• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Aniplex Machina

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
What I find ironic is that they complain about reverse importation (and I do think it is an issue), but AoA prices have resulted in some fans to basically rage buy all-region players and import from other countries.

*raises hand* Guilty as charged. Anime catgrin
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
That's the main problem with streaming (besides internet service). People think it is a library where the books never get thrown away, and that is not the case.

Old stuff will get taken off, and may never come back. This is not just an anime issue, but an issue for all TV and Movie shows.

And that's precisely why I buy shows. There's no guarantee that a streaming service will keep a particular series up for any definite length of time, or even that said streaming service will be around in a few years; it could very well be that you go looking for a show you want to watch only to find it vanished into the ether. There are many shows that I want to revisit 5 or 10 (or 20? Damn I'll be an old nerd...) years down the road, so owning the disks ensures that I'll be able to do so. I'm not saying that every single series I own is a cherished gem, since sometimes you see good deals and a sale and go "Eh, what the hell," but the vast majority of them are ones I wouldn't mind sitting down with again.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
Listening to the podcast now, I'm thinking, "If I were playing a drinking game where I took a shot every time the word "like" was said, I would be dead from alcohol poisoning already." Smile
cheapassgamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Blood you want titles and prices to prove my point fine I'll give them to you.

But before we get to that MSRP means nothing if a item can regularly be had for under that price all day long with out looking. I'll give you Rightstuf for example whether it be say Funimation's MSRP vs Anipex's MSRP neither companies titles are sold for full MSRP.

On Rightstuf right now this very moment actual price which is under MSRP for these Sentai titles:

Outbreak Company Blu-ray Complete released last month for $52.49
Knights of Sidonia Season 1 Blu-ray Complete releases in June $45.49
Angel Beats! Blu-ray Complete released way back in July 2011 $52.49
Maid Sama! Blu-ray Complete double the episodes at 26 for $74.99

Here is the break down for some Funimation's titles very similar pricing:

Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends DVD/Blu-ray Complete $48.74
Jormungand Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete $48.74
Nobunagun Limited Edition DVD/BD releases in June $47.49
Ben-To DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Limited Edition $52.49

These are the prices for newer and some older released shows if they are not part of the manufacture sale that Rightstuf constantly has going on every other week. I've got it down to a science which people can do as well it's no secret that only a select few can get even a lower price. During one of the sales even a new Blu-Ray only Sentai or Blu-Ray/DVD combo from Funitmation Limited Edition can be had for $41.99 every time. Don't want the LE from Funimation save 4-5 bucks more.

The point I'm trying to make is some of Aniplex's titles are cheaper than some of their other titles. Lets now compare a few of them to the their above 2 competitors just episode count only give or take a episode.

Bakemonogatari Blu-ray Complete $149.98
Nisemonogatari Blu-ray Complete $119.98
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Blu-ray part 1,2, and 3 complete $119.94

Durarara!! Blu-ray Complete $129.98 - double the episodes at 26
Kill la Kill Blu-ray part 1,2,3,4, and 5 $199.90 - double the episodes at 24

So on average the typical Funimation or Sentai title is going to cost you $41.99 plus $3.49 shipping and handling the cheapest option for a grand total of $45.48 for 12-13 episodes of content. If it's two parts and ordered together with free shipping now available for purchases over $49.00 dollars $83.98 total and that's at the lowest price. If the title is not on sale and you can't wait you will be paying $97.48-$104.98 total.

So at the lowest prices possible on sale compared to the constant set price title for Aniplex example Durarara, $83.98 vs $129.98 is only what $46.00 more dollars at most and at least $25.00-$32.50 a minimum more.

Even the mega hit Kill la Kill is $199.90 a difference of $115.92 at the very most. But right this second without the sale price the difference shrinks to $94.92 more.

I know this thread is almost a year old, but I found it while reading about the recent reacquisition by Aniplex of their licenses from Funimation catalog titles.

The prices you use in your comparison are quite a bit off, good sir. Like you, I would never compare MSRP. But the prices that Right Stuf has at any given time when it is not an end-of-year sale are usually quite bad, and shouldn't be used for price comparisons either.

For example, I paid $28.50 for each season of Clannad on blu-ray from Deep Discount (49 episodes for $57) and $30 for each Collection of FMA:B on blu-ray from Amazon (64 episodes for $60), which are two of the greatest shows in the history of anime. Comparing these two to your lowest priced Aniplex example by dollars per episode of Durarara!! (26 episodes for $130), you can see that your example costs over 300% more (notice how I didn't use absolute dollars to compare like you did, and instead used percentage), and is nowhere near as good of a show quality-wise as my two examples.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12