• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Also, in a show as hot-blooded and bombastic as Gurren Lagann, we get this:
Simon's proposal to Nia wrote:
I think it's about time. It doesn't matter if you're a princess or we are part of the Gurren Brigade. I just want to see as you do, hear as you do, laugh together. I thought it'd be nice if we could have a life like that. My eyes become yours and your ears become mine. I wonder if things like that would be nice.
Will you marry me, Nia?

This deep-rooted faith in each other is losing to the fairy tale love at first sight of Sophie for Howl?

For the record, I'm pretty sure Simon and Nia have a love-at-first-sight thing going on as well, and Simon transfers his feelings for Yoko to Nia pretty quickly. I do agree that they stay together for seven years, and that Simon's proposal is very sweet; however I wouldn't say it's stronger than Sophie and Howl. Time can bond two people together quickly, but so can traumatic experiences. Sophie literally rescues Howl from becoming a demonic beast; and look at their characters. Simon falls for Nia and seven years later she’s still an airhead and just about the only meaningful conversation they've had is Simon’s proposal. Sophie and Howl both learn to love each other for what’s inside; Howl doesn’t love Sophie because she’s gorgeous, hell she’s an old woman for most of the movie. And Sophie may comment on Howl’s handsomeness but she learns that truly he’s a cowardly, vain man who never grew up. To me, their relationship seems to have much more depth; Simon and Nia are flat in comparison.

at Murph: You're welcome darling Smile

I concur. There was nothing "love at first sight" about that movie. I mean, Sophie was overwhelmed that Howl would deign to treat her like a princess and rescue her on their first meeting, but after becoming his maid, she realizes just how much of an immature pain he really is. The wonderful thing about Howl is that he helps Sophie learn to love herself, which is the only way she could learn to love anyone else.

What's fun about that movie, and the thing a lot of people don't get, is that Sophie's spoiler[curse broke because she didn't act like an old lady anymore. For the first time in her life. I mean, she acted like an old lady BEFORE the Witch of the Waste ever put a curse on her. When someone appreciates her for her true beauty, she forgets about what she looks like, so the curse breaks without her ever realizing it. That's the beauty of that romance story. Howl's not "the Beast," Sophie is. Howl has...other problems. ] That's equally interesting, but I've typed enough as it is. Very Happy
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
Edward & Alphonse vs. Jin & Mugen

Voting for: Edward & Alphonse
Reason: These two are major players in the game and I knew about them before I began watching anime. Brothers like them will be tough to beat.

Group C-2
Layla & Sora vs. Romeo & Juliet

Voting for: Romeo & Juliet
Reason: Romeo and Juliet have always been a top tier romantic couple, and this incarnation of them is no different.

Group C-3
Simon & Nia vs. Sophie & Howl

Voting for: Simon & Nia
Reason: I'm going by the write-ups, since I've seen neither.

Group C-4
Chii & Hideki vs. Spike & Jet

Voting for: Chii & Hideki
Reason: Spike and Jet are just partners for the time being. Either one of them would be fine alone, and neither needs the other. Chii & Hideki are inseperable.

Group C-5
Riku & Daisuke vs. Zagato & Emeraude

Voting for: Zagato & Emeraude
Reason: Going by the write-ups for the characters.

Group C-6
Talho & Holland vs. Sato & Misaki

Voting for: Talho & Holland
Reason: Again, going by the write-ups. Never seen either series.

Group C-7
Yukito & Touya vs. Miaka & Tamahome

Voting for: Miaka & Tamahome
Reason: I'll tend to vote for the strong romantic couple out of a pair of duos.

Group C-8
Batou & Motoko vs. Kei Mizuho

Voting for: Kei Mizuho
Reason: Once again, the romantic couple will win out.

Group C-9
Yuji & Marlene vs. Hare & Guu

Voting for: Hare & Guu
Reason: It's hard to vote against two characters who are also the name of the series.

Group C-10
Lum & Ataru vs. Lupin & Zenigata

Voting for: Lum & Ataru
Reason: They're one of the longer standing duos in anime, so they get the vote for longevity.

Group C-11
Juubei & Kazuki vs. Hayate & Himeno

Voting for: Juubei & Kazuki
Reason: Based on the write-ups I see more substance to this one

Group C-12
Jessie & James vs. Kazumi & Noriko

Voting for: Jessie & James
Reason: Another long standing classic pairing that makes for a great duo

Group C-13
Meryl & Milly vs. Naru & Keitaro

Voting for: Naru & Keitaro
Reason: After reading the write-ups, I just can't bring myself to vote for insurance adjusters...

