• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Funimation Launches Kickstarter to Dub Escaflowne TV Anime Director's Cut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Cut scenes aside, the Ocean dub is really good.

No it isn't. It was stiffly acted and bland. This is considered one of the worst dubs of all time for a reason. The dub affects the quality of the show in a perverse manner. That's how bad it is. The dub is objectively bad.

Really, one of the worst? I mean, I wouldn't even say it's one of Ocean's worst. I guess when you compare the dub to how great Escaflowne is and what it deserves, sure, it seems pretty bad, because Escaflowne is almost a masterpiece and deserves a better dub. But honestly, if I were to pick an anime that needed a new dub, Escaflowne wouldn't be very high on the list (Macross and Evangelion would be much higher).

I'm not exactly going to cry any tears over a redub if Funimation does it in-house. They've come so far that even their middling dubs are better than most of Ocean's. I'd even be interested in hearing how this turns out. But the only reason to even do it is the extra footage. The Escaflowne isn't so bad a dub that it needs replacing for quality.

I wish AnimEigo had redubbed Bubblegum Crisis when they put it on Blu-Ray. Now that was something that needed redubbing desperately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Cut scenes aside, the Ocean dub is really good.

No it isn't. It was stiffly acted and bland. This is considered one of the worst dubs of all time for a reason. The dub affects the quality of the show in a perverse manner. That's how bad it is. The dub is objectively bad.

That's WAAAAY too over-the-top a description for the dub. I can name far, far worse dubs from this era than Escaflowne. Bubblegum Crisis OVA, for instance. A good portion of the junk coming from Manga UK. Even the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. Compared to those, Escaflowne's dub is not THAT bad, it's just an average dub.

It's nowhere near "one of the worst dubs of all time", although it's not a great dub either. It has some good performances, but some dodgy ones as well.

Once again, the whole thing is very subjective, and just as it's your opinion that it's a bad dub, it's others' opinions if they think otherwise. I'm somewhere in the middle with this dub. I DO think the movie dub is genuinely better.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Oh my God, YES!!! I SO want to donate to the cause, and considering how popular the show is in the Anglosphere, I don't think they'll have much trouble raking in the cash.

not quite. for one thing Escaflowne isnt very popular or well known within the US otaku community cause the newer generation dont know what it is. most of the them that like the likes of naruto , bleach , one piece and one punch man pretty much dont know some of the old anime series from the 90's (excluding DBZ , SM & Pokemon) like escaflowne since those fans werent born in those timeline so the only people that will be really interested is otakus like myself who were born in the 80's and 90's. also while the bandai dub definitely had its faults, it was pretty decent enough.

this series is no vampire hunter d which does have a larger fanbase which is why Sentai Filmworks give the movie a new english dub. dont get me wrong i really do hope it does happen, but would any of the newer funi fans take an interest in it is beyond me. if this was a new dub version of Yu Yu Hakusho , Card Captor Sakura or even Rave Master, then yes. but i really dont see those fanbase taking an interest in this series let alone anyone taking the time to get the funding for a series that no one would even notice outside of the hardcore fanbase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Oh my God, YES!!! I SO want to donate to the cause, and considering how popular the show is in the Anglosphere, I don't think they'll have much trouble raking in the cash.

not quite. for one thing Escaflowne isnt very popular or well known within the US otaku community cause the newer generation dont know what it is. most of the them that like the likes of naruto , bleach , one piece and one punch man pretty much dont know some of the old anime series from the 90's (excluding DBZ , SM & Pokemon) like escaflowne since those fans werent born in those timeline so the only people that will be really interested is otakus like myself who were born in the 80's and 90's. also while the bandai dub definitely had its faults, it was pretty decent enough.

this series is no vampire hunter d which does have a larger fanbase which is why Sentai Filmworks give the movie a new english dub. dont get me wrong i really do hope it does happen, but would any of the newer funi fans take an interest in it is beyond me. if this was a new dub version of Yu Yu Hakusho , Card Captor Sakura or even Rave Master, then yes. but i really dont see those fanbase taking an interest in this series let alone anyone taking the time to get the funding for a series that no one would even notice outside of the hardcore fanbase.

Yeah. It's really hard to tell with an anime this old. It used to be popular, but it's now not quite as well known.

I'm on the fence personally speaking. While I like escaflowne, and it has the type of setting where a good dub will fit it more than the original Japanese language, I'm still mostly a subs only guy and don't really plan to watch it dubbed either way. I'd be glad if one exists in case I decide to watch it with someone who perfers dubs, but that's pretty unlikely. Funimation also occasionally rubs me the wrong way, but I can let bygones be bygones for a good enough anime, and I doubt a dub for this show will take too many liberties.

Maybe if I can get a digital download for decent price.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish AnimEigo had redubbed Bubblegum Crisis when they put it on Blu-Ray. Now that was something that needed redubbing desperately.

For real. With the running crowdfunding campaigns for dubs for Skip Beat and Escaflowne, I kinda wish AnimEigo would've waited a bit for their BGC Kickstarter. I'm usually pretty forgiving of dubs, but other than the odd bit character and (surprisingly) the songs, that one is pretty painful to watch.

But THAT's more what I think is the "worst dub of all time" along with the old Akira dub and obvious choices like 4Kids' One Piece. Escaflowne's Ocean dub is mediocre at worst. It's about on the same quality level as, say, Inuyasha or the original Gundam.
NitroNeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
This is saddening.

