• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Maybe eating Ushio was the friends we made along the way Laughing

I thought the part with Reiko and Yuu's dads was a little too much cheese for me (why was the airplane a ghost too?), but I'm okay with the show giving all its cast a last minute under the sun. I haven't stopped to count, but doesn't Hakumen have 9 tails? If he does, he might have one more ace under his sleeve

Or perhaps it's Hakumen no Mono's weak point, or some kind of self-destruct device, assuming from how he didn't brag about it in the episode.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Fantastic series from start to finish and easily one of my top picks of 2015-2016. As a fan of the '90s OVAs, I had high hopes for this adaptation, and it managed to surpass them at nearly every turn. I thought the back half of season one and all of season two felt a little condensed, but I wouldn't be opposed to checking out the manga if it ever becomes available in any official capacity.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Viz will dub it, it is perfect for Toonami. And with this and Hunter X Hunter, Viz will b surpassing Funiamtion on there, without having to be part of the production committee.

Megumi Hayashibara did a great job as Hakumen, I used to like her when she voiced Female Ranma.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder if Viz will dub it, it is perfect for Toonami. And with this and Hunter X Hunter, Viz will b surpassing Funiamtion on there, without having to be part of the production committee.

It's a Sentai license actually. Though I agree it's perfect for Toonami so I hope they'll push for it
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to miss this series. The slowly growing friendship between Ushio and Tora really stuck to me. Hats off to Fujita Kazuhiro for making this great series.
nagpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
How was it a perfect adaptation? Plenty was wrong. From the rushed pace and the cut content from the manga.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about Hakumen's final moment though. spoiler[Did he really want to be born as a human baby or something innocent like that after losing his life to Ushio and Tora? Did that stem from his jealousy of his birth as a being of pure negativity?]
Aezreal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
How was it a perfect adaptation? Plenty was wrong. From the rushed pace and the cut content from the manga.

While I wouldn't necessarily call it a perfect adaptation either, "perfect" does not mean "sticking by the source material 100%". Cutting content is not always "wrong" or a problem, it depends on how it's done (does the absence of those scenes impact the plot? how so? and so on). If anything, it might've been a more consistent approach to fully remove some sections, as opposed to not depicting them but then acting as though they took place, like how they skipped a supposed "mist monster" that was one of Hakumen's tails but then still showed how Ushio could now kill it after he reforges the spear.

As for the rushed pace, it's true that it suffered a big shift in tempo from the 1st half to the 2nd but I personally felt like it gave a much stronger sense of urgency when Hakumen's final plans got in motion. There were only a few specific moments where I felt that something too vital had been crushed in the middle of the narrative, like when Hyou is first defeated by Guren and the scenes come across a bit disjointed (one frame he's somewhere, the next he's somewhere else doing something completely different), or a bit centered on how Nagare was handled (I'm told the execution is better in the manga, in the anime it felt like a bit of a jarring 180º turn at first).

Overall I still agree with the general sentiment expressed by Lauren regarding the series.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Aezreal wrote:
nagpo wrote:

While I wouldn't necessarily call it a perfect adaptation either, "perfect" does not mean "sticking by the source material 100%". Cutting content is not always "wrong" or a problem, it depends on how it's done (does the absence of those scenes impact the plot? how so? and so on). If anything, it might've been a more consistent approach to fully remove some sections, as opposed to not depicting them but then acting as though they took place, like how they skipped a supposed "mist monster" that was one of Hakumen's tails but then still showed how Ushio could now kill it after he reforges the spear.

As for the rushed pace, it's true that it suffered a big shift in tempo from the 1st half to the 2nd but I personally felt like it gave a much stronger sense of urgency when Hakumen's final plans got in motion. There were only a few specific moments where I felt that something too vital had been crushed in the middle of the narrative, like when Hyou is first defeated by Guren and the scenes come across a bit disjointed (one frame he's somewhere, the next he's somewhere else doing something completely different), or a bit centered on how Nagare was handled (I'm told the execution is better in the manga, in the anime it felt like a bit of a jarring 180º turn at first).

Overall I still agree with the general sentiment expressed by Lauren regarding the series.

From the rushed pacing of the early episodes (mitigated by the 1992 OVAs), the of skipping the entire Western Bakemono war arc that introduced the bakemono of the west spoiler[and their plan to get rid of Ushio's mother with their own army of barrier creating bakemono to keep Hakumen no Mono sealed.It also detailed a part of Hakumen's history and covered it's first encounter with Ushio and Tora. A pretty important arc and it would've been an excellent way to conclude the first season.] Though to make room for it they would've had to cut another arc (which I think they should have done honestly, the H.A.M.M.R arc didn't really need to be there asides from introducing the two scientists that helped develop technology to combat Hakumen later) instead or have a full 52 episodes. Not to mention, cutting so many characters made the ending a bit less cathartic considering spoiler[how much of them returned to contribute to the final battle. The epicness feels notably watered down in the anime as a result]

Considering the episode restraints, they did a reasonable job, and that's the all I hoped for coming in.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll miss this one a lot :'( I don't think i've seen an anime as earnest and that wore its heart on its sleeve like this one. Great finale to the most shonen-y shonen anime i've ever seen
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I saw the OVA some years ago, but wanted to hold off on watching this till it was done and if it finished the story. So now that it's over, could anyone tell me if it completes the original manga's story?

Thanks Smile

edit: Also, is it censored? I remember it being quite violent, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there were some blackened scenes or something.

Last edited by Covnam on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Not gonna' lie, I went into this series expecting a more dark and gritty tale. I mean, in those early episodes, I felt like it was really not skimping on showing you plenty of (monster) gore with a hefty side order of death. But this show came out pretty emotionally charged, something that I was seriously not expecting, and even managed to avoid a lot of the narrative pitfalls I thought it was going to fall into.

Like Hakumen not being redeemed (or if it was, it may have been that it's consciousness became a child, I'm not totally sure on that), or Tora not being reincarnated (that we saw), or for any of the deaths we've had thus far being undone, or even something as small as granting Hyou death, when I was really sure the series was just going to give us the alcoholic mom and neglected child as replacements for his lost family. I mean, pretty much the only thing I predicted that stayed true was spoiler[Saaya not paying the price for opening the Underworld Gate]. So kudos to this show for actually sticking to its guns, because we've had more than a few shonen that pretty much did all of what I listed above, usually not to successful results.

As for being an adaptation, I usually judge adaptations on works I'm not familiar with by how well the story flows. There were a few hiccups here and there (Kirie just dropping out of *nowhere* to live at Mayuko's house was one, as was how he got on friendly terms with Ushio during the memory wipe), but for the most part, I felt like it wasn't too obvious where cuts and rejiggerings had been made. So, pretty successful in my book. I can't fault them too badly for whatever content they cut; there were supposedly over 100 chapters, and 39 episodes to fit it in. It was either cut or cram, and I think the studio made a smart choice in not trying to do a more "faithful" adaptation.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
It's a Sentai license actually. Though I agree it's perfect for Toonami so I hope they'll push for it

Yeah, hopefully it gets a dub and it gets on at some point. It's a pretty fitting style show for Toonami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12