• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2015

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bibotot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
I decided to do some maths. I gave every show a score based on their position in the reviewer's Top 5. (1 point for #5, 2 points for #4...) Here are the results:

Score-Title of Anime(Number of lists it appeared on)

19-Blood Blockade Battlefront(5)
18-One-Punch Man(7)
18-Death Parade(6)
17-School-Live(4)
16-Yuri Kuma Arashi(4)
14-My Love Story(5)
09-Sound! Euphonium(3)
07-Maria the Virgin Witch(3)
06-MSG: Iron-Blooded Orphans(2)
05-
Gintama, My Teen Romantic SNAFU TOO(1)
04-DanMachi(2)
04-
Baby Steps, Snow White with the Red Hair(1)
03-
Gatchaman Crowds insight, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Ushio & Tora(1)
02-
Anthem of the Heart, Cute High Earth Defense Club Love, Owarimonogatari(1)
01-
Assassination Classroom, Haikyu, Noragami Aragoto, Prison School(1)

We can use that as Critic Score. Metacritic always has both Critic Score and User Score for all movies, TV series and video games.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
#TheFrozenSaint wrote:
Of course one punch man gets the number one spot, it's the most overhyped and overrated anime this year.

It's the most original. Most people are tired of "serious" shonen super hero kids (when in reality those shows are a joke and lack any seriousness whatsoever), slice of life dicking around with no plot, or random shows that are so full of cliche's that the whole plot is predictable.

OPM is a comedy that makes fun of typical anime stereotypes, not to mention the comedy is actually good, the action is epic, original plot that doesn't take itself too seriously, and good animation on top of all that. Of course it's the best show this year.

Don't worry, these types of shows are rare, next year we'll more than likely be back to the same crap as usual about a kid with no parents who gets superpowers, or another high school anime where they depict high school a thousand times more exciting than it actually is.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
OPM is a comedy that makes fun of typical anime stereotypes, not to mention the comedy is actually good, the action is epic, original plot that doesn't take itself too seriously, and good animation on top of all that. Of course it's the best show this year.

The elements you list are the recipe to create an anime that can be popular and potentially have mainstream appeal. That being said, popularity does not necessarily equate to being the best in terms of overall quality.

I am not trying to hate on One-Punch Man, but beyond its creative and jaw dropping visuals and its comedic aspects, this shows does not have much of an story and meaningful character development.

In my book an anime with average or mediocre marks on story/plot and character development will have a hard time being considered a candidate to be best overall show.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Aw, after some of the episode reviews he wrote, I thought Non Non Biyori Repeat was going to be a shoe-in to be included on Paul Jensen's list but, alas, I guess he was only considering how good the season was as a whole instead of a few standout episodes (like the "Flatty-san" one and the episode where Kaede "Candy Store" Kagayama was helping Renge Miyauchi learn how to ride her bike).

Non Non Biyori Repeat was easily the best anime I watched in 2015, although, admittedly, I only watched like 5 shows this year (and four of them were in the summer season). Non Non Biyori Repeat was a perfect expansion, filling in some of the gaps between episodes of the first season and also fleshing out some of the supporting characters like Konomi Fujimiya who didn't get much exposition in the first season. I really hope a third season could get made, even if it's another "sideways" season set in-between episodes of the previous seasons.

My runner-up show would be Himouto! Umaru-chan, which stands out from other high school girl slice-of-life comedies by having at least a little bit of the focus being on her older brother and his office work mates, not that I didn't also enjoy the antics of Umaru-chan and her wacky friends, not to mention the duality of "indoor" and "outdoor" Umaru herself and the double "Clark Kent-ing" with both "Komaru" and "UMR".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed Rebecca did not have Yuri Kuma Arashi at #1(says jokingly).

I'm glad the real MVP in the poll is Yuri Kuma Arashi. Very Happy
#TheFrozenSaint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
#TheFrozenSaint wrote:
Of course one punch man gets the number one spot, it's the most overhyped and overrated anime this year.

It's the most original. Most people are tired of "serious" shonen super hero kids (when in reality those shows are a joke and lack any seriousness whatsoever), slice of life dicking around with no plot, or random shows that are so full of cliche's that the whole plot is predictable.

The most original? It's about an OP nobody getting recognition from other heroes (which is really predictable). It hardly touches on making fun of the typical anime stereotypes, and the characters characteristics and traits (apart from some) are also unoriginal. You interpret it as making fun of the typical anime stereotypes, when in fact it doesn't. Plus there's rarely any dialogue that specifically targets and makes fun of the stereotypes themselves.

