• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's The Best (And Worst) Anime Ending You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've got another bad ending.

Blue Exorcist: Unlike FMA 2003, not many people defend the anime's ending to "Blue Exorcist." We learn that Satan, the source of all evil, spoiler[was sweet-talked by Rin's mother, who was a pacifist who believed humans and demons could co-exist]. The first two episodes showed Satan to be a complete sadist with how he possessed Fujimoto, so not only does that wussify Satan, it makes Rin's mother look like she has a horrible judge of character. Then we have spoiler[Yukio getting demon powers], even though the first episode revealed that because Yukio's body wasn't developed enough, he was unable to get demon powers. While the manga implies that Yukio spoiler[may develop demon powers of his own], they aren't anywhere near Rin's level. Don't get me started on how everybody but Rin and Yukio were sidelined. Shiemi was a useless moeblob, Izumo's tragic backstory was hinted at but nothing came from it, Ryuji never grows past his arrogance, Shima is just the comic relief, and Konekomaru and Takara are just there. The sooner the manga ends, the sooner we can get "Blue Exorcist: Brotherhood."[/spoiler]
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't know what the worst offense in the "Master of Martial Hearts" anime is, the ending itself or the fact that Funimation took the original title and turned it into a horribly tortured pun.

Quote:
Lead characters Kyosuke and Kirino, who are actual blood brother and sister, systematically (and seemingly deliberately) wreck their relationships with most of their friends so that they can be together as a couple.

Yeah, there's a name for people that do things like that to their friends, but it's a little to vulgar to post here.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Spiral energy is vaguely explained

I think it was explained thoroughly enough. The explanation doesn't make any sense, but they did explain. Spiral energy was basically their excuse to completely ignore the laws of physics in favor of the laws of awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
too bad all of them pale in comparison to Koi Kaze which is definitely had a best ending and they did what oreimo didn't. and even though your not a fan of them, I'm pretty sure you would agree if you ever get the chance to see it.

Um, if this was addressed to me then you might want to be aware that probably no one who frequents this site champions that series more than I do. The pedestal I put it on for writing quality is pretty darn high. But while it has a strong final episode, I wouldn't rank it amongst the strongest endings.

On another point, will also heartily throw my support behind Gunbuster's ending. Even if you find it to be cheesy, the meaning that it packs is so special that you cannot deny it.

definitely cant argue with that. gunbuster definitely had one of those endings you wont forget and in a good way.

and you do have a point about koi kaze's endings not being among the strongest endings in general, but it definitely is for series of that genre. and even more so after Oreimo's ending that would leave some people with a bad taste in their mouth. but considering where its original source material came from, its ending didn't surprised me. especially considering of all the rumors going around online that the committee was pressured to make the ending like that since some people would be in an uproar over the whole sibling romance thing which is why series involving stepsiblings are being released and is the norm lately.

Animeking1108 wrote:
I've got another bad ending.

Blue Exorcist: Unlike FMA 2003, not many people defend the anime's ending to "Blue Exorcist." We learn that Satan, the source of all evil, spoiler[was sweet-talked by Rin's mother, who was a pacifist who believed humans and demons could co-exist]. The first two episodes showed Satan to be a complete sadist with how he possessed Fujimoto, so not only does that wussify Satan, it makes Rin's mother look like she has a horrible judge of character. Then we have spoiler[Yukio getting demon powers], even though the first episode revealed that because Yukio's body wasn't developed enough, he was unable to get demon powers. While the manga implies that Yukio spoiler[may develop demon powers of his own], they aren't anywhere near Rin's level. Don't get me started on how everybody but Rin and Yukio were sidelined. Shiemi was a useless moeblob, Izumo's tragic backstory was hinted at but nothing came from it, Ryuji never grows past his arrogance, Shima is just the comic relief, and Konekomaru and Takara are just there. The sooner the manga ends, the sooner we can get "Blue Exorcist: Brotherhood."[/spoiler]

