• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Phantom Episode 10 Leaked 1 Day Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Sorry that I keep harping about this so I'll stop now. But it just bugs me that people would make a big stink about this really non-existent hack and act like the sky is falling. Well the sky probably would be falling for Funi if Aniplex, Toei and Genco found out about the real situation. So I guess I understand Funi's insistence on the "hack" scenario to cover their asses, but that's also partly the reason why I've lost some respect for them over this.

While I just don't know enough about the situation to say if this is true or not, the information that I do have makes me think like configspace does. Blameshifting to the anonymous internet people without thorough investigation and data to back this up is a shifty thing to do at best, because it's just not a professional thing to do.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Ren Hanxue wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
What's there is nice but it's Western influence. The lack of a BD release is also disheartening. It underscores that this release is really relying on Western support. Sabotaging the stream only hurts the Western audiences in the end.

what

no really, what

you're saying that Phantom isn't getting good ratings because it's influenced by western stuff?

here let me point a few things out to you
1) the Phantom OVA from a few years back was shit
2) the source material (a pretty dated nitroplus game) is shit
3) bee train is shit
4) that noir director guy who is in charge of this is shit and makes shit that makes you fall asleep (actually pretty much all of bee train's shows makes you fall asleep but w/e)

HMM, DO YOU PERHAPS SEE SOMETHING THESE FOUR HAVE IN COMMON?

Yeah, you don't like the title and therefore it is sh*t.

It doesn't mean that it is actually crap. Actually the animation and music is very good. (I've even gotten use to Ali Project's ED now.) The story is also very riveting so far.

It's just not your cup of tea.

britannicamoore wrote:
Wait i'm confused. I may have just missed reading between the lines but hikaru004 did you say that it doesn't deserve to be at the bottom of the list because its in HD? Or the cover art?

I haven't watched the show itself so I can't comment on it personally but could it be down that far because its bad?

Do you have the Japanese ratings for the week after May 18-24?

No I said that it doesn't deserve to be in the bottom of the list because its high quality. It's cover art has Western influences as does its subject matter and 1st arc location (Los Angeles). Western influences contribute to low ratings and prob low sales. It also could be a reason why there is no BD solicitation yet if at all. Loads of other titles have their R2 BD and DVD solicitations up but not this one.

No newer ratings are posted yet in the forum that posts them.

Edit: May 25-31 ratings

Quote:

*9.3%(*9.8%) 05/31 *9:30-10:00 CX* One Piece
*9.3%(*9.2%) 05/31 *9:00-*9:30 CX* Dragon Ball Kai
*6.7%(*7.2%) 05/30 18:00-18:30 NTV Detective Conan
*5.8%(*4.0%) 05/31 17:00-17:30 TBS FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST
<snip>
*4.7%(*4.6%) 05/28 19:30-19:57 TX* NARUTO Shippuuden
*4.4%(*3.2%) 05/30 10:00-10:30 TX* Keroro Gunsou
<snip>
*3.9%(*5.0%) 05/28 24:45-25:15 CX* Higashi no Eden
<snip>
*3.5%(*2.6%) 05/30 10:30-11:00 TX* Kateikyoushi Hitman REBORN!
<snip>
*2.7%(*2.6%) 05/30 23:20-23:45 TX* Shin mazinger Z-Hen on television
*2.6%(*2.3%) 05/30 *9:00-*9:30 TX* Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou
*2.4%(*1.4%) 05/28 25:29-25:59 TBS PandoraHearts
*2.3%(*3.5%) 05/31 *7:00-*7:30 EX* Battle Spirits
*2.1%(*1.7%) 05/28 17:30-18:00 TX* NARUTO ~Shounen Hen~
*2.2%(*1.6%) 05/28 25:59-26:29 TBS K-On
<snip>
*1.7%(*0.8%) 05/28 26:40-27:10 EX* Kurokami The Animation
*1.6%(*2.3%) 05/31 *9:30-10:00 TX* Jewel Pets
*1.5%(*3.0%) 05/31 10:00-10:30 TX* Cross Game
*1.4%(*0.7%) 05/31 26:45-27:15 TX* Arad Senki
*1.1%(*1.7%) 05/31 10:30-11:00 TX* Live-on cardliver
*1.0%(*1.6%) 05/31 26:00-26:30 TX* Saki
*0.9%(*1.4%) 05/31 25:30-26:00 TX* Natsu no Arashi!
*0.5%(*0.3%) 05/28 26:15-26:45 TX* Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

*bolded by me*

Still at the bottom...
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
How do those ratings compare to past weeks?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

The show always did badly, because well..it's not very good.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I do hope FUNi only secured streaming rights, because getting DVD licenses before you know how the show ends is a pretty stupid idea.