Group C-14
Hibiki & Dita vs. Rock & Revy

Voting for: Rock & Revy
Reason: I'm generally not a big action fan, but I enjoyed this pairing enough to actually purchase the series.

Group C-15
Hubb & Cher vs. Vincent & Real

Voting for: Hubb & Cher
Reason: From the writeups, both seem a bit iffy, so I'll go with them for now but I don't think they'll either of these will make it past the second round.

Group C-16
Shannon & Pacifica vs. Christmas & Kurau

Voting for: Christmas & Kurau
Reason: I'm more familiar with Scrapped Princess, but from the sentiment I've gotten on the thread if I don't vote for Christmas & Kurau tomorrow's headline will read "Bluebeard lynched by angry forum users in tournament disagreement" So I'll trust you guys and give them my vote.

May I Have Your Attention
On a side note- I never knew there was so much dislike of Chobits. I seem to see a lot of people voting Spike & Jet based on their dislike of Chobits, and even people saying Spike and Jet aren't a strong duo, but voting for them anyway. Spike & Jet are way too often on their own. Sure they're working as a team, but their team activities seperate them far too often to be a great duo. Hideki & Chi are nearly always together, and when they're not Hideki is always worried about her to the point of panic. It looks like Spike and Jet are going to take it, but an odd vote change or two would make me happy Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I have edited my voting. And also, everybody vote like rainbowcourage says on C-6 Wink

Why? I have yet to see any argument compelling enough to justify picking Sato and Misaki over a couple as credible, long-lasting, and strongly-established as Talho and Holland. (And I do like NHK, but really, those two are not in the same league.) Besides, if people are going to pull the "they need each other" argument, consider how much (more) of a mess Holland would be without Talho around to reorient him and look after him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1

Voting for: Edward & Alphonse
Reason: The chemistry/duoship of Jin and Mugen lost momentum as the series went on, and it became more about just fight, fight, fight, rather than teamwork or highlighting their differences/similarities, etc. Ed & Al were close from the very start, and the sacrifices they make for each other and what they are willing to do for the other makes them a clear winner here.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): None.

Group C-2

Voting for: Layla & Sora
Reason: Romeo and Juliet's relationship has always been idealistic and way too storybook-like. It's better than it was in the novel, but their relationship still reeks of that "love at first sight" nonsense that I don't believe in and can't really stand. How do you know you love someone when you just met them? Anyway, onto Layla & Sora, they're partners who have achieved what is possibly the world's greatest feat by working together, encouraging each other, and believing in one another. The degree to which spoiler[Sora is dejected about Layla's absence at the end of Season 1/beginning of Season 2] makes their relationship even more convincing.

Group C-3
Simon & Nia vs. Sophie & Howl

Voting for: Sophie & Howl
Reason: I've read the arguments (and guide), and while I haven't seen the latter series, I'm convinced that the latter duo is stronger than Simon & Nia, of whom which spoiler[7 years of development never got explained, so everything between them really left me not caring], especially if Howl is able to love Sophie without her being in her true form, proving that he's able to transcend looks & external appearance.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Could happen, provided that I get an argument against the latter.

Group C-4

Voting for: Chii & Hideki
Reason: Spike and Jet are just there. Bluebeard's right, take away either of the two, and the other will stand on his own two feet and continue doing what he's been doing the entire time. In the world of Bebop, dependency will just get you screwed over anyway. However, Chii is almost Hideki's only companion; he spends all his time thinking about her, all his activities involve her, he does crazy things just for her sake, etc. Likewise, she returns the favor, seeming happiest whenever she sees him when he returns home.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Very, very low.

Group C-5
Riku & Daisuke vs. Zagato & Emeraude

Voting for: Riku & Daisuke
Reason: Haven't seen either series, but I read the guide. Riku & Daisuke seem to be your average young "friends turned couple", and don't really seem like strong contenders, but the whole "tragic lovers" S&M love relationship between Zagato and Emeraude really doesn't click for me.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Quite possible.

Group C-6

Voting for: Sato & Misaki
Reason: Talho & Holland have been together a really long time, care for each other, and fall in love. But do I care? No. Not only did this whole love thing come out of nowhere whereas they were barely the focus of the series AND their relationship barely highlighted earlier in the show, it just feels like a sideshow to the spotlight given to Eureka & Renton, and it's also way underdeveloped, meaning when I saw them fall in love it really made no impact on me and it just kind of happened. Sato & Misaki, however, like others have said, pretty much have no one after a point but each other. Their relationship was just about the main focus of the entire series, and it was slow, gradual, and much more believable than the former. Misaki opens up to Sato whereas she kept everything hidden from others, spoiler[goes halfway across the country for Sato's sake (and vice versa)], and genuinely cares about his well-being after settling her own differences. He also comes to realize just how important she is to him.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Doubtful.

