• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! Season 2 Blu-Ray Collection 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Narutards need to learn what a good escapist anime is. But they're too busy watching their poorly animated excuse of a shonen cliche when they could be watching something much better made and a whole lot more fun

Please. Maybe a show that is nothing but pandering to a fetish isn't worth peoples time.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Please. Maybe a show that is nothing but pandering to a fetish isn't worth peoples time.

What fetish? Cuteness? You can reduce any show down to such a simplistic level.

Also, why do you even care? You obviously don't like the show, no one is forcing you to watch it, so why should you give a damn if other people like it, other than the general "PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I DON'T AND I MUST RAGE OVER IT" reaction?
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

My point is the complete and utter lack of conflict. Stories need conflict. SOL shows tend to be mind-crushingly boring because they don't even have conflict. There's no conflict between the main cast, they never have any problems, it's just a solid horrendously boring stream of sickening and cloying optimism.

And yet somehow people still enjoy them. Amazing.

You may want to consider that just because Chagen doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that it sucks.

Alright, which one of you is Balki and which is Larry?

I think they're both Larry. Balki was actually affable.
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I consider this the artistic low point Of Japanese animation. It is the worst sort of pandering garbage that should never have left pixiv.

The artistic low point of Japanese animation? K-ON might be light fare but what did it do to deserve that? Sure it's cute and light on substance but it's also one of the most inoffensive anime I've ever seen. Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea (pun somewhat intended) but I can think of far worse anime that are much better contenders for being an artistic low point. Can I ask why you consider K-ON an artistic low point? Is it just the pandering? Because there are more than a few anime out there that pander a lot more and are of much lower quality than K-ON.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm starting to think the reason Aria doesn't get the same love despite having a damn-near identical premise is because Akari and the girls didn't pick up guitar.
Razz

Personally I can't stand K-On, but Aria is one of my all time favorites. Then again, I can't stand any other SoL shows either (Hanasaku, Tamayura, Hidamari... you name it). I don't know, I couldn't find the magic in any of the other anime in it's supposed close genre proximity. But I could find it in some other genres, like mahou shoujo anime and some other shoujo anime not revolving around love polygons. I also picked up a faint hint of it in the Atelier Arland games, but in K-On the amount of that magic was zero.
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I like my slice of life with actual conflict and substance, so I had a hard time finishing the first season (which is why I'm also not going to touch the second one with a ten-foot pole). But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

And yet somehow people still enjoy them. Amazing.

You may want to consider that just because Chagen doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that it sucks.

And just because you disagree with him doesn't mean that his reason for disliking K-ON!! is instantly rendered invalid. Then again, you seem to have severe issues with any opinion that doesn't match your own.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:

And just because you disagree with him doesn't mean that his reason for disliking K-ON!! is instantly rendered invalid. Then again, you seem to have severe issues with any opinion that doesn't match your own.

No, I don't. In fact, I go out of my way to not comment on shows I dislike, unless I actually have something relevant to add to the discussion.

If you are going to come into a thread about a show, and complain about its very existence, I expect you to have something better to back it up with than whining.

Edit (since people have the goddamn hardest time with this): I don't care that Chagen (or anyone else) dislikes K-On. More power to them. I care when they come into the thread and say it sucks, in which case their opinion has now been opened for debate.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Narutards need to learn what a good escapist anime is. But they're too busy watching their poorly animated excuse of a shonen cliche when they could be watching something much better made and a whole lot more fun

I like how people like to use the word "fetish" to when they talk about moé and shows that utilize moé. Might I ask what fetish K-ON! is pandering to?

I mean, I can certainly tell you what fetish Night Shift Nurses panders to, but it also helps that what Night Shift Nurses panders to is actually a fetish, and not just "I don't like this thing so I'm going to vilify it by associating it with deviant sexuality."
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Bingal wrote:

No, I don't. In fact, I go out of my way to not comment on shows I dislike, unless I actually have something relevant to add to the discussion.

If you are going to come into a thread about a show, and complain about its very existence, I expect you to have something better to back it up with than whining.

