• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Graphic Novel Sells 66,000 Copies in First Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

1) Manhwa is Korean. Not necessarily South or North.
2) This is produced and published in the USA. It was scripted in the USA as far as I can tell. It's primary audience was for the USA (and, well, Canada and probably the UK). It just has a foreign artist. Thus, it's a graphic novel.
3) Yen Press published manga. It also published manhwa, graphic novels, light novels, and manhua, which are all often associated with manga. What they do is considered news to the manga/anime world, and this could be a breakthrough.

4. This isn't the first time they've done this (they also did the Maximum Ride GN I mentioned earlier).
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This is no reason to rejoice or make a big deal about a ridiculous attempt to reel in FAN GIRLS. Oh yeah BIG SHOCK that twilight is selling like hot cakes. This DOES NOT HELP the manga, or anime industry.

This is NOT manga
This is NOT japanese
This is pure fan-girl induced sensationalism, which is materializing itself as a "graphic novel", I'm so upset that THIS has broken the record for most copies in the first week.

This only shows how little interest there is on LEGITIMATE manga, and how the only thing that will sell is what ever is "in".
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Personally I couldn't care less about Twilight, but it's good that this is selling well, because this is money in the bank for Yen Press, money which they could use to license manga that I'd actually want to buy!
Yen Press does have very rich parents, the Hachette book group. I don't think this will change anything about how they operate except on the accounting books.

alexcampos wrote:
This DOES NOT HELP the manga, or anime industry.
All it takes is 1% of these fans to have never heard of graphic novels before and start buying them and it has helped the industry.

Quote:
This is pure fan-girl induced sensationalism, which is materializing itself as a "graphic novel", I'm so upset that THIS has broken the record for most copies in the first week.

The top selling "anime" and "graphic novels" are never anime and manga by your standards. They are always american spin offs like these. When you deal with a niche product, it is trivial to outsell everything with an existing popular franchise.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
This is no reason to rejoice or make a big deal about a ridiculous attempt to reel in FAN GIRLS. Oh yeah BIG SHOCK that twilight is selling like hot cakes. This DOES NOT HELP the manga, or anime industry.

This is NOT manga
This is NOT japanese

This only shows how little interest there is on LEGITIMATE manga, and how the only thing that will sell is what ever is "in".

Pfft, people have already explained things to you. Again: this is giving Yen Press, a publisher that handles mainly manga, a giant boost in profits, meaning they get more money to expand.

2nd: This has gotten tons of females now to pick up a comic/graphic novel, something comic book companies have been trying to get American girls to do for years and failed miserably at. Twilight or not, this is something for a supporter of comics to rejoice over. Not saying all those girls picking it up will continue getting comics, but very likely some percentage is.

I haven't looked at the graphic novel yet, but I'm hoping Yen Press has some strategic advertisements at the end with more shoujo-oriented titles to perk some of their interest in the genre.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, as a manga fan I feel sorry for the suckers who are shelling out $11.00 for this thing. My Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Manga is cheaper. I also read a review on Amazon that said the artwork wasn't that good and all the guys look the same and that they've seen better fan art. That's just sad.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
alexcampos wrote:

This is NOT manga
This is NOT japanese

Pfft, people have already explained things to you. Again: this is giving Yen Press, a publisher that handles mainly manga, a giant boost in profits, meaning they get more money to expand.

2nd: This has gotten tons of females now to pick up a comic/graphic novel, something comic book companies have been trying to get American girls to do for years and failed miserably at. Twilight or not, this is something for a supporter of comics to rejoice over. Not saying all those girls picking it up will continue getting comics, but very likely some percentage is.

I haven't looked at the graphic novel yet, but I'm hoping Yen Press has some strategic advertisements at the end with more shoujo-oriented titles to perk some of their interest in the genre.

I DISAGREE 100%

Big deal, Yen press will get more money, in the end they'll pursue whatever they think will give them sells.

Who's to say that Yen Press falls in love with EVEN MORE OELs and other American made stories and starts to go after them and neglect legitimate Japanese manga and light novels.

REMEMBER, only HALF of Yen Plus is manga, the other half are OELs and Manhwa.

The fact is there is still a HUGE selection of Japanese manga and light novel that has yet to be licensed.

HOW BAD DOES IT LOOK, that the best selling "manga" is an American adaptation posing as something THAT IT IS NOT.

I'm American and I love America, BUT keep manga to its origin: JAPANESE, not whatever becomes popular in the U.S with a bunch of fan girls.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

alexcampos wrote:

I'm American and I love America, BUT keep manga to its origin: JAPANESE, not whatever becomes popular in the U.S with a bunch of fan girls.

