• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It's cute and done in a cute way, that's all about it is.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm complaining because it was stupid. Just another instance of 'that trope joke'.

Just to throw out what I implying earlier, the series more than understands Magical girl tropes, the triplets are acting as the "cute mascot character that has a verbal tic" (emphasis on the latter) that one usually finds in such series because DB's resident talking animals are... a little more sinister in comparison.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
ep12 -
It's funny if you consider things from spoiler[Cerebrum's perspective and the story essentially becomes about a mysterious organization trying to cockblock him.]

sort of makes you wonder if all this would have been avoided if they had just handed the girl over to him
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
sort of makes you wonder if all this would have been avoided if they had just handed the girl over to him

Well of course they're not gonna let spoiler[some guy whose age we aren't even sure of bang some girl who I swear to God is underage. That's statutory rape, Christ's sake!]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
*dramatic voice* But... but it would've saved so many lives if they just let him spoiler[pork the loli]!

Seriously though this is hardly the place for such a debate and nothing progressive could come from it.

For those of you with Pixiv access you can find a guy who put up a pixel art icon for Luna and the rest seem to be coming later. I love stuff like that because they also work as perler templates, Armored Core emblems, etc.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Cereberums secret plan was to turn Akari into Tomoki from Watamote what a bastard,"Look at that light...! it's...!" god damned Starlight Breaker is what it's called, joking aside]
And the final episode delivers as planned, anyone that enjoyed it so far will find this to be the super epic climax they were wanting, but if you were on the other side of the fence as I have described it spoiler[this episode will just annoy you because once again Day Break runs through almost every final episode cliché for a modern magical girl show one could think of]

I have said it several times before, the makers of this series understand the rules and trends in modern magical girl animes very well, the problem is that DB was going through the motions and the interaction for most of the time felt like it didn't have the "soul" that you would find ever so presently in most other series of similar nature.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
A good finale, though I really couldn't follow spoiler[Ginka's bullshit excuse for being alive. So what the hell was up with the counterparts anyway].

Overall, I actually found myself getting somewhat emotionally invested in this, and I was actually interested in what was going to happen next. Still, there were quite a few noticeable holes in the writing, including some rather insultingly dropped plot threads, so I can't really rank it higher than decent. I know I ranked Dog & Scissors higher despite a lack of real ending, but this one spoiler[does leave a little wiggle room for more episodes], and I'll admit I've always been more into comedy than action, despite the constantly jackhammered bias against anime like that across the fandom. But I digress.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
BOOYA! That was pretty much exactly the ending I was expecting to see from this show and I can never complain when it's delivering exactly what I want. Though I second people's thoughs on spoiler[Ginka's bullshit excuse].

Superbly epic, room for expansion, one of the best OSTs ever, absolutely gorgous attacks and backgrounds and the actual animation only dropped a few times. I was very happy with this show and am fully willing to throw a pizza face-down on the floor to get the blu-rays when they come out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Yes! I loved the episode, for me it was a great ending. I got rather emotional with the spoiler[talks between Akari and Fuyuna], I thought that it was beautiful. I felt all the emotions this time around as they stood up against the darkness. Also the action was pretty kickass too, all the characters had cool bits, especially look at the use of spoiler[Judgement and The World].

Also, if any of you noticed, it looks very probable that Ispoiler[ was actually right that Cereberum was in fact Akari's father, but it seemed that he did not realize it]. Although I started to spoiler[doubt it earlier], there were hints that spoiler[he knew something about the Sun user, and we got flashes of Akari's mother. It might have looked like it was just like her backing Akari up, but some of them did not quite fit something for her, and I the end her mother was not only with Akari, but with Cereberum too]. It is rather sad that spoiler[Akari would end up killing her father], I wonder if she realized.

As for the Ginka thing, I think the series had trouble communicating what it wanted to say. When the two sides of Ginka met each other they were pushed somewhere deep into the multiple worlds thing where they continued to fight, a battle for light and dark. Now they were lead to believe that destroying the other card would destroy both, but spoiler[Ginka said it was actually some kind of unification. By the rules of their universe light and dark could not overpower each other as they are balanced, but Akari is a fusion of light and dark and was able to tip the scale. Ginka was able to fuse with the dark side]. If we go by that logic, it may seem that the spoiler[Lovers is fighting her dark side, and it may take Akari to release her, they are going to the other branches] so it may be possible.

