• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - The Perfect Man(?)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
On Light being gay, his creator (Ohba) stated "He's likely not capable of loving a woman.".

Not to butt in on your conversation, but Ohba probably just meant that in the sense that Light is not capable of loving, period.

rest of quote
"This is probably because he looks down on everyone. He does possess love for his family and for humanity as a whole, however"
However, we saw he was willing to sacrifice family. Maybe it's due to the DN that Light is sort of arrested development emotionally. Yeah, there's Romeo & Juliet, but really, love is something that grows. Many people have commented love they felt in their youth may be passionate, whatever, but lacks the depth the person later learns about love. Light's love is a selfish thing--yes he loves his family, but he still looks out for #1. His needs come before his family's as opposed to an ability to put the needs of his loved one ahead of his own.
He did move swiftly into considering himself a god. Gods have no need for family. Looking at the temper tantrums, etc, isn't it pretty obvious he was about 10 yrs old in some of his emotional attitudes?

Quote:
Kamina is bold, an excellent friend, and dynamic. He's also close-minded, rude, and selfish--and his behavior towards women is sometimes on the far end of the disgusting side.

As I said--he's like your significant other's school buddy. He's a great friend, will go all out, but that doesn't mean their night out together won't end with you getting a call from the city jail because they were having a little too much fun.

Really, bishonen are just eye candy. I don't know any but the most delusional who think they're going to marry this or that movie star & this goes for the fictional bishonen also. They're like a poster one can put on one's wall, but any gal actually looking for one as the image of a "pm" is highly delusional & needs counseling.
I mean, I always liked Han Solo, but that was compared to Luke (boy vs Han's being a man & Luke was whiny), however, Han as a husband is a scary idea. He's not really a 9-5 sort of guy, though he's not quite as bad as Goku never working. I sure as hell wouldn't ask him to fix anything around the house (probably blast it). He'd probably be good with kids, but he seems the type who'd get antsy hanging out around the house so he's very much hot in that situation.
Jack Sparrow's fun, but you know he's gone in the morning.
In fact, a lot of these characters go thru so many g/f's in the course of a movie series, they really fail as Perfect Man material. We saw Indy didn't exactly hang in there & I was always disturbed by that romance with the gal in the 2nd movie. Most are just the stuff of fan service--drool over in the movie & move on.

Quote:
I couldn't date someone from a harem anime because a guy from a harem anime is indecisive by nature!

The guys aren't indecisive, it's the heroine. I respect Saiunkoku that all the guys aren't chasing the heroine. I do find it sliughtly nauseating all 5/8/12 guys in the harem are drooling after the heroine, particularly when she's a dolt like Miaka. Yes, the heroine is supposed to be someone the fans can relate to, but having these almost perfect guys fall all over her makes them seem defective (no taste)
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
That's why I love Ouran so much. Plenty of Bishie but they aren't all over Haruhi who is a pretty strong girl anyway. We pretty much know from chapter 1 or episode 1 that it's going to be Haruhi and Tamaki in the end. The manga isn't even finished yet and no one has any doubts about that.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
To stay with the original topic a bit, I personally find it rather mystifying why so many women seem attracted to the pretty-boy "bishie" stereotype, since it's just about the exact opposite of the archetype that I strive for as a male.

I'm using your post as a springboard to talk about something that really, really bothers me, but I don't mean it as a personal attack on you, since I know this comment was probably made in good faith.

Having said that, one of the most frustrating things about interacting in fandom is the idea a lot of men have about "why don't you like my type of guy?" Kamina has been thrown around this thread a lot, and I can unequivocally say that I would never ever date a guy like him, despite his interesting depth of character and good qualities. (I love Kamina as a character) Kamina is bold, an excellent friend, and dynamic. He's also close-minded, rude, and selfish--and his behavior towards women is sometimes on the far end of the disgusting side.

But you get that sort of thing a lot. That whole handed dismissal of "bishounen" as being proof that all women are lesbians, or they have terrible taste in guys. When I look at a "bishounen", unless he is supposed to be a crossdresser, I see a man. It doesn't matter to me if he has long hair, or is somewhat slender--after all, I'm still a woman if I have a shaved head and any body shape imaginable. But somehow, it always ends up that my eyes are "wrong", and the male perspective is inevitably the right one. Even other girls will talk disparagingly about another girl's taste, as though that gives them extra bonus points in the boys' treehouse.

