• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20 grade: A

This was a strong episode because it once again questioned the nature of human beings. Parasites, especially those organized in groups, can be considered monsters. But there are monstrous humans who have no disregard for other fellow humans.

I am also very glad that the show went the non-idealistic route by showing that getting rid of the parasites will not be an easy task, and many human lives are going to be lost.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
How can the previous reviewer say that
Quote:
Though this episode's pieces weren't particularly fresh, the overall narrative moved with real momentum, and it's just satisfying to see the story finally moving towards a new, external conflict. It's a little awkward to admit, but the show's ideas about the nature of humanity really seem to have run their course at this point. I'm ready to see some heads explode.
then the NEXT episode get EXACTLY what that reviewer ASKED for and then get a NEGATIVE review for giving them what they wanted? There's no pleasing Anime fans...my god I hate this fandom
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Besides the idiotic move to actually follow Gotou, this episode was not as bad as the review says. It had suspense and action, and actually showed the humans actively fighting back against the Parasytes. Granted the police operations and strategies weren't ingenious, but I certainly couldn't have thought of a better plan. Interrogating them definitely wasn't an option, and there was no way they could've just thrown some bombs in. It may sound monstrous to kill other humans to reach a goal, but keep in mind each Parasyte will kill tens and hundreds of people over time to feed. "In order to kill a monster, you have to become a monster." For the good of humanity as a race, terminating the Parasytes as soon as possible would be the best choice, even if it comes at the cost of human lives. That's what I got from this episode.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21- Sex and Spirit

I guess not much killing in episode 21 then.

current seinen type series i enjoyed watching;

Tokyo Ghoul, Death Parade and Tokyo Ghoul

Each season, after you scratching off the ecchi series- often you are left with 1-2 good series (at least for me).

It's nice to have 3 series instead of 1 series each season this time around
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the review would criticize the cop plan, to me the only problem with it were:

1)that they asked the civilian to leave in group instead of one by one, no idea why they used group.

2) That they chose shotgun blast instead of long range anti-material rifle, why would they attack enemy who only possessed close range weapon with close range weapon is beyond me.

Aside from that it was the best they could do with that situation, they had no real way of knowing parasite had telepathy, so they couldn't really plan for it.

Now when shit hit the fan and they decided to head in, yeah that was dumb but in the chaos of the moment it makes some sense for them to do this. I would have rather they just stop everything and wait for a new sensor but that might not be an option. (The right solution would have been to lockdown the building and gas it, but again in the chaos it might not be possible to change plan quickly).

My main problem with the episode is how moralizing it was, saying that human were monster and all that non sense, when the obvious right choice was to disregard the live of the civilian since it'll lead to far less dead in the long run. But I've long since accepted that anime just cannot do proper moral since the devil is in the detail which is just not possible to cover in short 20 minute burst. To be honest I think the next few episode will be far worse thought, since they'll probably try to make Shinichi "link the human and parasite" or something and that'll involve either some major retcon or deus ex.

And yeah the "follow me" part was really dumb, but not worse than the "let's attack Ryoko three on one, but just one at a time"
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

2) That they chose shotgun blast instead of long range anti-material rifle, why would they attack enemy who only possessed close range weapon with close range weapon is beyond me.

I think they are using Buck shot ammo

all you need is to aim at the chest area and it will hit the heart. It's ideal type of shotgun ammo to kill a person, especially when you are a bad shot.

It's effective. It's also the reason why shotgun is a good home defense type of weapon. beside the rifle or handgun
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20 grade: C

Review wrote:
Suffice it to say, this was not the show I signed up for.

Same here. I was very excited during the first half of the show, but for me its been dragging in the second half and this might have been one of the worst episodes.

In the middle of the episode you have some narration kick in explaining what was going on which was totally unnecessary. We know what's going on and between that and serial killer's comments they deflated the horror aspect. Instead of letting the chilling visuals and scenes speak for themselves they felt the need to explain everything as though the audience were a bunch of 8 year olds. It also has the effect of dragging the episode out with the unnecessary commentary. Totally disappointed with how its turning out. I hope it finishes stronger than this.
asdqweiop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
lol the otaku all got their knives out for this now

guess the show got too popular lol
Nosehair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
i liked the police massacre, what i didn't like was some of the interactions afterwards. telling the police squad to follow him and the police follow him was pretty dumb. especially when a few minutes earlier it was showing how they were just killing the first thing they saw. why don't the police shoot the guy anytime after the psychic looks at him and runs away in fear. i would have been okay with the machine gun arms if it was on the spot, he absorbs the bullets and slings them back at high speed. if this was done in the hallway right when they saw him and then the serial killer runs, then we would have something, but since the moment is built up so much by him saying follow me i was pretty disappointed with a "that's all, I've seen that before" kind of feeling. they did it again right afterwards too with the other parasite waiting at the podium. maybe something cool will happen, they have been doing cool stuff the whole series.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've enjoyed Parasyte earnestly enough that I get little pleasure out of seeing it fly off the rails

Wow, really? Pretty strong words there. I think the show has been fairly good despite a few hiccups.

