• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Craziest Anime Families

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
soulfringe wrote:
Psssh, this list does not have the Midarezaki family from Kyoran Kazoku Nikki, and is therefor invalid imo. Wink

Indeed. Let's run through the list:

Ouka ("Father") - Normal human, excepting that he works with the supernatural division of law enforcement, and at one point sincerely threatens suicide by gunshot to the head to get his wife to stop interrupting his date with an old friend, who just happens to be a sociopath and infamous assassin known as Shinigami the Third.
Kyoka ("Mother") - 20 year old catgirl who claims to be an ominpotent god, and given that she has psychic powers (she refers to the ability as "telephone", but it's mainly telepathy) that allow her to directly alter the workings of other people's brains, there is some justification for her claim.
Ginka (Oldest "son") - Normal human, normal meaning no supernatural abilities. Previously a member of a yakuza family, and adapt martial artist when needed, although he prefers being a flamboyant homosexual and cross-dresser.
Teika ("son") - Last of the Bister Kings, a race of intelligent, talking lions. Often lets Yuuka ride around on him like a horse.
Hyouka (Youngest "son") - Biological weapon (although he looks more like a cyborg or robot).
Gekka ("daughter") - Floating psychic electric jellyfish. spoiler[Actually the god of another planet, which she fled because another entity discovered here and fell in love, but she was afraid of committing to the relationship.]
Yuuka (youngest "daughter") - Apparently normal human, although she's the only person in the series who can eat Kyoka's cooking without ill effects. spoiler[Used by her previous family as a whipping boy. Extensively.]
Chika (oldest "daughter") - Completely normal human. spoiler[Yuuka's biological sister, and although she wasn't supposed to be part of the family, Kyoka arranged for her induction into the family to save her from suffering Yuuka's previous fate, despite Chika's initial appearance being for the sake of torturing Yuuka. Violently.]
mer2329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
i will sincerely miss this colum and and hopeing that you will make some when you have free time

good luck on your future endevors.
god speed
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
soulfringe wrote:
Psssh, this list does not have the Midarezaki family from Kyoran Kazoku Nikki, and is therefor invalid imo. Wink

I was about to say the same! The Midarezakis are a seriously awesome family of random people. XP

In any case, I wish you the best in your upcoming new opportunity Gia. ^^
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Aw dang, Gia's List has been my favorite articles since I started reading them. Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, so good luck and thanks for the great lists. I've always enjoyed the subjects of each list.
Possibly someone else can start something similar?

As for this list in particular, I echo others in being surprised the Tendo family from Ranma 1/2 and the Sohmas from Fruits Basket aren't on the list. I was really glad to see the Ushiromiyas from Umineko here though, they were the first family I thought of.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame you're not going to be doing these lists anymore,Gia. I liked them and I hope they return in the future.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Good luck on your new endeavor, Gia!

I pretty much believe that all royal families are dysfunctional, fictional and otherwise. I don't like Code Geass but the Brittanian Royal family is majorly messed up. Anime is chock full of crazy families, though, from crew of the Bebop (at least they're ~mostly~ lovable, especially the youngest kid (Ed) and the dog), to any family in which combining the kid with the family pet is a thing.

My personal list would include the Sohmas. And that family from Ceres: Celestial Legend are really creepy.

Seeing Eastern Europe on the list made me actually laugh out loud! Razz

The Poll: I voted for Jinrui/Humanity Has Declined, but, wow, Sword Art Online is really popular. I generally avoid shows that involve video games since I'm not a gamer, so I have to ask: Is the show accessible to non-gamers? Maybe I'll give it a whirl
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
You'll probably need to know some basic stuff about games, like what guilds and parties are, but you can pretty much figure it out as you go.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Best luck Gia, it's been fun reading this lists when I did read them.

I agree the Ikari family, now that was a messed up to say the least. I don't think I've ever seen a more messed up family besides that one and Shinji still ranks #1 in terms of Angst as a male lead.

But I always thought the Tendo family/Saotome family was crazy, but not in a bad way. Soun Tendo constantly had to deal with damages done his house, crazy times only that would occur in a late 80's, early 90's anime show and the fact there was never any quiet.

Kasumi Tendo probably had to be the most sanest person of that family, as she acted as if everything around her was normal. Talking cats, mystical martial arts, pigs that turned into humans, the whole bit.

The Saotome family was crazy only because they never received a moment's peace, as virtually every episode had Ranma involved in some sort of scheme, adventure or just caught in the middle of something.

But above all Gia, take care and best luck on your next project.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that this is your last list, it's been my favorite since I first joined, also if they were to have used older anime on this list I'm sure the family from marmalade Boy would have been in it.
Ddoddka_10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
Damn it!!! i missed this on the 22nd and only found it tonight ( and i was waiting for the next list Sad. The best thing about this site was Gia's list, im going to miss you a lot.

I hope you have a fruitful future
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I am almost tempted to watch some Bo Bo Bo to see his crazy family.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for the Sohmas here - and that's not including the manga material that didn't end up in the anime. At least three characters have serious enough issues that they should arguably be institutionalized, every single one of them should be in therapy, and only two Zodiac members, spoiler[namely Momiji and Hiro], are anywhere near mentally healthy. I'd say that's pretty dysfunctional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3