I am afraid your wrong about that series. there is a difference between bad ending and incomplete endings. and blue exorcist is one of many series (Tokko , Soul Eater, Samurai Deeper Kyo ,Rave Master , Bleach, Deadman Wonderland , Claymore , Owari no Seraph/Seraph of the End) where the story ends all of a sudden.

though some of them get an original anime ending,but unfortunately people will have to read the manga to continue with the storyline.

so its definitely not a bad ending at the least. just incomplete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Spiral energy is vaguely explained

While I think what they did with Spiral Energy worked for the show, I think you're picking up on the fact is basically, plot-wise, a less developed version of Getter Rays from the original five-part Getter Robo manga franchise by Ken Ishikawa, of which and whom the director of GL is a huuuge fan. He borrows a bit from it, but doesn't go as far into explaining just what it is.

To the rest of your post, a lot of GL's issues, IMO, stem from the fact that it's paced like a fifty-episode robot show, but is only 27 episodes long. I feel like if we got a full year run, everything would've been much better developed.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
Emiru's hands wrote:
Worst manga ending: NANA (Why...why would it end on that cliffhanger??)

Well, it got stopped there because Ai Yazawa contracted a sudden illness and had to go on hiatus to recover. She apparently got out of hospital in May 2010 after being there for nearly a year. Why she hasn't picked it up again since--good question. I wish I knew the details.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
^^^
It's the only show that has ever made me physically ill. The amount of excessive human cruelty had me nauseous and dry-heaving at one point (according to old posts I made about it- the final episode). Spoilers I've read of what else comes after is a laundry list of further cruelty.

So, my theory has always been is that it made Yazawa sick too. Maybe physically from the typical over work and psychologically from coming up with torture after torture. Personally, I wouldn't want to return to that either.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Roger Ebert on Master of Martial Hearts:

"This OVA doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This OVA isn't the bottom of the barrel. This OVA isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This OVA doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels. The day may come when this OVA is seen as a masterpiece of neo-surrealism. The day may never come when it is seen as having a good ending."

[it had to be done]
Molars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Best: Bebop, FLCL, Penguindrum

Worst: Fruits Basket, Zankyou No Terror
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
and you do have a point about koi kaze's endings not being among the strongest endings in general, but it definitely is for series of that genre.

I would hold that the ending of Koi Kaze was forced by the show's tone and ambience to be somewhat inconclusive. spoiler[For the principle couple to have committed lovers' suicide as Nanoka once suggested, or for them to have made any similarly emphatic statement about their relationship, would have been too vivid and dramatic of an ending to have suited a story that was, with one controversial exception, mellow and gentle.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Best ending? Probably Madoka Magica the TV-series. That series as a whole just had some of the most impeccable pacing I've seen in an anime, and it all came through with an ending that makes perfect sense, wraps up all the loose ends beautifully, and is about as positive as you can reasonably make it without just undermining all the tragedy that came before it. Also looking back at the show in hindsight, I feel like the ending we got was really the only ending the show ever could have had, and I just end up wondering how I didn't see it coming.

On the flip-side... my opinions on Rebellion have changed over and over again in the two and a half years that have passed since I saw it, but one thing that I've always thought; As an ending to the Madoka Magica franchise, it's about as complete and total a failure as you could possibly get. Like, all that stuff I said about the show's ending? Not a single thing there applies to Rebellion, whose ending is flagrantly inconclusive, comes right outta nowhere (or okay, there is some setup for it, but it's so subtle that it certainly feels like a complete narrative 180 both the first and second time you see it), and it somehow manages to be both deeply unsettling and way too happy. "Too happy" in the sense that spoiler[suddenly every single main character is alive again, which even the movie itself basically just goes "Meh. I guess that happened," at rather than giving any proper reason for why... Seriously, Sayaka and Nagisa are dead. There is no logical reason given for why they are suddenly alive again in the Homuverse other than "It seems you two somehow got mixed up in this,"] and deeply unsettling in how spoiler[it is heavily implied (or at least Sayaka seems to be completely convinced) that the new setup Homura has put in place is going to come apart at the seams before too long, and then what...?] Then there is the final scene, which seems to serve no apparent purpose besides underlining how the status quo they've just established can't possibly last...
Now you could argue that all the ambiguity is intentional, that we're meant to draw our own conclusions... but that still leaves the issue of the direction for the ending; Nothing about it feels like an ending. Heck, it doesn't even feel like a "To be continued". It feels like the movie just sets up a new plot and then just abruptly stops. The dialogue, the music, the camera angles... It all feels like it's building up to something and then SUDDENLY CREDITS.

