• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eastwood's Unforgiven Remade as Samurai Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
On an semi-unrelated note, Abe Hiroshi (Thermae Romae actor, top left) is boss.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah, well American aren't big fan of foreign film and also Are you not aware Japan has been remaking American films since 2008 (or are you in denial that Japan/Asia has never remake American films), how do you explain that?

(Hollywood has been remaking Japanese films (and I would assume the inverse is true) since at LEAST the 1950s)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
OH yeah!!! Warner Bros is behind this project. It's very strange how most of the remakes in Asia were produced by Hollywood Studios Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil.

Rolling Eyes everyone spewing 'hypocrisy' doesnt seem to realize that a lot of these remakes are driven by Americans in the first place. plus when Asia does it it's usually not in an attempt to racially clense something. America can remake Dragonball but still cast an Asian as Goku, since there's a lot of Asian actors here, but they don't, they make him white so the average movie goer will go to it. there's not exactly a lot of white actors in Japan since its a very homogenized country. trying to say it's the same thing is hypocrisy doesn't really address the key problems people have with these films, which is usually whitewashing and keeping Asian actors down in Hollywood. Japan shows American movies subtitled in their theaters, something that is practically unheard of for America doing the opposite with foreign films. its nowhere near the same kind of thing -_-;

Wow, look at this guy, and he said I'm bias once. Pot meet kettle? It is exactly the same kind of thing buddy boy, whether you choose to accept it or not. Being an apologist doesn't change reality, and the reality is you have one side doing the exact same thing as the other, and those with a bias refuse to acknowledge it or come up with excuses as to why it's justified in one situation and outright evil in the other. It's blatant fanboyism and extends well beyond even just "whitewashing" or "yellow-washing" or whatever stupid term people decide to use to fire themselves up over nothing. Heck, you need only look at anime adaptations like "Gankutsuou" which "anime-washed" (I guess you could say) a literary classic. Not up in arms about that one now are you? Of course not, because in that case you were the one being catered to, rather than the fan being ignored.

It's a freaking stupid argument, all of it. Everybody does it, they've all been doing it for hundreds of years since cultures have mixed. You know what? They're going to keep doing it. Just because some fanboys decided to delude themselves in to believing perfection exists amongst what they've adopted doesn't make reality any different. You'll see it in the US, Europe, Russia, Australia, Japan, China, and if there were aliens on the moon you can bet your ass they'd be doing it too. You'll see it in all mediums, whether live-action, animated, literary, and so on. These arguments border on the moronic at this point because it really seems that people get a little too eager to attack someone else and bury their heads in the sand when it comes back at them. I swear, some of the selective reasoning present here is worse than politics.

Not to mention, this exact same discussion coming up again in another thread completely shouldn't even be happening. Is it going to be that everytime a cross-culture adaptation shows up the same people are going to overrun the thread with this exact same discussion. I can tell you right now that isn't going to fly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah, well American aren't big fan of foreign film and also Are you not aware Japan has been remaking American films since 2008 (or are you in denial that Japan/Asia has never remake American films), how do you explain that?

(Hollywood has been remaking Japanese films (and I would assume the inverse is true) since at LEAST the 1950s)

Yes and Japan (and other part of Asia) has also remake films before 2008.

-Korea remake the Ring as the Ring Virus.

-Japan remake the 1959 french film, Hiroshima Mon Amour into H-story in 2001.

-in 2000, Kiyoshi Kurosawa remake Seance on a wet afternoon into Seance (Japanese: 降霊, Kōrei).

-The 1994 Hong Kong film, Mermaid got married is a remake of the 1984 American film, Splash.

Why does is it matter how long US remake Asian films? A lot of countries remake films whether domestic or foreign. It's common, it's not a US thing.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
OH yeah!!! Warner Bros is behind this project. It's very strange how most of the remakes in Asia were produced by Hollywood Studios Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil.

