• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right Stuffed!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

... and if I hear one my person complain about how her name is "Duck" in Princess Tutu and how terrible it is because "Ahiru" is sooooo much prettier (omfg, her name is NOT. SUPPOSED. TO. BE. PRETTY.) ... *shakes fist* ... I don't know, I just don't know.

Well if they listened to the commentary on ADV's DVD they would completely understand why it was translated to duck, and that it makes perfect sense. Ahiru would not have worked. Of course they only heard clips of the dub, and probally never bought the DVD's in the first place so what do they know? Razz . I always thought it worked, and the dub was another great one from ADV.

Yes there are many extreme view points in the dub sub debate. From crazy people who hate every single dub no matter what and go on crusades on every youtube page to how the dub "hurts their ears" (despite probally never buying the DVD in the first place since they only watched the fansubs), to equally crazy people who go on crusades against companies for releaseing some title sub only, and go way overboard with it. Now it's one thing to dislike a dub, or to wish something got a dub. It's an entirely different thing to go on crusades like some do.... Rolling Eyes (not talking about anyone on ANN, or anyone in particular ). Although I do find there are many dub-haters and crusaders, much more then the other side of the equation. I think dub watchers have been rather silent about their opinions, or a less hardcore, or afraid to speak up (in fear of the almighty rath of anti-dub fandom), so this does make sense.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Well, there was a civil one back in June. It kind of died off when mdo7 came in sounding like a conspiracy theorist with his talks of "double standards", but if you want to necropost in it, I'll have your back Cool It's a pretty cool debate when everyone stays levelheaded.

Looks like that was a pretty good debate!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I feel (some)sub fans are a lot more hardcore. I buy and watch a lot of anime, A LOT, but I'm far from hardcore. That's part of why I don't rant about sub-only releases, I don't care enough. I guess you could say my wallet does all my ranting. I don't like sub releases so I don't buy them, no need to tell the forum world I won't buy them. That's more a type of thing you put in a polite, well thought out email to the company you have a beef with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Yea, I feel (some)sub fans are a lot more hardcore. I buy and watch a lot of anime, A LOT, but I'm far from hardcore. That's part of why I don't rant about sub-only releases, I don't care enough. I guess you could say my wallet does all my ranting. I don't like sub releases so I don't buy them, no need to tell the forum world I won't buy them. That's more a type of thing you put in a polite, well thought out email to the company you have a beef with.

If I like a show enough or want to see it enough, then I will buy sub-only if that's all that's available, but I prefer dubs, of course.

I'm not trying to dub/sub debate here (as I'm not saying why dubs are OMG BETTER), but I am just personally fascinated by the English dubbing process. I'm always curious to see how they will handle tricky translations for things that only make sense in Japanese ... or are a Japanese play-on-words ... or something like that. Also, as someone who used to act a lot (in high school), I can really appreciate the effort that English dub actors put in - I like to see their / the director's interpretation of the character ... and how they use inflection, etc. to deal with lip flap issues. I just think it's really neat/interesting.

I'm also kind of weird in that I'm a marathon anime watcher .. I simply cannot stop at 1-2 episodes ... I have watched 12 episodes of an anime in one night (yes, I'm insane, but it was Welcome to the NHK and that show is fabulous ... and has a fabulous dub, btw) ... and when you are marathoning, it can be really hard on the eyes to be watching subs ... especially since I don't have a huge TV Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
It's not really so much I won't buy them, I have them logged in my To-Buy spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet), but they're lower on the totem pole for purchases.

I'm not really into all of the intricacies like you are, I'm just a very casual watcher. I like sitting back and simply watching and having it in my native language makes it a lot easier. When I used to watch a lot fansubs, I'd like to see what kind of alterations were made in the dub. Now that I don't watch fansubs as much, I don't notice changes, but I do enjoy shows a lot more because I'm not "looking" for something.

Marathoning is not "weird", we've all done it. Hell, my record for a single sitting is 18 episodes of Clannad AS. I normally stop after 4-5 episodes because I just get so into it and rarely go 1-2 eps. "If I'm enjoying it, why stop?", that's what I say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Shawne doesn't strike me as the kind of businessperson who would turn up his nose at the chance to make more money as opposed to less.

This. Forever.

