• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animatrix's Studio 4°C to Animate New ThunderCats

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
A new Thundercats show seems pretty cool until you realize there are a group of people that exist now that didn't back when it was airing.

Furries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Peroxid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Dear Studio 4ºC

Please go back doing japanese stuff that we all love so much.

Thank you.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I just popped in the first disc to see if I could add any more of the Japanese credits. unfortunately - they have condensed the entire animation staff down to 8 people, without any specific job roles.
While the original was conceived of written in America it did have an anime "feel" to it - if I can find one of the upskirts of Wilykit the animators snuck in you'll see what I mean Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha this made my day. Of all the series that could be remade they pick Thundercats. Then again, it's not like it was an awful series. In fact I enjoyed it quite a bit growing up. And I suppose we are in an 80's pop culture boom. People are all excited to remember the old cartoons like G.I. Joe and Transformers, so why not Thundercats?

That said, why Studio 4C? This is such a random pick for what seems like it's suppose to be a mainstream child's cartoon. It's no secret that Studio 4C likes to be really weird and out there. I wonder how they'll handle this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
@Pandadice and Peroxid

The fact that Warner is funding this series shouldn't be frowned upon. Sure, japanese studios making regular anime for us is fine, but when so many fans are not buying anime and supporting the market enough, more of this kind of stuff is going to happen. Any elitist ideas of what is and isn't anime are pointless. So its not anime if Warner are funding it? Get over yourselves, that's pure bs.

Frankly, I'm happy about this. Thundercats was a cool series, that hasn't aged that well. With better writing, animation etc, it can be improved upon in many ways. On top of that, its a great payday for Studio 4oC, who will no doubt earn twice or three times as much money, if not more through this project for Warner. That I'm sure will make them happy, with the shrinking anime market in such a state. Work is work.

I think Warner moved on this project, because of Disney/Marvel's upcoming Wolverine and Ironman anime series, which will know doubt earn them much sales. Previous anime ventures have done well for Warner too. After the 7 part debacle that was Halo Legends, I'm glad that a proper series is being worked on this time, by one studio (yep, HL would have been so different if it had been done this way). The coincidence of the TC writers death is very shady though, especially considering he was technically homeless. Lets hope Warner give his siblings something good from this new series.

Something nice to look forward to in 2011. Now if someone would remake The Visionaries, I'd be over the moon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A new Thundercats show seems pretty cool until you realize there are a group of people that exist now that didn't back when it was airing.

Furries.

This comment pwns pretty much anything that could conceivably be said about this series. No amount of "ironic" geek nostalgia can counteract the horror.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:

That said, why Studio 4C? This is such a random pick for what seems like it's suppose to be a mainstream child's cartoon. It's no secret that Studio 4C likes to be really weird and out there. I wonder how they'll handle this series.

Eh, it's no more random or strange than Topcraft animating the original cartoon.

penguintruth wrote:

Furries.

Hahaha. Somehow I doubt the original series escaped their notice to begin with.....fortunately it's pretty easy to ignore a fringe like that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, the Robot Chicken revisions aren't enough?!
Bring on the Lunataks! Laughing

GWOtaku wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:

Eh, it's no more random or strange than Topcraft animating the original cartoon.

The crew that would later become Studio Ghibli? Confused

GWOtaku wrote:

penguintruth wrote:

Furries.

Hahaha. Somehow I doubt the original series escaped their notice to begin with.....fortunately it's pretty easy to ignore a fringe like that.

Shall we quote the great Geek Hierarchy Chart again? Laughing

KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this time, we'll finally know what a Samoflange is. Wink
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

To be honest though, I thought the show was a American made show. Considering the fact Tobin Wolf (a American himself) made the show in the United States. Although he did pass away in 1999, he made quite a well made show. I still remember the old line "Thunder Cats HOO" and still sounds cool even after all this time.

But what also intrigues me is the fact Cartoon Network is hosting a anime show despite the fact CN removed most, but probably not all, the anime on the station. I do find this hilarious or even perhaps ironic in some sense that CN licensed the rights to the New Thundercats (which does look cool based off the image in the article) and not Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Despite the fact that CN showed almost every Dragon Ball related except for obviously Kai, several OVA's and a couple of movies. I am not bashing anyone or CN, I am just stating the obvious. Maybe the new ThunderCats will bring in new and old fans alike and make some more revenue for them?

Nah it's not really confusing when you consider that Warner Brothers and Cartoon Network are owned by the same company, so it's more like one branch of the company "We're remaking a show, play it on your network." and the other going "Yeah, sure we'll get right on that." It's happened before with things like Justice League and Duck Dodgers so gasp doing it again shouldn't be a shock.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The crew that would later become Studio Ghibli? Confused

Yep. Topcraft had a beautiful relationship with Rankin/Bass while it lasted, really. In fact my personal favorite results of that isn't Thundercats at all but rather Flight of Dragons and The Last Unicorn, both of which I own on DVD now. Some don't like it, but I also have nostalgic memories of The Hobbit. Good times.

Also, nice chart.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
In fact my personal favorite results of that isn't Thundercats at all but rather Flight of Dragons and The Last Unicorn, both of which I own on DVD now.

The Flight of Dragons is (finally) out on DVD?

I must have been living under a rock at the time...but that's something I've been looking forward to, if mostly out of pure nostalgia.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
wait what? CG animation still counts as anime bro.

CG does indeed count as animation. However, there's a certain demographic (of which I am a part) to which the distinction is all but vague. I love anime, I'm open to Western animation, but for some reason CG of any type generally fails to amaze me.
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone down on how Thundercats holds up? Compared to Spongebob Squarepants, 6teen, & the other crap on Cartoon Network, Thundercats art work blows them away. Infact, many of the anime's today still take their art cues from Thundercats. I think for a cartoon done for the mid 80's, Thundercats still holds up graphically to the cheap & artless American cartoons of 2010.

When Toonami re-aired Thundercats, it became popular again and has lead to this new anime really shows how well the show holds up. If it was utter crap, we wouldn't even waste a breath on it.

Sure it was corny at parts but I appreciated the moral lessons included with each episode. It would be nice to have an anime we can show our young kids again without feeling compromised as a parent. Even my folks still watch my Thundercat DVD's with my kids, because of how good the anime still holds up today.

And Yes, I consider Thundercats an anime. It maybe an American idea, but it's artistry comes from Japan. The formula wouldn't have worked using American art.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Like I said on another forum, all I can hope from this one is that they can get back Masayuki to do the opening animation again. Can't say that I have any attachment to this show itself, but I always liked that OP.

I don't know about that... I mean Masayuki is helping Hideaki Anno on Eva movies, so I'm not sure he has time for it. Since Studio 4℃ is involved in it, I have feeling that at least it'll have great action animation and razor sharp character designs.

BTW I really didn't like recent animation character concept designs seen on various animation related sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5