• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Theatrical Trailer Pushed to Later in 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
You just know someone who worked at FOX leaked the trailer.

No, we don't know that. And no, it is not "the" theatrical trailer, despite all the bloggers who jumped the gun by thinking that it is.

Stop testor, Gatsu's reasoning strikes me as compleatly valid in this case. I can tell you from experience that companies engage in these kinds of leakage/cover-ups all the time.

They may not have been the ones who leaked it, but they certainly planned on using it as a teaser trailer.

As demonstrated by the IGN source, Gatsu's reasoning is based on faulty assumptions that were discounted back in August. It was not completely valid or certain.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
You just know someone who worked at FOX leaked the trailer.

No, we don't know that. And no, it is not "the" theatrical trailer, despite all the bloggers who jumped the gun by thinking that it is.

Stop testor, Gatsu's reasoning strikes me as compleatly valid in this case. I can tell you from experience that companies engage in these kinds of leakage/cover-ups all the time.

They may not have been the ones who leaked it, but they certainly planned on using it as a teaser trailer.

The rumor is one of the bloggers got their hands on the DVD that was played at one of the film expos and has slowly been leaking stuff.

Oh yeah, FOX has attributed the delay to special effects work as noted by some rep.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, when I watched speed racer on dvd I was like "I never REALLY watched the show, but it seems rather like what I do remember of the cartoon." But the DB trailer? I just don't see it. I don't think it'll necessarily suck as much as it could, I mean I really did enjoy Speed Racer, but I don't even know what is going on in the Db trailer at this point.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Please demonstrate how a photo or an interview proves that an October trailer date was guaranteed.

Most studios generally release official set photos and interviews to create anticipation for a film, or at least the teaser/trailer for the film. It's a little something "marketing".

Quote:
Now, that was an official change of plans, no question. However, the trailer date was neither official nor set in stone.

Even if that's the case[And IGN is the only site which you're citing for your argument, while the other entertainment sites said the Max Payne attachment was official.], the fact that they chose to change their minds at the last minute[I.E. a week before Max Payne, one of their few tent-poles this year.] clearly proves that they only changed the date because of the fan reaction, and not because they "always" intended to advertise DB at a later time.

Quote:
This is a video of the work in progress for potential licensers--it can't show licensed items when its purpose is get licenses.

You can show prototypes of products you'd like to sell, and ask people to invest in them, though.

Quote:

"It is because of rampant speculation like what is written above that a cease-and-desist order is not enough."

There's rampant speculation on every fan site.

Quote:
As demonstrated by the IGN source, Gatsu's reasoning is based on faulty assumptions that were discounted back in August.

Again, IGN is one site out of a million, and even they said it was "expected" to be in front of Max Payne. Also, your premise was predicated on the argument that "nothing is guaranteed until the special effects and requisite approvals are in place." But that so-called 'show teaser' looks like they finished quite a lot of FX already. And it's funny that the studio reneged on "requisite approvals" only after that teaser got leaked on-line-again a week before Max Payne's release. Plus, without Harry Potter in the way this year, you'd think that FOX would be thrilled to get that kind of attention.

Gage:
Quote:
Dragonball is just one of those series that should not be adapted into live-action, simply put. It'd be hard to match it as a live-action film.

It can work, if you have the right FX people. [See the Matrix sequels, Fantastic Four 2, and Kung Fu Hustle.] But it'll blow if you let the idiots who gave us LXG or Elektra call the shots.

Protoman:
Quote:
Stop testor, Gatsu's reasoning strikes me as compleatly valid in this case.

I doesn't matter whether it's valid, as long as testor proves me wrong. Rolling Eyes

Primus:
Quote:
The rumor is one of the bloggers got their hands on the DVD that was played at one of the film expos and has slowly been leaking stuff.

No industry person would "give away" a DVD to some random stranger, or leave it lying around, unless they wanted a pink slip the next day-guaranteed.

Quote:
Oh yeah, FOX has attributed the delay to special effects work as noted by some rep.

It's unusual for it to take this long to even have an official trailer. Del Toro would never get either Hellboy greenlit, if it took him the better part of the year to finish the main FX-I'll tell you that. WB at least had the excuse of having to worry about Iron Man and Ledger's death, when it came to holding out on TDK. And the first Fantastic Four had a lot more competition that year than DBZ, hence its delay.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
*sighs.* I didn't even believe that was the official teaser trailer, honestly.

I guess most people on this thread did believe it? I was skeptical.

Next to that, I'll have to agree with testorschoice. They did say their target date was in October, but it wasn't guaranteed.

- A lot of people want to believe that it is the official trailer.
- It is the official trailer.
- It's not the official trailer, but indeed a promo (Especially if London was the only place it was shared).
- A lot of people don't believe that it is the official trailer.
- Rumors can be inaccurate and misleading.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Please demonstrate how a photo or an interview proves that an October trailer date was guaranteed.

Most studios generally release official set photos and interviews to create anticipation for a film, or at least the teaser/trailer for the film. It's a little something "marketing".