You say the comedy the comedy is good but I would say it's actually lacking. Sure the action's epic, but the outcome is predicable. All it does is build up an anticlimactic end where the MC 1 hits everything.
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
My top 5:

5) Young Black Jack

This is extremely good for a doujin. It had some really fascinating themes, fairly right-wing in its ideologies, which I have no problem with, as I like seeing anime that present different perspectives. The final arc in general had me on the edge of my seat, as there was a lot of suspense. I also like its portrayal of Vietnam, as it is also nice to see anime tackle other areas. It wasn't perfect, and I think the character designs were a bit too eccentric for the serious storyline, but it got the job done.

4) Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma

Pure fun from start to finish. I found the show's jokes to be hilarious, and while it isn't deep or well written by any stretch, it's something that I always felt invested in. Soma actually has a personality to him, so even though he always wins, you want to see him win. Beyond that, I really liked Megumi's growth as a character, and she was once again, a character you want to see win. It's just a fun battle shonen that was made more interesting with the addition of food instead of superpowers.

3) My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Too

I fell in love with this series, and while I enjoyed the first season, this one had me seriously hooked. I had just finished up high school when I had picked this up, and I could really relate to the conflicts the characters face. The fact that the show became more dramatic this season really makes sense, as when you aren't too invested with your classmates, their drama isn't too big of a deal. Once you become good friends with your classmates, what seems like small problems feels very real. The whole show was something I could really connect with. Studio Feel also did a great job with the animation, topping Brains Base.

2) Concrete Revolutio: Superhuman Phantasmagoria

This was one of the big titles I was quite excited for, so when the first episode came out and everyone was disappointed and dropping it, I actually didn't pick it up at first. Mostly because I didn't want to be disappointed again after Gangsta. had been so underwhelming, so I waited until four episodes. Then I picked the show up, and while I thought it was cool and had potential, after the last few episodes I've been purely addicted to it. I love the timeline story mechanic, and I really love the show's themes of moral ambiguity. Beyond that, the characters are more and more fascinating, and I think that the relationship between Kikko and Jiro raises a lot of cool questions. I also love how the show's storyline parallels to actual events in Japanese history. On a superficial level, the animation is great, and while the backgrounds are minimalist, the comic book style works really well. I also love the show's music, and the opening has become one of my favorites. I look forward to more episodes.

1) Blood Blockade Battlefront

This was another show I was extremely excited for, and I loved every minute of it. At first glance, I loved the show's setting, living in New York, myself, and I especially loved the show's main character, Leonardo Watch. He's whole inner conflict was one that I could connect with on a very personal level. I also loved how it could mix serious and silly moments with ease. The themes were also solid, combining both Matsumoto's ideals on family and Nightow's ideals on humanism. The direction was solid, with Matsumoto including a lot of visual symbolism that makes each episode highly rewatchable. I also love how, much like Concrete Revolutio, it has this comic book style that works really well with the show. The OST is one of my favorites, and I've listened to a lot of the songs over and over, specifically "The Land of Nod" and "On My Own". I loved how the finale perfectly wrapped up the conflict with Black and White, and pretty much solidified Matsumoto's own themes. This show sold seriously well in Japan, and I'd be a crime for it not to get a second season.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Me personally...

The top 5 I voted for (in no specific order) was Haikyu!! Season 2, Noragami Aragato, Death Parade, Cute High School Earth Defense Club LOVE and Food Wars! (My heart ached to vote for Maria the Virgin Witch, School-Live! and Hibike!, but that wasn't allowed).

The thing is, Food Wars! wasn't my initial 5th vote. It was One-Punch Man. I felt like an idiot for changing it, but by the time I wanted to go back and change my vote again, it was too late. However, color me surprised after seeing Food Wars! rank 4th in the major poll. I did not expect that many people to vote for it.

Now the question is, why did I change it in the first place? Well, although One-Punch Man is a phenomenal show in terms of its animation and genre-defying qualities, it didn't suck me in like Food Wars! did. I started and caught up with the Food Wars! manga during the training camp arc, and before I knew it I had already bought the first three volumes (I just got my fourth volume, volume 5 - the very arc I started reading at- today as an early Christmas present). And although I've also bought the first volume of One-Punch Man, I haven't caught up with the manga yet. Maybe that's a measure of difference to me?