Group C-7
Yukito & Touya vs. Miaka & Tamahome

Voting for: Miaka & Tamahome
Reason: ...I don't really know. Just that many incidents vs. one particular incident seems to click better.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Very likely.

Group C-8
Batou & Motoko vs. Kei & Mizuho

Voting for: Batou & Motoko
Reason: Haven't seen either, but the latter series seems too silly by its very premise to really present an earnest relationship effectively. Also, I like that the former seem to be close and are effective male/female partners without having to be romantic.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Possible.

Group C-9

Voting for: Yuji & Marlene
Reason: Er...Hare and Guu just seem to be...too comedical...and weird.

Group C-10

Voting for: Lum & Ataru
Reason: I'd rather see an iconic romantic couple advance than goofy archnemesis detectives.

Group C-11

Voting for: Hayate & Himeno
Reason: Guide.

Group C-12

Voting for: Kazumi & Noriko
Reason: Not voting for Jessie & James, that's all.

Group C-13

Voting for: Naru & Keitaro
Reason: Meryl & Milly, are nothing, they're not even important. All they do is work together, there's no semblance of anything that composes a great duo. Naru & Keitaro aren't really the best duo ever, but they at least TRY to develop the two, together at that. Also, their slow but sure developing romantic relationship seemed to set the tone for many modern romance series.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Very low.

Group C-14

Voting for: Rock & Revy
Reason: Difficult. For the former, being able to develop feelings and care for each other when such a standard is an alien concept in their world is no small feat, and is a real duo-enhancer. On the other hand, Revy has shown she's willing to bust Rock out of dangerous situations at the risk of her own life, and vice versa, and that's no small feat either. Since I can't decide, I'm going with the duo I'm more familiar with here.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Quite possible.

Group C-15

Voting for: Vincent & Real
Reason: This whole "divorced but lingering feelings" thing really doesn't click for me, but then again, I haven't seen the show nor have I seen the other, so I might be voting on misinformation here.

Group C-16

Voting for: Christmas & Kurau
Reason: I don't really know Christmas & Kurau, and I thought Shannon & Pacifica were pretty effective together, seeing as how Shannon says something to the effect of spoiler["what's the point of living in this world if it doesn't have my little sister [Pacifica] in it"], but since everyone is voting for the latter, I'll trust the masses.
Likelihood of vote change (optional): Uh...I don't know.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
but since everyone is voting for the latter, I'll trust the masses.

You think I'm nobody? I feel so rejected...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
I see many are changing votes in the C-6 bracket but I'm still disheartened by the lack of changes in C-2 and the amount of "I'm voting for Romeo and Juliet because I heard of the play. If you've seen the show and perfer them that's one thing but voting against Layla and Sora here simply on name alone is a true disservice and injustice to them. I again urge people to reconsider and check out an episode or two of Kaleidostar. I'd even be willing to change my vote in a category or two to achieve other people's changes. I feel strongly that the bonds between Sora and Keyla and the friendship they build are superior.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Since someone asked me to vote in this round ( Wink ), I will not disappoint and here I am :

Group C-1

Voting for: Edward and Alphonse
Reason: I liked the intensity of the relationship between these two brothers and from the beginning I was made curious about how it will develop. It didn't quite actually go as expected but they shared a lot of pain and suffering in the pursuit of their goal. Plus they are too strong of a duo not to be voted here.

Group C-2

Voting for: Layla and Sora
Reason: In spite of the fact that people keep mention what a great play Romeo and Juliet was, I actually never liked it. (And I am a literature student who studied for a whole semester Shakespeare; there are out there better plays of his than this one). The anime didn't impressed me either and since it didn't leave any strong impression on me I will vote with Layla and Sora. I grant you that they aren't exactly the most interesting couple ever, but somehow I liked how the relationship between these two helped Sora grow.

Group C-3
Simon & Nia vs. Sophie and Howl

Voting for: Sophie & Howl
Reason:I have read all the comments of the other posters that have voted before me and also the guide, to see if I could change my opinion but since it seems that nothing notable has been said my first choice will remain: Sophie and Howl. I agree when people say that there's not too much of a chemestry between them as any romantic relationship might be but I liked the fact that they can overcome their ways of seeing life and they are able to accept other people's worlds as well.