This bothers me even though my own taste doesn't even run towards bishounen. I'm more interested in dissecting characterization than making a harem, but on my very short "would date if real" list (him, him, him, and him), I think most fall under "acceptable" standards of masculinity. That doesn't make my taste better than a girl's list who would be filled with CLAMP characters or any other shoujo series, though.

These are really great points, and I do realize that what I said might come across as being a comment like that. I don't really think that's what I was going for, though. It's more that I would like to strive to be a particular sort of person, one that I at least hope would come across as attractive and appealing, so when I see praise expressed for another sort of person that's rather far removed from my own aim, I kind of have trouble understanding that particular perspective. I'm essentially relationship-illiterate as-is, so most things that would come out of my mouth are of little use to this whole topic anyway. Razz

(Big props for getting Tenma in there, though. Smile)
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
(Big props for getting Tenma in there, though. Smile)

Took the words right out of my mouth. Very Happy
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
That's why I love Ouran so much. Plenty of Bishie but they aren't all over Haruhi who is a pretty strong girl anyway. We pretty much know from chapter 1 or episode 1 that it's going to be Haruhi and Tamaki in the end. The manga isn't even finished yet and no one has any doubts about that.

Well, yeah, because Tamaki presents as the idiot, but he put together the club asking a bunch of guys who really needed the club to overcome things, but he's not really satisfying his own needs. While he calls himself the daddy, he's really more like the mom taking care of everyone except himself so even though someone's going to get hurt (actually, I could see more than 1 guy hurt considering Haruhi's personality-just wanting to be friends), I'm going to be pissed if Tamaki doesn't land Haruhi.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Nothing is more cruel than a child's mind, for they don't know the difference between good and evil.

Ooh wow, that is so DEEP!

Can I call you DomFortuneCookie?

- abunai
I take it you've never had anything to do with actual 3D children?
Who says an adult can't behave like a child. And by providing us with your skeptical and superficial mannerisms regarding my person, I've just proved my point.

Perhaps you should take some kids classes at your local church, and see for yourself just like I did, how a whining and complaining adult is like a child with a temper tantrum.

CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
A child's mind isn't fully developed when they're born. In fact, medical science had proven that the human's brain development starts from the reptilian brain, which allows us to behave on pure animal instincts that will ensure the survival of our species. It's what triggers our sexual behaviors, defends ourselves via fight or flight, and installs our will to power for might is/makes right.

The point was CHILDREN
I didn't say INFANTS.
LeVey who wrote the Satanic Bible. LeVey who allegedly cast the curse that decapitated Jane Mansfield. His opinion is until a child is taught polite society laws it is closer to his vision of what Satan is & thus a true Satanist would never sacrifice a child because they would be sacrificing Satan.
Go read the Satanic Bible yourself if you don't believe me. It was only to debate the comment children are cruel. They aren't. They're just selfish. One of the things they are taught is to start thinking of others & not themselves all the time

Quote:
So good luck trying to reason with an infant, when they're crying at the top of their lungs based on survival instincts, not thinking.

Again, I said CHILD
Not INFANT.
And actually, one of the things that drove my mother-in-law crazy was "You talk to her like she's a teen. She's only 5" I ALWAYS explained everything to my daughter so she would understand why I wanted her to do things. She always had a huge vocabulary & has always excelled in English.

Quote:
I respect Spike from Cowboy Bebop because you can see throughout the series that what he respects the most is the natural orders of things.

