• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Confirms Dragon Ball Kai is Edited to Follow Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Let me get this straight, it's shorter? One thing that I know alot of people hated, myself included, is that battles dragged on. If they can make it briefer than I'm all on board.

You and me both, hon. Believe me, I'm a DBZ fan, grew up on it, but as much fun and awesomeness as it cranked out, you're absolutely right--one of the recurring snags with the show was that it spent so much time talking for the sheer sake of filling 27 minutes to an episode. If the new edition can minimize or even eliminate that factor, I'll ve jumpin' for joy!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Toriyama's atrocious character designs

I happen to think that Toriyama's designs are unique, fun, and have a lot of character to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I'd probably still gag over Toriyama's atrocious character designs if I tried to watch this new version, but if the twenty-minutes-of-yelling that I found so ridiculous in the only episode I ever watched is the exact sort of thing that's being removed, maybe I'll finally consider it having crossed the line into "barely watchable." Who knows...miracles can happen. Razz

How much experience you have with 80's anime? Toriyama's designs are pretty good & have inspired mangakas since. One Piece & Rave Master are obvious, as is the early Jing.

I have a decent amount of experience with character designs from that time period, yet I still hold that Toriyama's overall design ethos, particularly as exhibited in DBZ, looks for all the world like Down's syndrome patients hyped up on steroids. Though I was initially put off by Oba's designs in One Piece, I soon grew to love them...in contrast, the more I see of Toriyama's work, the more distasteful I find it. Let me put it this way: I'm currently enjoying the heck out of Chrono Trigger despite his character designs, not because of them. Razz
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
KAAAAAAAAAAA
(10 minutes later)
MEEEEEEEEEEEEE
(10 minutes later)
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
(10 minutes later)
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
(6 episodes later)
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Please let this be good. The original Dragonball will still always be the best, though Very Happy
KDRudy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This will be great. The only "filler" episode I hope they keep around is the driver's license episode, it is so great.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Does this mean audiences don't have to suffer through the Garlic Junior Saga again?!

Call me crazy, but I actually liked the Garlic Junior Saga. I thought it was pretty cool that Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo were the only ones defending Earth while everyone else was turned into evil vampire-like things.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Now if only they'd edit the series so that it ends with the Freeza saga. Then it would really adhere to Akria Toriyama's actual vision of the series.

Or have Gohan defeat Buu like Toriyama originally wanted.
raidou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
dragon ball kai huh?;well it will be intresting to how long it will take for it to be localized in the U.S. or if it even will be localized for that matter;but they never released "the plan to eradicate the saiyans" OVA so I wouldn't be suprised.
i guess we'll wait and see.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
No more dragged-out fights this time? What a relief--I don't see why the original series had to have Goku and company take over 9,000 episodes to fight one guy.

Won't be too surprised if FUNi snatches this one up; they and Toei seem like they'll milk DBZ until that cow implodes upon itself like a neutron star.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
As much as I appreciate the idea of "quicker" DBZ I can't help but worry about all the content they will take out and the fact that it might eventually be lost.

I'd much rather have a choice of both cuts of the series available in the remastered format.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
I'd much rather have a choice of both cuts of the series available in the remastered format.
Oh yeah? Check out this little ditty I just made.

DVD vs Jump OVA.

If the Jump OVA tried as hard as I see here,copying the original almost to a tee,I going to be stoked.(I was tempted to show Funi's current "fake ass widescreen",but what's the point?)

I can't wait for Kai.

raidou wrote:
"the plan to eradicate the saiyans" OVA so I wouldn't be suprised.
i guess we'll wait and see.
Good one friend,you still get points for that though.Unlike most of the people around here,I am an actual Otaku,and will be more than happy to set you on the right path.You are talking about DBZ games for the Bandai Playdia from 1994.What you have probably seen (or more likely downloaded) is a collection of all the cut scenes from both Dragon Ball Z: Shin Saiyajin Zenmetsu Keikaku: Chikyuu-Hen/Back side and Dragon Ball Z: Shin Saiyajin Zenmetsu Keikaku: Uchuu-Hen games.They were both well animated for the time and had gameplay similar to Dragon's Lair.(If you were wondering why it repeats itself).One can easily mistake these for anime but trust me,they are nothing more than in game cut scenes.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not surprised that most are excited for a shortened version. I'm not though. I feel like part of what made the show what it is that it did drag things out.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm not really into this whole "let's redo everything to that it closely follows the manga" trend, because I think it means less originality. I am looking forward to a less nonesense version of Dragon Ball Z, but I hope they don't do this for everything.

I wonder if this means less shots of birds flying in the sky.

So true....

for example I think the current Batman movies would have been terrible if they followed the comic plot-lines to closely. That's why I say that Batman is based on and inspired by the comics and not a literal adaptation of them.

So in this case it would be better for anime to be based on and inspired by something over a literal translation. At least allow the director to give you his interpretation of the work.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
So....... this'll be like those Abridged Youtube videos? Laughing

mrsatan wrote:
Sounds like good news to me.
Very curious to see this.
I always wondered why the U.S. distributors didn't edit it down when they first aired it on US TV;

Added to the previous edits, then watch the DBZ otaku riot and burn the streets! Laughing

MH Knights wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
Now if only they'd edit the series so that it ends with the Freeza saga. Then it would really adhere to Akria Toriyama's actual vision of the series.

Or have Gohan defeat Buu like Toriyama originally wanted.

Y'mean, Gohan defeat Cell. Twisted Evil
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Here's the first preview for the series with subtitles. More to come
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4