• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right Stuffed!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Next DBZ Release will be Blu-Ray. That is the only way they can keep the Goku Coming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Not Taking sides but FUNimation also has Fullmetal Alchemist/One Piece/Soul Eater/in addition to there Dragonball Z. And Viz also has Bleach/DeathNote/Monster, and soon the Fangirls will be all over Vampire Knight.
Sentai has Clannad Which is better than any of those shows put together I say they could have taken a Chance and succeed.
Bandai has Gundam/Geass/Haruhi < And yet they don't dub things that should out right have dubs and they delay and over price EVERYTHING. They just need to just release a Lucky Star box-set so I can stop worrying about them.
Media Blasters is the only Company that does Sub-only/Dub right except for Dojin Work >_>

Wait ... no. I cannot agree that Clannad is better than any of those other shows. That's just ridiculous. A moe harem show (as much as I love them) is NOT better overall than shows like FMA, Death Note, and Monster. Clannad has some amazing drama, but overall, it is awkward, clunky, and sometimes boring in comparison. The pacing is awful, and way too much time is wasted on side characters who don't matter in an effort to be "sad" (which sometimes works well, and other times fails miserably.)

Someone who isn't even an anime fan might like FMA or Monster ... as for Clannad, this is just NOT going to appeal to a casual fan.

Oh, jenthehen...you just don't get it, do you? See, Mario1234567 (or as I like to call him - "Super Genius") understands that dubbing decisions don't have anything to do with empirical evidence - heck, that's just silly. Why bother wasting your time in making boring ole sales projections and crunching numbers with respect to dubbing expenses? That's for sissies. No, the best way to make business decisions is just to find a show you rilly, rilly, rilly like and then - because you like it - assume that it will sell like gangbusters in the NA marketplace.

Thanks, Mario1234567! Your brand of searing intelligence is a real breath of fresh air around here, let me tell ya!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Not Taking sides but FUNimation also has Fullmetal Alchemist/One Piece/Soul Eater/in addition to there Dragonball Z. And Viz also has Bleach/DeathNote/Monster, and soon the Fangirls will be all over Vampire Knight.
Sentai has Clannad Which is better than any of those shows put together I say they could have taken a Chance and succeed.
Bandai has Gundam/Geass/Haruhi < And yet they don't dub things that should out right have dubs and they delay and over price EVERYTHING. They just need to just release a Lucky Star box-set so I can stop worrying about them.
Media Blasters is the only Company that does Sub-only/Dub right except for Dojin Work >_>

Wait ... no. I cannot agree that Clannad is better than any of those other shows. That's just ridiculous. A moe harem show (as much as I love them) is NOT better overall than shows like FMA, Death Note, and Monster. Clannad has some amazing drama, but overall, it is awkward, clunky, and sometimes boring in comparison. The pacing is awful, and way too much time is wasted on side characters who don't matter in an effort to be "sad" (which sometimes works well, and other times fails miserably.)

Someone who isn't even an anime fan might like FMA or Monster ... as for Clannad, this is just NOT going to appeal to a casual fan.

Oh, jenthehen...you just don't get it, do you? See, Mario1234567 (or as I like to call him - "Super Genius") understands that dubbing decisions don't have anything to do with empirical evidence - heck, that's just silly. Why bother wasting your time in making boring ole sales projections and crunching numbers with respect to dubbing expenses? That's for sissies. No, the best way to make business decisions is just to find a show you rilly, rilly, rilly like and then - because you like it - assume that it will sell like gangbusters in the NA marketplace.

Thanks, Mario1234567! Your brand of searing intelligence is a real breath of fresh air around here, let me tell ya!

