• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
I’m still liking this show. It’s definitely a slow burn and doing the whole set up phase. I gotta hope that it’s going “somewhere” with the series script writer being the same from Code Geass. My gut is something big is going to happen to completely change the show. I could be wrong though. I do realize this is totally different than my favorites of 0083 and 08th MS team.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:36 am Reply with quote
Honestly I felt like the stuff with the kids in this episode was pretty realistic in as far as a bunch of kids getting roped into a startup and running a purported major company they were woefully inexperienced and under-qualified to be handling, to the point that there's only like two of them that actually seem to have an idea of what they're doing and I think they're also both in business courses. But they're still kind of out of their depth.

I mean, nowhere is there more evidence of that than in that PV.

I guess I like the cast and their personalities so I'm not in any major need to see the plot escalate immediately at this point because that still feels like a slow-burn that will blow up probably in the finale. I guess the second cour of TWFM will be the more traditional Gundam stuff people expect, but I'm digging the character drama unfolding personally. But I also don't think they're overdoing the high school/teen stuff in a way that doesn't make sense.

Also the debate about using the tech for weapons only for Miorine to come around and bring it back to what it was originally designed for, medical use, felt appropriate.

Suletta is too trusting of her mother (almost to sycophant status) and just way too out-of-her depth at this point to feel like a protagonist driving the plot, while Miorine's assertive personality makes her stand out more in the last few episodes. Maybe the Shaddiq fight or finding out the truth might change that.

Shaddiq brought in more than one Mobile Suit and we saw his entire Harem, so are they setting up the bout against him to be a team fight? I also have to assume Prospera found a workaround for anti GUND-Arm tech, but she's surprised me before with how little she's prepared Suletta for what she has to deal with.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I remember we had a glimpse of the outer world(s) in past episodes*. But now we're stuck with a mixture of MBA, high school life and cringe PR videos. While I do not need a nuke exploding an killing every minor character, I'd appreciate something to happen that involves the story moving forward.

I understand the idea of setting a character in a new place and having everything explained to her/the viewers. But it's as if suddenly they decided that Suletta cannot be too active. Lately her most usual dialogue is "Sorry!". She is looking more and more a secondary character in her series (it's the Witch from Mercury, not the Neglected Heiress).

* do you remember the riots on Earth? Apparently the writers don't.

I have a feeling what ever Shaddiq is planning, Suletta will be the one to take the initiative especially if it affects Miorine. I am though still waiting for "that moment" where Suletta will reciprocate back to Miorine just as Mio did to her back in the conference party. Or at the very least have Suletta declare, "I am Miorine's groom so back off!" or something to that nature.

And also, there's something that's definitely fitting with these teens getting wide-eyed idealistic inspirations of being able to create Gundam for good via medical purposes. That is SO setting them up for real hardships in future episodes. God forbid, if it becomes a repeat of the prologue which would be really tragic.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
To be fair, Suletta's attitude towards her bride has been… having a "date" with Elan, shipping her own fiancee with Shaddiq and running away from Guel's proposal, more out of fear/dislike of him than for love/loyalty towards Miorine. In fact, she seems more possessive towards Aerial than Miorine. It may change, but you can't build up a relationship when none of them seems too invested in that (maybe Miorine, who is always snarking about their status).

Also, do you also remember when we thought that Suletta would be destroyed after Elan(clone#1)'s death and substitution and treason by Elan(original)? No worries, she's fine, Elan who?
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
This show sucks. It sucks straight up.

I really wanted to like it, because a female-fronted lesbian Gundam sounds great, but the writing is absolutely asinine. There's clearly supposed to be an arc about the main characters growing and learning to beat the adults at their own game, but since new rules are constantly being arbitrarily added, it makes the adults look like morons and it completely breaks the suspension of disbelief that this society actually exists the way it does.

Wow, real life must absolutely give you conniptions then.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I think it's fair to say the world-building in Witch is pretty whimsical, and has less, uh, gritty verisimilitude than most Gundam shows. I don't think that makes it bad, though; it is mostly riding on the strength of its character writing, and principally character-writing of the kids. It seems intentionally uninterested in painting the adults as anything more than exaggerated background.

Also eternally surprised racoon girl faces. That's at least 30% of the appeal.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Posts deleted along with responses. It's fine criticising the show, but do it without being condescending or insulting to other posters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OshiyamaFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no sugarcoating it: This is the worst-looking G-Witch episode by far.

I would recommend rewatching episode 7 lol.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meaningless ritualism rife with unfairness and outright rule breaking having an outsized effect on people's lives and fortunes? The duels themselves are an example as to how capitalism, e.g. stock market fluctuations affect people's lives.
But stock market fluctuations often are tied to many things that aren't meaningless rituals. War, resource issues, instability in parts of the world, bad human management ect. This seems like a pretty bad simplification if that's what it's going for. And we've seen it happen to Guel and Elan and I didn't connect that to meaning anything tied to the stock market by symbolism. Instead for Guel it seemed to be tied to his father's legacy pressure and Elan's role seemed to be more throw away and tied to the over arching plot of enhanced humans more than anything.

