• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! eps 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Really? Docking points for character design? Is it hip to knock on KyoAni for that?
Although Theron didn't do this, it's apparently in fashion to downrate KyoAni character designs for having small/mostly-invisible noses. And yet when people encounter shows like Utena, Escaflowne, or Fantastic Children where characters do have prominent noses, you hear quite a bit of "This might've been a good show, but I had to drop it after the first episode because of the NOSES." I don't understand it, either -- I guess character designers just can't win.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't understand it, either -- I guess character designers just can't win.

Of course they can win, just not with idiotic people. With the general fandom and industry they can win big time. Yukiko Horiguchi's K-ON!-style designs have been hugely popular with fans and fairly influential with industry players.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize their was another comedy besides Ixion DT that was solid this season. I guess I'll check it out, but is this show going somewhere with the plot or is it simple entertainment?
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I didn't realize their was another comedy besides Ixion DT that was solid this season. I guess I'll check it out, but is this show going somewhere with the plot or is it simple entertainment?

It's your average character-focused slice-of-life comedy, but better than most. The physical comedy and comedic timing is great, the character interactions kinda generic. If you find RIkka calling an ordinary object a supernatural object doesn't get old, you should be set.
Anyway, there's actually a surprising amount of character and plot development. If that's important to you, you should probably enjoy this title.
Also, the best comedy is Teekyuu.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
The plot kicks in starting with episode 7.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
ShinnFlowen wrote:

It's your average character-focused slice-of-life comedy, but better than most. The physical comedy and comedic timing is great, the character interactions kinda generic. If you find RIkka calling an ordinary object a supernatural object doesn't get old, you should be set.
Anyway, there's actually a surprising amount of character and plot development. If that's important to you, you should probably enjoy this title.
Also, the best comedy is Teekyuu.

@pollycell teekyuu

I'll drop Tonari for this show as it isn't as fun as it first started out. Thanks for the replies!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
^
Good call. We're almost at the end of Tonari, so I'll stick it out but Chu2 is the much better show.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. This review makes me nostalgic for when this show was enjoyable. Which was only like three weeks ago. I guess that shows how much the experience has been soured for me by the recent episodes.

On a more positive note, anyone watching this should make sure to also watch the Lite episodes. They contain some the series' best bits and have an OP and ED that put the main show's to shame.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
Sigh. This review makes me nostalgic for when this show was enjoyable. Which was only like three weeks ago. I guess that shows how much the experience has been soured for me by the recent episodes.

For those who haven't watched any of the series yet, this is a fairly small and not-very-vocal minority viewpoint. Most that I've talked to about the series have really liked what the most recent 3-4 episodes have done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Bob from Accounting wrote:

For those who haven't watched any of the series yet, this is a fairly small and not-very-vocal minority viewpoint. Most that I've talked to about the series have really liked what the most recent 3-4 episodes have done.

I'd have to agree with him that its not as good as the early going. Not that its become BAD... just that it was my top show of the season for the first 6 episodes, but its fallen to 2nd behind GirlPan because theres too much focus on drama now and not enough comedy and moe. Its still a really enjoyable watch, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's inevitable that some people won't like when a comedy introduces a drama element regardless of how well the new element is executed. For me, the drama stuff has been incorporated very successfully. Sure, the show could have continued on merely illustrating Rikka's "syndrome" and no doubt that would have been amusing, but I personally appreciate understanding the basis for it. I suspect if that subject was never broached, I'd eventually find the situation pretty trite, in the end.
Pfhor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the dramatic aspects have been handled very well so far, with the exception of spoiler[ the contrived scene where rikka slipped off the roof. I don't think rikka is actually stupid, so when she decides to go under the railing and walk on a slippery roof instead of the flat walkway she is sitting on it seems very uncharacteristic. It was an unnecessary setup to get them to hug at the end.]

This is still one of my favorite romantic comedies, Kyoani definitely knows what they are doing.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
...when characters are basically as stupid as possible for the purpose of being cute. RIkka annoys me, but she's quite well-written and has a wounded, desperate quality, as well as being more indulgent and silly in her fantasies...

Good point, Rikka does suffer from the "Stupid for Cuteness" tradeoff, and in her case it isn't just superficial. She has a reason for the way she is, it's very deep and somewhat dark. This aspect is used to bridge the later episodes. If Rikka's issue wasn't brought up eventually then the tradeoff would have been superficial and solely for the purpose of moe.

It does kind of feel early to bring up the issue though. Without their "fantasies" then this anime has to end. The first few episode's hijinks were definitely entertaining and it make me sad that we might not see more of that, but I guess that is what the lite episodes are for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
I read the review with the plan to complain about the reviewer being too harsh, but I ended up agreeing with basically everything said, it aint fair.

Also found some of the comments particulary good for how the second half has been, people wanting just comedy seem to be unhappy, but those of us that like drama being spliced in have been really happy. I especially like how Sanae was described as pure comic relief, many people were quite praising her over the latest episode.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I especially like how Sanae was described as pure comic relief, many people were quite praising her over the latest episode.

I haven't been online much this week nor looked up old threads now that I am, and that surprises me. I thought this episode demonstrated her total lack of characterisation and how she functions as a mouthpiece for the story's emotional side - spoiler["by the way, in case you didn't follow our nicely-done painting of RIkka as not satisfied, here's Dekomori to scream that she's actually unhappy at you"] - as well as just being insufferable and complaining like a giant infant.
Then again, I never liked her, so there is that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4