• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Record of Lodoss War OVA, TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Oh god, Record of Lodoss War TV. The series with the intro so beautiful it almost tricks you into actually watching the show itself.

I looked up to see who the director and storyboarder was for that TV opening and---surprise, surprise---it was the deliriously awesome Kazuto Nakazawa; one of my favorite designers and an all-around cool guy.

Nice.
Navak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Oh god, Record of Lodoss War TV. The series with the intro so beautiful it almost tricks you into actually watching the show itself.

Where were the warnings?

I went from the OVA to that, and then...I don't know what happened.

Just D:
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

It was well animated though, but frankly that's one of the things I care less about;

Have to suppress a chuckle here. I like Lodoss and all, but Lodoss OVA was/is infamous for its limited animation. Anyone want another panning shot of a dragon?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah-the chibi theater was cute. Made the OVA worth it for me.
naked Ashram.
kushiel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
My icon says it all.

You kids can have your Code Geass and Gurren Lagann and whatever the hell you watch these days, but you'll rip Lodoss from my cold, dead hands. OVA is pure quality. TV series? Uhhh, well, I adore it as the awkward, lamer brother. Crystania? I'm still wanting to read the script, because the premise was interesting, but the animation and voices killed it.

BTW, if anyone ever gets the chance, pick up the Lady of Pharis manga. It'll change your entire view of the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

It was well animated though, but frankly that's one of the things I care less about;

Have to suppress a chuckle here. I like Lodoss and all, but Lodoss OVA was/is infamous for its limited animation. Anyone want another panning shot of a dragon?

Oh great I am 26 and already going senile.

I saw it so many years ago (right after I saw the TV series on the original version of Toonami Jetstream that I must have forgot). I get memories of Deedlit's first apperance in which she comes out of nowhere and hardly moves.

Why the hell is the OVA held to such high standards again?

Personally the only thing memorable about Lodoss Wars is the TV series opening, and "welcome to Lodoss Island"
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised a company other than FUNimation managed to pick something up from CPM's carcass....

...well, I do think that Record of Lodoss War was one of the last actually memorable CPM titles that we were waiting for someone else to rescue.

Happy it's not feeding the FUNimation juggernaught
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I love Record of Lodoss War, but I already own both the OVA and TV series from CPM. As much as I love Record of Lodoss War, I am really surprised that they are releasing it. Record of Lodoss War is really old. Some of the fans are more into Naruto, Vampire Knight and other angsty teen oriented anime, they won't want this. But, perhaps Media Blasters is releasing Record of Lodoss War for the ones that have seen the anime and have wanted it, but never got it, or others that heard of it long ago but never got a chance to see it. That's my guess. I believe the same thing for the release of Trigun, which is an excellant anime all the same.

However, I may pick this up again, if has been remastered, ya know?

Last edited by Dark Elf Warrior on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Koji98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Probably because, at the time of its release, it was incredible. Now, this was when not much anime was getting released in the first place, plus having rewatched it last night, I thought the animation* was good. Not only that, I thought the story was alright.

*a lot of still images, yes, but they were pretty to look at, so sue me.

Nowadays, we have so much stuff that comes out that does indeed have great animation and story that makes the Lodoss OVA look dated. It's held in high standards due to nostalgia at this point. Not only that, but the genre has been played to death in many forms of media that nobody really cares much about good old fashioned knights and elves and dwarfs in a mystical land fighting dragons and what have you. People who watch it now see it as another fantasy story, while people who loved it back then see it as a trend setter.

Now, I can be wrong with all of this since I didn't go do research about old fantasy based anime from the 80's, so take this rant with a grain of salt.

/lounge chair anime enthusiast.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Because Deedlit and Maaya Sakamoto rule! Laughing

While it's nice that Record of Lodoss War got rescued, there are other younger gems still not over here yet. Where's Time of Eve? Where's Kaiba? Where's Negadon? Where's KaKuRenbo: Hide and Seek?

And.... Where's VOTOMS? Crying or Very sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This is so sweet. I get pissed at MB sometimes, but times like these keep me coming back(Moribito was the last). Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I know some folks who grew up with Lodoss who will be thrilled to be able to afford the DVDs again. Laughing
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Come on it wasn't THAT bad, its not like the same technique isn't overly used in today's anime, besides its over 20 years old, if you're going to give it grief for that you might as well give it a hard time for being Japanese. Wink

Charred Knight wrote:

While it does rank high on the nostalgia meter it is also a big part of anime history. I don't think most people realize just how BIG the OVA was in Japan, the first episode alone had its own traveling convention that went from town to town to sold out crowds that slept in lines outside of convention halls the night before. After they would show the first episode the voice actors, directors, basically everyone involved would come on stage and take questions. It may seem dated and unimpressive to newer anime fans but at the time it came out it was the center of the anime universe.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I watched over what 800 anime series including most existing 150+ episodes anime series and 400 episodes series but both Slayer and Lodoss War are the most influencing toward becoming an anime fan of the fantasy genre and anime in general. One thing that stayed to this day in my mind is the spell casting in those anime which is insanely cool Smile

I remember them as they were the fantastic RPG stuff all people loved back then when FFVI, Lunar and Dark Wizard were hot products Smile!

Following those was Berserk, the anime, at that time my friend was telling me "this is insane gore and the dude thrashes everything in his path. So much blood and dark scenes you got to see that one too!"

Played AD&D and wondered how a barbarian berserker would be? Heck ya, I was shocked haha Razz!

Lodoss War
Slayer
Berserk

Three anime that goes well together in the fantasy genre but totally different stories being told.

Last edited by Dakaran on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy this just for the opening. Hopefully it includes a creditless opening. I don't care about the rest. The only interesting character was the one possessed by the hate spirit(or whatever the name is), and, well, he isn't the main character. But I completely agree with Zac. Was it not for that opening I'd never have finished this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4