• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Maybe i am little biased as i watched the original and enjoyed it but i would try to tell new viewers to keep an open mind and try to approach it with the sense that it is a product of it's time and not set to the standards that we have now. Especially since this is a series that helped established a lot of the common tropes we see today in general, like waifu's, shoujo romance and comedy cliches etc.

I can't believe I have to say this, but a shonen manga about a horny guy who wants a harem from the late 70's did not invent or help establish 'shoujo romance'. It was already well established by then and also a completely different genre and, most of the time, tone from this series.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
Especially since this is a series that helped established a lot of the common tropes we see today in general, like waifu's, shoujo romance and comedy cliches etc.

But...I don't like most of those tropes. I didn't back then either. I have never liked Stooges-style slapstick, or found people yelling at each other at the top of their lungs to be funny. And I'm not gonna sit through a whole season of this just for documentary purposes unless someone pays me.

I've never been able to get through Ranma or Maison either, and lord knows I've tried. Just not my cuppa, and it never will be. Now Inuyasha I liked because it was focused on the action and drama, with the mostly unfunny jokes as comic relief (though I liked Miroku) and not its raison d'etre as it seems to be for UY.

Reducing Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku only on the slapstick humour and the "yelling" of the characters (I call it excellent voice acting) does both series a great disservice. There's so much more to both series, especially Maison Ikkoku with the great drama and emotional ending, and Urusei Yatsura had some clever written episodes directed by Mamoru Oshii which were quite different from the usual UY staple and fleshed the main characters out more than Takahashi's manga ever did, but your mileage may vary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:31 am Reply with quote
I voted in the survey! I chose the shows I'm watching this season, which are Bibliophile Princess, Delicious Party Pretty Cure, I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss, and My Master Has No Tail.

I would encourage everyone to vote for the new shoujos we have (including Raven of the Inner Palace which I am not watching) because shoujo has been horribly under the radar. And, of course, Delicious Party Pretty Cure, whose reviews have been fantastic and we should continue to ask for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
quoting Swissman --> "Reducing Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku only on the slapstick humour and the "yelling" of the characters (I call it excellent voice acting) does both series a great disservice. There's so much more to both series, especially Maison Ikkoku with the great drama and emotional ending, and Urusei Yatsura had some clever written episodes directed by Mamoru Oshii which were quite different from the usual UY staple and fleshed the main characters out more than Takahashi's manga ever did, but your mileage may vary."
( Sorry, goofed up the quoting system. )

Ditto. I watched the first 28 or so eps and thought they were ok. It wasn't until I got into the Oshii stuff that I thought I was watching something really special.

Btw, I just watched the reboot's first ep, and it felt like the old earlier eps. I laughed a few times - I like me some dumb comedy - but it wasn't particularly interesting and entertaining, imho.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have never liked Stooges-style slapstick, or found people yelling at each other at the top of their lungs to be funny.

Reducing Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku only on the slapstick humour and the "yelling" of the characters (I call it excellent voice acting) does both series a great disservice.

I didn't reduce them to those tropes. I said those tropes were what I didn't like about them. Spending my time digging through crap to find the pony does me a great disservice, so I don't do that so much anymore. Like I said, I've given them a chance, more than one, actually, and they are not for me. But you're welcome to knock yourself out enjoying them. Ha ha, "knock yourself out." I'm too funny. Rolling Eyes
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
What I was afraid would happen with Urusei Yatsura basically ended up happening. I don't really blame David, but I was hoping for a series that felt like a complete re-imagining of the original manga, and instead it's more like a parody of the original anime. The shadow the original anime cast was just too big on the industry as a whole.

I think the manga is genuinely funny--perhaps Takahashi's funniest, tbh--which is why I was curious to see if its charms could coherently be brought to the small screen. Looks like I won't get the answer here.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
II would encourage everyone to vote for the new shoujos we have (including Raven of the Inner Palace which I am not watching) because shoujo has been horribly under the radar.