God. I am SO TIRED of this chauvinistic attitude about girls/fangirls and comics. What are men so afraid of? Is it because they don't like their little boy's club invaded? Confused YES, some of these Twilight fans could stand to learn a manner or two, but if I had a nickle for every socially retarded fanboy I've met, I'd buy my own manga company.

Get over it.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
alexcampos wrote:

alexcampos wrote:

God. I am SO TIRED of this chauvinistic attitude about girls/fangirls and comics. What are men so afraid of? Is it because they don't like their little boy's club invaded? Confused YES, some of these Twilight fans could stand to learn a manner or two, but if I had a nickle for every socially retarded fanboy I've met, I'd buy my own manga company.

Get over it.

You're missing the point, whether its fan girls or fan boys, THEY ARE BOTH HORRIBLE. To have any entity be dominated by these overly fanatical idiots is a bad thing.

If twilight were for example for men, and it would cause fan boys to go crazy, THAT WOULD BE JUST AS BAD. Look at what idiot fan boys have done to Naruto here in America, it's not just about fan girls it's about ANYONE who takes things to seriously.

Right now one of the biggest problems in Japan is socially reclusive people, AKA otakus who have taken their obsession to an EXTREME level. How does this begin: Being overly fanatical about entities that should be treated as hobbies not life.

Last edited by alexcampos on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

I DISAGREE 100%

Big deal, Yen press will get more money, in the end they'll pursue whatever they think will give them sells.

Who's to say that Yen Press falls in love with EVEN MORE OELs and other American made stories and starts to go after them and neglect legitimate Japanese manga and light novels.

The fact is there is still a HUGE selection of Japanese manga and light novel that has yet to be licensed.

HOW BAD DOES IT LOOK, that the best selling "manga" is an American adaptation posing as something THAT IT IS NOT.

It's not even being labeled as manga by Yen Press. Note the word "graphic novel" in the title.

And what's so wrong with manhwa? It's not Japanese, is that it? There are some truly great manhwa and manhua out there. Avoiding them fore the sole reason that they aren't manga is ludicrous. A good story is a good story, regardless. Laon, for example, is a wonderful manhwa that I'm enjoying, though only reading as the volumes are released here. And a million manga series out there have the same character depth as Twilight; that's why I'm so choosy.

I can also guarantee that Yen won't suddenly forget manga and light novels. Have you ever read one of there releases? They keep honorifics and Japanese references, color pages, plenty of translation notes. Their paper is probably the most high quality on the market right now. They are devoted to manga, but adaptations of popular novels bring in new customers and extra cash for licensing Korean, Japanese, and Chinese series. I'll admit I'm annoyed by them labeling Maximum Ride, The Clique, etc, etc as manga, but in the end I know they aren't, manga fans know they aren't, and we might get some new buyers. I'm all for expanding the market.

As for Yen Plus, the point of that is to bring in new readers. Manhwa has always had a bit more trouble getting buyers it seems, but graphic novels are read in the same direction and it would be an easier transition. I haven't found an "OEL" graphic novel I like, though had some interest in My Cat Loki before it was dropped. If I found one I liked, I'd buy it, and just call it what it was: a graphic novel.

Actually, Yen Press is often announcing new titles and the only publisher really going with the light novels, except for VIZ and Del Rey, who I've noticed only really release them if they're part of a popular series (FMA, Bleach, etc). TP and Seven Seas are pretty much done, with the latter having basically canceled the line entirely.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum~ Will Twilight be the doorway to manga for the uninitiated? What was holding them back before?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

You're one of those people that think everything Japanese is superior to things originating from other countries, aren't you? At the risk of getting ripped a new one (bring it!) lemme explain to you something.

Manga = comics. Manwha= comics. OEL=comics.
Comics doing well in general = AWESOME.

Comics are comics to me, and probably are the same to these girls picking up the Twilight graphic novels. I very much doubt the first thing going through their head is "this is Japanese" or what not, they don't care. It's a comic adaption of their favorite book.

Comics doing well with an rarely tapped source (aka teen girls) is a huge boost for the WHOLE comic industry no matter where the comic originates from. You have to realize that the comic industry for America has been trying to get girls reading comics regularly forever. If more girls start reading comics, more girl oriented comics will become more in demand. Guess what country has the largest selection of girl oriented comics for publishers to import? Japan.

I don't give a crap what country a comic is from as long as it's good. Yen Press is being genius in trying to break down this wall that Japanphile fans (and I guess some American comic fans are guilty for as well) have created between comics from Japan and everything else. This wall limits the demographic manga reaches by creating a stupid divide in the minds of buyers. Get over this thinking for the good of the industry. There's fantastic graphic novels not created by someone from Japan, and the more you expand the more comic fans can live in harmony and become more appealing to people not familiar with the medium.

