• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Compiler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Back when DVDs were taking over, I used to look for cheap used VHS tapes because I didn't have much money. As a result I've got the two Compiler tapes from ADV. My impression was that episode one was great fun, but number two was appallingly boring--apparently this had originally been the first episode, but the order was wisely changed for the R1 release. Also, the long Festa episode (Vol. 2) was much better than number two but not as good as number one.

P.S: I like the theme song, "I Was Born To Fall In Love"--the short version, that is. The ED song is nice, too.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, why don't I dust off my tapes and rewatch Compiler? I've already rewatched Magic Users Club and Orguss 02 as a result of seeing them mentioned here.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the casting features some ADV's brightest stars of the era, including Brett Weaver (as the obnoxious Nacchi), Jessica Calvello (giving a sweet but violent edge to Assembler)
I thought Calvello was primarily based in New York...did she start out in Houston and later move to NYC? I just remember reading about how they flew her in from NY to work on Excel Saga.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Locomotion aired all 3 episodes in Latin America. The subtitles were crap (Download and Upload were called "Down Road" and "Up Rroad", for Christ's sake) but the offbeat humor still came across very well, although many cultural references were lost on me. I wish I could read the manga and see how the whole story began.

Assembler also makes a guest appearance in the Silent Möbius TV series, another show I got to watch on Locomotion with terrible subtitles.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I rewatched the "Yin" episode and the Festa. My VHS tapes were the subtitled version, which may not have been as funny to a westerner as the dubbed version from ADV. Still, I prefer minimal localization even if I don't "get" some of the jokes as a result. I remember the Yin episode totally cracked me up the first time I watched it, but less so in additional viewings; I guess this sort of humor needs to take you completely by surprise, and even vague memories of what to expect spoils a lot of the fun. Still, it remained enjoyable. Though the Yin is far more madcap than the Festa, the latter is not without humor by any means. It gets dramatic, too. I was pleased by the mix; the threat which Compiler must meet (from her evil "twin", so to speak) didn't seem patronizing at all and I could really get into it. Best of all, I more-or-less understood why things worked out the way they did, which is not something I can say about a lot of anime.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I've known about this one for a long time-I ripped it to dvd and uploaded it (the dubbed version)-there's another version out there but my rip is much better-about as good as it will ever get being as it's vhs sourced. It's quite funny and irreverent.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I've known about this one for a long time-I ripped it to dvd and uploaded it (the dubbed version)-there's another version out there but my rip is much better-about as good as it will ever get being as it's vhs sourced. It's quite funny and irreverent.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
danth78 wrote:
Coderjoe wrote:
One of the Abenobashi DVDs happened to come up as Compiler on one of the sites the program was getting data from.
Yeah, I bought that Abenobashi DVD because a Half.com seller had it listed as Compiler! I had heard that Compiler was never released on DVD, but it looked pretty convincing, so I took the chance and bought it. Sure enough, I got the Abenobashi DVD instead. I figured it was an ISBN mix up.

Yeah, I wound up buying an extra copy of that abenobashi dvd because it was listed as compiler on half.com. I returned it, though.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
danth78 wrote:
Coderjoe wrote:
One of the Abenobashi DVDs happened to come up as Compiler on one of the sites the program was getting data from.
Yeah, I bought that Abenobashi DVD because a Half.com seller had it listed as Compiler! I had heard that Compiler was never released on DVD, but it looked pretty convincing, so I took the chance and bought it. Sure enough, I got the Abenobashi DVD instead. I figured it was an ISBN mix up.

Yeah, I wound up buying an extra copy of that abenobashi dvd because it was listed as compiler on half.com. I returned it, though.

The two of you reminded me of this, and I'm tried to report it to Half.com, but the "Questionable or Prohibited" form isn't working—I ended up sending it via the "How do I report an item that I believe to be in violation of the Half.com Infringement Guidelines?" form.

A summary of the evidence:

ANN: "ADV Delays Releases"

Anime on DVD: "Compiler on dvd?" thread (linked to Shawne Kleckner's post)

• The UPC Database entry for 7027270000038

• A Google search for [UPC 702727066122]

The Google search also shows that a VibrantSound.com also lists Compiler on DVD under that UPC, so I E-mailed them for good measure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2