And that goes for everyone else running a professional, legal, anime licensing/distribution operation. The dub soapboxers don't seem to get that. Titles get released un-dubbed not because anime companies are anti-dub or want to give people a more authentic foreign film experience, but because in the current marketplace they won't move a sufficient number of units to recoup the cost of recording an entirely new audio track.

People in the anime business are in it to make money. They'd throw dubs at you all day if they could turn a profit on it. They can't. End of story.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I think you should really see Ponyo, if only for Lisa, Sosuke's awesome young mother, a working nurse and terrible driver. She was half the fun for me. Too bad that so many people told you to avoid watching Ponyo. I think it was the best family anime from this year next to Summer Wars, and I saw it this summer at a animation festival together with Pixar's UP (which was totally different yet also an awesome movie).

From the movies you're in love with and the buried treasures column you write, you have a very similar anime taste to mine. I'm pretty sure you'd like Miyazaki's Ponyo. Maybe not really *love* the movie, but you'll at least like it. I didn't like Howl's Moving castle myself and I can tell you that Ponyo is totally different from Howl's. It's back to the more "simple" Miyazaki movies like he used to do like until Porco Rosso way back in 1992.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
@jsevakis@
What the hell? Do you not read? I said I listened to it, I listen to it awhile ago >_> I seems like you only read where I said I didn't listen to it YET.

Somebody said why didn't FUNimation or Viz License the Anime I wanted and or want. Its because for FUNimation the shows I watch aren't pervy enough and Viz only License Manga that is selling really good. That is how I predicted Vampire Knight for them and I am predicting Rosario +Vampire Next.

I know Bandai is gonna get K-ON I have prepared myself for that and I know there gonna get Haruhi Endless 8. I think they would Dub that because I know the first season of Haruhi is still selling good for them........ I Like watching the same episode 8 times with different Camera Angles Anime smile Kyoto Animation can do NO wrong. But Bandai can, if they release that they need to do a full box-set from the start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Not to bring up older arguments but...

Yes there is a reason why Viz and Funimation can dub everything and the others cannot. The other companies do not have Naruto or Dragonball Z bringing in the money every month. That's the big difference. Funi and Viz can cover their losses with these titles, and many other huge sellers they have. The other companies do not have giant titles like these. It's a very simple thing to understand...

This sounds an awful lot like a "subsidize" theory, which I must say is quite ludicrous. I've talked about this elsewhere. Without writing a book I just got to say that if you think that companies stay in business by always supporting known failures and providing a permanent and predictable downward adjustment to their own bottom line, then you're crazy. If they didn't make any money on titles that are not DB, then they wouldn't even bother bring those titles over here in the first place and all they would sell would be DB. In other words, if you took DB out of the picture they would still be making money, dubs and all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the first season of Haruhi was a huge let down in terms of sales and expectations. And knowing that the second season is a huge joke, I doubt it'll get licensed, much less dubbed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Prede wrote:

Yes there is a reason why Viz and Funimation can dub everything and the others cannot. The other companies do not have Naruto or Dragonball Z bringing in the money every month. That's the big difference. Funi and Viz can cover their losses with these titles, and many other huge sellers they have. The other companies do not have giant titles like these. It's a very simple thing to understand...

This sounds an awful lot like a "subsidize" theory, which I must say is quite ludicrous. I've talked about this elsewhere. Without writing a book I just got to say that if you think that companies stay in business by always supporting known failures and providing a permanent and predictable downward adjustment to their own bottom line, then you're crazy. If they didn't make any money on titles that are not DB, then they wouldn't even bother bring those titles over here in the first place and all they would sell would be DB. In other words, if you took DB out of the picture they would still be making money, dubs and all.

I think there are some aspects of the "subsidize theory" that are correct. First, if I'm not mistaken, distribs in order to get Juicy Title "A" sometimes have to take Crappy Title "B" (as a condition set by the license holder). They have a pretty good idea that Crappy Title B isn't going to do much business, but it doesn't matter because the profits from Juicy Title "A" will more than offset losses from Crappy Title "B." That's one instance.

