• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shin chan Season 3 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You're utterly missing the point. This is a parody dub, not one that was ever meant to be treated as a seriously accurate portrayal of the original content.

And your missing the point as well. The charm of Shin-chan was that it spoke to our childhoods that we once had. The fact that we gave our parents grief while they raised us. The fact that we did some mischievous things and that we could get away with things that nowadays all grown up could result in a sexual harassment lawsuit. Friends whom would be privy to the mischief. And all in a humorous way.

The parody dub is a mere shell of the original dialogue. It relies on crass dialogue and unnatural actions of the characters. Instead of a natural family show about a mischievous young boy and his life, we have a stupid unrealistic "parody" that is trying too hard to become Family Guy.

We don't have a naive wisecracking boy, we have a spoiled brat who puts Bart Simpson to shame. We don't have flustered parents, we have parents whom should be turned into Child Services. We don't have normal friends, we have foul mouthed friends. We don't have caring teachers, we have teachers that border on pedophilia. And so forth and so on.....

The FUNimation dub is extremely insulting to the fans that saw the original and loved it back then. When I first saw it on [adult swim], I was taken aback by it. This is not how I remember seeing it from back then. And to find out I can't get a updated sub of the show? Crazy!!

If FUNimation wants me to buy their Shinchan, they need to release the original episodes. Otherwise, my money goes elsewhere.

Edited to add: Party Join Us is sung better in Japanese!! English is crap!!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And your missing the point as well. The charm of Shin-chan was that it spoke to our childhoods that we once had. The fact that we gave our parents grief while they raised us. The fact that we did some mischievous things and that we could get away with things that nowadays all grown up could result in a sexual harassment lawsuit. Friends whom would be privy to the mischief. And all in a humorous way.

What little I've seen of the unedited series never convinced me that it was intended as anything more than frivolous fun.

Quote:
The parody dub is a mere shell of the original dialogue. It relies on crass dialogue and unnatural actions of the characters. Instead of a natural family show about a mischievous young boy and his life, we have a stupid unrealistic "parody" that is trying too hard to become Family Guy.

I find Funi's dub more consistently funny than Family Guy. (But I don't have a high opinion of Family Guy, so. . .)

Quote:
We don't have a naive wisecracking boy, we have a spoiled brat who puts Bart Simpson to shame. We don't have flustered parents, we have parents whom should be turned into Child Services. We don't have normal friends, we have foul mouthed friends. We don't have caring teachers, we have teachers that border on pedophilia. And so forth and so on.....

And that's the point of the dub, just as much as what you say is supposedly the point of the original.

Quote:
If FUNimation wants me to buy their Shinchan, they need to release the original episodes. Otherwise, my money goes elsewhere.

Then don't. This version is clearly not aimed at fans of the original, which apparently weren't considered to be a big enough market to make releasing a straight-up version cost-effective.

Quote:
Edited to add: Party Join Us is sung better in Japanese!! English is crap!!

I've heard this in the original Japanese and did not find it to be strikingly better that way.

AilisKnil wrote:
Shin-chan is hardly an exception to Funimation's repertoire of botched releases. . . Frankly, I find their practices insulting as a consumer, and it's a wonder they have so many fans to dance around them as they consistently churn out sub-par products.

What's "botched" about this release? Funimation does what they do to this series intentionally, and a lot of people love it or they wouldn't keep doing it. You may be insulted by their practices, but they consistently turn out popular series at a reasonable price with full English dubs, Blu-Rays, and (usually) Extras. My only complaint about them is how incredibly long the turn-around is between licensing and release on some of their acquisitions.

Quote:
Like I said, it's wonderful, but a professional company that should, ideally, be releasing anime in formats as close to the original as possible should not be doing this.

See comments above about how there isn't a market for this as a straight-up release. Would you rather not see it come out at all?

Anyway, this is not a series I feel passionately about (I'm mostly just writing this response because I have downtime at work and am bored), so this is the last lengthy reply I'll type up on this subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Key wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
"Art : D"
It's called a art style.

Yes, and it's an ugly art style. (The Simpsons, contrarily, is immensely better.) What's your point?

Your a pretty spot on reviewer Key and more often than not, I do enjoy reading your reviews. I have great respect for anyone that takes time to see series for it' is and takes to the time to truly understand that.

Okay fair enough the art style certainly isn't the show's strong point and maybe it's not as modernized as shows produced in 2011-2012, but the series has two-three aspects of this show that make up for the art.

Shin-Chan's art style isn't exactly beloved by all, but that doesn't mean it's bad or anything like that in strict technical terms. Even as far as artwork goes, one can appreciate the stylization which some animators tried to achieve over the course of years. Benjamin Ettinger from AniPages has written an interesting analysis of the stylistic evolution of Shin-chan's art and animation style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
wall of text

The only question I
Ever thought was hard
Is 'Do I like Kirk
Or do I like Picard?'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2