• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
One question, though: what was Rory going to do before Itami stepped in and stopped her?

Introduce her axe to the lady's face, I'd imagine. I didn't pay attention before, but does her lipstick always change colours when she's in battle mode?
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to thank GhostStalkerSA for the excellent explanations and reference.

You're welcome. I may despise this series because of all the right-wing bullshittery happening all the time, but I can't stop following it because of its sheer trainwreckiness.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
That a country's media will portray the country itself in a super positive light is hardly uncommon. There's no point getting bent out of shape about it.

Perhaps I'm just used to it because I'm a Canadian who enjoys Hollywood films.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That a country's media will portray the country itself in a super positive light is hardly uncommon. There's no point getting bent out of shape about it.

The problem is that it isn't done well and also makes every superpower that isn't Japan villainous. I mean, I like a Clancy technothriller as much as the next guy, but there's something that'll go down during the next episode that just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Even a Hollywood action film doesn't go out of its way to shit on other nationalities for no reason unconnected to the designated villains of the film...

Also, the action scenes somehow manage to be boring after a while. Like the whole Ride of the Valkyries scene back in episode 5. The anime didn't really do it all that well and it left me feeling hollow afterwards, especially because I had pre-hyped it in my mind.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Even a Hollywood action film doesn't go out of its way to shit on other nationalities for no reason unconnected to the designated villains of the film...

Unless you're German. Or Russian. Or middle eastern.

Are you mad because they're villainizing other countries period, or are you mad because your country is being villainized? Not trying to accuse you of anything, I'm just curious. Canada is usually forgotten about let alone villainized so I don't really know what it's like.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Are you mad because they're villainizing other countries period, or are you mad because your country is being villainized? Not trying to accuse you of anything, I'm just curious. Canada is usually forgotten about let alone villainized so I don't really know what it's like.

I guess I'm mad because its not just villainizing, but making other countries incompetent as well. The JSDF can do no wrong, and anyone not of the JSDF can do nothing right, and are just plain bad at what they do. Or something to that effect.

One of the biggest retorts that fans of this series have against the most common complaints is that one is just complaining because the US gets shit on. But it's not just that, it's the fact that when the Americans show up to do things, they're effortlessly outmaneuvered by the JSDF and the reasoning behind their actions makes absolutely no sense politically at all... Everyone except the JSDF has been handed a gigantic idiot ball, and that sucks all the fun out of everything.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I haven't seen any of that to any major degree yet in the anime, which is all I care about, so I'm enjoying the hell out of this so far. Smile

That was probably the most shocking reveal of a (ex)wife since Saito mentioning his in Rurouni Kenshin. Very Happy
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
The thing you need to remember is governments are not truly representative of a country as a whole.

I see this as more of an indictment of the politics of the nations and not the actual country it self. I a proud American who has served in the military and thought exaggerated I do not think it is beyond the realm of probability that such talk would take place, given the same situation.

So unless you are gung ho for your respective governments there is no reason to be bothered by the story line.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
I see this as more of an indictment of the politics of the nations and not the actual country it self. I a proud American who has served in the military and thought exaggerated I do not think it is beyond the realm of probability that such talk would take place, given the same situation.

So unless you are gung ho for your respective governments there is no reason to be bothered by the story line.

Eh, really my problem is that its just too hamhanded in its handling of foreign relations. Also, my suspension of disbelief wants to cry in the corner when I think of all the political stuff.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:

It is a "glaring weakness" in the series even if you aren't offended by proposed stereotypes of international espionage.

The simplest solution would be to ignore it or keep it as brief as possible, but the show wants to keep the subtext in despite it being an hands down the weakest part of the narrative while at the same time being forced to make it a "raised stakes" effect as any one of the foreign powers could make a power play on Japan in hopes of seizing the special area for there own while trampling over Japan's sovereignty in the process.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
In the manga well before Italic when they are checking in, we/Itami learn that Leli is 15, Tuka 165 and Leli says the "Rory is much, much, much, much older" but to get her exact age is to scary to ask. By leaving this out they deprive the viewer of laughing at the diet member when she try's to pull the age card.

I don't know about anyone else, but we didn't need the prior info that Rory was very old to laugh at the scene. It was set up just fine for us, and as soon as the question was asked and you saw Rory's grin, you knew she was in for trouble.

And as a request, can we not discuss what's presumably going to happen in later episodes until it actually happens? Just because something's present in the source material(s) doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen in the anime as well, and I'd prefer reading discussion of what's happened, rather than speculation on what might.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
I think at this point we've determined that this thread isn't capable of talking about the manga in a constructive way. The discussion has gone in circles and has dominated the thread for the entirety of its existence. I've had users tell me that they feel they can't read this thread because of manga spoilers.

So I hate to do this, but I'm putting a moratorium on discussion about the Gate manga in this thread. If you want to talk about the manga, or compare it to the anime, you can do so in the manga forum.

And included in this are statements of the form "prepare to be disappointed because the way it's going..." which we've been getting a lot of. FYI, I consider that kind of thing to be a spoiler too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
So I hate to do this, but I'm putting a moratorium on discussion about the Gate manga in this thread. If you want to talk about the manga, or compare it to the anime, you can do so in the manga forum.

I wish you could do that for every thread. The manga forum is a ghost town, because everyone who wants to talk about source materials seems compelled to do it in the anime threads, and seem to have no interest in discussing the manga until the anime comes out. I've never understood why.

I will admit though, that this discussion seems to be a slightly different animal. Usually we get to hear all about how vastly superior the LN/manga is to the anime, but this time the main criticism seems to be that the anime is somehow not giving us the full experience of just how awful the source materials were. Like that's a bad thing that they improved on the worst parts. oO
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

My honest opinion on this episode with the Japan politics and such: It was fine. I thought that the woman asking questions was completely reasonable, clearly she did want to make a point accusing people of incompetence , but that really is a fairly common thing in politics. You cannot be sure that the right thing is being done unless you have what was done questioned. The characters from the other side of the gate have little idea of what happens on our side, so Japan being unsure and being ignorant of things is completely reasonable. The JSDF really could have done something wrong, mistreating refugees, you should hear about the stuff that happens in regard to that topic in Australia. The work they put into being so accommodating to people was well worth it for this moment.

I really saw little problems, we did not get really anything showing other countries going ridiculous supervillain like. But be serious and despite how we have fair societies in our 1st world countries and such, there will always be people who think differently, so the danger of detractors is an expected threat that should be taken. Even the kind of harsh agent guy, he was a little inflexible or such, but he was doing his job. Sounded like Itami got the qualifications he got from people trying to punish him before he still passes.

And Itami has an ex-wife. My first thought was of how it was a bit scandalous, but then I thought it kind of cool to have stuff like that. The girls were also okay, I did enjoy the sudden reveal of the ages. And the fear from being in a subway is kind of the culture shock I want to see in this series. And we got to see Tuka in a suit, hot.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I think at this point we've determined that this thread isn't capable of talking about the manga in a constructive way. The discussion has gone in circles and has dominated the thread for the entirety of its existence. I've had users tell me that they feel they can't read this thread because of manga spoilers.

And included in this are statements of the form "prepare to be disappointed because the way it's going..." which we've been getting a lot of. FYI, I consider that kind of thing to be a spoiler too.

Understood, I'll try and tone it down. I mentioned this in the Episode review thread, but I'm known within my social circles for tossing things out that others consider spoilers but I personally do not, as I find it hard to discuss a series without talking about the whole series and all of its adaptations when relevant. I really don't consider a general statement about a general something happening in the future to be a spoiler myself, but I can see why it would bother others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 21