• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Asks for Info on Suspected Fraud by Ex-Staffer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lampbane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Otakon's long gone and a memory now. I fail to see the point in all of this.

Maybe because he did it last year too, and would have done it next year if they hadn't of caught him?

(I do know someone who may have bought badges from this guy last year, don't know if I can get them to come forward, though.)
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
There are the occasional contests and stuff, and the ability to renew your membership--no muss, no fuss--through the online system when registration opens for next year.
psipsy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I was wondering why my badge had He-Man on it.

Y'know, there are people that would have paid extra for that.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, let me get this straight.

An organization suspects that one of their people who runs things is defrauding them.

So they don't go to the police to report a possible crime, they post his name on the Internet, in public.

Let's turn that around.

Your name is Jack Jones and you live in Canton, Ohio. You bear a resemblance to another Jack Jones, unrelated to you, across town.

That Jack Jones was announced as a child molestor on the internet.

So what Otakon has done is basically set this guy up for possible vigilantism if someone is so inclined, because they know his name, they know he was in Baltimore on such and such dates, and they can probably social engineer more information out of that.

This news post should be heavily, heavily edited to remove the name, Otakon should redact it from the Internet, and they should go to the cops if they think someone defrauded them and let law enforcement do just that.

This seriously pisses me off - it's called due process of law for a reason.

BellosTheMighty wrote:

For ripping off people by selling fake badges? No sympathy. Actually, I can't see how ANYONE would have sympathy, unless... are you the guy in question? 0_o

OK, then let's try it your way: Otakon heard that < insert BellosTheMighty's real name here > tried to seduce a 12-year old girl in public. They are looking for any information on him/her. Please contact Otakon with any information you have.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I am reading this differently:

Quote:
Otakorp, the non-profit organization that runs the Otakon convention in Maryland, reports that a former staffer named Geoff Beebe had been selling fraudulent convention memberships at a discount.

Not the "alleged" part. It seems pretty confirmed that he actually DID it.

Quote:
While Beebe allegedly claimed to have permission from Otakorp's board of directors to do so, the organization states that he received no such permission and was committing fraud on both Otakorp and his buyers. Otakorp is asking the general public for information on this matter through its webform or other means of contact.

The "alleged" part is what he actually said to people as he was selling the badges.

So, according to the report, Otakorp knows he did the actual deed. What they do not know is exactly how it went down. (Did he randomly go up to people on the street in the "Psst, I have Otakon badges cheap" type of way? Did he only sell them to friends/family?)

All of these people claiming he was defamed are wrong. Whether or not Otakorp decides to prosecute him has nothing to do with him actually doing the deed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
What this man did isn't right at all and he does deservered to be punished. Since his name is pubicly availible, he should also have this incident permenently recored in his background file and should be noted every time he appplies for a job.

Also, Otakon should ban him from ever going a Otakon event ever again.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
Okay, let me get this straight.

An organization suspects that one of their people who runs things is defrauding them.

So they don't go to the police to report a possible crime, they post his name on the Internet, in public.

From the con's website announcement:
Quote:
At this time the Board of Directors has taken what it considers to be appropriate measures with respect to the situation. However, we wish to investigate the full extent of Geoff's actions. If you have any questions regarding this incident or have information relevant to our ongoing investigation, please contact the Board of Directors...

It seems to me that they might have gotten in touch with the authorities. The purpose of putting the word out is to find out just how many people he defrauded. The fact that this announcement comes so late after Otakon could be an indication that they didn't want to release his name prematurely, before knowing if he really was guilty or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

So what Otakon has done is basically set this guy up for possible vigilantism if someone is so inclined, because they know his name, they know he was in Baltimore on such and such dates, and they can probably social engineer more information out of that.

Yes, because Batman has nothing better to do with his time than to swop down on mild anime convention fraud. I'm sure he's curled up in his closet as we speak, fists whitening around a crowbar.