I rate the series Excellent, the series may have been flawed, but these sort of series are the reason I watch anime. Madoka might have been able to break through the niche and get many fans outside of it, but as a fan in general of adult orientated magical girl anime, this was a good job. I would like to see some of the issues ironed out, then it would have been a masterpiece in my eyes.

I feel like comparing this show with Black Rock Shooter, and the more I think about that the more I like this series and plan to watch it again in the future. I did not even mention the music yet, well I loved the music, the OP I though was fabulous for getting me in the mood, and the ED had a somewhat soothing melodramatic feel (in a good way). You might almost complain that the background music was too blockbuster that it could come off as unfitting for an anime like this. It was pretty amazing! Amazing! (imagine said by the twins that many found annoying)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
On the good side the final battle had some neat choreography -I'm glad they spoiler[brought back the Fool and the Magician, they have the coolest attacks and outfits]- and baddass attacks, and I was relatively pleased with the closure they gave to spoiler[Fuyuna in spite of nothing ever making up for the stupid "I'm so jealous of my [expletive] orphan cousin because I can't stand her being popular at school"]

The rest was just predictable bullshit and lots of stuff thad didn't make any sense at all. spoiler[Ginka was revived by the power of love and friendship and Cerebrum was defeated by Akari's "I'm never giving up!!!" pep talk.] This show is so original and edgy it cuts. Rolling Eyes The scene of spoiler[Cerebrum "trying to manipulate" the girls one last time was so cliched and horribly executed I was almost laughing at it.] If they were gonnaspoiler[ keep Ginka alive, I would've liked to see her reunite with her father. It would've given weight to her return and probably make me remotely emotionally invested in that shitty plot twist]

So to sum it up the conclusion of the 13 episodes is spoiler[ we have achieved absolutely nothing -we have no clue as to how to save the Daemonia, no clue about the suspicious master organization that is conveniently suspicious for no purpose other than being suspicious, whatever the counterparts were we don't know or how to fight them, Cerebrum's apparent plots with the government had absolutely no meaning at all-] but we're gonna keep trying our best yay!

Also,spoiler[ Akari is supposedly super special and the chosen one by Cerebrum to mate with and become the avatar (whatever that meant) because she's half Daemonia -regardless of the very stupid excuse they gave for that-, but in the end Cerebrum says "Oh, I'll just find another Avatar and kill you mwahaha". So she wasn't really special at all and she was just a convenient passersby? M'kay, gotcha. ]

This show just kept adding more and more layers to an overly complicated plot that they would never be able to resolve. They should have just sticked with the original "Savior or Executor" (someone phrased it like this earlier and I think it's a very good way to express what this show seemed to be trying to do) instead of adding this messy Conscious Daemonia that did nothing for the dilemma or the "saving" and whose actions made no freaking sense at all. As cliched and boring as the original idea was, it managed to deliver some decent stuff. I really thought the show was headed in a less mediocre direction after Akari chastised Seira for hesitating when she heard the Daemonia's voice. But then they just forgot about it and added more and more and more stuff. Overall "frustration" is the word that better describes my experience with this show. Rated it Weak
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
To bring up the soundtrack again, music should enhance the mood not be the "spotlight stealer", some of you certainly disagree but compare the similar scenes to the say the Saber vs Illya scene, the music doesn't try to overtake the action on screen but in DB more than a few scenes it feels that the music wants you to listen to your audio and overlook the scene, even if that scene in DB is a decent action (or drama) sequence in of itself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
@ CrowLia

I think that I am seeing exactly how we diverge when we compare our different opinions of Day Break Illusion and Free. Rolling our eyes at one and being very fond of the other. I am sure I created some annoyance when I made huge complaints about Rin spoiler[throwing a tantrum and getting what he wanted after being a jerk]. I should take it in stride from people saying that the end here did not make sense and saying that it was stupid what happened.

Ginka spoiler[was brought back by Akari tipping the scale of light and dark]. Cereberum spoiler[tried to weaken them by putting them into dispair, but they had grown and accepted parts of themselves and others]. He was trying to spoiler[create a light and dark mix that was more over the dark side, her child being the monster she would create, but she showed to be too positive in the end to let that happen].

Enough was resolved for a season, it does not mean that we needed all the answers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote
I rated this show Good. It never blew me away or anything but I found it dependably entertaining. I liked the gals and invested in their BFF-ness.