I just can't believe some of the ridiculous crap he spouts! I mean, that's fine, Mario, if you love Clannad. It's a good show, and I like it as well (although I love Kanon and Air much more!) It can be your favorite show, and you could write a thesis on why you love it, but it is just NOT POPULAR WITH MAINSTREAM AMERICA. Even thought it has a strong internet following, it's mostly fansub watchers who won't shell out the money for it. Yes, that sucks. It sucks that there is no dub. But it's perfectly understandable WHY the industry is doing what it's doing.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Yes Funimation has a ton of amazing sellers besides DBZ. Afro Samurai, Fullmetal Alchemist, Devil May Cry, Ouran, Shin Chan, Trinity Blood, and Witchblade which are all huge sellers and shouldn't be ignored. Although I'm not so sure One Peice is a big seller anymore, and Soul Eater has not even been released yet. It might be big, but we've yet to see that in DVD sales at least.

Vis also has many HUUUUGE titles besides Naruto. Bleach is a giant seller, Death Note brings in the cash, and no doubt their manga line is making them money. Monster...well I'm not sure how much this will sell, it remians to be seen. As for Vamprie Knight well not released yet, but it will probally do very well.

However to compare Clannad will never, sell FMA numbers. It's just not ganna happen. You may think the show is better then FMA (and I'd agree), but the fact remains it just won't sell that much. Your opinion means NOTHING in regards to how well a show will sell. The show did do well though, even Sentai is thinking about dubbing it. But it's not ganna be on the top ten list of most bought series this year. it's just not that big. It doesn't appeal to the more casual people. Hell there's a huge group of hardcore people who hate it with a passion, so I doubt they'd buy it to. So...

But nothing Sentai has will sell as much as FMA. That's my point. And FMA not even the only big seller Funi has. So you see the problem here don't you? Bandai doesn't have anything nearly as big as Naruto or DBZ or something like that, so you see what I'm getting at here? Although Geass is huge of course, it's just not at that level. But they seem to be having problems, despite releaseing big shows like that. Gundam...well I don't think this was ever as a big a seller as they wanted.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with jenthehen, cost-wise the only anime worth dubbing are those that appeal to more casual, mainstream fans. I'm a dub fan myself but so far I'm fortunate that most of what I like gets dubbed. Moe shows are just too niche and it's a miracle that any get dubbed at all. The one anime I wish would get a dub would be Emma. Sadly, since it's shojo (and put out by a sub-only company), there's not much of a chance though I think it could do well. If there's one "niche" genre I wish would be dubbed it would be shojo. Unfortunately, shonen stuff is usually sure to sell so it always gets dubbed. Nothing against it, but I wish shojo got some equal love.

Yes, I know Vampire Knight is getting a dub but that's probably because vampires are popular now otherwise it might suffer the same fate as Emma.

Last edited by rinmackie on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I have to agree with jenthehen, cost-wise the only anime worth dubbing are those that appeal to more casual, mainstream fans. I'm a dub fan myself but so far I'm fortunate that most of what I like gets dubbed. Moe shows are just too niche and it's a miracle that any get dubbed at all. The one anime I wish would get a dub would be Emma. Sadly, since it's shojo (and put out by a sub-only company), there's not much of a chance though I think it could do well. If there's one "niche" genre I wish would be dubbed it would be shojo. Unfortunately, shonen stuff is usually sure to sell so it always gets dubbed. Nothing against it, but I wish shojo got some equal love.

Speaking of dubbing shojo - NANA has a GREAT dub ... I was actually a bit apprehensive about it, but it's perfect! Kudos to Viz on that one! <3
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

... and if I hear one my person complain about how her name is "Duck" in Princess Tutu and how terrible it is because "Ahiru" is sooooo much prettier (omfg, her name is NOT. SUPPOSED. TO. BE. PRETTY.) ... *shakes fist* ... I don't know, I just don't know.

I...actually complained about that. But then again, I was watching the show subbed, and I think when you're watching something subbed, you want it to be closer to the original language than if you're watching it dubbed. And my complaints weren't so much about Duck not being as 'pretty' but from the simple fact that her name was 'Ahiru' and not 'Duck' They could have included a simple note explaining the name, and let it be.
I could understand though having her name be Duck in the dub version, as then it makes a bit more sense than having changed her name in the sub.
Ah well, I bought the show anyway, and I guess if it really bugs me that bad, I can just watch the fansubs. But I just wanted to explain why personally, the 'Duck' name change drove me insane.

