• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Busters! Anime's Ads Aired Featuring Natsume Siblings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
LB! isn't an eroge.

Well, the original game wasn't.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This property is inscrutable to me. It's the damnedest thing, really. I've tried reading about it and I've watched this trailer, but although I can tell that it is on some level 'a big deal', I can't grasp why. Something about it is impossible for me to wrap my brain around. This isn't some noisome, "oh no, high school students and moeblobs again!," moan, it's the most oddly genuine bafflement.

Come launch time, there's bound to be a wave of disappointment, no matter how well the anime is executed. Little Busters may be hyped, but it's an uneven ride, with the really great parts concentrated toward the end.

It happened with the visual novel. It'll happen with the anime.

Chagen46 wrote:
That's incredibly bizarre. Isn't the appeal of Key the girls mainly?

Along with the story, the girls are usually a major appeal. LB is a bit of an oddball in that some consider the heroine writing to be average at best, whereas the male characters are particularly colorful and well developed.

Quote:
And most people who play both it and clannad say LB is better.

Not universally. Definitely not the Japanese audience (and Maeda himself), who tend to regard Clannad as the pinnacle of the studio's lineup.

Zepy's comments more or less illustrate the general reaction at launch:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071029155106/http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/09/little-busters/

Those who quit early gave disappointing reviews on Amazon and other sites. Most who finished it were satisfied.

LB is a combination of Key's lowest and highest points. Rin2 and Refrain are loved by most players, but the rest of the game (I'm speaking of the original release and not the expanded EX version) tends to elicit a mixed response. I wasn't too impressed myself (IMO, the "common route" is okay but the heroine stories/scripts suck), so I can only hope that viewers who dislike the start are patient. There's a big payoff in store.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
About maeda - i heard the opposite where he thought LB was the work he was most proud of. And in the american fandom LB is regarded as the better of the two in japan yeah its about 50/50. Personally i loved the common route. Kuds arc wasnt that bad and i liked everyone elses. I loved rin2 and refrain is god tier. And while clannad had bigger launch sales LB's many ports outsold clannads many ports.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
It's Clannad, unless he has since changed his position. Wikipedia even references this comment (describes Clannad as a wall that he'll never climb over again), which Maeda made a few months after the LB launch. Clannad was perfected over four years, and he wrote most of it himself.

Key went through troubled times during the development of Little Busters with people leaving (composer Magome Tagoshi, CG supervisor Miracle Mikipon, all sub-writers) and Maeda too depressed/burned out to be interested in future development (which is why he began delegating so much of the scenario work, even to a new hire with no experience). He did push himself to improve the EX release, but his role in the company was never the same again.
AxemRed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
...in the american fandom LB is regarded as the better of the two...
Which American fandom would that be? vndb.org has Clannad rated (very slightly) above LB.
minuore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="Yerld"]
Surrender Artist wrote:

Not universally. Definitely not the Japanese audience (and Maeda himself), who tend to regard Clannad as the pinnacle of the studio's lineup.

Zepy's comments more or less illustrate the general reaction at launch:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071029155106/http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/09/little-busters/

Those who quit early gave disappointing reviews on Amazon and other sites. Most who finished it were satisfied.

This is really intriguing to me, although I consider myself a fan of Key. From that link, it's news to me Key is actually in a state of turmoil. It's weird to the point like reaching the final goal only to fall back down hard. What about Rewrite?

Well for the anime, can only hope it won't be half as bad and expecting at least 24 episodes with few OVAs. (I'm afraid to hold high hopes and end up hating myself and everyone for it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3