Group C-4

Voting for: Chii and Hideki
Reason:I will go with this pair. I don't care about not being a great anime, I couldn't resist this funny couple and sometimes really...weird.

Group C-5
Riku & Daisuke vs. Zagato & Emeraud

Voting for: Riku and Daisuke
Reason: Now, here I am at a loss because I haven’t seen either of the series so I had to go by the guideline. Therefore I think I will vote with this pair because a tragic love story doesn’t sound really appealing to me.

Group C-6

Voting for: Sato and Misaki
Reason: Here I have been convinced by frentymon’s post and therefore my vote goes with this pair.

Group C-7
Yukito & Touya vs. Miaka and Tamahome

Voting for: Miaka and Tamahome
Reason: I can’t believe that I am voting with one of the most annoying characters ever to fill the anime world, this crybaby that made Fushigi Yuugi so hard to watch sometimes, but I will admit that many times she and Tamahome had some great moments together and they are really a force when seriously involved in their pursuit.

Group C-8
Batou & Motoko vs. Kei & Mizuho

Voting for: Batou and Motoko
Reason: Again here I am going with the one I know because the other pair, though I haven’t seen the series doesn’t appear appealing to me. Also in spite of the fact that this couple hasn’t made a strong impression on me, I still remember them and this is a plus in my book.

Group C-9

Voting for: Yuji and Marlene
Reason: Hare and Guu didn’t make any impression on me, therefore I will stick with this one.

Group C-10

Voting for: Lupin and Zenigata
Reason: I am not familiar with either of these anime, but going by the guideline, I find this pair much more appealing than the other one.

Group C-11

Voting for: Hayate and Himeno
Reason: Ok, I admit that they aren’t a strong couple: many times Himeno feels like she has to prove something to Hayate and the latter will rather keep her at a distance (because of an event that occurred before they met). Still I really liked the chemistry between these two: they had their winning points, especially in episode 8. And I would choose them even just for that scene in which spoiler[Himeno asks forgiveness (without having a fault) and Hayate just warmly embraces her]

Group C-12

Voting for: Jessie and James
Reason: They are the only ones that truly stuck to my memory as being quite funny and inseparable. There can’t be a Jesse without a James.

Group C-13

Voting for: Naru and Keitaro
Reason: They annoyed me how slowly they developed a romantic relationship, but they were likable enough to have my vote against the other pair.

Group C-14

Voting for: Rock and Revy
Reason: What’s not to like about this couple? Yes, they may seem a mismatch but I think that each of them has something what the other sometimes needs: Rock might definetly need some of Revy’s strength and her sometimes very cynic manner of looking at the world, while Revy needs Rock’s kindness and his hopes for the world. (Not that in her job they would mean an actually good thing). I loved how this duo developed especially in the second season so they definetly have my vote.

Group C-15

Voting for: Vincent and Real
Reason: Ergo Proxy was entertaining to watch in part due to this duo, at least for me. They are quite different and they come from two very different worlds, which make things tougher for them sometimes. Nonetheless, they have a similar goal and the relationship that slowly develops (I’m firstly thinking of friendship) makes me vote them.

Group C-16

Voting for: Shannon and Pacifica
Reason: I haven’t seen Kurau Phantom Memory (yeah, yeah, yell “Blasphemy!” and burn me) and I know that many people who have enjoyed both shows have voted for this couple, but I will stick with Shannon and Pacifica. There have been many times in my life when I didn’t agree with the majority so although seeing many people vote for them I will go with my choice .Shannon and Pacifica will remain for me at least a really powerful couple, that are together for better and for worst: Shannon would sacrifice a world for his sister and she would forever see him as a herospoiler[ I really loved the scene when she tells him that she loves him and how pleased Shannon was]. Therefore if such a wonderful pair goes down, at least it should go down with votes so they have mine.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Bluebeard and frentymon have convinced me to support Chii and Hideki. Therefore I have changed my vote and edited my previous post accordingly.

-Murph
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
I have edited my voting. And also, everybody vote like rainbowcourage says on C-6 Wink

Why? I have yet to see any argument compelling enough to justify picking Sato and Misaki over a couple as credible, long-lasting, and strongly-established as Talho and Holland. (And I do like NHK, but really, those two are not in the same league.) Besides, if people are going to pull the "they need each other" argument, consider how much (more) of a mess Holland would be without Talho around to reorient him and look after him.

