• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
Kinda dropped this, but then decided to give it another try.
Chaos everywhere..
spoiler[Nao] seemed to be the only one with a cool head.
He was clearly serious about helping.
The situation seems rather one sided, in favor of Martians.
All the humans could do was think and test possible attack methods.
Taking out the spoiler[cameras] was a smart move.
spoiler[The princess] finally played her part as a good distraction.
spoiler[Destroying the purple mecha felt satisfying.]
That Nao feels like a machine sometimes.
Great episode! Picking this up!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Amazing setup. And I'm someone that has no taste for the mech anime genre.

I can't compliment this show enough. Looks like surprise hit of the season. Fantastic production value as well, except it isn't wasted on a terrible script like Gulity Crown. The soundtrack added so much to episode 3. I think it would have felt completely different with generic bgm.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Pretty good episode. There are multiple times where I simply have to suppress my credulity, but whatever. One thing that didn't occur to me last eppie but did this time: okay, so you are part of a super-secret assassination team tasked with killing your own Princess to justify an interplanetary war and...

...you bring your daughter along? Okay, then.

Like I say, with a show like this ya just gotta let stuff slide or it makes it impossible to watch.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure she was a lookout.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
It was that or boarding school, they chose hiding in enemy territory with plan of committing high treason to cause interplanetary war.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Seeing Inaho talk about his feelings a little bit definitely helped me like him more, because it showed that he actually has feelings.

Watching them execute their plan was really awesome. It was especially nice to see spoiler[the princess take part, although I must say I wasn't expecting that her disguise was some sort of hologram.] The music during this part was great, too.

And of course the after-credits part. I'm glad that Slaine spoiler[knows the princess is alive], since that felt like something that could be dragged out for a needlessly long time. And watching him spoiler[kill that guy] was quite satisfying. I wonder what he'll do now with the new knowledge he has.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Pretty good episode. There are multiple times where I simply have to suppress my credulity, but whatever. One thing that didn't occur to me last eppie but did this time: okay, so you are part of a super-secret assassination team tasked with killing your own Princess to justify an interplanetary war and...

...you bring your daughter along? Okay, then.

Like I say, with a show like this ya just gotta let stuff slide or it makes it impossible to watch.

Wasn't really clear whether or not they were actually martian, might have been earthling that they promised to give them ver nationality, hence why he had a daughter with him and brought her along to being picked up.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
My money would be on that a backstory reveal will be that the assassin daughter is going to be a half Terran half Martian as some sort of commentary that the two races are still compatible.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'll add my voice to the chorus of those mightily impressed and satisfied with this episode. It even addressed my main complaint about Inaho being too stoic. spoiler[The climactic scene certainly showed that he has emotions even if they don't make it to the surface.] I didn't have a problem at all with the kids' tactics succeeding where the military didn't, because they were probably among the rare few to get that up-close with one of those Martian Cataphracts and survive the experience and then have time to analyze the results. And yes, I agree that the final scene was a joy to see.

Not mentioned much yet is that the princess, while she may be an idealist, clearly isn't stupid or a fool. spoiler[I had the distinct impression that she didn't seriously expect to dissuade Sir Trillam and was instead merely banking on her appearance throwing him into confusion long enough for the plan to be completed.]

Plenty of juicy potential for where this could all go next. The next episode will vie with SAO II's for my top-priority view of next week.

EDIT: Just read through what Vaisaga linked to in his earlier post. Can't say I'm thrilled about the timeline presented there, as the events listed there seem to be happening in too compact a time frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
i hope this MC is going to be the next Lelouch.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

no, if you were paying even the slightest attention the MC is not even close to Lelouch situation.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
I do not get why the cameras were only visual. Why not infra-red or heat signature readings? This would have got around the smoke screens and it is equipment you would expect the military to have (considering they have a ridiculously powered suit).

The unit itself would appear to be "invisible" if the cameras were trying to locate the unit in anything but natural light, hell the unit pretty much IS supposed to be invisible, when activating the barrier in ep 2 one of the assassin's proclaimed they were observing the "light of Aldnoah", it only is observable due to some sort of specific exhaust system so the unit's surface transmission weak point does not appear so easily.

Though it wouldn't be too hard if a few of the obverving cameras were watching in something besides natural light for references sake, it probably has something to due with Martian arrogance and oversight that such an "invincible unit" would have such a vulnerability.

Well, that's simple, and it's tech we have today. It's called infrared smoke, and it's designed specifically to defeat IR systems. Beating IR is relatively easy - even clouds interfere with FLIR, because that's just how the physics of infrared absorption works. What IR is good for is discerning targets that are camouflaged in the visual spectrum, not physically concealed. The Martians, for all their technological advancement, are still bound to the laws of physics.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

no, if you were paying even the slightest attention the MC is not even close to Lelouch situation.

I could be wrong, but I think the poster is hoping this MC will spoiler[share Lelouch's fate.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty impressed by this episode and the fight. As I hoped, spoiler[they did take strategic measures to combat the Martian machine. ] Though, I'm a bit displeased that the Terran machines don't really get to be shown off too much. Then again, the first two episodes illustrated what their performances were like.

Key wrote:
I didn't have a problem at all with the kids' tactics succeeding where the military didn't, because they were probably among the rare few to get that up-close with one of those Martian Cataphracts and survive the experience and then have time to analyze the results. And yes, I agree that the final scene was a joy to see.

I agree, it also further develop Inaho as a deductive type of person. His observations and deductive reasoning allow them to spoiler[fight on equal grounds against superior technology. Which leads me to wonder how the Martians operate; it doesn't seem that they had any strategic tactics (yet) but opted to defeat humans with their much superior firepower and technology. Don't get me wrong, they're strong adversaries but if they continue on like this, they may fall to mankind.] I expect the show to expand upon the rankings of the Martians and hope that future battles will be based upon strategical plans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 90