Oh, and as a sub fan, I try not to be mean, and to be understanding, but some (only some. A lot of the dub fans on here have started to be more understanding of the situation, even if they don't like it. I can respect that.) of the dub fans are so childish, it's hard not to get grumpy with them. Ah well, I get back in my own little way - I rub my hands together and cackle with glee when I order a cart full of sub-only anime. (Sorry nice dub fans. I honestly am sympathetic about the no dub thing, I really am. I'm...just not a nice person)
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

... and if I hear one my person complain about how her name is "Duck" in Princess Tutu and how terrible it is because "Ahiru" is sooooo much prettier (omfg, her name is NOT. SUPPOSED. TO. BE. PRETTY.) ... *shakes fist* ... I don't know, I just don't know.

I...actually complained about that. But then again, I was watching the show subbed, and I think when you're watching something subbed, you want it to be closer to the original language than if you're watching it dubbed. And my complaints weren't so much about Duck not being as 'pretty' but from the simple fact that her name was 'Ahiru' and not 'Duck' They could have included a simple note explaining the name, and let it be.
I could understand though having her name be Duck in the dub version, as then it makes a bit more sense than having changed her name in the sub.
Ah well, I bought the show anyway, and I guess if it really bugs me that bad, I can just watch the fansubs. But I just wanted to explain why personally, the 'Duck' name change drove me insane.

Oh, and as a sub fan, I try not to be mean, and to be understanding, but some (only some. A lot of the dub fans on here have started to be more understanding of the situation, even if they don't like it. I can respect that.) of the dub fans are so childish, it's hard not to get grumpy with them. Ah well, I get back in my own little way - I rub my hands together and cackle with glee when I order a cart full of sub-only anime. (Sorry nice dub fans. I honestly am sympathetic about the no dub thing, I really am. I'm...just not a nice person)

Ah, I can understand what you're saying about duck/ahiru in the SUB version, for sure. I am definitely still willing to purchase sub-only, even though I prefer watching dubs ... in fact, it's great that you can get the shows for super cheap! I wish there were some more extras included, though :/
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Ah, I can understand what you're saying about duck/ahiru in the SUB version, for sure. I am definitely still willing to purchase sub-only, even though I prefer watching dubs ... in fact, it's great that you can get the shows for super cheap! I wish there were some more extras included, though :/

I will admit that some of the companies (Sentai, Bandai) do cheap out on their sub-only sets, but, some of them are so cheap I won't complain. I generally don't watch fansubs, and if I can get a 26 episode show for $40, I'll shut my trap and shell out the cash.
However, Nozomi, they...are magical. I just ordered both Aria the Natural sets, and I got a President Aria doll, and a paper gondola model. The DVDs themselves have nice extras as well - Marimite had the omake on them, Aria had a travelogue with the director through Venice, great stuff. Rightstuf does go out of their way to make it up to people for the lack of dub, and even some hardcore dub fans have started to recognize this.

Anyway, I always thought that maybe a more risky company could adopt a pre-order deal the way Animego did with Yawara! Basically, if the dub fans really want that dub, they can put their money where their mouth is - if the licensor can get enough people to commit (and I mean, like plunk some cash down, as a promise that they will buy it) to a dub - enough to guarantee they will at least break even, then they can proceed with a dub, and set the final price according to how many pre-orders they get. If they don't get enough people to sign up, then they refund the money back, and can definitely say that there was not enough interest to profit for a dub.
Hell, even if, like someone suggested, they dub the better selling sub-only shows later down the road, and do a trade-in program, with a small fee, it might still work. Only the people who really want the dub will partake, the subbies like me will continue to hang on to their sub-only sets, everyone wins.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I will admit that some of the companies (Sentai, Bandai) do cheap out on their sub-only sets, but, some of them are so cheap I won't complain. I generally don't watch fansubs, and if I can get a 26 episode show for $40, I'll shut my trap and shell out the cash.
However, Nozomi, they...are magical. I just ordered both Aria the Natural sets, and I got a President Aria doll, and a paper gondola model. The DVDs themselves have nice extras as well - Marimite had the omake on them, Aria had a travelogue with the director through Venice, great stuff. Rightstuf does go out of their way to make it up to people for the lack of dub, and even some hardcore dub fans have started to recognize this.