I would, but alas - none of them are the kind I enjoy. Sad I guess I'll just continue waiting for a) an adaptation of something that is my cup of tea, b) an original that is something I enjoy.

And on that note, it's a shame that Cool Doji Danshi/Play It Cool Guys doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere, because it's genuinely funny and relatable! Alas, what with it being a short and with the lack of streaming (fansubs would help with that, though) it's really going to fly under everyone's radar.

I also took a look at Eternal Boys, but... yeeeah, I'm going to pass on that. Especially as it turned out it's actually just an elaborate ad for an honest to god idol mobage. Eh.
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Has the Reincarnated as a Microphone show even been licensed? It looks like it was supposed to be out yesterday...
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Swissman wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have never liked Stooges-style slapstick, or found people yelling at each other at the top of their lungs to be funny.

Reducing Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku only on the slapstick humour and the "yelling" of the characters (I call it excellent voice acting) does both series a great disservice.

I didn't reduce them to those tropes. I said those tropes were what I didn't like about them.

I‘m sorry, but it didn‘t sound to me like you just didn‘t like those tropes but moreso that you reduced Takahashi‘s series only on those things which annoy you. You mentioning your disdain earlier and not wanting to give them a chance doesn‘t help in the discussion either, so I guess you just wanted to get off steam and be heard, so I won‘t try to convince you otherwise. No need to get so defensive.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So, minor thing overall, but is Urusei Yatsura set in the 70's or modern day? Even the reviewers didn't seem to know as some went either way. They're right about the old box TV's and phones, but Ataru is shown flipping through a smartphone in either the closing or opening animation...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
So, minor thing overall, but is Urusei Yatsura set in the 70's or modern day? Even the reviewers didn't seem to know as some went either way. They're right about the old box TV's and phones, but Ataru is shown flipping through a smartphone in either the closing or opening animation...

By everything in the first episode, it seems to be set in late 70's/early 80's like the original. The modern stuff is only in the OP, and specifically is part of the sequence that's presented as a dream Ataru is having before waking up at the end of the opening.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:

Just my humble opinion, but I think it's in its own universe, where Rule of Funny is all. Anything goes, like the number of times the city or the high school gets blown up & in the next ep everything is fine. Which is ok by me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
You mentioning your disdain earlier and not wanting to give them a chance doesn‘t help in the discussion either, so I guess you just wanted to get off steam and be heard, so I won‘t try to convince you otherwise. No need to get so defensive.

I defend my opinions when people either don't read what I write or read into it what they want to. You seem to have missed the parts where I said I have given these a chance, more than once. Beautiful Dreamer literally put me to sleep the first time, and the second time I made it through and realized I was better off sleeping through it. But I was still willing to try one more time to see if I could finally see what others see in it, since people kept telling me the series was different. Just the fact that I was willing to give it another chance ought to clue you in that I didn't come into it wanting to hate it, but it really is not for me. And that's ok! But it bugs me when people insinuate that I'm wrong or blind or biased against it just because it's not for me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The second episode of Bibliophile Princess showed an interesting structural trick.
But I'm not sure it's a good one.
They might even further this structural curiosity in the third episode.

So the first episode showed Eliana reading and doing absolutely nothing as the palace staff talk and do their business.It seems to reflect what she thinks she does in the palace.

Then the second suddenly says she's been full of ideas the whole time, using the knowledge she's gleaned from her reading to consult on numerous subjects. If you go back and rewatch stuff from the first episode, you find the stuff people are talking about are things they say she was instrumental in building plans for. The only scene that was obviously weird being the cut-off of her reacting to the vase.

So... I guess the third episode will go back again and properly show what she's been doing from the perspective of the others.

It's an interesting trick... but is it a good one?

I can't remember if I included the show in my picks to review, but I'm going to double-check now.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
UY - I thought the first half was enjoyable, but the 2nd seemed to suddenly ratchets things up to 11. Shouldn't there be something in-between Lum accepting a marriage proposal and deciding that destroying a city is worth it to keep Ataru tied down?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22