You avoided the question. Please demonstrate how a photo or an interview proves that an October trailer date was guaranteed, as you claimed earlier.

Quote:
Quote:
Now, that was an official change of plans, no question. However, the trailer date was neither official nor set in stone.

Even if that's the case[And IGN is the only site which you're citing for your argument, while the other entertainment sites said the Max Payne attachment was official.],

Please demonstrate which site said that the October 17 date was official and set in stone, and why that site is more trustworthy than IGN.

Quote:
the fact that they chose to change their minds at the last minute[I.E. a week before Max Payne, one of their few tent-poles this year.] clearly proves that they only changed the date because of the fan reaction, and not because they "always" intended to advertise DB at a later time.

Please demonstrate that this decision was made at the last minute and not before it was revealed.

Quote:
Quote:
This is a video of the work in progress for potential licensers--it can't show licensed items when its purpose is get licenses.

You can show prototypes of products you'd like to sell, and ask people to invest in them, though.

You're still misunderstanding. This is a video to get merchandising partners who actually make the products. You're jumping the gun.

Quote:
Quote:

"It is because of rampant speculation like what is written above that a cease-and-desist order is not enough."

There's rampant speculation on every fan site.

Right, so that's why a cease-and-desist order is not enough.

Quote:
Quote:
As demonstrated by the IGN source, Gatsu's reasoning is based on faulty assumptions that were discounted back in August.

Again, IGN is one site out of a million, and even they said it was "expected" to be in front of Max Payne. Also, your premise was predicated on the argument that "nothing is guaranteed until the special effects and requisite approvals are in place." But that so-called 'show teaser' looks like they finished quite a lot of FX already. And it's funny that the studio reneged on "requisite approvals" only after that teaser got leaked on-line-again a week before Max Payne's release. Plus, without Harry Potter in the way this year, you'd think that FOX would be thrilled to get that kind of attention.

The other reliable sites didn't say that October date was official or set in stone, despite what you claim. You still don't understand the process. The studio is not giving out the requisite approvals; it's obtaining the approvals from others for the trailer. And your timeline is still a leap of assumption on your part.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Please demonstrate how a photo or an interview proves that an October trailer date was guaranteed, as you claimed earlier.

Because most studios don't wait six months after set and promo photos to put out a trailer?

Quote:
Please demonstrate which site said that the October 17 date was official and set in stone, and why that site is more trustworthy than IGN.

The site IGN cited would be a good example. And if IGN can cite Coming Soon, then they should have a good reputation. Whether or not that makes CS more trustworthy than IGN is irrelevant.

Quote:
Please demonstrate that this decision was made at the last minute

It's only a week before Max Payne opens, and if FOX wanted to change dates for the trailer, they would have announced it at least a month in advance, since-again-it's one of the few tent-poles they have this year, and they'd want the largest possible target audience for DB.

Quote:
and not before it was revealed.

The fact that the company chose to issue a statement after-and a few days after, to boot-the leaked trailer was on-line, and not before, would suggest that the studio, at the very least, had intentionally wanted to gauge reactions to it. Otherwise, they'd have acted a lot faster to shut down most of the offending sites. [FOX certainly had no problems doing so when it came to fan sites for Buffy and The Simpsons, either.]

Quote:
This is a video to get merchandising partners who actually make the products.

Then why couldn't they just show the toy companies poses, descriptions, and/or head-shots of the characters? Why did they emphasize the action scenes, when they should be emphasizing the demographic appeal of said (potential) franchise?

Quote:

But they chose that particular fan site to issue a statement.

Quote:
The other reliable sites didn't say that October date was official or set in stone, despite what you claim.

They didn't say it wasn't set in stone, though.

Quote:
The studio is not giving out the requisite approvals; it's obtaining the approvals from others for the trailer.

Which "others" need to approve it? It owns the effing movie and the use of any images thereof! That's copyright law, bub. Even
amateur bootleggers know at least that much.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Actually I don't want to believe that was the trailer. I'm hoping it was late april fools prank, and the real Dragonball film with Krillin will hit the theaters soon. And maybe he'll be a kid instead of a teen. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Please demonstrate how a photo or an interview proves that an October trailer date was guaranteed, as you claimed earlier.

Because most studios don't wait six months after set and promo photos to put out a trailer?

Again, that doesn't prove that an October trailer date was guaranteed, like you claimed, as opposed to next month or the month after. You're still speculating without proof.

Quote:
Quote:

The site IGN cited would be a good example. And if IGN can cite Coming Soon, then they should have a good reputation. Whether or not that makes CS more trustworthy than IGN is irrelevant.

IGN cited Coming Soon by rightfully pointing out that Coming Soon is only making a "claim." IGN then double-checked and corrected Coming Soon's claim. It is relevant, since most people find IGN more trustworthy than Coming Soon--especially in this case, since IGN turned out to be right.

