• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Hopefully they can come out of this stronger then before.

Oh, I agree. I'd hate to see any company that supports my hobby to go under. I just want to see the fruits of this new deal before I start jumping for joy.

The article makes it sound like Yotsuba&! is still under their control, so hopefully we'll hear something about that soon. There's been no word about any of their manga titles since that pause in February.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
What was the last question asked? I couldn't hear it at all.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm frankly amazed to see them still functional. I doubt they'll recover, they've taken a lot of major blows. Personally, I'm not sure how they expect to negotiate beneficial contracts right now.

So Funimation will basically be the only anime company employing VAs in Texas for a while?

(I'm on a slow computer and can't get the vid to play, so if anything in my post is elaborated on there, I'm currently unable to see it.)
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
A thread with positive ADV news and it gets no love? Come on guys....
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
BTW, just to let you all know that ADV is doing ok, Matt told a few of us that the company's interested in the new Eva movie. I doubt that, if they were in dire straits, that they would even consider the idea of licensing it.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BTW, just to let you all know that ADV is doing ok, Matt told a few of us that the company's interested in the new Eva movie. I doubt that, if they were in dire straits, that they would even consider the idea of licensing it.

Well, unless it was an "put all their eggs in one basket" type of thing, but they just behave like they're in better shape than people here suggest.

Losing so many licenses can't help, but if they can quickly license several properties and get them out, that should help a lot.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If all else fails, license and release what you know will make money. Funimation has made a killing doing that with DBZ, so why shouldn't ADV do that with Eva?
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
And now I can't wait till Otakon.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I just wonder who ADV's new partner is.

My guess is Navarre. Wink

I really hope the do pull through this though. At this point I just wonder what kind of new stuff they will be going after??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm frankly amazed to see them still functional. I doubt they'll recover, they've taken a lot of major blows. Personally, I'm not sure how they expect to negotiate beneficial contracts right now.

So Funimation will basically be the only anime company employing VAs in Texas for a while?

(I'm on a slow computer and can't get the vid to play, so if anything in my post is elaborated on there, I'm currently unable to see it.)

You're being too negative again Richard lol. You better start being more positive or no more Ikki Tousen avatars for you young man. Those only go to happy and positive people lol. Honestly while recent events have hurt them I in no way see how they cannot recover given time and a good solid business relationship with their new partner. Time will tell but they are not new to the anime scene so ADV I'm sure knows what they must do. It's just a matter of getting enough support from their new partners to make them a viable and top company again. While the break from Sojitz did cause a nice chunk of series to be lost to them they still by far have the largest anime library of any American company so I would not count them out yet at all. The fact someone is willing to support them financially so soon after the break from Sojitz is a good sign IMO and that's how I'm going to view it. Hopeful and cautiously optimistic that the tide has turned for them. Maybe they'll even come out of this a bit smarter in terms of series they go after.
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Just watched the video of the panel. Really glad someone is taping these (thanks ANN!). I'm gonna repost some comments I already made on a different forum, but they seem more appropriate here since the video fo the panel's here...anyway--

I just can't understand how people believe anything that ADV says anymore.

- What were the excuses given in the past week or two about volumes of NHK/Kanon not shipping? First, "replicator issues" (untrue) then "licensing issues"? (Again, this same sort of uncertainty also occurred back in February.) If these titles "went with Sojitz" as stated in the panel (which IS true, obviously), they knew quite a while ago that they wouldn't be publishing future volumes of these series. This did not all happen this week folks.

- The excuse about Blu-ray; "Japan doesn't want Blu-rays of those titles before they're out in Japan" -- all you have to do is look at what FUNimation is doing/has done. They've put out several Dragon Ball Z movies on BRD now that aren't out on Blu-ray in Japan. Doesn't seem to be an impediment. (Also, as noted on another forum, the statement in the video contradicts an ADV announcement from Feb. 2 that they had titles already in the works for release on Blu-ray.)

- To clear something up...I used to work at Newtype (I left in November '07). The term of the license for Newtype USA did not "end" -- as was stated in the panel and as John Ledford surely knows. It wasn't scheduled to be up for renewal until the end of 2008. Kadokawa pulled the license early. It was not an unsuccessful venture, and in fact was one of the only ways ADV had left to market/advertise its own titles after the shutdown of ADVocates ('because they didn't have to pay for ads or episode placement on the DVD). It was quite a valuable asset to the company and was one of the few areas that'd been untouched by layoffs/paycuts in recent years. With its DVD business going in the toilet, ADV just wanted to squeeze more money out of the bad contract they'd signed to get the Newtype license in the first place. To that end they went to Kadokawa threatening to cease production of the magazine immediately unless they'd renegotiate the terms sooner. Instead, Kadokawa pulled the plug. Even as they gave Kadokawa that ultimatum, ADV was under the deluded impression that they could do their own magazine to replace it, not have to spend any money promoting it and get to keep the same money NTUSA was bringing in for themselves. This, however, is not how publishing works -- and you especially don't want to have to replace an established, successful brand with something completely new that lacked the most popular features of the old one.

