• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Google Search to Downgrade Sites With Copyright Removal Notices

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Most of the stuff available on Hulu is also available through FUNimation's website, Netflix, Crunchyroll, and VizAnime (though they might use Hulu embeds, not totally sure. I'm personally not a fan of Hulu's video player

Viz doesn't have their own player. They only use Hulu embeds.

Netflix Canada doesn't automatically have everything the U.S. site does, and that carries over to anime as well. From what little I have heard from those in Canada that have Netflix, it doesn't stream nearly as many titles as the U.S. version.

Hardgear wrote:
Polycell wrote:
They can't ignore them - acting promptly on takedown requests is the biggest requirement for DMCA safe harbor protection; you have to assume they're correct.

Ugh, well that explains it. The law itself is stupid in that it does not provide penalties for false accusations.

There are penalties for false accusations, but they require paying lawyers first, which typically means the "little guy" can't or won't bother. That doesn't mean it never happens:
http://targetlaw.com/consequences-of-filing-a-false-dmca-takedown-request

The best recourse comes first: Filing a counter notice, which results in the material going back up, and requires the party that claimed it infringed to take you to court.

The bar for filing a counter notice is apparently no higher than filing the DMCA notice:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-24/power-rangers-owner-taking-down-youtube-videos

Fortunately, most people that are actually infringing lack the knowledge or desire to file a counter notice (because perhaps they know they are usually dealing with a company with the resources to pursue legal action). Unfortunately, many that get hit with an unjustified notice also don't know they can file a counter notice, or feel the other party would still pursue legal action and lack the resources to defend themselves, even though they are in the right.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I have been working in Web the past couple of years, and have heard horror stories of companies abusing DMCAs to hurt their competitors. Or hell angry ex emploies are the worst.

I know of one guy who fired his PR person, and the PR person turned right back around and filed a DMCA take down on his old employer's site, because quote "I wrote all the copy on his blog." Which of course was his job as a PR person. And the crazy thing was it freaking worked! The guys had to lawyer up and everything!

The DMCA take down system needs some major work, especially before google starts using it to punish people also. The general idea isn't bad, but the execution needs some major work....
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Huh? Absentee parenting, like "I don't want to have to put any effort or responsibility into this"?

No. More like "I'm too lazy to read the links so do it for me". Similar to how parents want the television to remove any sort of material the condemn just because they can't be bothered to watch over their kids.

Quote:
That sounds much more like the pro-piracy stance than the support-the-artist stance.

How so? Do elaborate.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
google please, lower those illegal manga websites to page 9999. If you search for anything manga, they are always first page, that's crazy.

Yeah, but they also have a lot of really really obscure unliscenced shit, which is basically impossible to get unless you can read japanese.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
There are penalties for false accusations, but they require paying lawyers first, which typically means the "little guy" can't or won't bother.

Of course they won't bother. The maximum "award" is $1500, and anyone who understands how these cases can drag on for years will understand why most just cave in.

In addition, most don't win. They either drop the suit (and pay damages) or end up bankrupt.

While people falsely believe piracy hurts businesses, the true fact of the matter is the DMCA process has ruined more businesses than piracy has to date.

ChillingEffects and the EFF both have statistical data to show how terrifying these takedowns are to small businesses, let alone people who have no clue they're "infringing".

Since someone mentioned YouTube's process, it's important to understand how they do it, because it's using a system called "ContentID", and it's so flawed, it takes down NASA videos, which is not only public domain, but no one should be able to claim copyright on it. Yet, the video of the Mars landing has been taken down a staggering three times now.

The ContentID is being abused as well, as businesses are claiming copyright on stuff they don't even own. What's worse is foreign companies are also abusing the system while making absurd claims to "broadcast" rights.

Google can do whatever it wants to its listings, as people are already aware they've been manipulated for years now to benefit those who are selling things, rather than being informational. Of course, how people type in a search makes a difference.

It's a shame they're the only search engine out there that's still open. Yahoo and Microsoft both take payments for their list ranks. Hell, Bing is so desperate for users it's willing to pay people to use it. If you own an Xbox 360, you can even earn awards for using it.