Rolling Eyes everyone spewing 'hypocrisy' doesnt seem to realize that a lot of these remakes are driven by Americans in the first place. plus when Asia does it it's usually not in an attempt to racially clense something. America can remake Dragonball but still cast an Asian as Goku, since there's a lot of Asian actors here, but they don't, they make him white so the average movie goer will go to it. there's not exactly a lot of white actors in Japan since its a very homogenized country. trying to say it's the same thing is hypocrisy doesn't really address the key problems people have with these films, which is usually whitewashing and keeping Asian actors down in Hollywood. Japan shows American movies subtitled in their theaters, something that is practically unheard of for America doing the opposite with foreign films. its nowhere near the same kind of thing -_-;

Wow, look at this guy, and he said I'm bias once. Pot meet kettle? It is exactly the same kind of thing buddy boy, whether you choose to accept it or not. Being an apologist doesn't change reality, and the reality is you have one side doing the exact same thing as the other, and those with a bias refuse to acknowledge it or come up with excuses as to why it's justified in one situation and outright evil in the other. It's blatant fanboyism and extends well beyond even just "whitewashing" or "yellow-washing" or whatever stupid term people decide to use to fire themselves up over nothing. Heck, you need only look at anime adaptations like "Gankutsuou" which "anime-washed" (I guess you could say) a literary classic. Not up in arms about that one now are you? Of course not, because in that case you were the one being catered to, rather than the fan being ignored.

It's a freaking stupid argument, all of it. Everybody does it, they've all been doing it for hundreds of years since cultures have mixed. You know what? They're going to keep doing it. Just because some fanboys decided to delude themselves in to believing perfection exists amongst what they've adopted doesn't make reality any different. You'll see it in the US, Europe, Russia, Australia, Japan, China, and if there were aliens on the moon you can bet your ass they'd be doing it too. You'll see it in all mediums, whether live-action, animated, literary, and so on. These arguments border on the moronic at this point because it really seems that people get a little too eager to attack someone else and bury their heads in the sand when it comes back at them. I swear, some of the selective reasoning present here is worse than politics.

Not to mention, this exact same discussion coming up again in another thread completely shouldn't even be happening. Is it going to be that everytime a cross-culture adaptation shows up the same people are going to overrun the thread with this exact same discussion. I can tell you right now that isn't going to fly.

you are being bias if you can't see what the clear difference is between these two situations. Even mdo7 admitted America is not big into foreign films while Japan is. Japan casting a Japanese in Thermae Romae is because there is not a huge supply of Italian actors in Japan. it's not because they felt an Italian lead would make people not want to see the movie like they did in Last Airbender or 21 or any similar movie here. those casting decisions are primarily grounded in the idea white America will not see a film starring an Asian lead.

your logic reminds me of those people I see who complain why we have black history month but not 'white history month'. it's not some simple eye for an eye scenario here. you can walk into a Japanese movie theater and see Avengers dubbed or subbed if you wish. there is no latent racism there like there is here. bringing up anime only hurts your side of the argument more. you can have anime about any culture, gender or path of life. there's barely any cartoons about black people on TV, and the only ones about asians are the ones that try to cash in on anime. You really do seem to be blind to the differences in the industry if you can not even acknowledge this fundamental differences in the way one country's media is more open than the other.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
And someone pulls the racism card...
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

you are being bias if you can't see what the clear difference is between these two situations. Even mdo7 admitted America is not big into foreign films while Japan is. Japan casting a Japanese in Thermae Romae is because there is not a huge supply of Italian actors in Japan. it's not because they felt an Italian lead would make people not want to see the movie like they did in Last Airbender or 21 or any similar movie here. those casting decisions are primarily grounded in the idea white America will not see a film starring an Asian lead.

your logic reminds me of those people I see who complain why we have black history month but not 'white history month'. it's not some simple eye for an eye scenario here. you can walk into a Japanese movie theater and see Avengers dubbed or subbed if you wish. there is no latent racism there like there is here. bringing up anime only hurts your side of the argument more. you can have anime about any culture, gender or path of life. there's barely any cartoons about black people on TV, and the only ones about asians are the ones that try to cash in on anime. You really do seem to be blind to the differences in the industry if you can not even acknowledge this fundamental differences in the way one country's media is more open than the other.