Yet fans have been pushing for near simultaneous DVD release (way before streaming was even an option) for years, driving negotiations closer and closer to completion dates. Rolling Eyes

Personally I think the show looks pretty good and I plan on checking it out. Ratings don't always mean a whole lot to me, though it is worrisome. There are plenty of examples of American shows that have low viewership ratings but in actuality are quite good so it's one of those things you have to try for yourself. Or it could just have a horrible time slot, like Moribito originally did on aDult Swim, 5 AM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
What? F---. AGAIN?! Dammit, Funimation needs to get on the damn ball. This isn't good for anyone. I really don't want to see them lose rights to air this stuff online because it's really critical to jump on this cutting edge technology. I haven't been watching many other anime shows, but FMA was the one I was checking out and was doing so on their site, or rather their copies on Hulu. The Japanese companies have tended to be wary of online distribution and poor security like this doesn't help anyone.

Oh and whatever 'fan' did this is a total asshole with no respect for the US company trying to deliver the show to us nor the Japanese company and creators. They're just a bunch of self righteous pricks out for personal glory. I hope they die in a fire. Okay okay, I hope they just get caught. Then arrested and tossed in some kinda jail where they will have their 'server violated'. Twisted Evil Bwa ha ha ha.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Now remember, available info in this ratings thread on another forum is at the mercy of those who put there.

Quote:

April 20-26
*1.0%(*1.0%) 04/23 25:30-26:00 TX* Phantom~Requiem for the Phantom~

May 18-24
*0.3%(*0.8%) 05/21 26:15-26:45 TX* Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

May 25-31
*0.5%(*0.3%) 05/28 26:15-26:45 TX* Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

It does look like it's airing later now also. Can someone confirm this?
Ichigo069

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
souleater wrote:
bayoab wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Also, nothing can be acomplished until they can actually get at these guys.

People can start getting at them manually. Start sending abuse reports to google ads, paypal, and anything else on their website they try and use to make money for illegal distribution.

Or you could use the power of google to find out that somebody has already exposed at least two members of HorribleSubs: http://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?p=6012#post6043

Well what do ya know? One of them goes to school at Texas Tech University if the email address is correct. That's only 280 miles to travel with the police, FUNi. Laughing

Wow, that's an almost 4 month old post, I'm guessing that, if they could, they would've already tracked this guy down and shut down his operation. Also, isn't Waryas the guy from 4chan who posts all those KoG things? Good luck in catching /him/.

iow, you aren't gonna catch these guys. They might slip up sometime, but not now when they're actively covering their arses. I would be surprised if that guy really /does/ go to Texas Tech. It's probably not even his real name.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Ren Hanxue wrote:

unhappy boo-boo time

Laughing

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with you disliking the show, but I got a giggle from that outburst.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the purpose of sabotaging a company who is giving you like same day releases for free.

Anime fandom is in a wild place right now. Watching a 15 second commercial is considered to be way to expensive of a price to get a show. Fans going out of their way to make same day anime releases a total failure. I don't get it.

The One Piece one is the most tragic. That's like a Naruto level show that was going to be given away for free and anime "fans" sabotaged it. Now Funi has gone totally silent about the series. Mission accomplished I guess.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:

The show always did badly, because well..it's not very good.

i don't know about the tv ratings, but i'm curious why you don't think it's very good. i'm my personal opinion, it's one of the best shows of season.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Naw, Tofu's idea of internet security is running ftp servers on port 31421 instead of 21, and making IRC topics +x. Smile
Are you suggesting he's all shirt, and no trousers? Laughing It is said that the best games keeper is a former poacher. Wink
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Naw, Tofu's idea of internet security is running ftp servers on port 31421 instead of 21, and making IRC topics +x. Smile
Are you suggesting he's all shirt, and no trousers? Laughing It is said that the best games keeper is a former poacher. Wink

I see it's pick on Tofu night at the Mohawk52 family's house again!

Just kidding, I love you, man Anime smile
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Why is it that we can't have a conversion about this? The reason i come ANN is because there are intelligent people here to discuss anime. Why is it that these threads brings all kinds of problems and the discussion goes completely way off topic and a bunch of bitching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I see it's pick on Tofu night at the Mohawk52 family's house again!

Just kidding, I love you, man Anime smile
Now is that any way to treat a man whats trying to point you toward legit work? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15