Quote:

This news post should be heavily, heavily edited to remove the name, Otakon should redact it from the Internet, and they should go to the cops if they think someone defrauded them and let law enforcement do just that.

This seriously pisses me off - it's called due process of law for a reason.

Due process is for the courts and officers of the courts. This is a business matter. Otakorp feels thy've been defrauded and are seeking more information on the matter, and to get that information it's necessary for them to say who they're talking about. It's no different than when the police list someone as a "person of interest" in a crime, they need to find that guy to find out what he knows, and what others might know about him. There's nothing wrong about how they seem to be handeling this, although I can see why the criminal might not appreciate getting busted.

Quote:

OK, then let's try it your way: Otakon heard that < insert BellosTheMighty's real name here > tried to seduce a 12-year old girl in public. They are looking for any information on him/her. Please contact Otakon with any information you have.

See, now that would be slander, because you have no reason to believe that anything about that even borders the truth, and are saying what you know to be most likely a lie. That's completely different than what Otakorp is doing.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Also, Otakon should ban him from ever going a Otakon event ever again.

Heck, the other conventions are probably going to get wind of this as well. So, I guess he might not be able to find himself working for other conventions if he really is guilty, let alone even go to one.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
But if it's fraud then it's a police matter not a "let's ruin this guy's reputation on the internet." matter. If he has a counter claim, then the lawyers need to slug it out. Both sides lawyers will probably be slugging it out now anyways with this escalation. There are just ways to do this and ways not to do this.

Aresef wrote:
There are the occasional contests and stuff, and the ability to renew your membership--no muss, no fuss--through the online system when registration opens for next year.

So basically, that membership for the current year doesn't mean a lot after the con is over. Laughing
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Not at the moment, no. But things may come up.

And think about the fact that this is coming out two weeks after the con. The dude probably fessed up and they're trying to figure out who else he scammed and how.
denkigrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But if it's fraud then it's a police matter not a "let's ruin this guy's reputation on the internet." matter. If he has a counter claim, then the lawyers need to slug it out. Both sides lawyers will probably be slugging it out now anyways with this escalation. There are just ways to do this and ways not to do this.

Aresef wrote:

So basically, that membership for the current year doesn't mean a lot after the con is over. Laughing

Otakon isn't trying to ruin his "internet rep." This is the same as the news reporting someone who participates in defrauding a major company. AnimeNewsNetwork reports new related to the Anime community. He can't sue for defimation since he has already plead guilty to selling the badges. His counter-claim is that Otakon gave him permission, which they did not.

Now they are trying to assess the situation, and figure out the full extent of the problem so that they can prevent this from happening again. He broke the law, he broke the trust of the staff, he broke the trust of his friends. He really did something extremely shameful. Otakon isn't run by paid staffers. Everything every one of those staffers does is 100% volunteer. All of the money gathered by the convention goes into next years convention. His fraudulent activities only hurt the convention by skewing membership numbers, and making it harder for those that might be interested in their membership benefits, regardless of how you and I feel about them, to get them. Not to mention the personal profit he is walking away with at everyones expense.

There will be a legal battle, and in the end he'll lose. However Otakon needs to figure out what the impact of this is, and find ways to prevent problems like this from happening in the future.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
denkigrve wrote:

Otakon isn't trying to ruin his "internet rep." This is the same as the news reporting someone who participates in defrauding a major company. AnimeNewsNetwork reports new related to the Anime community. He can't sue for defimation since he has already plead guilty to selling the badges. His counter-claim is that Otakon gave him permission, which they did not.

Now they are trying to assess the situation, and figure out the full extent of the problem so that they can prevent this from happening again. He broke the law, he broke the trust of the staff, he broke the trust of his friends. He really did something extremely shameful. Otakon isn't run by paid staffers. Everything every one of those staffers does is 100% volunteer. All of the money gathered by the convention goes into next years convention. His fraudulent activities only hurt the convention by skewing membership numbers, and making it harder for those that might be interested in their membership benefits, regardless of how you and I feel about them, to get them. Not to mention the personal profit he is walking away with at everyones expense.

