• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
She does become a little more assertive, that's true. And I far from mind it when shy characters don't 'get over' their shyness. Shyness in and of itself isn't a weakness or bad trait. It's just that that is all that happens. Tsubasa is still shy, but has less trouble standing up for herself. It was a cute show, but I didn't see any significant improvement from Tsubasa.

When your stick is sized to measure the two extremes Luke moves between, yeah, maybe she doesn't have a significant improvement--many entrants in this tournament don't. Starting out an selfish self-centered asshole and ending up saving the world is not somehow inherently superior to being a character that "starts out as weak and/or flawed but gradually overcomes initial deficiencies to become stronger and/or more respectable." To me this is a case where quality in the execution of the improvement is an important consideration, not just the "distance" of the improvement.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Starting out an selfish self-centered asshole and ending up saving the world is not somehow inherently superior to being a character that "starts out as weak and/or flawed but gradually overcomes initial deficiencies to become stronger and/or more respectable."
I agree. This is why I never nominated the main character of Linebarrels of Iron. He goes from anti-hero jerk to saving the world, but the execution of his improvement was weak. The problem I have with Tsubasa is that she starts out weak and ends weak.

Veers wrote:
To me this is a case where quality in the execution of the improvement is an important consideration, not just the "distance" of the improvement.
I can't speak for the quality of Luke's improvement since I haven't seen Tales of the Abyss, but Tsubasa's execution fell very flat for me. This is largely due to the disjointed feel of the two aspects of the show: the slice-of-life aspect and the alien-fighting aspect.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
When your stick is sized to measure the two extremes Luke moves between, yeah, maybe she doesn't have a significant improvement--many entrants in this tournament don't. Starting out an selfish self-centered asshole and ending up saving the world is not somehow inherently superior to being a character that "starts out as weak and/or flawed but gradually overcomes initial deficiencies to become stronger and/or more respectable." To me this is a case where quality in the execution of the improvement is an important consideration, not just the "distance" of the improvement.

This is the most improved character tournament, though.

Say you have two people that can only bench press 10 pounds. After some training one can now press 50 pounds and the other 100 pounds. Who improved more should be obvious.

Tris8 wrote:
I agree. This is why I never nominated the main character of Linebarrels of Iron. He goes from anti-hero jerk to saving the world, but the execution of his improvement was weak. The problem I have with Tsubasa is that she starts out weak and ends weak.

In Kouichi's case he was still kind of a jerk at the end, but just a more likable one. Luke has almost no trace of jerk left in him at the end.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Say you have two people that can only bench press 10 pounds. After some training one can now press 50 pounds and the other 100 pounds. Who improved more should be obvious.

That's definitely oversimplifying things. How a character gets to their end point is definitely something that needs to be factored in. You can't just have someone go from being a jerk one episode to being the bestest person ever in the next and say they had the most improvement because that's just sloppy writing. The development itself is also being judged, or at least it is by me (and, apparently, Veers as well).

That said, I still voted for Luke and don't plan on changing, based on arguments and the fact that I've seen uh ... half of Figure 17 I think? A couple of episodes at least and while I remember liking Tsubasa at least a bit, she didn't leave a great impression on me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Well obviously if the 2nd person uses steroids to reach that point, it's no good.

But that's definitely not Luke's case.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That's why I always use a spreadsheet with character names on one axis, voter IDs on the other, and an auto-tallying formula. (I'm not the Excel wizard that Dorcas_Aurelia apparently is, but I can do at least basic stuff.)

I'm not really that much of a wizard, mostly it's =SUM, =IF, and =COUNTIF, a couple =VLOOKUP functions, and a heaping helping of being anal about how I lay out the data.

Anyway, squeezing in my vote.

Group C-1
Renton Thurston, Eureka 7 vs.
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise

Voting for: Sesshomaru
Seen neither, liked arguments for the latter better.

Group C-2
Rikuo Sakisaka, Time of Eve vs.
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari [/i]
Voting for: Wakana
Rikuo's change of heart felt to me pretty immediate in the first episode once he realized robots were capable of their own thoughts and feelings. Dtm's case for Wakana is enough for me to vote for her.

Group C-3
Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss vs.
Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes

Voting for: Yukari
Don't really know either, so going with the clear favorite.

Group C-4
Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss vs.
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17

Voting for: Luke
Don't know either, and following the debate, this is a tough call, but I know Luke had pretty enthusiastic (if limited) support even during the nominations, so I'm going with that.

Group C-5
Wabisuke Jinnouchi, Summer Wars vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Voting for: Ami
Wabisuke does stop being so much of a jerk, but he wasn't that bad to begin with. Then, after his dramatic change, well, there's not much left for him to do. Ami, on the other hand, has more complex issues to deal with, primarily being comfortable with her own identity, but also confidence and relationship issues (both platonic and romantic).

Group C-6
Ryuki Shi, The Story of Saiunkoku vs.
Watashi (unnamed protagonist), The Tatami Galaxy

Voting for: Watashi
Judging by the write-up, Ryuki sounds like he was at least partly faking his incompetence. Finding proper motivation is important to, but not enough here.

