• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see this show but Funimation really knocked it out of the park on this one in terms of speed of release anyway. Eden of the East might have been a better choice but you can't have everything amirite?
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
If Phantom can be subbed before it's released in Japan, why does it take MULTIPLE days to sub FMA?
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
You people need to stop your nitpicking. Mad

This is great news. So thank you, FUNimation. You guys are awesome. Smile
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like FUNimation removed all the episodes from the server.

Hm...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Good job. While I wish it was on Hulu or Crunchyroll because Funi's player just doesn't work well for me, I'm glad this is being simulcast. I can stop watching the fansubs now.

Arghh I hate Funi's player. My computer is pretty powerful but for some reason if I ever click on the "Full Screen" option on any flash video player, the framerate goes to crap. Crunchyroll's has an option that lets me enable hardware decoding and when I do that, Full Screen works perfectly. For Hulu, I can make a window that just the video file and stretch that to the full screen and it plays fine (stretching to full screen goes perfect, clicking full screen is crap... wtf is wrong with flash video?).

I commend Funi for the effort but this is useless for me.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the upload Funi Very Happy But they really need to get a better video player.

Last edited by taster of pork on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
You people need to stop your nitpicking. Mad

This is great news. So thank you, FUNimation. You guys are awesome. Smile

I concur. Some of you are really being picky about this show, complaining that it should of been this or blah blah blah. This is great news! Airing here before Japan gets to see it none of the less. Thank you Funimation, you guys are starting to make me feel like how I felt during the anime boom a couple of years ago Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, if today is to set precedent, they had the episode available for streaming before the episode even aired in Japan.
Even the fansubbers that claim to have subbing programs that sub in real time (the guy claimed it was like a Star Trek universal translator too) can't beat the Texas Overlords to the punch if it's on their site before it airs in Japan!

Talk about a homerun move. Also, maybe the ad revenue is better than we'd thought if there's enough to share.

Jarmel wrote:
If Phantom can be subbed before it's released in Japan, why does it take MULTIPLE days to sub FMA?
One Japanese company is giving them the materials to work with faster than the other? Just a thought.

ChibiGoku wrote:
Looks like FUNimation removed all the episodes from the server.
What are you talking about? I'm loading episode two of Phantom as I post this.

I'm not seeing any removed episodes.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's odd. They were removed not that long ago and now they're back. They were removed when I posted that.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe some kind of brief loading glitch? Much as I like it, the video portal is a tad. . . twitchy. Nothing a little more tweaking can't fix and nothing to make it unfriendly to users but it does have some quirks on occasion.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Maybe some kind of brief loading glitch? Much as I like it, the video portal is a tad. . . twitchy. Nothing a little more tweaking can't fix and nothing to make it unfriendly to users but it does have some quirks on occasion.

it's also the day FMA comes out, so you probably have thousands of people at their webpage watching that, which I'm sure doesn't help website twitches.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hey Lance! Why no love for the UK and Europe? We want to buy FUNimation and Japanese things too.

Though it's certainly unfortunate for the mainland, I think we're already getting quite a bit of love in the form of the Funi video vault. I expect Revelation would need to pick up the pace for things to improve on the DVD front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Completely off-topic but is Europe considered it's own licensing for streaming/DVD zone or are licenses still for the individual contries? (I mean, is a license made for, say, the European Union or for the 27 or so countries in it?)

Anyway, I hope to see more deals like this before the year ends. Getting the show before even the Japanese get to see it is kind of a shock and a half. As long as this is turning out to be a profitable move and it gets more anime licensed and released, maybe even with a lower required number of sales before profit level, then it's a great thing.

Who knows, maybe this sort of thing could make the niche titles that people so often lament the profitability of more viable.
calimike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
New Streams Revoulationary!!!

Funimation vs. Crunchyroll Rolling Eyes

I like both Laughing
joystick1101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Funimation should put this and FMA 2 on Hulu, joost and their youtube account as well as their video portal, like with shikabane hime, so that there's less stress on the server so the video loads better. If the current number of viewers is divided like that we could all get an even better viewing experience. It took me an hour just to watch FMA because of load time, an hour wtf?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6