I didn't get that.
I mean he was yakuza, ran & spent much of his life basically in hiding from his past. He did step up when he finally needed to finish things with Vicious, but the fact is, he could have hunted Vicious down & confronted him earler. He only did so when the situation called for it. Had the situation remained as it had, there is a good chance Spike would never have returned to confront Vicious.
In that respect, Spike falls into the "Reluctant Hero" category of bishonen.
"The Reluctant Hero never wanted responsibility, but takes it on because he must. Often, he is a decent person who just does what's right, or a rogue in denial of his better side. Possibly this guy needs to be coaxed into action, or a drastic event (such as danger befalling a loved one) will bring out his good side, changing his character completely. "

Quote:
People often aren't on the same trans of thoughts because we have 3 brain structures, and each behaves differently as we act according to which part of the brain that's engaging at the moment. And to top it off, the thinking process is the behaviorism of our neocortex, which also houses our courage, morality, civility, communications and complex movements.

I'm a Gemini from SoCal.
We're confusing creatures.
Try not to be so obsessed with my use of the words "children" and "infants", or else you won't see the obvious; that as adults, we all were once childish and infantile when we didn't know better. And we're still capable of reverting to that stage whenever we don't possess the knowledge of our situation.

A good leader leads by example, so it's not surprising that a reluctant hero type like Simon can be a great leader just like Kamina. For they both inspire people with their actions. Also, those who respect the natural order of things won't act unless it's absolutely necessary. That's why both Spike from Cowboy Bebop and John from Die Hard as the reluctant heroes, only did what they did because they're the only ones who can do it, despise which side of the law that they're on.

I'm a Capricorn, and it works to my advantage when I sat my goal to overcome myself not through personal conquests, but by surpassing myself.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

Perhaps you should take some kids classes at your local church, and see for yourself just like I did, how a whining and complaining adult is like a child with a temper tantrum.

It's hardly necessary to look further than your posts. If you were even a fraction as wise and intelligent and all-around great as you would have us believe, you might be a damn sight less obnoxious.

As it is, go for a walk. A long one. And when you get back, decide whether you want to go on posting here. If you do, then you had better get your act together. So far, you are failing every requirement.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

It's hardly necessary to look further than your posts. If you were even a fraction as wise and intelligent and all-around great as you would have us believe, you might be a damn sight less obnoxious.

As it is, go for a walk. A long one. And when you get back, decide whether you want to go on posting here. If you do, then you had better get your act together. So far, you are failing every requirement.

- abunai
If that was true, I would be the one who ended up with a God complex. And I will then proceed to tell the whole world to just "take a number".

Also, I'm not the one that would walkout on anything. I train physically to the point of failure, so I can come back relaxed yet strong.

And finally, don't be so rash on passing judgment on someone you hardly knew anything about. Unless of course that's how you proceed to pass judgment on everything, including yourself.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
abunai wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

- abunai
If that was true, I would be the one who ended up with a God complex. And I will then proceed to tell the whole world to just "take a number".

Also, I'm not the one that would walkout on anything. I train physically to the point of failure, so I can come back relaxed yet strong.

And finally, don't be so rash on passing judgment on someone you hardly knew anything about. Unless of course that's how you proceed to pass judgment on everything, including yourself.

I can't believe this hasn't ended...

Dom, my problem is that you seem to devolve all your theories out of books and your room, or apartment as it may be. You say to go out and find children to observe, and that they are somehow feral demons who must be pounded and sculpted into acceptable citizens. As a father of two, and having worked very hard at treating them as simply bodily-immature adults, your observation is entirely flawed.

Children aren't even self-centered beyond communicating their physical needs. Not having language leaves them no choice but to cry to let you know they need something. But they more often smile and laugh when treated properly. Their primary motivation is discovery, first how to get control of their appendages, but also to classify their external inputs.

Their primary method of social development at early ages is mimicry of others, which requires them to observe, just like adults do (or don't). In a calm but engaging, supportive environment, an infant is seen to be observing their environment with all the capability and attention span of a normal adult. Even the "terrible two's" and other such labels based on limited observation in improper environments, is a falsehood. I've seen plenty of completely well-behaved infants. Besides adult behavior towards and around them, other factors can cause upset. Diet, for instance. Sugar is a big contributor, but I've seen a terrible two be completely cured by supplementing their diet with B1.

Every child is born with the full faculties of reason--it isn't created by some chemical reaction that magically occurs at age 6. Or is it 8, or 4, or... What's necessary is to acknowledge and respect that capability in a child, and assist them as quickly and as best as possible to gain the data and motor skills they need in order to analyze, understand and gain control in their environment.