Then there is the simple reality that anime distribution, like any other entertainment enterprise, is a crap shoot. You can make projections, but projection is not a science. Except in the instance noted above, I'm sure no distrib puts out a title that it knows for a fact will tank, but it obviously happens. So your big guns de facto subsidize your disappointments. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a distrib who has a sure fire moneymaker is more willing to take a flyer on a title that is on the cusp (i.e. has the potential to do well, but also has potential to flop) knowing there is a buffer.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Prede wrote:

Your getting me wrong here. The difference is if "new title a" is a huge flop in DVD sales, Funimation still is making money from DBZ, and so it doesn't hurt them that much, and they hope that"new title b" "new title c" and "new title d" make money, or at the very least brake even. Plus later re-releases will help offset their loss. However for someone like Sentai or Rightstuf, who don't have huge titles to fall back on, a flop in DVD sales, with a dub could be a huge problem. Kodacha didn't sell well for Funi, and that got a dub. Oh well, they weren't put in a bad situation because of it, DBZ was still printing money, and most of their titles make a profit at least. But if a Sentai were to dub something, and it be a huge flop, well that really wouldn't be very good for the company. They depend on profit from their monthly new releases, and cutting into that would hurt. Would it bankrupt them or Rightstuf? No I don't think so. But it sure wouldn't be doing these companies any favors either. And since they don't have big titles to fall back on, it kinda puts them in the hole a bit. These companies just don't have the ability to risk dubbing certian titles. Plus many of the titles they license just won't ever be profitable with a dub. It's just a niche show, and no amount of adds will change that. So if they do dub one of these titles, it's just not ganna make a profit, or at least enough of a profit to be worth it.

Funimation can take a chance and dub Strike Witches because hey it may actually make a profit. If it doesn't then that's ok, because they are covered with all their huge titles. But if Sentai dubbed Blue Drop it might make a profit, or it might have bombed. And then what? They are not raking in money from some older title that they can dub things without thinking about it anymore. ADV was doing that, and look what happened. It's best for companies like these to only dub titles that they are sure will sell, and not take a chance on others. And for most titles it's really up in the air if they can profit witha dub or not. It's always a risk, and the difference is Funi and Viz can take that risk since they can afford it, while the others can't always take the risk. No one puts out a bomb, knowing it will bomb (well maybe Geneon did that...but that's a debate for another day...lol). It's all what happens to sell, and what doesn't. Funi has the abilty to risk dubbing some things that might not do well, or could do pretty good. If it does poorly it won't kill them. It helps that Funi is constantly dubbing something, and so there are always people working in their studios. I think that might also help keep costs down to a minimum.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Not Taking sides but FUNimation also has Fullmetal Alchemist/One Piece/Soul Eater/in addition to there Dragonball Z. And Viz also has Bleach/DeathNote/Monster, and soon the Fangirls will be all over Vampire Knight.
Sentai has Clannad Which is better than any of those shows put together I say they could have taken a Chance and succeed.
Bandai has Gundam/Geass/Haruhi < And yet they don't dub things that should out right have dubs and they delay and over price EVERYTHING. They just need to just release a Lucky Star box-set so I can stop worrying about them.
Media Blasters is the only Company that does Sub-only/Dub right except for Dojin Work >_>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Not Taking sides but FUNimation also has Fullmetal Alchemist/One Piece/Soul Eater/in addition to there Dragonball Z. And Viz also has Bleach/DeathNote/Monster, and soon the Fangirls will be all over Vampire Knight.
Sentai has Clannad Which is better than any of those shows put together I say they could have taken a Chance and succeed.
Bandai has Gundam/Geass/Haruhi < And yet they don't dub things that should out right have dubs and they delay and over price EVERYTHING. They just need to just release a Lucky Star box-set so I can stop worrying about them.
Media Blasters is the only Company that does Sub-only/Dub right except for Dojin Work >_>

Wait ... no. I cannot agree that Clannad is better than any of those other shows. That's just ridiculous. A moe harem show (as much as I love them) is NOT better overall than shows like FMA, Death Note, and Monster. Clannad has some amazing drama, but overall, it is awkward, clunky, and sometimes boring in comparison. The pacing is awful, and way too much time is wasted on side characters who don't matter in an effort to be "sad" (which sometimes works well, and other times fails miserably.)

Someone who isn't even an anime fan might like FMA or Monster ... as for Clannad, this is just NOT going to appeal to a casual fan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The Shounen Jump shows you listed will easily bring in more over a longer period of time than stuff like Gundam, Haruhi, or Clannad ever could. Also helps that they're all over over 200 episodes each, which means a constant flow of new DVDs to buy as well. And in DBZ's case, about 10 re-releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13