There will be a legal battle, and in the end he'll lose. However Otakon needs to figure out what the impact of this is, and find ways to prevent problems like this from happening in the future.

If there wasn't a trial, then there is no "guilty" verdict. This is a "he said, she said" trial in the court of public opinion. And now that this has escalated to the internet, the non-profit is going to spend more money on legal fees and less on consultants.

They don't need to post on the internet to figure out how to prevent this from happening next year. This is what you hire consultants for.

They should have a complete list of registrants because those badges would have been caught on entry and the people re-registered hopefully. So they could have done this by mail. It's not likely that the ones with the "fake" badges that weren't caught are going to come forward.

They should just fix their security and management issues, drop the drama and call it a day.
MJP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Otakon and Otakorp do not have a mandate to investigate criminal fraud. If they suspect fraud, they need to go to the police and have them investigate it. That is what the police are for.

Due process of the law applies to everyone everywhere in the US (unless, apparently, someone declares you an unlawful enemy combatant for reasons that aren't open to public scrutiny), period. It does not mean that Otakon or any other private entity can do whatever they feel like to enforce the law on their own. I doubt anyone will care enough to bring Otakon's own extralegal actions before the police, but honestly, this entire thing is a sad example of how people on the internet think that their brand of justice extends to the organizations they work with or their social circles.

It is the job of the law to oversee any settlements between parties when a law is broken. Fraud is not a civil matter that can just be amicably worked with; I'm not sure where Maryland law stands on this but there has to be some provision that states it needs to be done through the courts.

Long story short:

A) Ohoni, anyone can do whatever they want with this guy's name and information. You're straw-manning the fact that he's now open to public records inquiries. It's not hard to swipe someone's identity or find out information about him. Otakon has left him open to this.

B) See above - due process of the law is everywhere, otherwise we are in anarchy. You are not obeying the law only in the courtrooms - you're supposed to be obeying it everywhere, or you will have the law enforced upon you.

C) See A - despite whatever signed agreements he has adhered to, slander/libel is to be decided in court, by a jury. Not by you, me, or Otakon.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
Otakon and Otakorp do not have a mandate to investigate criminal fraud. If they suspect fraud, they need to go to the police and have them investigate it. That is what the police are for.

Due process of the law applies to everyone everywhere in the US (unless, apparently, someone declares you an unlawful enemy combatant for reasons that aren't open to public scrutiny), period. It does not mean that Otakon or any other private entity can do whatever they feel like to enforce the law on their own. I doubt anyone will care enough to bring Otakon's own extralegal actions before the police, but honestly, this entire thing is a sad example of how people on the internet think that their brand of justice extends to the organizations they work with or their social circles.

It is the job of the law to oversee any settlements between parties when a law is broken. Fraud is not a civil matter that can just be amicably worked with; I'm not sure where Maryland law stands on this but there has to be some provision that states it needs to be done through the courts.

Long story short:

A) Ohoni, anyone can do whatever they want with this guy's name and information. You're straw-manning the fact that he's now open to public records inquiries. It's not hard to swipe someone's identity or find out information about him. Otakon has left him open to this.

B) See above - due process of the law is everywhere, otherwise we are in anarchy. You are not obeying the law only in the courtrooms - you're supposed to be obeying it everywhere, or you will have the law enforced upon you.

C) See A - despite whatever signed agreements he has adhered to, slander/libel is to be decided in court, by a jury. Not by you, me, or Otakon.

Fraud is under civil law and criminal law, it falls under the classification of an Economic tort in the case of civil. Fraud in the civil sense is when you intentionally make a false representation of a material fact, with the intent to deceive, which is reasonably relied upon by another person to that person's detriment. Said person can be taken to court to recover monetary damages form the fraud as well as costs associated with damage done do to the fraud (goodwill).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3