In an age where Canadian dubs are far and few between, you've got Funimation looking to redub one of their most cherished works. And before anyone tries to tell me they might still use Ocean for it, c'mon now... get real. The reason 'Lauren' danced around the question regarding the Ocean cast is to first ensure they rake in all the nostalgia driven kickstarter pledges BEFORE unveiling an all new (cheaper) Texas cast. Their strategy here is pretty obvious and a little deceptive if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm sure the success of this kickstarter venture won't set an ugly precedent for the US anime industry...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
Considering that Funi licenses so many projects and the fact they are tackling several broadcast dubs, this is a risky investment. That is, will it be delayed like several of their other dub titles that should have been released last year or will it be on time?
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I never got around to this show...and knowing it was Maaya Sakamoto's debut always made me want to hear it...so

Quote:

"if we do not hit the goal of $150k dollars on this Kickstarter to be able to actually create this new dub, then we're just going to be releasing the new HD material, so the new stuff based on the Japanese Bluray, subtitled only. "
- So now I have no motivation to give money to this lol

And this

Quote:

"Jennifer: Unfortunately a lot of the cost of things like dubbing related or putting things out on Bluray or things like that, a lot of those are locked down via contract, so there's really no way for us to reveal this. "

I understanding the reasoning and legal issues with that, but IMO with Kickstarter, it should be required to reveal that information. Just my opinion of course. I just feel that we the donators should be allowed to see where their money is going, 100%. Given legal issues, I think laws should be changed to adapt to crowd-funding. Transparency in crowd-funding should be a requirement.

All that said, I'll admit I'm gonna blue about the whole Kickstarter thing. With the way things are going for Under The Dog, the massive delay on the physical Clannad package (October 2015 was original date....delay announcement was extremely late...and then they said "Early 2016" and the year is almost a fourth over, which is hardly "early" to me) and other projects failing after greatly surpassing goals...I guess just a pile of bad experiences lol.

These aren't bad experiences, you just need to wake up and realize what reality is ACTUALLY like. And that roadblocks pop up along the way in any production cycle. They just usually aren't published openly.
So you almost contradict yourself about them not being completely transparent. But then moan about other projects being just that. Honest about the reality of the situation.

Estimates are only estimates. Things are done, when they ARE DONE.

People the sooner you wake up and realize that there are no guarantees for any thing and that release dates for something done on KS are just estimates not accounting for at all things that come up along the way.

You need to stop letting this color your experiences as "bad".
Because people like you are essentially the investor, and this makes you no better than the meddling executives or shareholders these people are running away from traditionally.

That said, Funimation is pretty much being dicks about this. And look they got it all in just about 1 day. Rolling Eyes They are using KS for the wrong reasons and using it purely for pre-order and other write-offable big rewards for the bumbling otaku. And most of all, for a hefty profit where they will obviously use only their own in house production and cast. While not being transparent at all, can't do it because of contracts? Bullshit, unless you outright tell us
"Because contractual reasons with the licensor..." you just irritate the fudge out of me. AnimeEigo sure as hell hasn't had any of this kind of PR crap in the way. But maybe that's just because of other reasons.

And despite all this, i'll probably still buy in to this... no wait. I won't. I think i'll give my money to people who actually need it. Like for Skip Beat!

Quote:
behind-the-scenes footage and interviews of the English dub cast for US$200,000
I am a big dub fan but this actually pisses me off. What and where in any world is interviews with cast members of an international dub of any product worth a damn? They are contract for hire people who have nothing to do with the show itself and are sadly poorly paid on top of that. For another 50,000$ i'd expect interviews with the actual people who made the show.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This was the very first anime I've seen. I'm getting old heh. I be honest I'm ambivalent towards this but I do want a hd blueray ver of Esca.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has some pretty lousy stretch goals for this kickstarter. For an extra $50K we get behind the scenes interviews and footage. It costs $50K to produce content like that, seriously, I have a hard time believing that. How about a stretch goal to sync the old dub to the the HD video with the director's cut scenes removed. The UK is doing that for their release, surely Funimation could do the same thing.

I already have the Bandai DVD collection of this and I'm not interested in a new English dub so I won't be supporting this. I liked this show but not enough to rebuy it so I'm satisfied with my current DVD set.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I never watch dubs, but I'll support it if it gets me a physical copy of Escaflowne with English subtitles on Blu ray. Which this does, so I'm sold.

It's very nearly funded already, it makes me so happy to see Escaflowne still has that kind of draw to get funded in about three days even after twenty years. =)

And yay for a new release? Escaflowne is hard to find right now, so I've heard.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I never watch dubs, but I'll support it if it gets me a physical copy of Escaflowne with English subtitles on Blu ray. Which this does, so I'm sold.

Except for the fact that if this fails, the only difference is that there won't be a dub. They're releasing the subtitled BD regardless.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people will be upset if they pledged a large amount and the dub isn't to their liking. It will sour their attitude to future dub kickstarters.

I agree that the stretch goals aren't that exciting. One stretch goal could be that they'll definitely use Ocean studios or that they'll dub the songs as well.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
meruru wrote:

Except for the fact that if this fails, the only difference is that there won't be a dub. They're releasing the subtitled BD regardless.

It's not going to fail due to lack of funds, and Funimation surely isn't going to just outright fail. Late maybe, but I can wait. And I'm happy to give Escaflowne more profits, since it's my all time favorite anime for almost twenty years now. =)
cheapassgamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for funding it guys, so I didn't have to. Now I can have my cake and eat it too. Love this show!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12