• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Subbed Downloads of Jyu-Oh-Sei

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Your average fansub watcher is too ignorant and stubborn to check this out. For several reasons.

or perhaps the 'average fansub watcher' views a bit more anime than you do and therefore has more interest in a subscription service.

a diet of less than 5 hrs of anime per week amounts to about $120 per month. that's certainly off-putting to more than just scrooges. it would be less expensive to get those 5 hours of video entertainment from the movie theatre each week (seeing 13 movies per month).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
One should also not discount all the Canadian fans who couldn't use this even if they wanted to.
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
One shouldn't discount all the Mac, **Nix, and remaining Windows 2K/9X users still out there who can't use this service. Do they want to sell us Anime or a new OS??

I recall a survey once where it showed that although there were less Mac users they tended to spend quite a bit more money, individually, than the Windows users. That 10%-15% (Depends on whose stats you use) of total non XP/Non-Vista user base may be most of the potential sales.
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Jyu-Oh-Sei is one of the saddest tales of missed opportunity I've seen in anime.

Don't get me wrong, the show is fantastic but I can't help but feel that it could have been so much more as it seemed rushed to fit into 11 episodes.

Still a great show that I will gladly purchase on day 1 if Funi ever releases a DVD version, but I'm not really feeling this download version.
fireball

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
One should also not discount all the Canadian fans who couldn't use this even if they wanted to.

Not only them, i'm from europe. Many of my friends who are into anime buy only R1 releases simply because they are superior. You know, PAL transformation makes a whole mess of material originally in NTSC despite which filters are used after that. Often if not always the film material looks too soft afterwards. In the end they even want us to pay higher prices for their inferior releases, missing or no extras, etc etc. This is not an option for any serious fan. So far i've been importing my DVD's from the USA without any probs like everyone else here. It would suck SO hard f more companies are switching to exclusive NA online distribution. I hope distributors without those restriction like bost.tv etc. will become more established in the end.

Last edited by fireball on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
Is there any way to convert these videos to work on iTunes/an iPod? I really don't like to use my computer to watch anime, but I wouldn't balk at paying $1.99 an episode to have something to watch at work.

I thought Funi also sold anime on iTunes?
Senna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't mean ill in terms of a Jyu-Oh-Sei DVD release -- I'm not so hot on buying the series to own on my computer, but I definitely would put out the cash for DVDs, having seen and enjoyed the fansubs when it was first released in Japan.

I agree though, it could have been better if they hadn't rushed the ending for the 11 episode limit. Still, a very good show.
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Good to see they didn't forget about this series, at least.

Absolutely. It's the first time they're said a word about the title in 365+ days.... Then they come along and offer the whole thing at once O_O
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
CyberTRex8u wrote:
maaan, Anime is only getting more affordable and that makes me happy. They are even offering them English Subtitled for Anime Purists who prefer hearing the Japanese Voices instead. If fan-sub fans still have a problem with paying $1.99 (which i can probably find under my couch right now) for an episode, then they are being bigger penny pinchers than scrooge.

Your average fansub watcher is too ignorant and stubborn to check this out. For several reasons.

1: Wahhhh, professional American companies don't do subtitles as good as college kids who did it as a hobby. ("Whiny Elitist Syndrome")

2: Pfft, pay for anime? The Japanese get to watch it on TV for free, I want it for free. ("Cheap Teenager Syndrome")

3: That shows old! I've already seen it! They should have done this when it was first coming out! ("I Want It NOW!!!!11!!11!!! Disorder")

Typically, the average fansub viewer suffers from at least two of these disorders. It seems to be a more often than not a coupling of either #1 or #3 with #2.
You forget #4

4: Here I go with my monies ready to support the industry! Wait? US/CANADA ONLY?! Well, stuff you mr. industry, I'm going to go back to fansubs where they don't ask for money and don't kick me in the face for being Brittish. (The "We don't want your dirty money" problem)
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
Jyu-Oh-Sei is one of the saddest tales of missed opportunity I've seen in anime.

Don't get me wrong, the show is fantastic but I can't help but feel that it could have been so much more as it seemed rushed to fit into 11 episodes.

Still a great show that I will gladly purchase on day 1 if Funi ever releases a DVD version, but I'm not really feeling this download version.

Agreed. I found myself really getting into and then feeling rather empty with the abrupt ending.

And on the fansub fans coments: Some of us buy what we can afford of what we like when it becomes available in a reasonable way. I had to wait, what? 4 years for Beck in a box set? I watch with fansubs as things come out, then buy later IF i really like something. Anime dvds are an expensive invesment, and I'd be damned if id go in blindly or waste money on individual releases.

I spend alot of money on anime and manga, and I dont feel as though Im ripping anyone off by not buying every title i watch, cause I spend most of my free income on anime or manga anyway. I'm sorry that that is not seen as enough.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
johnmora wrote:
Is there any way to convert these videos to work on iTunes/an iPod? I really don't like to use my computer to watch anime, but I wouldn't balk at paying $1.99 an episode to have something to watch at work.

I thought Funi also sold anime on iTunes?

Yes, they do. They have a select few that you can choose from. Off the top of my head: Afro Samurai, Kiddy Grade, Samurai 7, Trinity Blood, Desert Punk, and Speed Grapher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I shelled out the dough for the bbb digibox on d2d when that first came out. I watched the entire series fansubbed but I really wanted to support the guys that made it (not to mention the ones bringing it over). Now I personally feel that the subtitles on R1 dvds are good and most of the time on par with (if not superior to) most fansubs. However, when I boot up the first ep and i'm greeted with bootleg quality video (that's bootleg vcd) i'm a bit pissed.

I'm willing to give funi the benefit of the doubt and pick up the first ep of this one. But if the video looks like it came from a self labeled vhs i bought at a con back when stereo was state of the art, then i'm done. You can't sell a product that's inferior to the free version (legal or otherwise). Jyu-Oh-Sei was a series I really enjoyed and one of the first I watched fansubbed in hd so admittedly my expectations are high. I do not however think it's unreasonable to expect dvd quality video and audio from them. Especially single audio at over 300 megs an episode.

P.S.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this funimation but there are pirates *gasp* who are making dual audio encodes of your releases ripped from the dvds in near perfect quality (with 5.1 tracks) for under 400 megs.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
maaan, Anime is only getting more affordable and that makes me happy. They are even offering them English Subtitled for Anime Purists who prefer hearing the Japanese Voices instead. If fan-sub fans still have a problem with paying $1.99 (which i can probably find under my couch right now) for an episode, then they are being bigger penny pinchers than scrooge.

They are. I remember when Death Note came out. It was $1.99 and people were saying that even $1 is too much.

Anyways, I hope this catches on. I prefer download over DVD any day of the week since my PC is hooked up to my TV and even if it wasn't my 360 can stream MP4, AVI and WMV from my PC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2