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach vs.
Kiki, Kiki’s Delivery Service

Voting for: Kiki
Byakuya realizing he doesn't need to constantly be such a hardass is a not insignificant improvement, but his personality is largely unchanged.

Group C-8
Seras Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate vs.
Julian Mintz, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Voting for: Seras
Arguments imply that Julian starts off as a decent character and only has so much room for improvement, so Seras it is.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
Renton Thurston, Eureka 7
vs.
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise

Voting for: Sesshomaru

Wouldn't care too much either way I guess, but I figure Renton just needed the right pushes to to become who he really is at heart, while Sesshomaru has to go from the early demonic antagonist to being the lesser evil, to being reluctant ally, to reluctant guardian, to a b rother who isn't rewally all that bad.

Group C-2
Rikuo Sakisaka, Time of Eve
vs.
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Voting for: Wakana Sakai

I'd say Rikuo was already open to accepting androids and doesn't struggle to much accepting them more.

Group C-3
Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss
vs.
Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes

Voting for: Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka

Group C-4
Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss
vs.
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17

Voting for: Tsubasa Shiina

Group C-5
Wabisuke Jinnouchi, Summer Wars
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Voting for: Wabisuke Jinnouchi

Group C-6
Ryuki Shi, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.
Watashi (unnamed protagonist), The Tatami Galaxy

Voting for: Watashi

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach
vs.
Kiki, Kiki’s Delivery Service

Voting for: Kiki

Group C-8
Seras Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate
vs.
Julian Mintz, Legend of the Galactic Heroes]

Voting for: Julian Mintz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

A better analogy would be say you have one person who can only bench 10 pounds but has the physical maturity to buff up and bench 100, and does so, and you have one person who can only bench 10 pounds and doesn't really care about lifting and is built such that they probably couldn't bench much more than 30 pounds even with some practice but their best friend encourages them to try it any way and after a while they can bench 30 while the other person is now benching 100. If both gave it their all and reached their goal/limit for the time being, who improved more?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The first person because they didn't have to rely on another person for their improvement. It's more impressive changing under your own power than changing due to the influence of others. People are very stubborn and general believe they're in the right. To step back and recognise you're a dick isn't so easy.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I think we've gotten as much mileage as we can from this analogy and then some at this point.

Clearly in the match-up that this is about, there are very differing opinions and it will be interesting to see who wins, though there isn't much time for any more votes to get in. And whoever gets knocked out will obviously not be great for some people but in these tournaments, that's something you need to get over pretty damn fast. Trust me Razz
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The first person because they didn't have to rely on another person for their improvement. It's more impressive changing under your own power than changing due to the influence of others. People are very stubborn and general believe they're in the right. To step back and recognise you're a dick isn't so easy.
Then many entrants in this tournament are just wasting their time if we're going purely off binary metrics like going from asshole to savior. That sounds rather boring to me. Also, it took the influence of others for Luke to recognize he was a dick, so there's that, too.

Last edited by Veers on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I said I was going to change some of my votes in C-1 and C-3 if I saw some strong arguments. And a number of people have put forward arguments compelling enough to convince me that I should change my votes. However, it doesn't look like vote changes that I intend would change the outcome of the matches, and so I don't see a reason to change them when it won't matter. But I thought I should at least explain why I haven't changed my votes despite persuasive arguments as to why I should (hope that made sense).
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I think sometimes people need to be told they're being dicks in order to take that necessary step back. Humans are social creatures, and when you really look at it, the improvements in most of the characters in this tournament were brought about at least in part by the influence of other people. It tends to ring hollow when a character goes, "Welp, I'm a pretty terrible person right now, so I guess I should fix that," because, as you said, realizing the truth all on your own isn't easy. In fact, I would go so far as to call it near impossible.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
^
Even Youko, who looks like she will win the entire tournament, had huge amounts of help. Judging characters purely on what percentage of improvement they achieved on their own is giving far too much weight to one small piece of criteria.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
many entrants in this tournament are just wasting their time if we're going purely off binary metrics like going from asshole to savior. That sounds rather boring to me. Also, it took the influence of others for Luke to recognize he was a dick, so there's that, too.

Well the nature of this tournament is quantitative. If the title was "Character with the best improvement" or something that'd lend itself more to a qualitative approach.

rheiders wrote:
I think sometimes people need to be told they're being dicks in order to take that necessary step back. Humans are social creatures, and when you really look at it, the improvements in most of the characters in this tournament were brought about at least in part by the influence of other people. It tends to ring hollow when a character goes, "Welp, I'm a pretty terrible person right now, so I guess I should fix that," because, as you said, realizing the truth all on your own isn't easy. In fact, I would go so far as to call it near impossible.

But it is possible, though. It just might take something huge to bring it about. Which, in Luke's case, was him causing spoiler[the death of thousands of people.]

Also, like I said before, that was the first time he changed. He goes through a 2nd change after that too, so consideration for that is necessary as well.

Really I just don't see how he's any inferior to some girl from some show I've never heard of who apparently goes from being shy to being not-so-shy. But obviously I can't speak from experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 76