If everyone over the age of 1 somehow died, the human race would end there. Most animals require a period of parenting to survive, but none more than a human baby, precisely because any animal instincts they have are virtually non-existent compared to their power of reason. If what you said was true, you could just leave some food and water in a dish by the blanket, and not have to worry.

I would like to hear how your theories encompass Mozart, for instance, who began playing competent piano at age 4, and composing at age 5.

See, I just love these "everybody knows" pronouncements that conveniently ignore the exceptions to their pet theories.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
abunai wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

- abunai

I can't believe this hasn't ended...

Dom, my problem is that you seem to devolve all your theories out of books and your room, or apartment as it may be. You say to go out and find children to observe, and that they are somehow feral demons who must be pounded and sculpted into acceptable citizens. As a father of two, and having worked very hard at treating them as simply bodily-immature adults, your observation is entirely flawed.

Children aren't even self-centered beyond communicating their physical needs. Not having language leaves them no choice but to cry to let you know they need something. But they more often smile and laugh when treated properly. Their primary motivation is discovery, first how to get control of their appendages, but also to classify their external inputs.

Their primary method of social development at early ages is mimicry of others, which requires them to observe, just like adults do (or don't). In a calm but engaging, supportive environment, an infant is seen to be observing their environment with all the capability and attention span of a normal adult. Even the "terrible two's" and other such labels based on limited observation in improper environments, is a falsehood. I've seen plenty of completely well-behaved infants. Besides adult behavior towards and around them, other factors can cause upset. Diet, for instance. Sugar is a big contributor, but I've seen a terrible two be completely cured by supplementing their diet with B1.

Every child is born with the full faculties of reason--it isn't created by some chemical reaction that magically occurs at age 6. Or is it 8, or 4, or... What's necessary is to acknowledge and respect that capability in a child, and assist them as quickly and as best as possible to gain the data and motor skills they need in order to analyze, understand and gain control in their environment.

If everyone over the age of 1 somehow died, the human race would end there. Most animals require a period of parenting to survive, but none more than a human baby, precisely because any animal instincts they have are virtually non-existent compared to their power of reason. If what you said was true, you could just leave some food and water in a dish by the blanket, and not have to worry.

I would like to hear how your theories encompass Mozart, for instance, who began playing competent piano at age 4, and composing at age 5.

See, I just love these "everybody knows" pronouncements that conveniently ignore the exceptions to their pet theories.
And what led you to believe that I've said all that I know about children and infants? Just because I said that infants, children, and to some extend even adults are capable of temper tantrum, I never once claimed that's all they're capable of.

Now are you ready to rephrase that which you've just said, or you're set to disagree on something that was not even there to begin with?

Last edited by DomFortress on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

It is hardly "rash" to pass judgement on you based on your behaviour in the forum, since that (as you seem to have forgotten) is my function here. Like it or not, you are judged on your conduct here, not on the basis of whatever imaginary merit you may conceive yourself to have accrued in other areas.

You have been given ample opportunity to engage in constructive debate, but your only contribution has been self-aggrandizement and condescension towards the other posters.

Frankly, I'm running out of the patience required to give you further chances to correct your behaviour -- and I suspect that benching you would result in a loud sigh of relief from all corners of the forum.

Be advised that you are at the end of your rope.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Can we agree that while no children aren't totally evil they aren't rays of sunshine either. As well I can recount tales of both benevolence and cruelty from my own child hood that can pretty much nix the statement "Children are inherently good."

As to faculties and reasoning? From a standpoint they have to be an adult to make any major decision, just because you think they are reasonable or responsible doesn't mean they can get a cell phone contract or buy a car or so on. Children just don't understand exactly what is going on in those type of situations. Now if you trust them to look after the house by themselves, well that is partly the parent's decision and the age of the children in question (Like I imagine there would be trouble leaving a 4 year old by themselves.)

