• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Lists X-Men, Iron Man Anime DVD Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I could understand dub-only if the English version had been released first. But seeing how it wasn't, isn't it unfair to assume that nobody saw the Japanese version?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
You're definately NOT a comic book fan, so how would you know this? What basis can you make those kinds of statements on? Why the heck would you even bother?

Man, calm dawn, it was just an observation based on people I know.

Well the people you know don't represent comic book fans everywhere, so maybe you should choose your words more carefully rather then just make broad generalizations.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
This has happened before. See Kurokami BDs. I'm guessing Japan has some sort of say on this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
This has happened before. See Kurokami BDs. I'm guessing Japan has some sort of say on this.

Only the Kurokami BDs were dub only and I'm pretty sure that was to prevent reverse importation.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's actually surprising that Sony is distributing this and not Disney.

Then again, wasn't Marvel Anime an Animax production? Hmm, all of G4's recent anime will have been from Sony if that is the case...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
If the G4 airings were edited for content, specifically if scenes were cut for time as well, then there's the possibility that the shows were edited first and then dubbed. If that's the case then it becomes much more difficult to give these shows a dual-audio release, since they weren't dubbed uncut.

Either way, I probably won't be getting any of these. The little I saw of X-Men was okay, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So these are edited as well as dub only? Interest waning.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
A dub only audio track? Sounds more like a VHS release than a DVD release. There's really no excuse(besides the japanese side saying no) that a release in 2012 can not have a dual audio track.

I saw Iron Man while it was on G4 and the dub was serviceable at best. I'm guessing these will be in the bargain bin eventually, especially if they have scenes cut out.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I finally get to say this:

No sub, no sale.

Wow.... you almost never get so say this. Anyway, people, stay the hell away from Iron Man. It's crap. X-Men was actually very decent.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Not interested in Iron Man. Wolverine was a mess.

X-Men was pretty good, Blade was surprisingly good too.

No Japanese audio doesn't bother me so I might pick up X-Men (and Blade when released).

Guess I have bad eyesight because where does it say these will be edited (TV broadcast version)?

I watched fansubs when they aired in Japan (nothing spectacular unless your a hardcore fan of a certain seiyuu) so I did notice some scenes missing for the G4 dub broadcast but I naturally assumed the DVD would be uncut & unedited. Confused
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Pretty disappointing if they really are gonna be dub only. I watched Some of Iron Man and Wolvi both subbed and dubbed. And, I preferred the sub much more. I felt the dubs were rushed and poorly done. If they would have took a little more time instead of rushing them out as fast as they could, they would have probably been better. I didn't even bother with Blade or X-Men. At that price they're still somewhat tempting, but I probably won't buy them if they don't have the original audio/subs.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DVD- and dub-only? Now there is even less of an incentive to buy the series. Razz

On the flip side, this is aimed more at non-anime fans (and the two shows are the better of the bunch, relatively speaking) however, it's somewhat amusing to know that the (genuine) HD TV broadcast will have a better picture quality than the disc releases…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll try to think positive. the DVD will contain the dub only while the later BD release will have both languages. This way i can wait for a real release.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
X-men, and Iron Man anime DVD with Dub only and based on the TV version, not the uncut one. I think I'll wait until there's proof of a uncut, bilingual version on DVD or Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Looks like someones been getting ideas from 4kids!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4