• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guilty Crown (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusingVash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I dont think there will be any big explanations to it, to be honest.

It seems like they do not want to focus on to big background information. I mean honestly, if they wanted to, they could easily make multiple seasons with introducing lots of background information. I'd like to think that its a deliberate choice to have "open" gaps of information, kind of like books sometimes are written very vaguely with a very open ending.

Otherwise this show would be a plain fail, if they did not deliberately wanted to spare information.

spoiler[I guess it will be enough for us to know that Da'ath is a secret old ancient organization that simply has the goal to help humankind on its "next step in evolution". Very Happy]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
MusingVash wrote:
Otherwise this show would be a plain fail, if they did not deliberately wanted to spare information.

I think that's pretty much how a few of us are feeling at this point.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, on the dissolving issue I think spoiler[Mana"dissolved" originally whenever the Lost Christmas event occurred, so it's not exactly like they haven't had this regeneration aspect occur in the past. Gai didn't so much kill her permanently at that point as prevent her from regenerating completely.

As for himself, I'm thinking his physical body is something similar to Inori.]

His objectives confuse me also. If there is anything that irritates me it's how Arisa is lately. So she hated Shu for turning bad but it's just fine when Gai is even worse? It seems like nonsense to me.

I really do love this show. I just don't like everywhere they are going with it. But I've found few shows I had zero qualms with, and that has almost nothing to do with my enjoyment of them.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
His objectives confuse me also. If there is anything that irritates me it's how Arisa is lately. So she hated Shu for turning bad but it's just fine when Gai is even worse? It seems like nonsense to me.
I think you may have missed the point where they made it clear that she wants Gai to "give her the Void," as it were.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused, or you are using a euphemism, in which case I guess that would explain everything... ugh.

If not, if you can be more specific on details (episode) I'd try to rewatch to pick it up, as this bothered my sister also.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sure, it's a euphemism. From the episode with the boat when they really introduce her and her void, it's pretty obvious where her interests lie, even without the ridiculously unsubtle symbolism.
MusingVash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
wow, I missed that, too. Surprised

Hm, well, I guess its totally understandable, that this show can be regarded as a fail.

Also thanks for pointing out the dissolving issue of a past episode - I guess it has to make sense now. Very Happy

Still love the show though, and I am waiting for the next (last?) one to see how they want to end this so fast and explain a few more things!
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
MusingVash wrote:
Hm, well, I guess its totally understandable, that this show can be regarded as a fail.

I was also kind of disappointed by how the story and events are handled. Love first few episodes and mid-episodes though.

But I"m still keeping up with the show because of Production I.G, the characters design and the fight scenes. Inori certainly is a PVC material.
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
pokefreaks wrote:
MusingVash wrote:

I was also kind of disappointed by how the story and events are handled. Love first few episodes and mid-episodes though.

But I"m still keeping up with the show because of Production I.G, the characters design and the fight scenes. Inori certainly is a PVC material.

by mid episodes is that the end of the first story arc or the beginning of the second arc? cause end of the first i get but this second arc has been pretty atrociously written, and it wasn't suprising when it got slated by [insert forgotten name here] since really it did deserve it, the first arc may not have been original but at least it was written well

also, isn't the fact it has great fights, designs, animation and music the only reasons anyones still watching this? other than maybe a sense of obligation since we're right at the end now but surely noones watching this out of an active interest in the story? even as someone who vigorously defended this show at the beginning i'm only watching out of obligation now
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
This ending absolutely killed the last shred of dignity--if there was one--GC had left. spoiler[If both Shu and Inori had died, and then they cut to black after the collapse scene and class president-san got absolutely riddled as opposed to a little graze on the waist, I would have considered saying "well, at least it ended strong." But no. Shu just had to end up some typical one-left-standing-after-love-dies-to-save-them...and become a foppish, sweater-sporting cyborg who pines away for his lost one--to boot. Oh yeah, and the sadistic guy who tries to 'slaughter' everyone? Yeah, you know he's really a nice guy deep down. That brand of crap makes me want to puke. "We'll have one order of Haro, but hold the 'kill-'em-all.'" Do I even need to mention how lame it is to reveal your series' main 'differentiating' gimmick is actually a copy of a pretty recent show of the same genre? Ahem. Eureka 7. Ahem. FAIL.]

Last edited by Svidrigailov on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
So... I guess tiny robots spoiler[procreate]?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm going to marathon the series this weekend. However, I recently read some comments regarding the final episode and many fans said that it was a rather "crappy" ending to a great series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
I think I've covered all I wanted to say about GC in previous posts. Svidrigailov is correct in that the idealistic ending was, for want of a better term, absolute crap. But I expected nothing less. I actually found myself zoning out at one point during this episode, something that's never happened to me before in all my years of watching anime. There was all kinds of stuff happening on the screen but I was so detached from it I just ended up staring at one corner of my monitor, not taking anything in. I went back to see what I'd missed, turns out I hadn't missed much at all.

Well, the whole thing looked and sounded pretty. Shame it was garbled, generic fluff.

Stark700 wrote:
However, I recently read some comments regarding the final episode and many fans said that it was a rather "crappy" ending to a great series.

They're half right.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if any of the following constitutes a spoiler, so I tagged it to be safe. Oh, if you're a fan of the series, you may not want to read it anyway. spoiler[I think I had actually repressed the fact that they gave natural selection a will. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Survival of the fittest? No, it's survival of whoever the hell miss my-hair-is-graduated-pink-that-must-consume-inordinate-amounts-of-time and-money chooses to be her Adam. Where have I heard that one before, Rei? Except Rei was actually an interesting character...and her hair was one shade of blue. Heaven forbid I reflect on this series any more.] Ok, I think I'm done venting.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The end of this series is a disaster:

spoiler[Gai explains that he wanted to save Mana, and the only way to save her was to fulfil her role, because otherwise she would be forever reanimated again and again.

Yet Shu stopped Mana from fulfilling her insane role of killing all the humanity, he saved everyone, decrystallized them So Gui achieved nothing, and Mana will be always reborn by that strange boy who was the driver of evolution, and the tragedies will repeat themselves.

Also, how killing the humanity was supposed to be an evolutionary step, by the way? And how is that they call crystals with frozen memories of people "evolution", if it is not even leaving substance by any means?]

Makes no sense on so many levels that I could not possibly describe all of them. Authors were either too stupid or too lazy to come up with something that would not make thoughtful viewers feeling awkward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20