I'm also willing to say that every child has the capability of learning, but full reasoning kinda does come with age. (Imagine trying to understand "heavy" concepts like faith, politics, right and wrong, so on)

Back on topic-

I've never really gotten a crush on any animated character... so the concept of going "crazy, head-over-heels" is a foreign concept to me. I mean sure I like certain female characters, but not to the point of well loving them. Kinda like me with slice of life shows, if I wanted it, I'd go out and interact/live my life (Why watch it when you can/have live(d) it?)
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

It is hardly "rash" to pass judgement on you based on your behaviour in the forum, since that (as you seem to have forgotten) is my function here. Like it or not, you are judged on your conduct here, not on the basis of whatever imaginary merit you may conceive yourself to have accrued in other areas.

You have been given ample opportunity to engage in constructive debate, but your only contribution has been self-aggrandizement and condescension towards the other posters.

Frankly, I'm running out of the patience required to give you further chances to correct your behaviour -- and I suspect that benching you would result in a loud sigh of relief from all corners of the forum.

Be advised that you are at the end of your rope.

- abunai
So it's your function to pass judgment on all ANN internet forum members, an anonymous group of individuals within a virtual community, based on their conducts, not their persons. Well then by all means, let us all hear your judgment on this anonymous individual's conduct on my statement, and see if your action has any true merit in a virtual world of imaginary concepts.

Here's another piece of fact to consider, I'm an ANN subscriber. So while I'm being different than the rest of the community, as an ANN official, you are all too eager to take me out despise my contribution. All because I was not being wrong, but being different.

Is this how you'll conduct business with me in the real world, in person, in real time, right in front of my face? If that's true, then go ahead and show your respect. I can tolerate that.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Can we agree that while no children aren't totally evil they aren't rays of sunshine either.

No, we won't. Other than very rare exceptions, which are way further off-topic than even this post, their behavior is a reflection of your own and of how they are treated and educated, incorporated into their own native personality.

LordRedhand wrote:
As well I can recount tales of both benevolence and cruelty from my own child hood that can pretty much nix the statement "Children are inherently good."

And in that viewpoint lies the problem with treatment of not only children, but adults. The Western culture, BTW, is one of the few that assumes original sin and evil-by-nature. If parents provide a positive, ethical example and educate their children into such, it is the rare child who acts in a criminal manner. I don't count normal experimentation, where the child has not been instructed and attempts some action that is negative from an intention to discover more about their environment and others. BTW, I'm not trying to oversimplify this... raising children who act independently in a positive, ethical manner is pretty hard work when done right, assuming you even start with the assumption that they are in no way "evil".

LordRedhand wrote:
As to faculties and reasoning? From a standpoint they have to be an adult to make any major decision, just because you think they are reasonable or responsible doesn't mean they can get a cell phone contract or buy a car or so on. Children just don't understand exactly what is going on in those type of situations. Now if you trust them to look after the house by themselves, well that is partly the parent's decision and the age of the children in question (Like I imagine there would be trouble leaving a 4 year old by themselves.)

The issue isn't the faculty of reasoning. The issue is the amount of data. There is no reason a 6 year old could not be taught to understand contracts and cell phones, though it would be an improper use of development time to educate them in the vocabulary and concepts, since they won't be signing contracts at that age. Conversely, the concept of agreements made/kept and basic economics are certainly valid.

LordRedhand wrote:
I'm also willing to say that every child has the capability of learning, but full reasoning kinda does come with age. (Imagine trying to understand "heavy" concepts like faith, politics, right and wrong, so on)

You are describing what someone could accomplish with reason, given sufficient data and some training in critical analysis (what I assume you mean by "full reasoning"). The subject that reason is applied to is not the function "reason". The capability of reason exists full-blown regardless of age. Formalized critical analysis is possible at far younger ages than the "experts" would have you believe. The best curriculum I've seen begins introducing the building blocks of it around age 10 or 11, having provided a basic foundation of vocabulary and sufficient subject data to begin analyzing at a simple level.

I've hijacked this thread enough. I already said my piece on bishies and Kamina way back, like a month ago I think. So, this will end this part of my program. Thanks for listening.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Here's another piece of fact to consider, I'm an ANN subscriber. So while I'm being different than the rest of the community, as an ANN official, you are all too eager to take me out despise my contribution. All because I was not being wrong, but being different.

Having a membership card of a swimming pool doesn't mean that you can pee in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18