• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What got you hooked into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I read the same thing, actually. But inspiration doesn't mean copying. Noticed he said only the eye designs? That's because the rest wasn't worthy of an inspiration.
Razz

*pinches bridge of nose*

Ugg.

Someone really needs to go back and watch some early Disney movies, not mention early Mickey/Donald/Goofy shorts, before they make sweeping generalizations and dismiss out of hand great animation field pioneers. Like Walt Disney.

Tezuka certainly drew more inspiration from Disney then just 'bright wide eyes'. I've read early Astroboy, and the only think that always fascinates me is how much the character and his adventures remind me of early Mickey Mouse shorts (in particular the Slap-Stick aspects of Astroboy). Astroboy follows a similar situational formula as Mickey and his contemporary compatriots.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Aye I can't argue with that Mr Adventure. Disney was probably the greatest pioneer of animated cinema so everything was to a certain extent influenced by them i think. However I can understand why some people do not want to admit this seeing as what Disney has become. Which is a money milking, Americana, Politically biased, Generic, Droney bunch of mind melting, morally indoctrinating crap.

And glad to know I wasn't the only one bento box Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well when I was quite young (possibly around 7 or8) I didn't watch a lot of tv, a family friend around my age told me that one of the biggest fads at the moment was something called pokemon. And I was told to get up early so that I could watch it on tv, I did that and was kind of confused and intrigued, this was different to what I was used to. I became a big fan of the series and watched the simular series Digimon and Card Captors aswell, though I didn't really know they were any different from Ninja turtles.

A while afterwards the Dragonball Z became quite popular, though I thought it being so popular and it was just fighting would not interest me at all just like I have no interest in football. Well I decided to give it a try and I liked it, and since I soon moved and lost moring cartoons, I then ventured more on Cartoon Network and watched more series like Zoids. Though I never really learnet why these shows were different and after moving again I was left with only watching morning shows again.

I couldnt stem much more my viewing, and I learnt that anime is what I had been watching, and aparently it was mostly weired stuff that was often odd and often perverted. Five years latter I moved again I got the internet, after a few months I realised I could watch shows on it, that I had seen in morning, and hapend to also come across abridging videos. And I began with Death Note that I hapend to see a comercial of on a hard to get digital channell. I knew it was anime and upon watching it I became hooked on watching many anime, and I think first knowing it was anime DVD was Hellsing OVA 1. And been hooked since, so I have been hooked for about 1 1/2 years.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that it was Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z and Trigun that got me hooked. I saw Pokemon first, but I didn't really think of it as an anime at time.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Like Walt Disney.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Disney had the fortune of employing Ub Iwerks, one of the best animators and fastest available. Walt Disney had a hard time drawing Mickey Mouse until he died.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wow this is like the tenth time this topic came up. Oh well why not answer this question again and probably 6 months later.

One word. Toonami. Yu yu hakusho. Enough said. Still regarded as one of the world's best anime. Well I did see pokemon first but didn't get into it like most people did. Played the game. They banned it in some countries because of it's addictiveness. Wasted 2 years of my life playing gba.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
The year was 1996, after a fierce battle, Vegeta stepped out of the rejuvenation chamber where an alien doctor stood awaiting the sadistic napoleonic prince's revival. With a flex of his bicep and a flash light, the doctor was incinerated.

Also, I believe there was screams of awesomeness involved.

First scene of my first show ever. I've been hooked ever since.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
After that I remember watching a few anime shows that I can't remember the names of one was a weird mecha anime where the hero was in a red glider that kind of slotted into the head of its robot. The robot looked alot like the one from Mazinger Z however im sure it wasn't that show. Another was in some kind of post apocalyptic semi mystical setting. It was some kind of colony on an Alien world or something I just remember this scene with rows and rows of white cocooned people. That was the first animated scene ever to really give me the willies.

There aren't many robots like Mazinger around. If it was similar to Mazinger yet not Mazinger, there's only two choices I can think of... Great Mazinger and Psycho Armor Govarian. However, I'm almost sure neither of those shows ever came out in North America... Where did you see it?
ugzz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Back in 92-93 they opened up a Hollywood Video rental store in my hometown. They had a Very small anime section. I had never really seen any anime, but i was now 10 years old and still watching nothing but cartoons. i could of cares less about live action shows. I thought well, why not. The movie my friend and i chose to watch was: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers, Again.

I had to leave when there was still about 30 min left. and never got to finish the movie. Even so, something was brewing from that day forward. Over a year later i found that movie for sale at a blockbuster. I picked up the vhs and took it home and watched it. From there i picked up just a small amount of anime here and there. By the time i was 15-16 and actualy started working and having money i probobly had only around 10 anime or so. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Armitage, MAcross 2, Ninja Scroll and a few others.

Once i started getting money and we got high speed interent it got out of hand and i started watching anime alot. I didn't realy get into watchign anime near daily until i was 18 and had moved out on my own. for the last 8ish years i have been watching anime on a weekly sometimes daily schedule. if i get into something watch out. i stayed home from work for a day a month ago and watched like 20+ eps of soul eater straight lol.

and its all thanks to macross 2 lovers again, which is even better becasue so many macross fans write it off as crap because its not part of the story. but i still love it to death
synn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
I used to watch american cartoons on CN.later found out about beyblade then FMA and later mushi shi and bleach. So that way i got into anime interests.
wicked86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say, that while my first anime was Pokemon like alot of people's, I don't think I entirely knew the word at the time and it hasn't really had much of an influence on my future viewing choices. That being said I still do try to enjoy the show when I can catch just to see whats going on with it.

The show, however, that truly made me decide to start watching more anime is Dragon Ball. I started watching a few months ago with the release of the season sets and have been enjoying every bit of it ever since. I don't watch alot of similar shows to it, but it has gotten me to start watching more anime than almost anything else.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
@ Redleader I saw this show when I was living in Kuwait and like almost all videos in the country at the time it was probably a pirate so it could have come from anywhere im afraid Anime hyper. Though it was definately dubbed. I will check out those titles though.

Edit : It was Great Mazinger ta for giving me the warm comforting glow of nostalgia this evening good sir Anime hyper
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
No problem! ^^ It's always comforting to find someone else whose had a taste of the ol' Super Robot Spirits. ^^ Of course, if you'd like to add some new memories to that nostalgia, keep your eyes open! Hopefully, this coming TV season, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen will be succeeded by Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Raijin Hen! ^^ My only hope is that they make Kouji and Tetsuya work together rather than just tossing Kouji aside like they did in the original manga and TV series.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
MY first anime was Dragon ball z.i watched it on cartoon network every evening when i was 6 years old.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2, about 11 years ago.

Saw some video tapes in Media Play, begged my mother to buy them, and well, the rest was history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6