...Granted, they did FINALLY announce that they're making more a few months back, and from what little info they've given us it does seem like this is going to be a sequel to Rebellion which may or may not address my problems with it, but for two and a half years, that movie was the grand finale of the series, with nothing but vague indications that there might be more coming in some capacity maybe. And to me, if that was to remain the final end of the franchise, then Rebellion as a whole was a complete and utter waste of time.

So yeah. As it stands Madoka has both the best and worst ending I've seen.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Two of my favorite endings (apart from the obviously perfect Cowboy Bebop):

Wolf's Rain
What could have been a sappy story about how the journey is more important than the destination turns into a parable charged with religious and philosophical possibilities for interpretation. What is paradise? Can we return to God's garden, or can we build our own? What makes us long for the impossible? Do we have to destroy the world to create a better one? And can we become better people by striving for perfection, even if we never find it?
Keiko Nobumoto knows how to ask these questions without ever diving into pretentiousness.

Psycho-Pass (season 1!)
Exposition isn't Gen Urobuchi's strongest suit, but his endings are powerful. Psycho-Pass believes in the individual's capacity to endure by empowering the people, inviting them to make their own choices instead of forcing a revolution on them. The system hasn't won spoiler[by still being in place]. The perseverance of hope can be just as, if not more powerful than a Bang! ending. Psycho-Pass, like many of Urobuchi's superficially bleak stories, turns out to be deeply optimistic about humanity's potential. It's an empowering conclusion.
Then the second season came along and flushed all of these narrative accomplishments down the toilet.

Honorable mentions: Other Urobuchis, Monster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tokyo Ghoul Root A

And if we count movies, nothing beats the poetry of Millennium Actress.

edit (added the following):

ikillchicken wrote:
As for me, I'm gonna make an unpopular suggestion: Berserk. Some people will probably put this on their worst list but I think it works just great. The golden age arc is and in all likelihood always will be the pinnacle of Berserk and the eclipse is really that arc's inevitable culmination. Hell, the only way you could really improve on it as an ending is if you dropped the first episode and left it completely ambiguous as to whether Gutts spoiler[even survives the eclipse.] Other than that, it's perfect. As the manga has painfully illustrated, we really don't need to see what happens after.

Completely with you on the greatness of TV Berserk's ending. Disagree on account of the first episode, though. I believe we do need to know they will become enemies and things will take a dramatic turn to the worst from the get-go for Berserk to work as a classic tragedy.

Quite fascinating to see how many shows appear as both best and worst ending. Come on, guys, Wolf's Rain is perfect. Very Happy

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericdano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Best Endings, besides some of the ones listed above,

Code Geass (2nd season)
Rahxephon
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so there's plenty of series that I could probably put for these two positions, but a couple stand out to me specifically.

First I'll start with my pick for worst.

Dusk: Maiden of Amnesia Okay, so before I start discussing this in too much depth, I would like to add that this was actual my favourite anime of 2012, but I really did have issues with the ending. spoiler[After such a heartbreaking sequence where Yuuko finally moves on to the afterlife and Teiichi is ready to make an attempt at moving on with his life after all the time spent with her, the fact that she returns for such an asinine reason as him becoming her new regret made little to no sense at all and really frustrated me. I loved everything about this series, including the heavy feeling dread and melancholy that permeated it.] And then they ended it like that... Argh!!