Not sure if I'll eventually buy this or not. Having just watched it, the desire is low, but one never knows how one will feel years from now, does one?
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
I never really felt the BGM was overtaking the scenes but I did really grow to dislike the oooooooAAAAAAAAAAAAA choir clip that played in times like at the very start of this ep when Cerebrum grins. It added to the unease when they used it before but they grew over-fond of it.

A comparison to the BRS TV series is pretty appropriate IMO. I freakin loved that thing too, for the record. And that's despite me being vehemently against the school setting at first. I wanted a short no-dialogue series set entirely in the otherworld but despite a rocky first half it turned out to be one of my favourite shows when the plot became more clear. Similarly to this, I really felt the characters.

To those who watched the entire show despite not liking it, thanks. Here's hoping for an s2
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
I am going to be rating this show as excellent. I think a lot of the complaints about the ending are just serving as people's attempt to rationalize the gripes that they've always had about the show, but I think those complaints fall flat, particularly the ones that seem to project incorrect information about what was going on.

For example, once again we've seen more than one person claim that the show was "predictable." I find this critique to be so ridiculous that it is just laughable. It goes completely against the reality of what we have been seeing, and it is just people's attempt to project something onto the show in order to justify their dislike of it. Very little about that ending was predictable, other than the fact that the good guys would win.

First of all, in most magical girl shows, the main heroine's escape from the evil guy would have come about due to her own special powers activating in some way and simply overpowering the evil guy. Either that, or the power of her love/friendship with her gal pals would have similarly activated and given them the power to defeat the evil guy. THAT would have been predictable. However, none of that happened here. Akari escaped only because spoiler[her mentors back in the real world were able to temporarily unseal their powers using the key which had been given to them by the Leguizario a few episodes prior.] Without that, Akari would have been dead. Period. No special power of hers was going to save her. Her friends had attacked the container holding her with all their power, and failed. She was dead spoiler[if her mentors hadn't used their unsealed power, with the blessing of the Leguizario organization, to save her.] spoiler[Why did the secret organization which, until now, seemed to be ambiguous about whether they were good or evil, decide to save Akari's life?] We don't know yet, but it is likely a set up for a second season or continuation in some other media. I find that intriguing and I want to know the answer. That is an example of a twist that was executed well and I don't think anyone predicted exactly what that key was for until they actually used it.

Moving on to the next thing, the final showdown with Cerebrum. Again, this was not a predictable showdown in a magical girl show. In most shows, the girls would have united together to create some kind of super attack. Either that, or the main girl would be granted some kind of special power to obliterate the enemy. That didn't happen. Instead, the girls all struggled to fight against Cerebrum with whatever individual powers they had at their disposal. At times, they seemed to be winning, and at times, they seemed to be losing. Once they figured out the enemy's weak spot, they called it out to Akari and she went in for the kill. That is just battle tactics, and was completely different than the usual "combine our powers together and just shoot some hyper beam at the enemy, blowing them away." I don't see what exactly the critics wanted to happen here? They executed a fantastical battle scene where each of the good guys used their individual skills to help defeat the boss, and the final blow was delivered by the heroine. The animators even went out of their way to show the girls using powers that we had never seen them use before. (Aside from each of the other girls using some pretty cool attacks, I thought it was particularly awesome when Akari was trying to finish him off and her hair -something that was joked about earlier in the show - seems to come alive and pulls open Cerebrum's shield so that her sword can pierce through. That was great.) What exactly were you looking for here? This is just another example of people complaining because they want to, not because there is actually anything to complain about. There is no way that that battle could have gone down which would satisfy these people.

Once Akari was inside Cerebrum's shield and getting ready to attack his card, the spoiler[appearance of her mother was something that I wasn't expecting. The predictable thing would have been for her mother to appear beforehand and help her in some way - give her some kind of extra power boost to help her defeat the evil guy. Instead, her mother doesn't give her anything. She just appears as a kind of ghost while Akari is delivering the final blow.] Given that Akari is able to speak to Daemonia, this caused me to wonder for a moment spoiler[if Cerebrum came from her mother in some way.] We've never seen spoiler[her mother appear like that at any time prior in the anime, so her mother very likely has something to do with Cerebrum.] It is a mystery that was just hinted at due to our knowledge of Akari's ability and the fact that Akari is half daemonia, but it wasn't served up in any kind of predictable way. Again, it is a mystery that I am curious about and the show did a good job of teasing me with it and making me wonder about the possibilities.