Can the stupid OEL label die already? It's annoying.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

You're missing the point, whether its fan girls or fan boys, THEY ARE BOTH HORRIBLE. To have any entity be dominated by these overly fanatical idiots is a bad thing.

If twilight were for example for men, and it would cause fan boys to go crazy, THAT WOULD BE JUST AS BAD. Look at what idiot fan boys have done to Naruto here in America, it's not just about fan girls it's about ANYONE who takes things to seriously.

Right now one of the biggest problems in Japan is socially reclusive people, AKA otakus who have taken their obsession to an EXTREME level. How does this begin: Being overly fanatical about entities that should be treated as hobbies not life.

...Uh, the majority of these kids are exactly that. Kids. When I was their age, I was an "overly fanatical idiot" with Pokemon. I grew out of it and most people I meet nowadays have no idea how much of a hardcore nerd I am. Naruto/Twilight is what Pokemon was in the late 90's.

If you think this is somehow tainting the purity of manga, learn Japanese and get out of the American fandom. Rolling Eyes
Predatory_Instinct

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
One one hand, I agree with everyone in that it's selling well, and will therefore help Yen Press and maybe encourage more teens to pick up other and better graphic novels.

Then on the other I'm like, UGH WE ALREADY HAVE THE DAMN MOVIES WHY DO WE NEED A TWILIGHT GRAPHIC NOVEL TOO? IT'S THE SAME DAMN STORY THERE'S NOTHING NEW JESUS [expletive] CHRIST LET IT END ALREADY...."

So, I'm in between.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
alexcampos wrote:

You're one of those people that think everything Japanese is superior to things originating from other countries, aren't you? At the risk of getting ripped a new one (bring it!) lemme explain to you something.

Manga = comics. Manwha= comics. OEL=comics.
Comics doing well in general = AWESOME.

Comics are comics to me, and probably are the same to these girls picking up the Twilight graphic novels. I very much doubt the first thing going through their head is "this is Japanese" or what not, they don't care. It's a comic adaption of their favorite book.

Comics doing well with an rarely tapped source (aka teen girls) is a huge boost for the WHOLE comic industry no matter where the comic originates from. You have to realize that the comic industry for America has been trying to get girls reading comics regularly forever. If more girls start reading comics, more girl oriented comics will become more in demand. Guess what country has the largest selection of girl oriented comics for publishers to import? Japan.

I don't give a crap what country a comic is from as long as it's good. Yen Press is being genius in trying to break down this wall that Japanphile fans (and I guess some American comic fans are guilty for as well) have created between comics from Japan and everything else. This wall limits the demographic manga reaches by creating a stupid divide in the minds of buyers. Get over this thinking for the good of the industry. There's fantastic graphic novels not created by someone from Japan, and the more you expand the more comic fans can live in harmony and become more appealing to people not familiar with the medium.

Can the stupid OEL label die already? It's annoying.

THANK YOU for explaining what comics are!

WHY do you come to ANN, is it for AMERICAN cartoons, NO its because you have an interest and appreciation of Japanese animation and other Japanese entities.

I COULD CARE LESS, whether or not Twilight is popular, I have no interest in American comics, in fact I became interested in comics thanks to manga, NOT marvel or DC. I'm only interested in Japanese oriented manga.

Having said that I am neither bashing American made comics or cartoons, and I don't think that Japan is superior. Anime and manga have hurt them because of all the sexuality that is displayed on it.

I have read some OELs, and in my opinion they lack many features that make manga so great.

My main point is that a Twilight graphic novel selling like hot cakes does not make me happy, I don't believe it helps the industry *see my other comments*.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

THANK YOU for explaining what comics are!

WHY do you come to ANN, is it for AMERICAN cartoons, NO its because you have an interest and appreciation of Japanese animation and other Japanese entities.

My main point is that a Twilight graphic novel selling like hot cakes does not make me happy, I don't believe it helps the industry *see my other comments*.

If you're going to say that, then why come to Anime News Network for manga? They are completely different things. I'd like to think that Graphic Novels and Manhwa are related to manga in the same way manga is related to anime. Some people like one and not the other and sometimes one can lead people to the other and create a different fan. What's wrong with that? How is that a bad thing?

So many tweens out there have never heard of manga but know about comics and because Yen has both, they have a chance to see other things they like. The Twilight saga only has a few more years before it dies out and believe me, they are looking for another obsession. All it takes is finding Vampire Knight or whatever other shoujo is out there. Once you have a fangirl's business you're not going to lose it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8