• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
When Akito asked Haru how he found out, he just said that the heavens told him[/spoiler] Smile

Yes, that was a great moment. You could see how badly spoiler[Hiro was struggling with what he knew and it was taking a toll on him to keep it all inside. Then to be finally able to confide in Haru, and Haru would never betray his trust. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Yes, that was a great moment. You could see how badly spoiler[Hiro was struggling with what he knew and it was taking a toll on him to keep it all inside. Then to be finally able to confide in Haru, and Haru would never betray his trust. ]

So at spoiler[the end of the story, we could see Haru and Yuki and Rin talking, with Haru and Yuki pointing out that Rin looked jealous because of something. What was funny was that they were talking in unison about it] Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
It didn't matter if spoiler[he didn't hit her, she had lost of her Zodiac. He had been keeping a lot of what she did to him inside, but when it came to Rin he didn't take jack squat. And it was brave of Hiro to tell him too, since he was witness to the whole account. When Akito asked Haru how he found out, he just said that the heavens told him] Smile
I wonder just how close spoiler[Haru came to actually breaking his curse right then. If the curse is the bond, he damn near severed it with Akito. Still, he almost went back when Akito was in pain and if Kureno hadn't stopped him and told him to go to Rin, he might have left her. Haru thinks as much.]

spoiler[Or did Haru break the curse but I don't know it because I'm stuck reading the English volumes as they come out!] One more thing to wonder about.

One of my favorite scenes after all of that is Haru teasing Rin about the "warmth of friendship" and Rin all flustered, yet clearly quite happy to have Tohru as a friend. They really have a lot in common in various ways. (Rin and Tohru I mean.)

Wonders if he's the only one who thinks Rin looks cuter with short hair. (Long hair makes her look like Ren! Shocked )
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Wonders if he's the only one who thinks Rin looks cuter with short hair. (Long hair makes her look like Ren! Shocked )

I also like her hair short. At first I felt really sad, because all of her spoiler[beautiful long her was creully cut off.] But then I started to think she actually looks better, and the outward transformation reflects the change that is going on internally and in her life and personal relationships. Maybe I'm just reading to much into it. Razz
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
spoiler[Or did Haru break the curse but I don't know it because I'm stuck reading the English volumes as they come out!] One more thing to wonder about.

spoiler[No, he didn't break his curse just then and there, because he was tempted to go back when Akito called him. If the curse had been broken, he'd have been like any other person and able to just walk away. Instead, God is calling him and in pain, and he need a nudge from Kureno, whose curse is broken, to push him away.] SPOILER FOR FUTURE VOLUMES spoiler[A few characters are shown being freed from the curse, and it is a major, life-changing event for them. It's unmistakeable.]

Haru and Rin share a kiss, and they are one of the few couples spoiler[that are shown to have been intimate. Like fighterholic said before, I think Akito and Kureno are another couple shown to have been intimate. I've always wondered why Takaya-sensei felt it important to show Haru and Rin's relationship was also physical? I think on one hand it was to show the depth of their feelings for each other. And on another hand, it makes a nice contrast to innocent Tohru, who wonders what Haru did in the bathroom to prove his hair is its natural color.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Haru spoiler[was thinking that he might leave Rin to end her pain and suffering for all that it might have been for, but Kureno told him to go. Haru's curse was not broken until later.]
Later Zodiac Spoilers, read at your own risk: spoiler[Kureno is the first to be released. The next one is Momiji. After that is Hiro, and the rest of them all get released at the same time, which is about the time when Tohru gets released from the hospital.]
As for Rin's hair, it actually looks better shorter, though the circumstances surrounding her hair being cut shorter aren't very good ones, since spoiler[a lot of it was cut by Akito in her rage, and they just trimmed the rest of it. ]She still looks good like that though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
Mister Holic. Welcome back. We missed you. and you should update the second post.

I have token notice of this and the post has been updated to an extent. Feel free to check it out please.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=297257#297257
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
SPOILER FOR FUTURE VOLUMES spoiler[A few characters are shown being freed from the curse, and it is a major, life-changing event for them. It's unmistakeable.]
I don't want any details, but how far in the future for we who are bound by the schedule Tokyopop sets?

Also, it's always good to have fighterholic around. He keeps us in line. Wink
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
It has taken every ounce of my self control to not read those spoilers for future volumes. And so far, my self control is winning! Yay. Heh. Razz I'm so curious though....but I must resist.

And thanks to fighterholic for all the work done on updating the page index thing. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Volume 19 is coming out March 11.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
It has taken every ounce of my self control to not read those spoilers for future volumes. And so far, my self control is winning! Yay. Heh. Razz I'm so curious though....but I must resist.

If I had any self-control...I wouldn't be 15 pounds overweight!
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
murph76 wrote:
SPOILER FOR FUTURE VOLUMES spoiler[A few characters are shown being freed from the curse, and it is a major, life-changing event for them. It's unmistakeable.]
I don't want any details, but how far in the future for we who are bound by the schedule Tokyopop sets?

Vol. 20. Hopefully will be out by the summer.

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
and then it's only NINE months untill the last is released. it sucks.

Haru and Rin were the first true couple to be shown in the series. spoiler[i think one of the most powerful scenes is when Rin had a bad dream, and she said it was okay because Haru was with her. it's sad to, because Haru was thinking aboout all the pain he brought to her after he remembered this.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Volume 19 is coming out March 11.

I can't wait! I'm so excited! Does anyone know if they are still on the once every four months schedule? Or if it is now one volume every three months?

LydiaDianne wrote:
If I had any self-control...I wouldn't be 15 pounds overweight!

Well, I have self control when it comes to spoilers, unfortunately I have none as well when it comes to food. Especially, ice cream and cakes. Yum. Razz
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
and then it's only NINE months untill the last is released. it sucks.

Haru and Rin were the first true couple to be shown in the series. spoiler[i think one of the most powerful scenes is when Rin had a bad dream, and she said it was okay because Haru was with her. it's sad to, because Haru was thinking aboout all the pain he brought to her after he remembered this.]

That I would think was spoiler[a vision of what was to come to Rin if they hadn't broke up. Which still pretty much happened. Haru thought he was protecting her all this time, but there was a dark cloud blinding his sight.]

Ningensei wrote:
I can't wait! I'm so excited! Does anyone know if they are still on the once every four months schedule? Or if it is now one volume every three months?

The last I knew it was every three months. So if volume 19 is coming out in March, volume 20 comes out in June, volume 21 in September, volume 22 in December, and volume 23 comes out March of next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 105 of 170