Anyway, I always thought that maybe a more risky company could adopt a pre-order deal the way Animego did with Yawara! Basically, if the dub fans really want that dub, they can put their money where their mouth is - if the licensor can get enough people to commit (and I mean, like plunk some cash down, as a promise that they will buy it) to a dub - enough to guarantee they will at least break even, then they can proceed with a dub, and set the final price according to how many pre-orders they get. If they don't get enough people to sign up, then they refund the money back, and can definitely say that there was not enough interest to profit for a dub.
Hell, even if, like someone suggested, they dub the better selling sub-only shows later down the road, and do a trade-in program, with a small fee, it might still work. Only the people who really want the dub will partake, the subbies like me will continue to hang on to their sub-only sets, everyone wins.

Oh wow ... that's really neat to hear about the Aria extras since I'm interested in buying that show eventually (it looks neat!)

That's an interesting proposal ... I'm not sure if it would WORK, but it might ... I would definitely plunk down some change (i.e. make a "down payment") for instance - of ... I don't know $10-$20? If I knew that was going to go towards the purchase of a dub of an anime I liked or be refunded. It seems like they could work something like that out via the internet fairly easily, but I'm not an expert!

I mean, retailers do that w/ anime merchandise ... like figures ... people preorder and then they know how many to stock.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
The only problem with your proposal, Quark is that many dub fans are less hardcore. They don't buy their anime online, they don't really read ANN, or look into the companies much. So the whole notion of a pre-order to get a dub might happen without them even being aware of it. And without support from these fans, who would buy it if there was a dub, well we might never get enough pre-orders to get a dub. But hell they should try, you never know. It's worth a shot at the very least. I like the idea.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Blood- wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

I just can't believe some of the ridiculous crap he spouts! I mean, that's fine, Mario, if you love Clannad. It's a good show, and I like it as well (although I love Kanon and Air much more!) It can be your favorite show, and you could write a thesis on why you love it, but it is just NOT POPULAR WITH MAINSTREAM AMERICA. Even thought it has a strong internet following, it's mostly fansub watchers who won't shell out the money for it. Yes, that sucks. It sucks that there is no dub. But it's perfectly understandable WHY the industry is doing what it's doing.

As you can see people, this is a clear example of the delusional leaps of logic that the Lunatic Dub Fringe will take, they can't accept facts even if they fall over them like a 16 ton weight, everybody and their grandma knows that a harem moe show doesn't have the kind of pull to sell DBZ, Bleach, Naruto or dare I say it... Gundam or Code Geass numbers Dub or No Dub to John/Jane Anime Fan, pure simple economics.

Clannad (a title that I wouldn't touch with a 2000 M pole) apparently has sold well enough for Neo ADV and we all know that adding the cost of the dub would make a moderate hit Sub only into an unmitigated disaster with Sub and Dub. Heck I would be more than Happy if anybody would pick up Shin Mazinger Z and be even happier if they sold it sub only and you know why, because even in my fanaticism I know this title will not sell like gangbusters in R1, The rest of the planet, that's another matter (Spain, an smaller market, is getting Shin Mazinger Z and just so I can rub 151° proof rum (I recommend Puerto Rican) into the wound, they will probably dub it, because that market will support it).