Regarding Akari's final few scenes with Fuyuna. That was NOT predictable. In my opinion, it was executed flawlessly in keeping with the overall direction of this show. That direction has been set up with each of the encounters Akari had with people who had been turned into Daemonia who she COULD NOT save, but she could hear their voices. In a normal magical girl show, she would have figured out some way to save those other people. spoiler[Or at a minimum, she would have activated her super ability by the end and managed to save Fuyuna. That didn't happen here.] In fact, much of Akari's character arc has been about her realizing that she can't save people through her own force of will. spoiler[That was the whole message of Fuyuna's death in fact.] Fuyuna's hatred of Akari came about not simply due to jealousy or popularity as CrowLia seems to believe. That is not what she said. She hated Akari because spoiler[Akari was constantly inserting herself into other people's affairs. Akari was vain and believed she could fix everyone else's problems. She tried to control people through her intervention.] That was Fuyuna's criticism of Akari. Ultimately, that was also the whole purpose of Cerebrum's plan to make Akari submit to him. The reason he was forcing her to kill Fuyuna again and again was because spoiler[she thought she could "fix" Fuyuna, but he was proving to her that she would fail each and every time.] His plan was that once she realized that, she would fall into despair and be his.

However, she surprised him by coming to that realization on her own while having a heart to heart conversation with Fuyuna on the last cycle. Instead of trying to fix Fuyuna that time,spoiler[ she simply told her the truth about her own resentment of Fuyuna, and heard the truth back. She was able to gain peace and closure through realizing that neither she nor Fuyuna were perfect, that they both were flawed and that she could do nothing to fix her cousin. Then, she was able to kill Fuyuna for the last time with sadness for her loss but clarity of mind and understanding of her duty to put Fuyuna to rest.] This was a fantastically done, emotional scene. Again, a predictable show would not have let the heroine fail to save someone. A predictable show would not have let the heroine kill a victim right at the end. However, Daybreak Illusion is not a predictable show. It wanted us to think, and feel, in addition to being entertained. It accomplished both of those things with that scene between Akari and Fuyuna.

I do think that the only real issue with the ending of the show is Ginka's return and the fact that it wasn't explained very well. The fact that she came back was positive for me because I like her character. However, they didn't put enough effort into allowing us to understand exactly why she didn't die and how Akari was able to bring her back. I think there are a few possible explanations that they could have given us (perhaps the purpose of the counterpart cards wasn't to kill them but to make them stronger, or maybe she merged with her counterpart card - just as the card seemed to want - and she is a different type of being now). This part could have been done better, but since they did attempt to give some brief explanation I am willing to wait and see if this gets explained in another season. It is not a huge issue for me right now.

To sum up, I think Daybreak Illusion ended in the best way to give meaning to what the girls had been going through throughout the season. CrowLia complains that they never learned how to save people so it was "all for naught." However, that is totally overlooking the purpose of this show, and is completely hypocritical since CrowLia seems to simultaneously claim that the show was predictable. No, the predictable thing would have been them getting a special power to save people. Instead, this show set us up from the outset with a story where the emphasis was never on saving people, but instead on these girls coming to grips with their own foibles, gaining power through understanding themselves, and ultimately being ready and able to sacrifice emotionally in the line of duty.

Ginka realized that her purpose was to be the backbone of the team, and that her balanced persona made her the strongest among them. Seira realized that despite her physical strength, her failure to accept other people's weaknesses made her weak as well. Once she was able to overcome that, she knew that loving another person meant accepting, and even embracing every part of them including their weaknesses. Luna was able to cast aside her passive aggressive vanity and jealousy. She came to terms with her own darkness and figured out how to overcome it in order to become stronger and fight alongside her friends. And of course, Akari realized that she cannot save everyone and fix everyone around her. Instead of inserting herself like that, she was able to just listen and understand, connecting with them emotionally rather than trying to "save them." (Which is something that Cerebrum claimed humans were incapable of doing.)

At the end of the day, despite all of the claims of predictability from some quarters, Daybreak Illusion was not about these girls saving the victims who had become Daemonia, but instead it was about them saving themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15