• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No. 6 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'll agree with that also, although... I think a lot of the people living outside the wall would understand that the people inside didn't know what was going on. How could they? Sure, there are always radicals and such, but... for the most part, I think the two sides would be pretty understanding. Coming up with a system of government and a way to keep order would be the largest foreseeable obstacle, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
We would probably see a restoration of the ordinary sort of openly hierarchical society that has marked all advanced countries, especially ones with a large poor laboring section.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
If history is any guide, an uneducated and oppressed population is rarely very understanding of the innocent bystanders. Post revolution societies are typically brutal unless there is some stabilizing force to reign them in. Ironically, when an underclass suddenly gains the upper hand, they tend to be even more atrocious than the previous regime for a while. Looks like the boys would have their work cut out for them. Wonder if we'll ever get another novel to follow up on how they navigate the new era. I'm not going to hold my breath for that though.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Knowing how poorly the series ended up portraying the society, I would not be surprised to see some pink-happy-lovely outcome when everyone loves each other and Sion becomes a fair king beloved by all, rather than what Ishmoo is talking about, which I think would be a lot more realistic of a possibility.

Definitely the outcasts would like to take their revenge. A lot of them must have hated no.6 with all they had, and besides, if you look at many revolutions in the world, the power always landed in different hands, but not much changed for ordinary people in terms of oppression, poverty, etc. But hey, in this case we are talking about a world where a bee fairy can fix it all, so yeah, my expectations as for possible continuation are not high.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmph. I keep forgetting about the Bee Fairy. I think it's a mental block.
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
By the way, wasn't it strange how Safu didn't say anything about Sion's "new look"?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
By the way, wasn't it strange how Safu didn't say anything about Sion's "new look"?

Maybe, since she's like spoiler[a nature goddess now], she already know about it? LOLZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
It might sound strange, but am I the only one who thought of Sion and Rat as an Israeli/Jew (Sion) and a Palestinian (Rat)?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that Israel is as cruel as No. 6, or that the Palestinians are as poor or innocents as those in the areas outside of No. 6, but there's something to it, right?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Ugh, Bones is getting worse and worse. Hard to think they had the guts to advertise this as sci-fi.

Now then Bones, get back to DTB ASAP. BL isn't your thing.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Ugh, Bones is getting worse and worse. Hard to think they had the guts to advertise this as sci-fi.

Now then Bones, get back to DTB ASAP. BL isn't your thing.

That's just an arbitrary personal preference. No. 6 most certainly qualifies as sci-fi. It has all the elements of a classic dystopian sci-fi story, which has nothing to do with the sexual orientation (or lack thereof) of the characters. Are Dr. Who and Torchwood not to be considered sci-fi shows just because the character Jack Harkness (who appears in both) happens to be bi-sexual? Oh, and in case you didn't know, Wesley Crusher is definitely gay, no matter what the company line is.

If you don't care one way or the other about BL specifically, No. 6 started out as a fine Bones production. I didn't find any deficiencies in the animation, direction, acting or sound. The story was based on a well received novel. The problem with this show wasn't the BL, it was the shortened time frame that infringed upon the ability to properly develop the plot, and that was a pre-established limitation from the outset due to it being a Noitamina title. Otherwise, it was beautifully produced, which is what we've come to expect from Bones.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh I won't criticize the technicalities, but overall the show lacked depth in almost everything. Heck, not even the relationship between the 2 protagonists was that deep. You're right though, it's probably the duration, although I wouldn't want to watch more of this.

Overall Bones is better with longer stuff since they take a while to build the characters' depth.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Oh I won't criticize the technicalities, but overall the show lacked depth in almost everything. Heck, not even the relationship between the 2 protagonists was that deep. You're right though, it's probably the duration, although I wouldn't want to watch more of this.

Overall Bones is better with longer stuff since they take a while to build the characters' depth.

I would definitely agree about longer length being better. I guess it boils down to a difference in expectation. I went into this series knowing full well that it would have to be be cut short and so I wasn't surprised by the lack of depth. Because of that I was less disappointed than a lot of people. It also helped to have read the novel too, so it's like this was more of a companion piece to the overall work.
dan7el

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
This show had a tremendous amount of potential, and that's why I watched all the episodes. I found it extremely disappointing in the end, though. The explanation that there just weren't enough episodes to to the overall story justice makes a lot of sense.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It wrapped up too fast, and didn't flesh out it's premise as well as it could have. It still wound up being better than Fractale. And it's characters were probably better as well, both more likable and more real.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
So, I kinda don't watch that much anime anymore (manga & dramas are more my thing it seems) but I put No.6 on my "To Watch" list and last night I tossed ep.01 in my viewing queue on a whim. Afterwards I found myself compelled to watched up through ep.05 in one sitting. For me, nowadays, that sort of interest in an anime is exceptionally rare. Knowing that I might want to watch this series sometime soon, I've intentionally avoided the spoilers in this thread but I just wanted to drop in and say that I for one have found the series pretty damn interesting, at least halfway through. I'm very much looking forward to digesting the second half, similarly, in a single evening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12