• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metrocon Posts Statement After Founder's Arrest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
ClocktowerKyon wrote:
The fact that this came up FOUR YEARS AFTER is suspect. Isn't there a law somewhere that says that 'if something isn't reported after a certain amount of time, then the argument is moot'?

I don't know about Florida, but my state (and most others, I believe) has a statute of limitations of 5 years on this type of "crime"

Why should the length between incident and notification be a cause of suspect? If that was the case, then the Catholic Church would not be having the problems that it has now.

Also, the info (type in name, erase date if one shows up on your screen and click on submit) that can be found freely online is truly frightening.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Why should the length between incident and notification be a cause of suspect?

Since it becomes hard to verify years later. Optimally, the girls body should have been examined right after the incident, and anything found, put into evidence. Three or four years later? Good luck with that. It suddenly becomes her word against his. There may be more to this then we think though. For all we know she has been gathering evidence and witnesses for the past few years and she just didn't want to deal with it when she was still in high school.

hikaru004 wrote:
Also, the arrest information that can be found freely online is truly frightening.

Yeah, I posted a link referencing that on the first page. Must be a Florida thing. No way in hell could a random person get that information where I live.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Since it becomes hard to verify years later. Optimally, the girls body should have been examined right after the incident, and anything found, put into evidence. Three or four years later? Good luck with that. It suddenly becomes her word against his. There may be more to this then we think though. For all we know she has been gathering evidence and witnesses for the past few years and she just didn't want to deal with it when she was still in high school.

Playing devil's advocate again. Why are you assuming that the minor is female? So far the gender is not confirmed, right?

If there is a child as a result of the incident, then they don't need to gather too much evidence. They only need the paternity test results. Then again, if there are photo and film records that's another issue.

There was even a separate site for the mugshot. Truly frightening to see how little privacy one really has.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
OK, Just cause anime girls are 16 or 17 doesn't mean you can play with them in real life...

IIRC, Yoko Littner from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is 14. And she has boobs that would put any stripper to shame!!

JLightstar wrote:
In the years I have lived in Florida, I have never heard of this law the way it's phrased. "Carnal Intercourse with Unmarried" . It sounds like a law that was written back in the day and doesn't really make sense with the definitions in the statues listed. It should just be stated as " sexual battery on a minor." This part of the statue confuses the heck out of me.

Many laws on the books are sometimes written with good intentions, yet as time goes by, the laws are either not updated a/or thrown out on the grounds that, in the simplest terms, are just plain stupid. And by default, the cops won't even enforce said laws!!

Where I live, there are rules governing ride heights of trucks. Yet, I see lifted trucks tool around, clearly in violation. The Cops don't even bat an eye.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Playing devil's advocate again. Why are you assuming that the minor is female? So far the gender is not confirmed, right?

Why are you assuming there is a good chance the minor is not a female. Sure gender has not been confirmed, but considering 99.99% (pulling a number out of thin air which probably isn't far from being accurate) of these cases involve female victims, I feel safe in assuming the victim was not a male. If you want to hold on to that 0.01% chance of the victim being a male, so be it, but don't expect others to.

hikaru004 wrote:
They only need the paternity test results.

Huh? What good would a paternity test do if the girl never got pregnant? Though, a slim chance this girl did have his child still remains, I hope that is not the case for both their sakes.

Smart guys who don't want to get stuck with kids use things called condoms, smart sexually active teen girls use a thing you may have heard of called birth control pills, and it could have just been oral or anal sex as specified by the law he is being charged with. Nothing in that law says it has to be vaginal penetration, it is just one of three possibilities for conviction. In any case, anybody hoping that a baby is involved has major issues, since that is an absolutely horrible thing to hope for... A child at such an early age would end up ruining the girl's life way more then the guy could ever repay.
Lothar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone in the US always freaks out about this kind of news. Elsewhere, no one would bat an eye at this. The minimum age of 18 is extremely rare for the rest of the world.

One could write a very large dissertation to answer why this freak-out happens in the US. Everyone from religious conservatives to psychologists to school administrators to journalists to politicians have had a hand in manufacturing this insanity for some sort of personal gain.

