• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
So we finally got to see spoiler[Maou vs Yuusha something like a fight.]
Didn't expect to see this at all judging by the way things were going.
I wasn't surprised how fast he got her to her senses..
In this anime humans were pretty much the only bad guys.
Humans were so difficult to deal with... so stubborn.
All in all this was a good anime which could've been better.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I was also left with a sense of incompleteness by the final episode. Definitely it tried to do too much and would have benefited from a couple more episodes and hopefully there will be either some OVAs or a sequel to flesh things out more and continue the storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drdr48

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I was also left with a sense of incompleteness by the final episode. Definitely it tried to do too much and would have benefited from a couple more episodes and hopefully there will be either some OVAs or a sequel to flesh things out more and continue the storyline.

Unfortunately the first volume only sold 2710 copies (http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2018992#post2018992) which means it's a flop and probably there won't be a second season to the show... Confused Crying or Very sad
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
Key wrote:

Unfortunately the first volume only sold 2710 copies (http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2018992#post2018992) which means it's a flop and probably there won't be a second season to the show... Confused Crying or Very sad

That really sucks. I was not a huge fan of this show but I loved what it was trying to do and how experimental the whole concept was, and it was at least trying to do something new for once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ep.12

spoiler[while blue hero trying wake up red queen at winter land mage give winter ruler a scroll with advice to cure from smallpox yet oh yikes big sis & little sis meet one-eye war guy.

blue hero give I Know You’re in There Somewhere speech give want red queen yep she wake up all good while one-eye going mad killing mood til close eye soldier to rescue even armed with metal wrist band to speak tackle one-eye to fall from high area.

female knight making lots of scatter the people to play numbers to battle plans & one-eye is splat with soldier close eyes is all fine.

meanwhile a meet going on reveal the an item a rifle where some higher power want these items & yet red queen meet the people give them speech cue dark knight but not amused.

so unleash big plasma ball to make a volcano cue people’s power yes chant with that plus merchant make trades deal with human & demons.

now time for hero, red queen, female knight, maid, & two sis have dinner some talk fun with hero got “sandwich” by red queen & female knight with red this is begin of new era.]
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
After watching the 12th episode, my views of the anime are mixed.

The problem with the anime it was too fast and adapted too many plots without anytime to properly explains things to the audience unlike the mangas and novels which did.

But still, i still enjoy the anime since i got to hear all my favorite characters from the series being voiced.

Here’s hoping when an another anime is made, they do it properly this time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

So much going on and barely any time to explain everything, which has left the series feel unsatisfactory, sad as it should have been so good. The Demon King is spoiler[brought back to her senses], mage brings spoiler[instructions for a smallpox cure], Demon King makes a spoiler[public demon appearance with the Hero as Black Knight going overboard, and calling for a council of the higher races]. Female Knight holds spoiler[skirmishes against enemy forces , it snows], the ex-student Soldier spoiler[saves the Maid sisters from one eyed guy]. We find out the church has spoiler[been working with the blue demons so that both have power], and they discovered a plot of spoiler[creating firearms].

Demon King is proud of her work, though it looks like it has just begun. A very cute ending that gives the feeling of a family. If only we could get some actual feeling of conclusion in the series. Overall I might rate it Very Good, that is largely focusing of the positives of the series, but this should have been better, probably if there was more time.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

I guess I am not that surprised. I certainly haven't been quiet about my issues with this show. I haven't watched for a good while now, which probably says something as well because fantasy shows are my weak spot. I will probably come back and watch it when I have a lot of free time, but probably more for academic purposes.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
yeah, definitely felt rushed and incomplete. However, I did enjoy the show quite bit and I hope someone, maybe Funi, will pick it up since I would like to own it. I'll give it a very good
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
My final reaction is that nagging frustration I feel when a story is made for me, but the presentation of that story isn't. The show felt very much like fanservice for fans of the franchise already. In much the same wayyou may fast-forward to your favorite bits in a movie you love, the show felt like it shifted between fast-forwarded plot advancement and a few key dramatic scenes, lovingly rendered. I'm sure fans were meant to enjoy seeing their favorite scenes come to life, but there wasn't much there for the rest of us.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The show felt very much like fanservice for fans of the franchise already... I'm sure fans were meant to enjoy seeing their favorite scenes come to life, but there wasn't much there for the rest of us.

This is actually something I hadn't really thought about before, surprisingly. (i.e. the show being fan-service for already existing fanbase rather than service for otaku audience in general) It may very well be a great point.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Everything was fine and dandy until the conclusion came down to "I love Hero because he is my owner" and a competition of boob squeezing. I was going to give it Very Good, but went down to Good and was very close to leaving it at Decent.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why the "my owner" comment is such a problem, CrowLia. Hero has repeatedly made it clear that the ownership thing was mutual between him and Demon Queen, so that can't (or at least shouldn't) be taken as a demeaning statement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
But I'd expect a liberal woman such as Maou to be adamant about it "I love Hero because I'm his and he is mine" she should've said. The fact the Knight completes this with "And I love him because he is the owner of my sword" is a complete turn-off.

I mean, if we're talking about relationships, I think nobody should expect to "own" anyone, but since that fight is long lost, I would expect a little more balance on who owns who. That the ending of the episode is "The Hero owns Maou and Knight and gets squished between their breasts, medetashi medetashi" essentially ruined most of my good impressions on the series
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hero makes the same kind of one-sided statements, though. And the mutual "own" thing is just their way of showing their devotion to each other and fully in line with the contract they made initially. And for Female Knight, the "he owns my sword" business is practically equivalent to saying "he owns my heart" in her case.

Now, you have more room to legitimately complain about the "squeezed between breasts" thing. Just want to make sure that you're only downgrading the series for the elements that actually deserved it. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18