Quote:
lol the otaku all got their knives out for this now

guess the show got too popular lol

This is why sometimes it's not good to read the manga before the anime...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see that some are not digging the second half but it is build up 100% throughout the run. I have no idea how they want to adapt the manga´s ending in 4 episodes alone as usual. The lack of violence was not to my liking too as the atmosphere was way less messed up that way. Oh well and some animation hickups but that can be overlocked to a degree as it looks very good for an anime. That said it was top 5 episode material (A-) and Parasyte´s central theme is "it was man all along". Let´s just say that you won´t like the final storyline (and next episode especially) as it will preach about that very topic heavily. if you have checked out now. It is my favourite part on the other hand and it is a shame that Yonemura introduces all these very well defined charactres to barely show up again. That said it makes for a well defined world and i would read a manga about the captain and i even think that the military did the right thing to some degree. Oh yes they did use "cop-killer" rounds during the raid. There is a House of 1000 Manga about the manga btw.
Off the rails hm? The series won the Kodansha Manga Award for general manga in 1993. It also won the Seiun Award for being the best manga of the year in 1996.
I am cool with people not digging it but this is the definition of seinen and not enough anime (i call them "HBO anime") like this exist anymore. Fight on Madhouse!
Read Monster (or Urasawa in gerenral) you like the themes here. Next week the will be sex (for once but we won´t see it i guess). Isn´t it fascinating how short the wiki article on all of Parasyte is compared to PLOT heavy anime? Well done cyberspace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
I was really kind of chuckling reading the criticism of this episode. I think a lot of people are missing a big part of what was going on here.

Before I focus on that, 2 things:

(1) Yes, this episode was not the high mark of the series. I've said before, Reiko Tamura spoiler[was the best character in the show by far. Any episode without her in it is going to be below the quality of episodes with her in them.] Was it a mistake for the writer to spoiler[kill her off?] Probably. I agree for the most part that spoiler[without her], the show does slip down more into shounen "fight fight fight and be a cool badass" trappings (like some of the other offerings we currently have on tap.)

(2) The police following our super-parasyte friend into a separate room, after he said "follow me", and after the cop's parasyte radar guy went bonkers and ran away screaming was a major faceplant moment. That was almost parody, it was so bad.

That being said, the episode was no where near as terrible as Nick indicates in his review. At worst, it was B quality for an otherwise A quality show.

The thing I think people are missing is that the writer was clearly trying to comment on Reiko's words to Shinichi, but not just as a condemnation of humanity. Nick (and some other posters) are obsessing over how terrible the police were and how heavy handed the show was being with having Uragami calling humans monsters. However, I think you were missing the other side of the coin. Did you notice how many parasytes were getting slaughtered, and how pathetic their broken bodies looked in many of the scenes? Up until now, parasytes have seemed like invincible killing machines, turning humans into mince meat whenever they want. In this case though, the parasytes seemed weak and vulnerable (aside from Gotou of course). The normal parasytes had a very hard time damaging the cops in body armor, and one hit with the shotgun put them down like hunted prey. Some of them even looked frightened.

Remember how Reiko said to Shinichi that parasytes are a young race and asked Shinichi not to "bully" them? I believe the flashback in this episode also included that request. I think this episode was commenting on the vulnerability of the parasytes almost as much as the cruelty of humanity, and I thought the transformation of parasytes from devastating monsters to terrified prey was a great twist on what had previously been a very consistent theme. It definitely helped keep things fresh for me.

Like I said, I pretty much expected that the show might take a dip in quality once spoiler[Reiko was killed. That happens when a show kills off such a fantastic character] and the writers don't have a flawless plan on how to recover things afterward. But there was still enough philosophical food for thought here to keep the show very intellectually engaging.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think it always was obvious from the beginning that parasite were weaker than human and could never amount to much. They were both outnumbered and outgunned, but more importantly they can't reproduce, there number can only go down not up. It was only a question of time until they'd be wiped out.

Guess I just always saw the parasite as this sad life form who was probably made by human for some contrive reason that the show will have a really hard time explaining. But ultimately it's hard to care about there fate, it's obviously a better move to wipe them out then leaving them around, in that sense it's like feeling sad that smallpox is being wiped out, the only interesting stuff about the parasite is to eventually study them to reverse engineer there ability, but you don't need them free for that, just grab a few and lock them up in a lab.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the episode's review. Just because a show deviates from expectations or decides to give fans some action fanservice, doesn't mean it's a drop in quality. Not sure where the reviewer's arbitrary standards of "subtle, or enlightening, or clever, or gracefully constructed" stand, but to me, it was far from horrible and instead thoroughly enjoyable. Other than the points mentioned above, I have to ask: Is subtlety always necessary and why is it usually valued higher than going all out? Is it because people feel like they're being condescended to? Is it because it technically takes more skill to execute?

In fact, I'd love to hear ideas on how the story could have been handled better in addition to critique.

Last edited by Actar on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
That Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I really hate these reviewers on here, they hate the popular shows but give these under the radar undeserved praise smh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 19