• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Scores of Free Streaming Anime Added to ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Anyways, regarding Avatar: I'd say go for it.

Regarding streaming other things aside from anime in the future, in general, I'd suggest that you keep your streaming focused on anime. Things like Avatar should be the exception. But if you do get the rights to non-Japanese animation as part of package deals and the like, and you think they'll appeal to us, go ahead. I also wouldn't object to live-action anime adaptions, but as I said, I'd like you to keep the focus mostly on anime.

I never really payed very much attention to ANN TV before now. For some reason I assumed the streaming of shows on ANN was going to be an occasional and rare thing. But it sounds like you are planning on expanding a lot in the future and creating a fully fledged anime streaming site, which makes me somewhat excited. The more legal options for me to see anime, the better. Very Happy

Regarding shows you get the rights to yourself: I second the suggestion that you try and get both sub and dub whenever possible. That will make both sub and dub fans happy, as well as people like me who sometimes prefer one or the other.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
Does this explain why I can watch Angelic Layer ep 1 with no problems but get an error code 20032 when trying to watch Slayers ep 1? (Region restrictions shouldn't apply since I'm from the US, right?)

Huh. It looks like the first 4 eps of Slayers have been removed from Joost before their proper expiration dates. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what's up. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I would like to watch "Avatar: the Last Airbender" on ANN. Avatar is nice.

BTW, is season 3 the last season for Avatar? Wonder if they will do a live action or an anime movie. Avatar can be made into a live action and bring in a lot of revenue at the box office. I think it will do better than Dragon Ball Evolution. Avatar is mainstream and any kid who watches Nickelodeon knows about Avatar. I wouldn't mind watching a live action of Avatar. The live action can be a different story arc like how the Japanese anime companies do it with their anime series. More Sokka, Aang, Katara, and Toph Bei Fong etc. in action, drama, comedy scenes.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like great news. This should add a few more ways to get everyone used to watching streaming video legally.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks alot ANN. For a stream i'm quite impressed with the quality of black blood brothers thus far.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Yes, I would like to watch "Avatar: the Last Airbender" on ANN. Avatar is nice.

BTW, is season 3 the last season for Avatar? Wonder if they will do a live action or an anime movie. Avatar can be made into a live action and bring in a lot of revenue at the box office. I think it will do better than Dragon Ball Evolution. Avatar is mainstream and any kid who watches Nickelodeon knows about Avatar. I wouldn't mind watching a live action of Avatar. The live action can be a different story arc like how the Japanese anime companies do it with their anime series. More Sokka, Aang, Katara, and Toph Bei Fong etc. in action, drama, comedy scenes.

As far as I know, season 3 is the final season. I have yet to see the second half of the 3rd season due to some schedule issues, though, so I can't say for sure if they left it open for future episodes or not.

And actually, a live action trilogy of Avatar films is already planned. They are being directed by M Night Shyamalan.

And no, I'm not joking about that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Why not stream Jackie Chan Adventures and that anime-inspired Teen Titans cartoon, while you're at it? Both of those were pretend anime better than Avatar.

Being a dick about it is definitely going to get us to listen to you. Works every time chief.

How am I being a dick? There are plenty of other anime-inspired American cartoons out there that aren't even being considered. What makes Avatar special? It's no more or less anime than, say, Samurai Jack or Kappa Mikey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Why not stream Jackie Chan Adventures and that anime-inspired Teen Titans cartoon, while you're at it? Both of those were pretend anime better than Avatar.

Being a dick about it is definitely going to get us to listen to you. Works every time chief.

How am I being a dick? There are plenty of other anime-inspired American cartoons out there that aren't even being considered. What makes Avatar special? It's no more or less anime than, say, Samurai Jack or Kappa Mikey.

There would have been less sarcastic ways to ask that, though. Razz

And it's pure speculation on my part, but as I said, the answer is probably because Avatar is already being streamed on Joost and is therefore simple to acquire. Heck, ANN may already have the rights for it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Tons of people love it, a load of anime fans love it, I see countless Avatar cosplayers at anime conventions, there's a big crossover audience, it's pretty obvious that at least in the minds of the fans it's related enough to be included...

I could go on. I've never seen the show myself but saying "OH WELL WHY NOT JUST RUN CAPTAIN KANGAROO RERUNS!!!" like everything is a giant slippery slope and our purity will be ruined by running something that's pretty obviously appreciated by this community seems like ridiculous hyperventilating to me.

Me coming to your house and peeing in your toaster has a negative impact on you. The site running Avatar episodes does not.

Hell, I'd argue if we could stream Samurai Jack, a lot of people here would love that and it's not exactly unrelated. We cover American live-action adaptations of anime series all the time, and The Gallery just last week or the week before profiled a background artist who worked on Avatar.

There's really no reason to be so closed-off and exclusive about it. Why not make everyone happy, within reason?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The main reason is not the art style, but the narrative structure. Avatar is somewhat unlike almost all american cartoons because it employs longer story arcs similar to the way anime does, i.e. it is less episodic.

The other shows you mention all have anime inspired art styles but stick to the episodic nature of US animation.

There are plenty of US shows that are more anime like in their story telling (anyone remember Reboot? Or Gargoyals?) over the years but avatar is one of the first to combine an anime art style along with the story progression.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I would love if Samurai Jack was streamed on ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

So then why are you arguing that we shouldn't stream Avatar?
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about Avatar myself. But I guess there is no harm in providing something extra for those that would want it, not like it gets in anyone else's way. Myself, I can't watch streaming anime at all. I can't stand the low bit-rate, and I know it sounds picky, but I just can't bare to watch something in such a low resolution when there are high definition options out there (especially with the original language tracks, which I personally enjoy, with subs of course). It's great your offering such things to those that want it though, but I have a feeling that might be a vast minority of your users... Still though, doesn't hurt.
Quote:

Just for the heck of it, I don't recall him saying not to do it, he just said why Avatar over something else? Like what makes it so different? He never said not to stream it too. Then he simply asked about another show he enjoys, Samurai Jack. I think you're jumping the gun a bit bud. Simmer down.

Last edited by Brass2TheMax on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice idea, expect the "EXPIRES SOON, BITCHES" anime listed on the page. Granted it's not any of the newer ones, but still...

Zac, how often DO you pee in toasters? Seems like a rather disturbing pastime to me...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I just don't like the special attention that Avatar gets, is all.

And I'm not arguing there aren't any good American cartoons, but there's a lot of crossover in a lot of fandoms, but that doesn't mean ANN should feature everything anime fans might be interested in. There are other sites for that, aren't there? Isn't that what happened to Anime on DVD and Newtype USA?

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7