• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Knightstalkers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

But my major problem with the series is that, no matter how "epic" any of the story arcs get, ultimately, we end up in the same place we started. All the characters we met in that story arc are left behind, and we have just our crew again, nothing different. I guess what I'm saying is, no one dies, the main characters always win. And because of that, I can't really take it seriously. I know Luffy's going to beat the bad guy, I know Zoro's not actually going to die, I know Nami will make it out in time, etc. So, it's that and the fact that each story arc feels too disconnected from the previous one -- the events of one don't really affect the events of another.

Granted, I'm only in the Skypiea arc, but I doubt this formula changes much from here on out.

its not really the end of the story that matters, its how they get to the end point. we all know that the majority of the time the good guys win. and there is a point in the manga(hasn't been animated yet) where Zoro really does almost die, and you think, "oh my god, is Oda gonna kill off Zoro?" but alas he doesn't which leads to one of the deepest scenes in the history of manga.

Quote:
Frankly, I think his rubber attacks are dumb, too.

possible spoliers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzEWSxPEPMo&feature=related

Also, i saw Batman: Gotham Knight, and enjoyed most of it, i found Crossfire to be pretty bad but the rest of the film was thoroughly enjoyable.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Lol, with that wallpaper it looks like Haruhi is hitching a ride.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

People do die in One Piece for those complaining of no deaths.

spoiler[Gol D. Roger is the only (major) chracter to be killed in the series ][/spoiler]
Merkatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
What I liked most about Otoboku is that the male lead is not spineless wimp or lecherous pervert, (who gets punched and kicked left and right) like they (male leads) tends to be in these kind of shows. Instead, Mizuho is friendly, helpful, charismatic, smart, reliable, modest and he genuinely respects his female friends and classmates.

He seems perfect in many ways and that was refreshing for a change. It seems that male lead must wear a skirt and make-up to get all these positive characteristics.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
I'm liking Morton's collection despite the wallpaper. Nice mix of R1 and R2 releases there. Some of that must have costed him quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I heard One piece really takes off after Skypiea.I'm right after the Skypiea arc,transitioning into the next arc.Ep 210 or so.I haven't continued from there.I was pissed when ANN showed a few spoilers on the site when they were promoting the Alabasta movie.Movie 8.And the new character as a PVC.

Well, at least you were late to the party and only saw one of the new characters.

Anyways, if you don't read the manga, you are always going to be dodging spoilers when it comes to One Piece.

For Example, Funimation released the Wii video game "One Piece: Unlimited Adventure", which had spoilers for EVEN THE JAPANESE ANIME!
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
Merkatz wrote:
What I liked most about Otoboku is that the male lead is not spineless wimp or lecherous pervert, (who gets punched and kicked left and right) like they (male leads) tends to be in these kind of shows. Instead, Mizuho is friendly, helpful, charismatic, smart, reliable, modest and he genuinely respects his female friends and classmates.

He seems perfect in many ways and that was refreshing for a change. It seems that male lead must wear a skirt and make-up to get all these positive characteristics.

The lead of Kanon 2006 also has those characteristics, which made the series a lot more believable and the whole cast more likable. Still, such characters aren't found too often and that's a little sad.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
I thought that Gotham Knight was far more entertaining and visually appealing than The Animatrix, which was more miss than hit to me (especially with atrocious shorts like "Kid's Story" and "Matriculated"). To say that the visuals weren't appealing is just wrong. It's not even an opinion. The backgrounds, textures, and some of the sequences are just brilliantly done, especially in "In Darkness Dwells" and "Deadshot". It lacks any real substance, but then so did The Animatrix, and that didn't have the Goddamn Batman in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Josh, to your complaining about spoiler[no one dying], just wait. Things are going to get really emotional in a future arc. Also, spoiler[Luffy does lose a few fights].

For me, Arlong was the arc that hooked me. Now, I think it's the fourth best shonen of all time (Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, and Hunter x Hunter being 1-3).

Also, what do you mean characters are left behind? Oda has to rank as one of the best mangaka in terms of not neglecting supporting characters. I'm not saying you'll see them every 10 chapters, but very few characters are forgotten.

One Piece is an investment since Oda probably won't conclude the story until chapter 900 or so (and I'm fine with that since his quality is consistent), but overall, I think the investment will be more than worth it.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Gee. I sure hope whoever wrote that 1st Dark Knight story was the same writer who wrote it when it was on the that 1990s-era Batman cartoon and just wanted to see it done anime-style. Lazy? Oh yeah. But at least then it wouldn't be plagiarized.
se37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
One Piece also had that problem with me too... Early on I liked it but it was kind of a "I'll watch it just too see more" but I didn't start getting into the show till the Arlong Arc, it was during that Arc spoiler[in which Nami's mother does die] shows how deep this show can be. It's my favorite shounen series out of every other shounen series and I don't really care for shounen that much (even if I should). I stopped at Episode 200 during the G8 Arc Filler around the time when Funimation took control of One Piece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
loka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
i also recommend a rental of Gotham Knight before anyone not hardcore into batman buys sight unseen. it was okay. i think animatrix was considerably better.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
I never really liked The Animatrix. I think it was because to me, it felt scattered and rushed. So, I probably will stay away from GK.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Quote:
Considering Otoboku is based on a bishoujo ero-game, it's clearly aimed for guys. I mean, it's almost every Japanese male otaku's dream to dress up like a girl, go to an all-girl (possibly Catholic) school, and create a harem while making the girls feel like they're lesbians!

In some way's that a bit of a misleading answer. Whatever 'Otoboku' is, it's *definitely* not a traditional male-aimed harem comedy/T&A hijink go-round. From other reviews even the adult game it's based on is an 'emotional'-type adventure.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I heard One piece really takes off after Skypiea.I'm right after the Skypiea arc,transitioning into the next arc.Ep 210 or so.

That doesn't exactly sell the show to new fans, does it? "It kind of meanders for 200 episodes or so, but then it really takes off!" That seems kind of off-putting to me. But then, I always have had trouble getting into seemingly never-ending shows.

zanarkand princess wrote:
Well I have to say this is only the second time i have ever seen gender switching manga get a good review. The first being I my me strawberry eggs. I never really knew how to take this genre like who is it for? Girls? Guys?

It shouldn't matter who it's intended for. Give it a shot if you think it sounds interesting and then go from there.

Granted, it does seem like it will be more for a male audience, as was mentioned. Like some kind of hybrid of Kashimashi and MariMite maybe? Anyway, the show could have cross-gender appeal as well...no pun intended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4