Okay, so I actually have two for my worst ending pick, but the second one is for a slightly odd reason...

Campione! spoiler[So, I mostly enjoyed this series, it's not a masterpiece by any means, although the 10th episode featuring the fight between Perseus, Godou and Liliana is one of my all-time favourite anime episodes for some reason, but the last three episodes make up an extremely horrible and confusing ending. The fact that it also introduces the last major member of Godou's harem doesn't help it at all either. It takes the ending and makes it feel even more rushed than the pacing of the series already felt. ]

Now onto my pick for best ending.

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) Although this is my third favourite anime series, sitting behind Mushishi and Toradora, I find this one to have my favourite ending. spoiler[Between the melancholic finale to Ed and Al's conflict against Dante, and their newfound resolve to reunite with each other across dimensions, I find the anime's ending on its own to be really strong. However, we got Conqueror of Shambala and that just tied up the ending so nice and neatly, I was honestly a little worried about how I would react to Brotherhood when it had started, despite really enjoying the manga.] Part of this is most definitely due to nostalgia, but upon rewatching the series with the recent release, as well as the film, I stand by my belief that this ending is probably my all-time favourite.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Best ending. Well, it's come to this. She, the Ultimate Weapon. I don't even have to spoil anything, it's not an ending, it's the ending. That one stuck with for some time.

My own personal runner up is Kanon (2006), a series that rewards viewers who pay attention. A hint: Count how many spoiler[Ayus there are. There's the one in the hospital room and the one on the train station bench, one representing the young girl who died and the other was the teen who didn't. But then there's the third Ayu who has nothing to do with either of them. The show tells the viewer how to recognize her, a red hairband that neither of the real Ayu know about, but to the show's credit, it doesn't fully tell the viewer what she is.] It hints though...

I also love the fact that each girl comes with their own solution to the mystery... which shouldn't a mystery but really is one, I love this series... Shiori:spoiler[She's the one who proposes the "Red King's dream" scenario where the dreamer can fix everyone in their dream; Also, it's the only solution spelled out in the series. Problem: Hospital room Ayu has nothing to do with the hairband Ayu, the bedridden girl only learns about everyone from Yuichi later.] Mai: spoiler[She is a healer so everyone getting well wouldn't be surprising since they're all in the same hospital. However, she never meet Shiori so it's not likely.] Makoto:spoiler[Magical foxes getting together and making a wish, why not? It wouldn't be the strangest to happen in this series. It would seem to mesh with ghost Makoto's appearance at just the right time and a vague enough wish could gloss over the details. Wait, that sounds familiar...] Nayuki/Akiko:spoiler[A miracle, "just happened". Once is a miracle, twice is coincidence, three times is intentional and it's that intent which keeps it from being a miracle; Someone did something.] Ayu: spoiler[Yes, there's the angel but that's just a thing, it has no real meaning or power by itself.]

None of the above. Answer: spoiler[The key isn't what the wish was or even who answered it; It's who asked it. Red hairband Ayu... but the only who knew about the hairband was Yuichi.] Connect all the clues and you'll figure out how it was done. Wait, it's an unmurder mystery, isn't it? Not surprising from the anime company that also did Haruhi Suzumiya.

It's the only anime ending where I watched the same last four episodes three times in a day; From the first viewing, I thought they did something really clever but it took multiple viewings to figure out what it was.

Worst ending: Clannad Afterstory. I've seen it twice and I still can't register it as a narrative being progressed through succeeding episodes to a logical or even a fantasy ending with the whole mess of plot points culminating in a half episode resolution starring spoiler[Fuuko] of all people. Because of all the people you saw and didn't see in Afterstory, that person was the ... most important? Really? Funny that it's the same Key writer and same adaption team but it's the difference in telling a complete story and trying to please a fanbase.
I don't even understand what you said o_o Is there something I don't get here...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14