Quote:
You must be watching a different show. We've seen kids desperate to escape, kids who have to gamble and rear animals to make ends meet, kids who are willing to throw other kid into a meat grinder just to get ahead. Plenty of pressure here.
Mio is desperate to escape her over-controlling father. We all agree parental themes are major in this show. We already know earth house is tied to whatever the show is trying to say about classism. But that really does it run counter to my point that the show's school is poorly done at depicting how dog-eat dog it is. Even those scenes your mentioned come off as jokes more than anything. Nothing about the school feels scary.

Quote:
We see almost every episode how the Earth House gets struggle to get by. Simply buying flight pack nearly bankrupted them to the point of needing to gamble to recoup funds. For someone who is decrying what they view as unsubtle storytelling, you sure seem to need your cues as cliche as possible.
But this was cliche as possible. Earth house is the scrappy underdog and needs to pull all it can to win a mobile suit duel that they can all watch from either an advanced spaceship, their advanced computers, or phones. Nothing feels really like a struggle or gritty in regards to whats going on.

Quote:
We live in a world where someone barely older than Miorine was able to establish a billion dollar medical technology company based on literal nothing just via pure connections. At least Miorine was trading on technology that actually exists where people can see it.

Venture capitalists in real life routinely throw millions or even billions of dollars on stuff without even doing due diligence. This was actually more sensible than that,
I expected you to mention Theranos and sure. I'll give you that. Sill seems pretty dumb that teenagers are involved in designing mobile weapons.

Quote:
Congratulations, you've learned today how silly the stock market can be. A single tweet from a fake account can (and has) cost companies billions. Again, this is almost sensible in comparison.
PR is big and also worldwide. The duels and school stuff seem rather isolated and not really known outside of the group.

Eh even if what you're saying is true, I simply find this all very uninteresting and filled with unlikable plots and characters. Nothing will change my mind. So i guess enjoy your anime. I'll wait 7 years for another Gundam AU show with hopefully a more engaging plot and characters involved in an interesting conflict.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
A recurring theme of the first and second season is the “alleged” main character getting into a love triangle between his childhood friend who he once nearly let starve and the teenaged activist (he was weirdly antagonistic towards for no good reason at one point) that his mercenary outfit was hired to protect. There’s even an imagine scene that involves him having kids with both characters…..which the series doesn’t ultimately fully commit to.

- Mikazuki vs Crank “I Crank Zent in effort to save face and without telling my subordinates will go all alone to face this upstart mercenary group that humiliated my forces and get myself killed which involves me being shot while I’m giving a thank you speech. I can only hope that one of said subordinates who I didn’t tell about my plans doesn’t decide to become blinded by revenge because of my unnecessary attempt at selflessness ”.

- McGillis vs Gaelio “Gaelio, I know we were close. But I’m now going to reveal for no reason my plans to change Gjallorhorn which has legitimate problems which also involves me working with Tekkaden our sworn enemies. I was also responsible for setting up Carta’s death as eventhough she was in love with me and I probably could’ve talked her into turning against Gjallarhorn she needed to be removed so now with you being angry I’m going to defeat you in a duel and not bother to make sure you’re deceased. Not like you’ll survive and become a spanner in the works in a couple years time right?”

- Carta vs Mikazuki “Hey Tekkaden I’ve know I’ve been harassing you guys on and off for the last several episodes with you guys stifling me and killing plenty of my guys. And eventhough I did kill one of your more nicest members but do you think 3 of your guys can fight me and 2 of mine in an honorable duel?

All three of these duels were pretty stupid in setup and eventual payoffs.

But teens/Young Adults starting a Private Military Organization. Which gains considerable influence after they successfully accomplish their main mission that takes up much of the first season.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the GWitch thread is always so prickly!

When we're all quite done arguing about whether the privileged heir to a multi-trillion space conglomerate leveraging her fathers credibility to secure seed capital at an otherwise uninspiring investor event equivalent to the amount Peil was prepared to write off as part of a plan to trap Suletta and Aerial is "realistic" in a show that features 60ft high bipedal robots...

Beyond using Daddy to secure some pocket money (pretty much all spent already), they're not really being presented as hyper-competent. They've got no business plan to speak of (let's call what they do have a "vague aspiration"), one god-awful high-school media project of a promo video and some paperwork that has been rejected. Plus a spray painted sign some 10 year olds could make a better job of. They very much look to have the level of competence you might expect of a bunch of 17 year olds. Possibly less given the number of successful start ups actually created by 17 year olds, and Miorine is apparently on the business management course.

Rosiero wrote:
There's clearly supposed to be an arc about the main characters growing and learning to beat the adults at their own game, but since new rules are constantly being arbitrarily added, it makes the adults look like morons and it completely breaks the suspension of disbelief that this society actually exists the way it does.