Last edited by Vicserr on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 am; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In any case, my point is this: don't resent Nozomi for picking up niche titles and giving them the sub-only treatment. They are providing a valuable service in making titles available that otherwise would not see the light of day, subbed OR dubbed. Trust me, if Nozomi thought it could make more money releasing its titles dubbed, it would. Shawne doesn't strike me as the kind of businessperson who would turn up his nose at the chance to make more money as opposed to less.
I will resent it as I still think Emma deserved so much better treatment. It's this, and past experiences well documented by other companies, that proves to me that not all business decisions are the correct, or best one's. Call me a stubborn old git, if you must, but not properly dubbing V.R. Emma will always be an epic fail to me, and if Nozomi wants my money, they are RightStuffed until they do. I relinquish the floor to the house. Arrow
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
@Mohawk52 - fair enough. Even though I don't exercise a sub only boycott with respect to DVD purchases myself, it's your money and nobody has the right to gainsay how you decide to spend your own cash. It is only when posters step away from the realm of personal opinion and start making claims about business decisions (i.e. a given title would ABSOLUTELY make a profit if dubbed) that I look a little askance.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
For those complaining about sub only releases I would say be grateful for anything right now. I mean look at the world economy period for starters. Then look at the anime industry which has been on a downward spiral for years. With companies making less and less profit it's becoming increasingly harder and harder to make enough to even stay in business. By providing fans with sub only releases they can turn more of a profit on a show as their costs were less without a dub. Or in this market hopefully just break even at least. Plus consider the fact that many fans are complaining about not getting shows sooner. By doing them sub only they can get a show over here and out to people faster. With a dub it's not just about the actual time it takes to make a dub. The company has to get a director for it. Then the director has to do casting calls to get a cast together. Then after that it's set up a schedule for the dubbing sessions. Even when those are done you still have editing, mixing, and actual product production and distribution. That's not an easy process nor quick one. Sub only releases skip that. I wish titles like Emma or Aria would get dubs as well but I understand why they can't at this point.

If fans were to buy these sub only releases and show companies they are interested in their products and will support them again then more companies might take bigger risks. They'd do dubs for more non-mainstream shows as opposed to the constant moe fest and shonen shows. You gotta remember no matter how much they want to please fans or are fans of anime themselves they are a business. They need to make money to continue to be in business and put food on their table, and anime has never been a huge cash cow to begin with. Manga artists get the shaft even more on that end but that's an entirely different discussion.

Prede wrote:
The only problem with your proposal, Quark is that many dub fans are less hardcore. They don't buy their anime online, they don't really read ANN, or look into the companies much. So the whole notion of a pre-order to get a dub might happen without them even being aware of it. And without support from these fans, who would buy it if there was a dub, well we might never get enough pre-orders to get a dub. But hell they should try, you never know. It's worth a shot at the very least. I like the idea.

I would tend to disagree on this myself. I think with the decline in anime being available at a retail store in any real selection fans of all sides are being forced to shop online more and more regardless if they even want to. I mean with the departure of Suncoast/Mediaplay who's left that carries any kind of selection? Best Buy is the only store chain that comes to mind and they're busy scaling back their selections in most stores. At least all the ones around me sure as shit are. Anymore if a fan of anime period wants a selection they're forced to go online. I think hardcore dub fans are the last group campaigning for stores to carry more physical merchandise but they've got no choice but to shop online at places like TRSI or RACS for examples. I would also argue hardcore dub fans read ANN or AOD just as much as well. I mean they need to to be able to stay current on which shows are even getting a dub anymore to begin with. Maybe I'm just making assumptions based on my own mindset as I fall into the category of a hardcore dub fan.

I think pre-orders for a dub could be a good idea. Funi or or any other company could pick a new title or two and test the idea out. See how many they get. I mean that's the only real way to find out if it's viable or not. I think though that it could be a possibility that might work. The one thing I would say would have to happen, that might scare off some fans, is make the deposit for a pre-order non-refundable. They gotta get something out of it. However you can just make it only like $5 which was the normally pre-order amount used at Suncoast stores back in the day. Plus people are more apt to continue a purchase they've already fiinancially invested in. Again just my opinion though through experience working at Sam Goody/Suncoast for 4 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13