Ouch, that hurts. Anyway, since I'm pulling a "they need each other," I think it's safe to say that Holland would be a mess for a little, however spoiler[ it seems he was able to move on from his relationship with Diane; and I can't see him becoming suicidal if he and Talho broke up. I mean, he would still have to run Gekko State, that would pretty much give him a purpose in life. I can't say the same for Satou, especially at the end of the series when his best friend had already moved back home and he had, essentially, no one except for Misaki. ]

besides, pathos over logos any day! Razz
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Ouch, that hurts. Anyway, since I'm pulling a "they need each other," I think it's safe to say that Holland would be a mess for a little, however spoiler[ it seems he was able to move on from his relationship with Diane; and I can't see him becoming suicidal if he and Talho broke up. I mean, he would still have to run Gekko State, that would pretty much give him a purpose in life. I can't say the same for Satou, especially at the end of the series when his best friend had already moved back home and he had, essentially, no one except for Misaki. ]

besides, pathos over logos any day! Razz

'Fraid I can't respond to that since I'm still in the process of NHK and am awaiting vol. 4's release this week. (Writing this response without looking at the spoiler was kinda dodgy, heh.)

Regarding aya_honda's comments about Shannon and Pacifica: Enh, I guess I can't dispute that they deserve to go down with at least a few votes. That this late vote surge for them has actually brought them up to only a (by my count) 10-20 deficit is a testament to a) how respected they are, and b) how many more people have apparently seen Scrapped Princess than Kurau Phantom Memory. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Hope to see some intensified campaigning in the next 24 hours.

C-6, C-10, and C-15 are all tied up at 15-15!

Shocked
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
The problem that I have with both Sato and Hideki revolves around the fact that both characters come across as pathetic to me. In Hideki's case it feels as though a magical android just happens to appear to him for free while in Sato's case I find the relationship rather one sided as of volume 3 of NHK. These one sided "loser finds amazing girl" seem like wish fulfillment fantasies for lonely otaku and I have not seen couples like this (except in one case which ended really quickly/badly) in real life.

Talho and Holland's relationship feels so much more mutual and honest in comparison. I disagree that marriage (as stated in the previous Pretear couple) is the ultimate tie between couples and consider spoiler[having a child] as the ultimate moment of sharing one's life with another. This couple definitely have a believable relationship which is both mutual and healthy.

I'm heavily campaigning for this couple since I really hate loser with fantasy girl or harem girls type matches. These shows seem to pander towards their fans and seem to reinforce this "even introverted slobs will have wonderful girls appear at their doorsteps" mentality.

In regards to Hubb & Cher vs. Vincent & Real my main problem with Hubb & Cher is that their relationship is stagnant compared to Vincent & Real which is really dynamic. I do like both couples, and find Hubb & Cher's relationship believable and mutual (important as I have stated above) but sadly enough I find that Vincent & Real's relation very fascinating and complex in comparison.

Urusei vs Lupin will be tough and I actually prefer Lupin over Urusei as far as classic series go. I feel that my vote stays with Lum and Ataru since it works on a deeper level than Lupin and Zenigata's. Zenigata comes across as a reactionary character whose actions can be predicted early in every scenario. You can almost guarantee that he will "almost" catch Lupin but will once again end up chasing after him as the credits roll. There just isn't enough about Zenigata for him to carry his own plot. Urusei Yatsura is about Lum and Ataru, while Lupin III is about Lupin.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Finally I have time to sit down and vote. Wow, it took forever to read every post in this round, but it was interesting. It's fun to see so many people enthusiastically defend their choices. On to my votes...

Group C-1

Edward & Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist

I've seen both series and don't see Mugen and Jin as much of a duo, let alone one that would beat out Ed and Al.

Group C-2

Layla Hamilton & Sora Naegino from Kaleido Star

I just love Kaleido Star, and the relationship between Sora and Layla is at the center of it. They are sometimes rivals, sometimes partners, and finally friends, developing a wonderful relationship in the process. Both of them experience so much growth during the course of the series, each affecting the other in very different ways but both challenging the other to become more than they were before they met.

Group C-3

Simon & Nia from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I really don't know about this pair as I haven't seen either series, but the people who have seen TTGL seem to be very supportive of them. A lot of folks seem to be voting for the Howl's pair only because it's the one show of the two they have seen.

Group C-4

Spike Spiegal & Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop

Spike and Jet are a great tough guy pairing. They don't show it outwardly very often, but over time they have become great friends almost to the point of being like family. Though they clearly irritate each other greatly sometimes, they always come back to each other spoiler[right up to the end]. When Spike has to leave to settle his past, Jet supports him even though he knows it's probably a bad idea, and though he claims he doesn't care his actions prove otherwise.

