• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Ranking of Kings looks like it's going to be a fun ride. Tried watching Restaurant to Another World but couldn't get into it.

This is the first season in ages where I'm watching more than 2 shows. Out of what I've watched so far, my favorites are The Vampire Dies in No Time, Faraway Paladin, and Ranking of Kings.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

On another note, I don't think I've ever met any disabled people who like to be called "differently abled".

I've met one or two, but it's definitely more "academic speak" than in regular usage. I hear it a lot in teacher training meetings, along with "learning differences" vs "learning disabilities."
Mimas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
Now that we're picking daily reviews, please for the love of God vote for Dragon Quest.

I don't even vote for anything else, so I won't water down the votes for it. There is so much interesting commentary that can be made on the show, and it is odd how ignored the show is by the general anime fandom. With all the complaints about other recent adaptions of classic Shonen manga like Hoshin Engi and Shamen King with Dai we have an adaption that is close to ideal. The original manga was so influential for modern day manga, but due to a lack of English translation it has been ignored by the American main stream for so long. Along with the new anime, we finally get an official English translation, and yet for reasons I don't quite understand it still stays a hidden gem.The original preview guide dismissed it as a children's show, though it is no more childish than Yuu Yuu Hakusho or Kenshin which were running along side it in Jump. Is it a dismissal of the show based on a general dislike of the Dragon Quest games? I really don't know.

It also doesn't help when the weekly streaming rankings don't include it, and the text surrounding that suggests that popularity is equivalent to the quality of the show. If no one even checks out an anime to begin with, not having it make it in a ranking guide is not a barometer of the show's quality.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Mimas wrote:
The original preview guide dismissed it as a children's show, though it is no more childish than Yuu Yuu Hakusho or Kenshin which were running along side it in Jump.

Although I certainly agree with this now, I can't blame anyone who only watched the first episode or two for expecting it to be targeted at a very young audience. It took a bit for it to show its true colors, in my opinion.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Penrhos wrote:

Takt Op. Destiny - borderline dropping this, style over substance, no surprise she was his sister.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that Cosette, Anna and Takt are siblings from. Cosette and Anna are sisters, Takt is their next door neighbor and is not related to the sisters.

That's what you get for watching a dodgy "fan-subbed" episode as "This content is not available in your region"....
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah dodgy fan-subs will do that sort of thing.

I'm not even really sure New Cosette is the same as Original Cosette- they act like completely different people to me, which might explain the semi-standoffish relationship between her and Takt in ep 1.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

On another note, I don't think I've ever met any disabled people who like to be called "differently abled".

I've met one or two, but it's definitely more "academic speak" than in regular usage. I hear it a lot in teacher training meetings, along with "learning differences" vs "learning disabilities."

While I understand why someone might want to try and be nice...To me (only speaking for myself) its always kinda come across as patronizing to me personally.
To me (only speaking for myself) it always comes across as one of those things non disabled people do to try and feel better about themselves rather then actually engaging with the person in question.

Learning differences vs disabilities I totally get that. there are many cases where language updates are a very good idea and necessary, I just personally get creeped out by some of them when they feel like they are being more duplicities in their meaning.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Komi Can't Communicate episode 1 is up on Netflix.

Mostly, I quite liked it. Some scenes did have some sensory overload, which I hadn't expected. Maybe because I read the first volume many months ago, and I'm just not remembering some things from Komi and Tadano's first meeting. I had expected it to be very quiet and mild, but I still enjoyed it.

The animation quality seemed to be very good. Looking forward to the reviews.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

Mostly, I quite liked it. Some scenes did have some sensory overload, which I hadn't expected....

Sensory overload from what? Komi's rapid fire writing on the chalkboard?

Two ads for the Komi Can't Communicate manga on top and one on each sidebar of the page as I am typing this. Maybe they are thinking that there would be a difficulty in communicating it was for sale with fewer ads? Wink
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

Mostly, I quite liked it. [ . . . ] The animation quality seemed to be very good. Looking forward to the reviews.

Me, too. That blackboard conversation is one of the sweetest things I’ve seen this year. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17