Also, I remember feeling WAY more hyped when watching Food Wars!. The cooking and judging was one of the best parts (and this is coming from a person who avoids fan service like the plague), the other being Souma of course, who is pretty OP himself.

So, I just wanted to explain why I voted for Food Wars! over One-Punch Man, and while that still seems like a stupid decision, I'm glad so many others voted for for Food Wars too (even if it is only 1/4 of O-P Man's votes).
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was rather funny that UBW remained off every critic's list for the moral wrongdoings. Would probably wind up on regular top 5's. And behold, the votes are in. That makes it that much funnier. I wonder if this'll be a trend that shows deemed morally inferior will get a frequent snub from the judges.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Guess you could say Saitama ended this poll...in one punch.

My list; short and sweet in alphabetical order cause numerical lists are for critics!

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Wonderful blend of retro Americana, supernatural action, and Men in Black-style absurd comedy. While the ending wasn't mind blowing and the story seemed to wander around, the series overall felt like wacky thrill ride.

Death Parade - I have this fear that any show that makes me cry the first time won't succeed with future re-watches. However, the core message of the show and the many bittersweet moments will last even if I don't break out the tissues...except for the ending. ;W;

Maria & the Virgin Witch - Feminist or not, this show's initial art and premise really turned me off. In the end, I loved how compact the story was, how Maria had to learn and stick to her ideals in the face of so much opposition, and the attention to details for the historical setting. Minus the witches outfits but, that's just a nitpick.

One Punch Man - It's a superhero parody/comedy that has masterful animation throughout the series AND the hero is a rare attractive bald guy. What's not to love? OPM with an English dub would be great on Toonami.

Snow White with the Red Hair - While My Love Story! finally let the honest nice guy have his happily ever after for 20+ episodes, Snow White made me feel that the beginnings of Zen and Shirayuki's relationship are rarely handled with such tact and healthy character building. The lack of seven dwarfs is a bonus as well!

AssClass, Noragami Aragoto, Gintama Season 3, Sound! and Food Wars get honorable mentions since they all have sequels/continuations planned for 2016. Monster Musume remains a favorite but, I wouldn't consider it the best of the year.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Great to see both Gintama and Jojo's in the top 20 of the poll. All my favorites got decent spots. Fantastic!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It certainly made watching the new season of Yuruyuri a few weeks later feel surreal and unsettling,

qwell, yuru yuri is surreal and unsettling, theya re trapped in a time loop and some characters are aware of it, the manga characters can view the anime and viceversa, they just don't abuse those details.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
AssClass, Noragami Aragoto, Gintama Season 3, Sound! and Food Wars get honorable mentions since they all have sequels/continuations planned for 2016.

For Noragami, do you mean upcoming manga-bundled OVA's? I don't think I've seen news of a sequel series planned (I'd really love for that to be true, though).

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I thought it was rather funny that UBW remained off every critic's list for the moral wrongdoings. Would probably wind up on regular top 5's. And behold, the votes are in. That makes it that much funnier. I wonder if this'll be a trend that shows deemed morally inferior will get a frequent snub from the judges.

Morals had nothing to do it.

For me at least, the pacing on the second half was phenomenally bad. It was made primarily for Naruverse enthusiasts, which made it a philosophical slog for many others. There were enough good points scenes in it (spoiler[Siro and Rin declaring their love, Lancer's death,] the epilogue, some of the fight scenes) that I might have considered the series if it was trimmed down to eight, maybe nine episodes and all of that philosophical rambling was eliminated. Really, it's a series that I wanted to immensely like but it just kept getting in its own way.

As for the debate about OPM, I don't think it was a parody of super-heroes so much as a satire. In that sense it worked quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
When I said my taste was "shit" 2 pages ago I wasn't being completely serious, as I agree that taste is a bad argument most of the time.

However me saying that Perfect Insider and Shimoneta were good in my opinion making my taste "shit" is only because those shows have a less than favorable reception (going by what the main writers thought of them and by what I've seen on sites like MAL) on various anime sites (Despite Shimoneta being in the 7/10 range on said anime sites (I'm pretty sure Insider has a 6.something now on here too)). Disagreeing with critics on a site like this is pretty much guaranteed to get you attacked for bad taste or crap like that.

(Charlotte at #10 on the poll? I thought that show sucked personally but hey, my opinion. And I'm surprised Gangsta's that high up (Above School-Live infact) even with its supposedly shit ending (I haven't watched it yet though so I can't judge for myself))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 22