Yes, and Asia is remaking American films, because people in Japan (and rest of Asia) are not watching American films as they used to just like we don't watch Japanese films, hence why they're remaking American films (along with Hollywood giving back Asia for all the remake we did to their films). Also you complain about Hollywood whitewash yet Japan does similar, and you never complain about that. Japan casting Japanese actor as Roman is no different from what you said about Hollywood. You never even complain about when other Asian countries adapt anime/manga into live-action. Tell me how is Shinichi Gotō becoming Oh Dae-su for the live-action Oldboy any different from Shinichi Goto becoming Joe Douchett for the American remake? Boys over Flower got adapted into TV shows in Taiwan and Korea, how is Makino Tsukushi becoming Shan Kai (Chinese) and Geum Jan Di (Korean) not a whitewash.

You see AmpersandsUnited, I can tell you're one of those Pro-Asian naive person, you always bash US for hurting Asians, yet when Asia does something similar you would never insult them. You just lost legitimancy and credibility when you act like a hypocrites. I never seen you attacking Asia when they do something similar that Hollywood would do. This is just like how haters of US remake of Asian films never attack Asia when they remake American films like Chagen46 described on page 1 of this topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
And even if you say oh well changing the character from Japanese to Korean or Chinese isn't a problem because they're still Asian, it is. Race relations between those countries aren't exactly perfect and there are people who do get offended by it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

I see the differences you claim, I just don't see them as defining as you claim. There are many hundreds of blatant factors involved in what you're pointing out but you are focusing only on one perception that perfectly fits your justifications for how you have decided you want to see things. The US film industry is the biggest in the world and the most widespread, so obviously an established market in other nations is going to play their films; so that's an irrelevant point. There are also plenty of actors from numerous nationalities available all the time, many actors work internationally nowadays and most established actors have roles they've done for film industries across the globe. Heck, even Hollywood has a large contingent of international actors from all over the globe. And people won't see films with Asian leads? Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, etc would beg to differ.

No, what we have here is your obvious racist or prejudiced view of US markets and US citizens which you are ironically displaying in your effort to claim that the US is racist. Telling me I'm racist because I do not accept your point of view which is itself prejudiced is an extremely magical and insulting leap. Sorry, but the simple reality is that everybody does what you claim, every market and for largely the same reason. Playing the apologist and trying to make it in to something other than what it is in order to justify something that you don't want to be true doesn't change reality. If the market there were as open as you claim they wouldn't need this remake, or any of those other remakes they have been making for decades. Plus, frankly, if you think there is not inherent racism prominent in Japan really demonstrates a one-sided view, because Japan is pretty famous for xenophobic tendencies beyond the confines of major tourist sectors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
And even if you say oh well changing the character from Japanese to Korean or Chinese isn't a problem because they're still Asian, it is. Race relations between those countries aren't exactly perfect and there are people who do get offended by it.

Remember on the other thread I believe Enurtsol said and I'll quote him:

Enurtsol wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Nationality =\= race

you know Koreans are still Asians, right?

Heheheh, that can actually be quite insulting to some Japanese - they don't identify themselves as Asians. Laughing

Also, some Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese are insulted when Westerners just group them together, like they all look the same. Remember the controversy when they casted Chinese actresses for Memoirs of a Geisha........ They were insulted that Hollywood is insinuating that just because they're East Asians, that they could just be interchanged with each other and be none the worse for it.

I believe Enurtsol is correct (and you are also correct), it doesn't matter if Chinese, Korean, or Japanese are Asian. There are tension between each other like what's going on at the Senkaku Island. Also I recall this article I read today about how internet cafe in Korea are putting signs forbidding Japanese people. Also in Japan, there are racism against minority like Zainichi Korean, Burakumin, and people of Okinawan descent.

I always wonder why people complain when US do live-action movie based on anime/manga, it get a lot of hate and flak, but when it's other Asian countries (and Japan) does it, nobody criticized it. Just because Japan and Asia does live-action anime/manga does not mean it'll be great, the live-action Negima was horrible and that live-action was made in Japan and to apply AmpersandsUnited's logic, Negi and Evangeline should've been played by a caucasian, not Asian. Maybe if Japan and UK had team up to do a live-action Negima, it could've been better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3