• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

No Asuka listed, is that because she doesn't appear in the first movie at all?

Yep, no Asuka in the first movie.

Last edited by Mikuru on Sun May 24, 2009 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
zalbik

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I am in the minority but I honestly could care less if anyone was recast for their roll or not because in the end if the script is butchered it does not matter anyway. I am glad though that the dub is finally being done.
Apterous

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
All I saw in this news post was "blah blah eva blah blah UNEDITED SGT. FROG IN SEPTEMBER!"

Seriously, why is the biggest and most important information in this news post a footnote?
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked AWL's version of Rei. I suppose I can get over it though. Hopefully can get this when it comes out.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
My friend is so going to be happy about the Sgt. Frog news...

I can't wait to see the movie! I'm not going to care about Zac's review about it.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
KhakiBlueSocks wrote:
tempest wrote:
GATSU wrote:
FUNi probably doesn't want to pay ADV extra for its dub cast.

It's very unlikely that ADV has any sort of contract with the actors stating that they can't reprise these roles in another company's production.

-t

Especially when you consider that 99% of the original cast reprised their roles in "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion".

I'm glad they were able to get Spike Spencer and Allison Keith back in their original roles. Part of me is not suprised that AWL (Amanda Winn Lee) was not going to come back: rumor mill has it that she's having some issues with her young son.

A few of the VAs from the original cast couldn't even return for the DCs that ADV handled, so any expectations for a reunion were pretty far to being with for the Rebuild movies.

That said, the cast list looks quite good and well-chosen. It's very great to see Spencer and Keith-Shipps returning, and it should be interesting to hear them voice their characters in a more serious/straightforward and less jovial light. Swasey did a good job as Gendo in the DCs, but I wasn't completely bowled over because his voice didn't fit it all that well, though things may be different here. As for Rei, Palencia is a great pick given how well she has done in a number of roles featuring quiet, mild-mannered characters in varying degrees.

Going back to the point earlier, the movie operates less on the expanses of melodrama from the series and instead relies on a more emotionally-controlled drama. FUNimation's done better recently in playing their dubs straight and not overdoing it on emotions, so hopefully that holds up with Eva 1.0.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Seriously, any dub of Evangelion would be passable as long as it's got Spike as Shinji, Allison as Misato, and Tiffany as Asuka. Everyone else is kind of interchangeable. But hopefully Brina is enough of a doppelganger for Amanda as Rei as Bridget Hoffman was for Hynden Walch as Nia in Gurren Lagann.

Agreed, while it's ashame they haven't gotten a majority of the cast back I'm extremely grateful they got the familiar voices of Shinji and Misato back as they had such particular sounding distinctive voices for each of their characters, along with a few other characters like Asuka.

You're probably right FaytLein, which would be really sad as it'd be a real shame if they can't figure out a way to get Tiffany back as Asuka when it's time for 2.0. She's got such a specific sounding voice for her. The second movie's probably still so far away for us that maybe they could spend extra time over these next months figuring out a way to make it happen, LOL.

Either way I can't wait for the release and I'm especially looking forwards to the eventual release of the second movie with Asuka.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat May 23, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
All I saw in this news post was "blah blah eva blah blah UNEDITED SGT. FROG IN SEPTEMBER!"

Seriously, why is the biggest and most important information in this news post a footnote?

I think Eva is slightly bigger than Sgt Frog, but I could be wrong. At least the references are being kept i, I'm just curious to see how the dub turns out i any name changes were made. If there are, well I might not be a happy camper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I think Eva is slightly bigger than Sgt Frog, but I could be wrong.

Get out of here, next you'll be saying humans require oxygen to survive. You and your crazy theories! Wink

In all seriousness, yeah, I think Eva news will generally attract more ears than Sgt. Frog news, though arguably Sgt. Frog deserved its own news article.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I think Eva is slightly bigger than Sgt Frog, but I could be wrong.

Get out of here, next you'll be saying humans require oxygen to survive. You and your crazy theories! Wink

In all seriousness, yeah, I think Eva news will generally attract more ears than Sgt. Frog news, though arguably Sgt. Frog deserved its own news article.

Your right Sgt. Frog does deserve it's own news article, but at least getting mention of it, is good enough for me, though I once an official release date is announced other than "September" that I will get me pleased. Now hopefully a Funi sale at TRSI doesn't happen until a release date is announced.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Now hopefully a Funi sale at TRSI doesn't happen until a release date is announced.

They just had one a few weeks ago (my order should be in Tuesday, yay!), so I imagine the September solicitations for FUNi should be up before the next FUNi sale.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not all that upset with Rei being recast. Brina Palencia is a good choice to replace her.

The way she voiced Eve from Black Cat is a good comparison to how she will probably do Rei. I think she fits the role rather well.

As for the rest of the cast, I'm very pleased with them. Shinji, Misato, and Gendo were the 3 main VAs I was hoping to make a return.

Now all that's left is that, if they manage to acquire You Can (Not) Advance in the future, that they get Tiffany Grant to reprise Auska.

Last edited by R315r4z0r on Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
There are really only 3 standouts from the original dub that need to be in the rebuilds. That's Shinji, Misato and Asuka! Everyone else can be replaced no problemo! Now that Shinji and Misato are checked off, we need Tiffiny as Asuka, God in His heaven, and all will be right with the world...
merr

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
You're probably right FaytLein, which would be really sad as it'd be a real shame if they can't figure out a way to get Tiffany back as Asuka when it's time for 2.0. She's got such a specific sounding voice for her. The second movie's probably still so far away for us that maybe they could spend extra time over these next months figuring out a way to make it happen, LOL.

Funi's worked with Tiffany Grant plenty of times in the past (e.g., as Nojiko in One Piece), so I don't see any reason why they couldn't get her back for the next movie.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
you KNOW Asuka's VA won't return

...Wha? What on Earth makes you say that? Do you have any idea of how Asuka obsessed Tiffany Grant is? I would say she's almost guaranteed to come back as Asuka for 2.0.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8