Group C-5

Zagato & Princess Emeraude from Magic Knight Rayearth

This is another pair I don't know anything about. I'm going off the comments of others and the guide in making this choice.

Group C-6

Tatsuhiro Sato & Misaki Nakahara from Welcome to the NHK

I haven't seen Welcome to the NHK, but I have seen Eureka 7. I was never much impressed with the relationship between Talho and Holland and probably would have voted against them in any event, but all the campaigning for Tatsuhiro and Misaki has convinced me that this is the right choice here.

Group C-7

Miaka Yuuki & Tamahome from Fushigi Yuugi

Sadly, I haven't seen either series. But there are enough people voting for the Fushigi Yuugi couple that I know are huge CCS fans that I am going to go with them as well.

Group C-8

Batou & Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: SAC

I have not seen Onegai Teacher, but I think Batou and the Major do make a great team and deserve to move on.

Group C-9

Yuji Kaidou & Marlene Angel from Blue Gender

I don't have strong feelings about this vote having not seen either show, but based on comments that have been made so far I'm voting for the Blue Gender pair.

Group C-10

Lum & Ataru Moroboshi from Urusei Yatsura

I've seen a little Lupin but don't want to vote the for Lupin/Zenigata combo, so I'll go with the classic pair from Urusei Yatsura.

Group C-11

Juubei Kakei & Kazuki Fuchoin from Getbackers

I wasn't terribly impressed with any of the pairs from Pretear, so I'll go with the Getbackers duo.

Group C-12

James & Jessie from Pokemon

So much hate for Pokemon! Sure it's a monotonous, repetitive kid's show, but Jesse and James' relationship is one of the highlights. It seems like either would be completely lost without the other.

Group C-13

Meryl Stryfe & Milly Thompson from Trigun

Milly and Meryl make a great team. Talk about a job from hell. Having to chase around after Vash would put any co-workers to the test but Milly and Meryl manage to survive the experience in large part because they support each other along the way.

Group C-14

Rock & Revy from Black Lagoon

Vandred is filled with fun and colorful characters, which is a good thing because I found Dita and Hibiki to be fairly annoying and enjoyed the series on the strength of the side characters. I never felt like they were together due to any kind of genuine affection and the whole pairing seemed forced and hard to believe. I haven't seen Black Lagoon, but Rock and Revy would not have to be a very strong pair to get my vote and from the comments I have seen so far they qualify to get my vote.

Group C-15

Hubb & Cher from Wolf’s Rain

Hubb and Cher were probably my favorite characters from Wolf's Rain. You always got the sense that the collapse of their marriage was due to circumstances more than the fact that they didn't love each other. At the beginning, Hubb can't really comprehend the events going on around him but he doggedly follows Cher out of love and devotion and ventures into a world gone mad. Eventually, as he comes to understand what is happening, her quest becomes his as well and even spoiler[after her death, he carries through to the end.]

Group C-16

Christmas & Kurau from Kurau Phantom Memory

Ohhhh. I hate, hate, HATE voting against Shannon and Pacifica. I love Scrapped Princess and one of the things that makes it so special is the relationship between these two. Nevertheless, I am going to bend to the will of the mob mentality follow the wisdom of my fellow forum members and cast my vote for Kurau and Christmas even though I have not seen even one episode of the show. (It's very high on my list of things I want to see, though.)
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Regarding aya_honda's comments about Shannon and Pacifica: Enh, I guess I can't dispute that they deserve to go down with at least a few votes. That this late vote surge for them has actually brought them up to only a (by my count) 10-20 deficit is a testament to a) how respected they are, and b) how many more people have apparently seen Scrapped Princess than Kurau Phantom Memory. Razz

I am glad that Shannon and Pacifica can get down at least in style. However since Kurau Phantom Memory has been so much praised during this week and Cristmas and Kurau are such a respected couple, I have decided that it would be time to get a hold of this anime and watch it. Especially since Christmas and Kurau will go to the next round. Wink
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
Heh. Hope to see some intensified campaigning in the next 24 hours.

C-6, C-10, and C-15 are all tied up at 15-15!

Shocked

Eek! Anything could happen!

(Go Lupin and Zenigata/Hubb and Cher!) Wink

(If you don't know who to vote for in C-15, read my finger-throbbing campaigning attempt, here.)
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=251
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 80