Quote:
Quote:
Please demonstrate that this decision was made at the last minute

It's only a week before Max Payne opens, and if FOX wanted to change dates for the trailer, they would have announced it at least a month in advance, since-again-it's one of the few tent-poles they have this year, and they'd want the largest possible target audience for DB.

You're still missing the point. Fox didn't announced the October trailer date as official and set in stone in the first place.

Quote:
Quote:
and not before it was revealed.

The fact that the company chose to issue a statement after-and a few days after, to boot-the leaked trailer was on-line, and not before, would suggest that the studio, at the very least, had intentionally wanted to gauge reactions to it. Otherwise, they'd have acted a lot faster to shut down most of the offending sites. [FOX certainly had no problems doing so when it came to fan sites for Buffy and The Simpsons, either.]

Again, you're still calling this "the leaked trailer" when it was a licensing video. All your assumptions are based off that flawed premise.

Quote:
Quote:
This is a video to get merchandising partners who actually make the products.

Then why couldn't they just show the toy companies poses, descriptions, and/or head-shots of the characters? Why did they emphasize the action scenes, when they should be emphasizing the demographic appeal of said (potential) franchise?

They showed head shots and poses, and it's not just toy companies that attend the expo. You're still fixated on a misleading red herring.

Quote:
Quote:

But they chose that particular fan site to issue a statement.

And?

Quote:
Quote:
The other reliable sites didn't say that October date was official or set in stone, despite what you claim.

They didn't say it wasn't set in stone, though.

Which is why IGN corrected that info in August. And turned out to be right.

Quote:
Quote:
The studio is not giving out the requisite approvals; it's obtaining the approvals from others for the trailer.

Which "others" need to approve it? It owns the effing movie and the use of any images thereof! That's copyright law, bub. Even
amateur bootleggers know at least that much.

Again, you misunderstand the approval process. Depending on the contracts, the studio has to obtain clearances from the talent, the music rights holders, and a host of other companies. This isn't an issue of copyright laws, it's an issue of contractual obligations.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Actually I don't want to believe that was the trailer. I'm hoping it was late april fools prank, and the real Dragonball film with Krillin will hit the theaters soon. And maybe he'll be a kid instead of a teen. Wink

It looks like an official trailer to me.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

It looks like an official trailer to me.

Trailers and promos are two different things, though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't even understand why this getting pushed back is such a big deal in the first place. I mean, there are a lot of times where movies get pushed back, mainly to avoid competition, so why all the skepticism and paranoia regarding this one? Is it the Apocalypse already?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Again, that doesn't prove that an October trailer date was guaranteed, like you claimed,

No, but there were very few chances they wouldn't guarantee it at that point.

Quote:

IGN cited Coming Soon by rightfully pointing out that Coming Soon is only making a "claim."

The source also said that Oct. 17 was their "target date", thus reinforcing CS's credibility.

Quote:
It is relevant, since most people find IGN more trustworthy than Coming Soon-

Now you're pulling generalizations out of your arse. Got any stats to back that up? Even if that's the case, though, that would just mean the fact that they still used CS as a source, in spite of their "fact-checking", means that CS is a reliable source for news. \

Quote:
Fox didn't announced the October trailer date as official and set in stone in the first place.

No, but they let it be assumed that that was the date at most sites, which probably means they were not seriously going to consider moving the trailer to a different date.

Quote:
They showed head shots and poses, and it's not just toy companies that attend the expo. You're still fixated on a misleading red herring.

No, I think I got it right. They clearly were interested in mining the film for ancillary revenue, but if they had planned a different trailer, then they wouldn't release this one so close to the Max Payne film.

Quote:
And?

And you'd figure they'd go for the site which at least had the most hits, or an official one, like FUNimation's page.

Quote:
Which is why IGN corrected that info in August. And turned out to be right.

IGN never corrected a thing. They just covered their butts. And it only turned out to be right after the "unofficial" trailer got leaked. I personally don't go for that self-fulfilling prophecy stuff, though.

Quote:
Depending on the contracts, the studio has to obtain clearances from the talent, the music rights holders, and a host of other companies.

The talent has no pull in Hollywood; the music is manufactured in the studio; and other companies[I'm assuming you're implying Shueisha and Toei.] gave up their rights of dissent the minute they signed the contract.

fighter:
Quote:
I mean, there are a lot of times where movies get pushed back, mainly to avoid competition, so why all the skepticism and paranoia regarding this one?

Well, it looks like crap, in spite of all the claims that it's "finished"; so the concern is that it'll be 2009's Ultraviolet.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I don't even understand why this getting pushed back is such a big deal in the first place. I mean, there are a lot of times where movies get pushed back, mainly to avoid competition, so why all the skepticism and paranoia regarding this one? Is it the Apocalypse already?

Don't worry, it really isn't.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, the fact of the matter is you are going back and forth with testor, and to be honest, neither of you are saying anything to really make the conversation interesting at all (though there are some things I agree with testor about). There's generalizations, lots of insults, and no links. Where does that take us?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3