Edit (since people have the goddamn hardest time with this): I don't care that Chagen (or anyone else) dislikes K-On. More power to them. I care when they come into the thread and say it sucks, in which case their opinion has now been opened for debate.

He expanded on his critique and told you exactly what he did not like about K-ON!, which then got twisted and contorted on your part into an obvious straw man. You might want to look at your own advice and notice the specious reasoning behind fabricating his train of thought and falsely attacking his argument with misdirection by pointing out things he never stated nor even hinted at. ''You may want to consider that just because Chagen doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that it sucks,'' for example, is a blatant showing of substituting his actual position with something irrelevent, with something he never said.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:

He expanded on his critique and told you exactly what he did not like about K-ON!, which then got twisted and contorted on your part into an obvious straw man. You might want to look at your own advice and notice the specious reasoning behind fabricating his train of thought and falsely attacking his argument with misdirection by pointing out things he never stated nor even hinted at. ''You may want to consider that just because Chagen doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that it sucks,'' for example, is a blatant showing of substituting his actual position with something irrelevent, with something he never said.

Quote:
My point is the complete and utter lack of conflict. Stories need conflict. SOL shows tend to be mind-crushingly boring because they don't even have conflict. There's no conflict between the main cast, they never have any problems, it's just a solid horrendously boring stream of sickening and cloying optimism.

This is, in fact, factually incorrect on multiple levels. K-On does have conflict, (albeit quite minor) and it assumes a number of things that stories "must" have that they, in fact, do not.

Additionally, extensively pontificating on a work you have not see very much of is always a danger. Which is why I don't comment on things I haven't seen or have seen very little of.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
albeit quite minor

Minor? $5,000.00 is a serious chunk of change in my opinion.

K-on has conflict. It just doesn't have villains. Of course, slice of life shows aren't supposed to have villains. But the conflicts are still there.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
albeit quite minor

Minor? $5,000.00 is a serious chunk of change in my opinion.

Ok, mostly minor.

And its not like they don't have Mugi or anything...
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this review! Carl seems to have a firm grasp of why some of us LOVE "K-On!!"

I was actually VERY impressed by the english dub. I had heard Many awful fan dubs. I think it's the best possible cast given the industry. The dub actually improved my enjoyment of certain characters. I was never really a Ritsu fan (in japanese) but Cassandra Lee gave her such a 3-D adorable pluck of cuteness that now Ritsu practically steals every scene she's in.

Christina Vee does a decent Mio (it could've been worse) but Mio will always be Yoko Hikasa. Same with Azusa - I like what Christine Cubanos did with her but then I saw the "K-On!" movie and Ayana Taketatsu just seals the roll everytime.

I was very impressed with Shelby's take on Mugi - She's is equal to Minako Kotobuki. Stephanie Sheh made Yui more tolerable - I never got the whole Yui fan crazy thing.

I can honestly say I don't think I would've liked "K-On!" very much if I saw it in English first - it is a pure Japanese experience in essence of MOE!!
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
This is, in fact, factually incorrect on multiple levels. K-On does have conflict, (albeit quite minor)

Not really. The only one I remember is when Mio got annoyed by Ritsu, and for a reason too. I thought, "hmm, I guess we'll see an episode of them making up". We didn't, the whole thing was just air that accidentally got into the episode by a directing mistake. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth, since I really expected to see such developments. And that is what K-On lacks. Moments, nice moments that just feel good. Situations and dialogues that give substance to the characters standing and chemistry. I don't even believe that the characters are friends with each other. Why would I? They were doing nothing but fooling around. There was nothing to learn about them or their relations. And that is because they stay in the comedy mode all the time.

Oh, and I do agree that SoL shows can and do have conflict. You just got to see it in the character relations and in their personal problems and how they contrast with the world around them. K-On didn't have this, though.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
And that is what K-On lacks. Moments, nice moments that just feel good. Situations and dialogues that give substance to the characters standing and chemistry. I don't even believe that the characters are friends with each other. Why would I? They were doing nothing but fooling around. There was nothing to learn about them or their relations. And that is because they stay in the comedy mode all the time.

This is pretty hilarious, seeing as how most people will have just recently seen the movie.

Trust me, you're wrong. Season 2 and the movie have plenty of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4