"Adolescent" a very recent concept that's not even a century old. Once these adolescents became a deskilled and consuming class robbed of any meaningful voice or social participation, they became sitting ducks for a form of neo-patriarchy that even so-called feminists could get behind = a school-prison-industrial complex engineered to "protect teenage girls" from themselves to serve very political ends.

Last edited by Lothar on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Sticky situation. By waiting four years to file a complaint, there will always be the suspicion that the "victim" did not feel victimized for 4 years and then something else may have made her decide to file a complaint. It could be something unrelated (ie: she' has an unrelated personal grudge and is trying to use this to get even), or it could be that something has changed her mind and she now feels that what happened was wrong.

That said, legally none of that matters. It would matter in many other crimes, but with issues of statutory rape (or whatever Florida calls it), it doesn't legally matter how the victim feels. Consent was never legally hers to give in the first place, so her current intentions are irrelevant.

hikaru004 wrote:

If that was the case, then the Catholic Church would not be having the problems that it has now.

Those are civil suits, not criminal trials. Statute of limitations doesn't apply in civil suits.

Quote:
Also, the arrest information that can be found freely online is truly frightening.
Agreed. He hasn't been convicted yet, but the whole world knows about the arrest and people are reacting to it. Even if it's a completely bogus claim, Metrocon and the con-chair are going to be stuck with this for a long time.

Ironic for press, but I place a great deal of importance on privacy, and I'm very disturbed anytime I hear/read report that names an individual who has been arrested. ANN specifically decided not to cover this event when we first heard of it, unfortunately Metrocon's public announcement left us little choice. I don't fault them for it, because while ANN wasn't going to cover it, others certainly were...

-t
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Ironic for press, but I place a great deal of importance on privacy, and I'm very disturbed anytime I hear/read report that names an individual who has been arrested. ANN specifically decided not to cover this event when we first heard of it, unfortunately Metrocon's public announcement left us little choice. I don't fault them for it, because while ANN wasn't going to cover it, others certainly were...

-t

But my links were obtained from other forums. If you guys didn't post it, it would have spread anyways. Being arrested and on TV means whatever the incident is , it's in the public arena now.

He's in a state that even teens are online seeking legal advice about sexual intercourse. He should have known better.

@cyberbeing: Why do I stress that unknown gender thing? Because we are in an age of same sex relationships. One can no longer assume that it is a heterosexual incident unless the media has verified it. Also, Florida is a state that banned same sex marriages and civil unions. An extra layer of interest on how this case gets resolved is added if the incident is a same sex one.
cetriya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I doubt its a male, since most have seen him around with female groupies. I've been to the con twice and both years I keep hearing every one that passes by my table complain about his 'girls'. If it did happen, I wouldnt be surprised that he was drunk or just assumed since a lot of us look younger then our real age. from the mug shot he doesnt look 40, several times have people question me if I go to collage or that my mother is my sister.

crap like this (not to say he did it) happens a lot at cons. seriously, a small con? I think metro packs about 2000+ and doesnt help that the place is shared with other conventions. To me, I tend to leave the con floor just before the rave starts.

I dont think this'll have much impact to the attendance so close to the date as much as what happened last year. That red bull and beer summer convention was hell. a bunch of drunk men hitting on minors and spilling things all over the place.

Also, there is way to many girls walking around at cons wearing some really bad/ un appropriate things thinking that they're safe because its a 'con'. If I see one more loli wearing tap only to cover her important bits..... *face palm*
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why people are so surprised about arrest records being public knowledge. It's not just in Florida. Arrest records are public records. Maybe people on this site are too young to have even touched a local newspaper, but you open it up and in the first couple pages you're usually met with a section dedicated to who in the area was recently arrested and why. The records can usually be closed if their release endangers an ongoing investigation. Since this can obviously ruin a person's rep the person arrested, IF found innocent of the charges, can usually ask to have the records sealed and claim they have never been arrested. It's not a new thing, and I'd be shocked to see that no one on this site has ever looked up a celebrity mug shot.