Arbitrary rules being added at the last minute? Was that not in your experience of interactions with adults as a teenager? The wider world doesn't entirely work the same way, but as they say "The golden rule is that the one with the gold, makes the rules". And that's totally not something we see every day in our own universe.

kgw wrote:
To be fair, Suletta's attitude towards her bride has been… having a "date" with Elan, shipping her own fiancee with Shaddiq and running away from Guel's proposal, more out of fear/dislike of him than for love/loyalty towards Miorine. In fact, she seems more possessive towards Aerial than Miorine. It may change, but you can't build up a relationship when none of them seems too invested in that (maybe Miorine, who is always snarking about their status)

Also, do you also remember when we thought that Suletta would be destroyed after Elan(clone#1)'s death and substitution and treason by Elan(original)? No worries, she's fine, Elan who?

But that's totally in-character is it not? She doesn't know Elan-4 is dead, has no particular reason to suspect true-Elan is a different person, and probably hasn't really considered that she was deliberately set-up by Elan. She's big hearted and exceptionally naive. She's lived practically cocooned inside Aerial for 16 years. It's probably going to happen at some point, but it hasn't yet.

And on "Sulemio", There's certainly an obvious conclusion to jump to from Miorine's body language on that scooter ride, if not the actions taken at the incubation party. But Suletta is almost certainly not in the loop. She considers Miorine a very close friend, but I don't think it's anything else at this point (partly because she's got set of preconceived notions of what romance looks like apparently based on shoujo anime).

MFrontier wrote:
Suletta is too trusting of her mother (almost to sycophant status) and just way too out-of-her depth at this point to feel like a protagonist driving the plot, while Miorine's assertive personality makes her stand out more in the last few episodes. Maybe the Shaddiq fight or finding out the truth might change that.

Yeah, Suletta is more a point-of-view character than a protagonist at the moment. I think we will see some development from her at some point, but equally I don't think it's narratively necessary for Suletta to drive the the plot. Sure that clashes with a lot of macho ideas about what a hero looks like, how a person "should" act, and so on... but I don't think it's in any way invalid for the world to be something that sweeps Suletta along rather than something she drives forward.

MFrontier wrote:
I also have to assume Prospera found a workaround for anti GUND-Arm tech, but she's surprised me before with how little she's prepared Suletta for what she has to deal with.

Yeah, it is a bit weird just how much Prospera's 21-years-in-the-making revenge plan relies on dumb luck and Miorine repeatedly bailing Suletta out of situations she'd never be able to get herself out of. There's faith in your darling daughters and then there's... this.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no sugarcoating it: This is the worst-looking G-Witch episode by far.

I don't know how to argue with this, because it's as if you're telling me Suletta has blue hair. I've yet to see any noticeably bad animation in this show, and this episode's lack of action scenes makes the supposed issues (the tiny goat in the background of the intentionally-janky promo video?) even more imperceptible. But that's par for the course for me, really... I'll have to add that to the list of Fan Things I can't comprehend, along with the Suletta-is-a-tanuki meme, and referring to the show as "G-Witch."

On a similar note, I'd like to remind everyone that it's virtually impossible to convince someone that something they like is actually terrible, or that something they hate is actually awesome, through internet arguments. All this ever achieves is entrenching both sides. Though, knowing that never stopped anyone before.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate G-Witch's willingness to go episodes without a big mecha action scene. The need to put one in every episode was the worst part of many classic real robot anime, including early Gundam—it killed the pacing and created a lot of repetitive battles that blur together in retrospect.

On the other hand, the business aspect of these episodes could be better. It's too involved to pass by but too shallow to get a lot out of. Honestly, the order of events feels wrong—getting the Earth House kids on board and putting together a pitch would have felt much more urgent if that was what Miorine was going to approach investors with. Besides, even sketchy startups usually announce what they intend to sell when they make their pitches.

I'd also probably care more about some of these decisions if we knew more about the overall state of the world. The arguments over sale for military purposes would seem more urgent if we knew anything about wars (Are there any going on right now? Is someone engaging in aggressive expansion or posturing?) or who is currently buying military tech (Governments? Corporations? Private groups?). We haven't seen much of political or school life since episode 4, and that lack of background makes investment harder.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:35 am Reply with quote
^I got the impression from the episode that the space corpos would be using them in wars fought on (or with?) earth.

So are gund format prosthetics illegal along with gundams? The info seen in the prologue and the original pitch seemed to imply how necessary they were for living in space, yet they don't seem wide spread. So either humans mostly overcame their need, or they were made illegal (or very nearly) and stopped being used.

Interesting to note for those looking for more evidence to separate Eri and Suletta; Suletta had no idea who that old scientist (Cardo Nabo according to a wiki) was. Of course, she could just have lost her childhood memories for one reason or another (like cryostasis Wink) so it's not like there aren't ways around that either.

Considering the environment Suletta grew up in on Mercury, it's not surprising that she'd take everything her mother said without a second thought. The short story gave the image that she only had her mother and Aerial to interact with for the most part.

The only issue I had with this episode was the end which seems to be getting the show into a routine of the Aerial at threat of being taken away & destroyed, then it seemingly gets saved, then it's not, then it is and so on. I was hoping that would be done with this new business, but hopefully this last stumbling block is the end of this kind of threat.
maric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:50 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
and referring to the show as "G-Witch."

For real though, I'll never understand why the incredibly obvious and better sounding "Mercury Witch" isn't the common name (or why it was even localized to the much clumsier sounding "The Witch from Mercury" for that matter)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 43