That's just pathetic. But I've no worries. I'm pretty sure there's a group out there that's working on an open-source search engine to replace these now owned by corporate interests. Now it just requires a little patience.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Piracy FTW! Strongly against any action towards my reliable anime/manga sites, hulu, crunchy, funi are ok but it's a pain to watch stuff there. Second I hear of a better search engine bye google
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
My use of Google Search will likewise be downgraded.

This is what happens when you get your fingers into too many pies. A Search Engine is supposed to help you find sites that you are interested in finding, NOT acting as an extension of law (or copyright) enforcement.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Yeah, but they also have a lot of really really obscure unliscenced shit, which is basically impossible to get unless you can read japanese.

But, the thing is it'll help stop things like having the first 4 search results for "One Piece Manga" being scanlation hosting sites.

All the obscure crap will not be harder to find for those who want it. And the general public will have a much easier time to find legal alternatives.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Well, I'm highly against piracy. I don't think it's fair to the people and companies producing the material, and I don't believe anyone's entitled to these shows. I support adding some very loose guidelines to the internet if it's going to be so important in the future, but nothing too strong of course. I think these measures are appropriate. They aren't shutting down the sites, but they are discouraging their actions.

You're right, no one is entitled to those shows, so like all other data they will be copied.

The "guidelines" you would apply to the internet is vague, but regardless all such rules affect the choices of actual people, either being backed by threats or the use of physical force. This is unwarranted merely because you are "highly against" something.

If by "these measures" you refer only to the google search downgrade then I take no issue with that in and of itself. But the only reason google is doing that is because they are under threat of the confiscation of money and property that is theirs that they believe will occur if they don't go along with this. If this were purely voluntary, it would have occurred a long time ago.

It involves more than just me be being "highly against something". Piracy is flat out illegal, and if it involves taking these kinds of measures, then so be it. I know Google isn't necessarily doing it because it's the right thing to do, but I whole-heartedly support them in doing this.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Viz doesn't have their own player. They only use Hulu embeds.

Netflix Canada doesn't automatically have everything the U.S. site does, and that carries over to anime as well. From what little I have heard from those in Canada that have Netflix, it doesn't stream nearly as many titles as the U.S. version.

That's what I thought, and it is strange that Hulu isn't available in Canada. Usually streaming rights include US and Canada.

As for Nexflix, and other ways of viewing content, I'm sure there are several other legal sites to view anime, including Crunchyroll, YouTube (legal uploads from distributors), and ANN (which has it's own player for viewing many titles available on Hulu), and even if a particular show isn't available for legal streaming (this applies to anywhere BTW), then we have to simply remember that we are not entitled to viewing any show for free.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

It involves more than just me be being "highly against something". Piracy is flat out illegal

That's not a reason in and of itself. There are all kinds of bad laws, do you follow them all and advocate enforcement of bad laws?

I assume you believe the law is justified because you are "highly against" the act of copying some things, which is question begging if the reason is the law itself.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
What's worse is foreign companies are also abusing the system while making absurd claims to "broadcast" rights.

I've seen this in a number of Anime clips on Youtube claimed by several different companies. Starz Media seems to have most Ghost in the Shell stuff locked down tightly, even the Japanese-language only stuff. I've seen 5 different companies claim various Neon Genesis Evangelion clips as their own.

Even in non-anime stuff as well. At one point, a record company (EMI? Warner Brothers?) was claiming every single clip of C'était un Rendez-vous was theirs cause some stupid band used the footage in one of their crappy songs.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Given that YouTube says an old Fleischer Superman cartoon(public domain) belongs to a German company, I'd say it's safe to say it's broken(especially since we're talking about Viacomm(Paramount, which commissioned them and later acquired the studio) and WB(DC) as the "legitimate" 'owners' if there were any here).
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

It involves more than just me be being "highly against something". Piracy is flat out illegal

That's not a reason in and of itself. There are all kinds of bad laws, do you follow them all and advocate enforcement of bad laws?

I assume you believe the law is justified because you are "highly against" the act of copying some things, which is question begging if the reason is the law itself.

What right have you to take the product of someone else's hard work without compensation?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
What right have you to take the product of someone else's hard work without compensation?

Tell me about how you've been paying Benjamin Franklin.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

Tell me about how you've been paying Benjamin Franklin.

Can't pay dead people
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5