And how the heck is Florida changing the definition of marriage between a man and a woman fit into this topic? hikaru004: please quit trying to make Florida out to be this weird backwards hick state. It's a normal state, just like every other one out there despite what Fark chooses to highlight of it. I highly doubt that Florida is the only state out their with teens smart enough to look up legal advice about sexual situations. What sex the minor was DOES NOT MATTER. If they're a minor, details are kept away from the public. End of story. Homosexual relationships are not something unheard of here.

Do I see thing changing Metrocon's attendance at all? Seeing as it's one of the few anime conventions left in the state, and a good half of those attended are 18 or over... nah. Maybe minor attendance will drop somewhat in future years, but I really don't see much anything being different.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Arrest information of people in custody is easy to look up, but mugshots are not always provided online in every state. Such things do not appear in my local newspaper either.

For example it seems in California, mugshots are never provided online (it also seems that some only list felony or misdemeanor instead of the actual charge):
http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm
http://www.sacsheriff.com/inmate_information/
http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
http://www.ocsd.org/e_services/whosinjail/
http://www.placer.ca.gov/jail/jailreports/incustody_BN.htm
http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/SO/bklog/XMLProj/index.asp

Just because it is public records, doesn't mean it's always easy to access. Yet now that such things are online, less effort is needed to access and spread it, which has caused privacy has taken a bit of a hit. If his information wasn't available online, who here would actually make the effort to drive down to that sheriff's station, request a report, scan it, and post it online or alternatively call and record a conversation describing the charges? Not many.
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not affiliated with Metrocon. I can't make any responsible statements about the criminal accusations against Mr. Harms. However, I have been personally acquainted with Roy for over 15 years, and in his defense, I've always found him a decent, respectable, and trustworthy guy. Everybody has ups and downs in life, and I know that Roy has gone through some of both. I sincerely hope he comes through this one all right as well.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:

hikaru004 wrote:
They only need the paternity test results.

Huh? What good would a paternity test do if the girl never got pregnant? Though, a slim chance this girl did have his child still remains, I hope that is not the case for both their sakes.

Smart guys who don't want to get stuck with kids use things called condoms, smart sexually active teen girls use a thing you may have heard of called birth control pills, and it could have just been oral or anal sex as specified by the law he is being charged with. Nothing in that law says it has to be vaginal penetration, it is just one of three possibilities for conviction. In any case, anybody hoping that a baby is involved has major issues, since that is an absolutely horrible thing to hope for... A child at such an early age would end up ruining the girl's life way more then the guy could ever repay.

Dumb sexually active girls use only birth control pills. They should always make sure their partner uses a condom. AIDS and other STD's are forever.
Slick
hahacroz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The name of the accuser is Jessica Ramsey.

She has a post at
http://users.livejournal.com/dosed_by_you_/149403.html#cutid1
Where she rants about her disdain for the man.

She is 20 now and the alleged incidence occurred when she was 16 or 17. The statute of limitations on such a crime "does not begin to run until the victim has reached the age of 18 or the violation is reported to a law enforcement agency or other governmental agency, whichever occurs earlier." In which case you have 3 years to prosecute.

So basically this all supposedly happened about 4yrs ago and she waited this long to say anything. Had she waited 1 more years she would have been SOL.

The mistake that was made post incident was when Roy had contact after the "relationship" which from what I can gather was not friendly contact Roy should have filed a restraining order and made her out to be a loony before she ever came out with such allegations. That way there would have been a shadow of doubt in her credibility.

But, Oh well, to little too late.

Seriously people when your high profile and someone around you starts to get a little "creepy" it's time to file a restraining order.
tebalith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The mistake that was made post incident was when Roy had contact after the "relationship" which from what I can gather was not friendly contact Roy should have filed a restraining order and made her out to be a loony before she ever came out with such allegations. That way there would have been a shadow of doubt in her credibility.

This sounds a lot like you believe that it is a good thing to ruin the reputation of an underage girl in order to avoid punishment for a sex crime.
Way to make anime fandom look like a bunch of rape enablers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4