• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Overman King Gainer DVD Complete Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
hahaha oh wow
Vash6905

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
It really depends on who you ask, but I'll try to break things down as best I can.

Generally speaking......differences between them are still enough to change one's overall impression.
Anime cry

My friend you have said almost verbatim what I would say to someone unfamiliar
with Tomino's work and you saved me the trouble of having to type it here.
You sir have gained my eternal respect. Cool
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Tomino opinions

I don't think I've ever read somebody's opinions on Tomino that so closely mirror my own.

Stay out of my head!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I reccomend you rent it just to see how different Tomino is when he isn't depressed. The difference between V Gundam, and King Gainer is really shocking since their tone is basically the exact opposite.

While V GUNDAM is the most downbeat Tomino show I've seen there are a few things in it, e.g. the bathtub interrogation scene, the motorcyle battleships(with a motorcyle freak commander), the wheel-riding mobile suits, and the bikini bazooka team(all amongst my favorite parts of the show), which seem to foreshadow the nuttiness of KING GAINER.
CyborgZeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I disagree pretty strongly with this review.

If you go into King Gainer expecting a deep plot and well-detailed back-stories then you're watching the wrong show. King Gainer is all about fun characters, comedy, and of course plenty of robot action. I mean come on, you've got a ninja who uses a shotgun and the pilots use abilities called "Overskill".

Plus the OP, King Gainer Over! is addicting as hell.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tomino opinions

I don't think I've ever read somebody's opinions on Tomino that so closely mirror my own.

Stay out of my head!

I was thinking the same thing. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought like that. It was starting to bring me down. But this makes me happy.

Wow, I disagree with this review on quit a few points. So many in fact, that i,m not going to go in to many of them, mostly dew to my poor typing skills and even worse spelling.

Its been quite a few years since I watched the interview with Tomino on the 2nd dvd, but i seem to remember him saying he set out to make an action show that people could just watch for fun. He also said he wanted to create a show that had no boundaries, where the characters could do any thing and it wouldn't seem out of place or to much. In my personal opinion I think he delivered in spades.

I also would have to strongly disagree with the reviewers opinion of the music. I really love Kohei Tanakas music and this sound track is one of my personal favorites by him. With or without the visuals the music is just fun to listen to.

I would however have to agree with the reviewers opinion on the battles. Some of the choreography is just jaw dropping.
Like King Gainers first encounter with the Dominator in episode 14. Thats probably the coolest mech battle I've ever seen, and its not because it took place in Siberia. I believe That Sunrise co produced that episode with Bones, if I'm not mistaken.

The bottom line is Overman King Gainer rocks! Overheat!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3