• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds .hack//G.U. Trilogy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuOtoko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
As a .hack fanatic I loved every series including ROOTS. However I can only stand all the series in Japanese (minus SIGN which was ok in English). As for the games, the original series was so-so but G.U. was ungodly great in English. The games in Japanese were far better since I have played both the English and Japanese versions. They better release Trilogy with he gaming voice cast. The Canadian studio butchered the ROOTS series. Plus since the Japanese version used the same voice cast as the game for the movie so should the English version. I have already seen Trilogy and yes they crammed a 3 part game into 1.5 hours which is kinda hard. So yes character development wasn't the greatest, missing characters was annoying and changed scenes had to happen. I have to admit the graphics were great, some of the changed scenes were fantastic (I technically don't want to sit down and watch something that I have already watched while playing.) and the movie overall was entertaining. So I really hope they use the game voice cast so I will be tempted to buy an English copy over a Japanese copy online.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
I love everything from Dot Hack including the original games, Legend of the Twilight, Sign, Roots, G.U. games, the ovas that came with the original Dot Hack video games and of course just like everything else i own i only listen to it in English and never once thought of any one of those series has had bad acting. As for this new one coming to America please bring it to Blu-ray for Americans to watch
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
I liked Roots quite a bit, I think it did an excelent job of setting up the events of the three games as well as the Cell novel. Should have been an episode or two shorter, though, as it overlaps the first game with a different version of the story. I honestly don't think you can enjoy the games to the fullest if you don't watch Roots first as you miss why Haseo feels the way he does towards different characters. The game itself does a pretty poor job of explaining the Twilight Brigade and what they were after or why Shino and Ovan are so important to him.

The Trilogy movie is alright, but it's more like a movie version of G.U.+ than the games (from what I've read of the manga). What it did take from the games was well written one scene in particular, spoiler[Atoli in the classroom after being infected with Aida] was even better than the scene from the game. However, the all new stuff that was new the movie was either unnecessary (B_st Haseo) or done better in the game (Xth Form). Not bad, but the story from the games was far more satisfying.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
Chicken008 wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
I hope this is better than ROOTS. That series was terrible.
It has more action, and is not drawn out (since its a movie Razz), and it looks great too.

and if you've seen the trailer you can tell its much more dark.It picks up right where roots left off.But even so I've gota buy roots before I watch this.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
I hope this is better than ROOTS. That series was terrible.

From what I've heard, it is. By far. 'course, saying that isn't placing the proverbial bar all that high, considering what an utter disappointment Roots turned out to be, but from what I've gleamed of Trilogy it takes off from the game's storyline and hits the ground running, which is great.
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally. Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
What is it people didn't like about Roots? I'm honestly surprised and confused by all of these negative responses. Frankly I liked it more than I liked Trilogy. Trilogy lacked the sense of a real story, it was more like a series of action clips that were mashed together, just going from scene to scene. Any development of Haseo's personality went spontaneously from one extreme to the next in the movie, unlike the gradual changes that got him to those extremes in the anime and games. Given the choice I'd rather watch Roots and play the games than watch Trilogy (though I'm trying to watch, read, and play everything involving .hack). Trilogy is good in concept, but the execution was severely lacking. What can i say, I prefer a good stogy, if I want a bunch of action clips I'll watch the video player in the games.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
I seem to have missed the news on the Trilogy anime and have been living in the dark all this time. Just to clear a few things up...

I've always wanted to watch .hack//Roots, but since I don't want to go through the hell again of playing three or four games like the original .hack ones, I have been putting it off indefinitely. But with this movie, does that mean I can watch the Roots series, skip the games and follow up with the Trilogy anime and get a sensible story from it?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Kinda. The first part of of the movie covers some of the more important parts, but takes out all of the fun stuff as well as putting key characters into comas rather than find a way to re-write them into the story (the same way the G.U.+ manga does). The second half (just about everything after the "classroom scene") is almost entirely new and doesn't take place as it does in the games.

The G.U. games themselves are much better than the original four. Better graphics, better AI, more enjoyable game-play, more things to do on the side like tourniment matches, steam bike racing, and mini-quests (bounty hunting, handing out fliers) and of course the mighty Online Jack (the G.U. version of Liminality, it's in the game as a real world news investigation show rather than a separate DVD).

Emerje
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, Emerje.

Emerje wrote:
The first part of of the movie covers some of the more important parts, but takes out all of the fun stuff as well as putting key characters into comas rather than find a way to re-write them into the story (the same way the G.U.+ manga does). The second half (just about everything after the "classroom scene") is almost entirely new and doesn't take place as it does in the games.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Quote:
The G.U. games themselves are much better than the original four. Better graphics, better AI, more enjoyable game-play, more things to do on the side like tourniment matches, steam bike racing, and mini-quests (bounty hunting, handing out fliers) and of course the mighty Online Jack (the G.U. version of Liminality, it's in the game as a real world news investigation show rather than a separate DVD).

I'm glad to hear it's more fun than the originals, but as much as I'd like to, I simply don't have the time to play through any lengthy RPG at this point. In case I were to change my mind, though, here's one more question: do the G.U. games allow you to listen to the Japanese soundtrack instead of the US dub like the old games did?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I'm glad to hear it's more fun than the originals, but as much as I'd like to, I simply don't have the time to play through any lengthy RPG at this point. In case I were to change my mind, though, here's one more question: do the G.U. games allow you to listen to the Japanese soundtrack instead of the US dub like the old games did?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it does, maybe someone else knows. It does have an all-star cast as far as English voice actors go with talents like Yuri Lowenthal, Steven Jay Blum, Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Wendee Lee just to name a few of the many actors involved if that interests you at all.

Emerje
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It does have an all-star cast as far as English voice actors go with talents like Yuri Lowenthal, Steven Jay Blum, Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Wendee Lee just to name a few of the many actors involved if that interests you at all.

I'm afraid it doesn't, but thank you for the information anyway. Perhaps someone else knows the answer to my question?
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
I thought they'd had this for a while... or maybe that was just my mind (and Wikipedia) playing tricks on me again.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the voice cast decision (though I think it's weird that ROOTS and the games have different casts to begin with), though more Barbie Shino would be cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2