- I can't believe they're still telling people the Eva movie is coming. What a joke. But it did make me laugh that that was the first question asked.

- Mutineer's Moon is still in the works? Yuh-huh.

- It's ridiculous that Ledford/Greenfield don't know about the current state of their web site. Or that it's been up/down for MONTHS. If you're in charge of a company and have a web site whose sole purpose is to sell your products, you would care if it was down. You'd certainly know of the problems that ADV's site has been having in recent months. THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS.

- "The people who run the manga are not here." Ledford's the CEO of the company. He's sitting right there. He doesn't know what's going on? Very Happy That's B.S.

- News of a new financial backer for ADV coming by Otakon? I'd bet Otakon comes and goes and we hear nothing new. Nor would I imagine they'll be announcing new titles anytime soon. We're in for thinpacks and repackagings, folks -- just as was said in the panel, we are stupid enough to continue buying those. Sad, really.

- ADV "is not dead." OK, so why then is their booth apparently "not an ADV booth," but a distribution company from one of the employees (as I think was stated in the 'preview' panel, based on the report posted here). It doesn't seem like we're getting the whole truth.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
What was the last question asked? I couldn't hear it at all.

I was at the panel. He was asking what studios they had working on the Eva Live-action movie. Apparently they can't say anything on it yet.

Also, was it just me or did it seem like they just showed that whole Kiba episode because they didn't want to answer that many questions? It took up about half of the panel time if not more...
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote
I seriously have the impression that the top guys at ADV need to either step down from their positions and retire or take advisory roles or outright sell the company to someone else (Funimation, Viz, another company). The amount of descent they have experienced is astounding.

At one point, they were the #1 anime distributer and had the largest library in North America. They had a recognized magazine to anime fans that also doubled as their advertising arm. The had the only linear anime channel. They had a manga line that had popular titles. Now, they have none of these. That seems to be bad management to me.

All their efforts for the past two years now do not belong to them. All future benefits (revenue) are going to another company. Imagine all the hard work you put into something and after its initial success, all future rewards were going to someone else. You probably would be very down and feel less motivated to stay in the business that you are in.

They have encountered numerous stops in their anime and manga line. If it is "replicator issues" as has been mentioned before, can you not get better equipment? Or hire personal who can fix these problems so they will not crop up?

Fans are wondering if they are here to stay. That seems to be bad if your consumer base does not have a going concern with you.

Their partnership with a Sojitz/ARM went south. Management should have seen if this was a good fit or not. If not, they should declined and found a better fit rather than try to pound a square peg into a round hole.

And the previous post by FullmetalCJ who worked at ADV for some time, as well as a recent blog post by Robert at Robert's Anime Corner gives me the impression there are people out there who do not seem confident in the business decisions by the higher ups. If I was in the shoes of a Japanese studio wanting my anime released in North America, I would look across the table and see faces who have squandered their top status, who have had failed business relationships with other Japanese companies and has a customer base that seems to believe by the day they will be out of business soon. I love ADV and what they have done for me and my anime viewing habits. They have a lot of titles that are good (Evangelion, Fullmetal Panic, Noir, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Excel Saga, etc) and I still believe that the ADV name brand still means something to fans and to a Japanese studios who would see their vast library they have accumulated over the years. It would be the management that I think gives fans and Japanese studios pause.

So while they may have created and built up a sucessful anime company from almost nothing, management has to look around and see that there have been one too many missteps for them to stay in their capacity any longer. If they want ADV to be around, they may have to fall on the sword and step down and leave it to new blood to fix the problems. Because trust in them may have left them.

Wow, what a long rant. Sorry about all that. Good night to you all and have a happy weekend at AX.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, was it just me or did it seem like they just showed that whole Kiba episode because they didn't want to answer that many questions? It took up about half of the panel time if not more...

Yeah, from the video, it's clear that they really wanted to push Q&A out of the way........not that I can blame them.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
FullmetalCJ wrote:
I just can't understand how people believe anything that ADV says anymore.

I must agree to what the "ex-Executive Editor of Newtype USA" is saying here. It does seem as though ADV has only lost some credibility by making up lame excuses for delays over the last few months. I can see some reasoning as to why they might have wanted to cover up the shaky ground with Sojitz on the off chance that things would work out, or to sell a few more copies of a soon to be discontinued title, but I do think that either reasoning is rather shady.

Tekkon Kinkreet also has been released in the States, but not in Japan.

FullmetalCJ wrote:
ADV was under the deluded impression that they could do their own magazine to replace it, not have to spend any money promoting it and get to keep the same money NTUSA was bringing in for themselves.

Thank you on the clarification on Newtype's status. It feels as though they are more interested in trying to cover their mistake here, and it seems as though there is another side to this story. It really feels as though they are trying to boost consumer/investor confidence, even if it means not being upfront at the panel. I'm sure that they are concerned that fans might not start collecting new releases from a company that might disappear mid series much like Geneon did. On the other hand I don't think fabricating stories is the right way around this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6