• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Anime to Run on G4 in the United States in 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that they are still on the way. I would have thought Marvel would have gone for a more of an online presence. TV is pretty dead as far as anime is concerned, but it should be interesting to see if these can give it a shot in the arm.

X-Men should prove interesting, the only problem I see with it is how many times this tale has already been told via series. I've seen a few over the years.

Blade I think has the best potential, as it'll have the current en vogue of vampires, and that mature feel many of us like from anime. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Love the look of Ironman, but its going to be ages til many of us see it. Wolverine, I hope doesn't turn out to be the cheese we saw in the previous trailer. I hope they done some redesigning on it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

uh, I believe Japan love American superheroes as much as Kamen Rider, Super Sentai (Power Ranger in USA). Did you forget about the Spider-man show created by Toei? did you forget some of our mangaska are big fan of Marvel and DC superheroes comic, some of them even did work for DC and Marvel:

How does mentioning people either doing their jobs or a few individuals liking something prove an entire nation loves American superheroes as much as their domestic ones. If TOEI Spider-man proves anything it is that Japanese prefer their domestic heroes so much that foreign i.ps have to be changed to mirror their domestic shows. TOEI Spider-man was Spider-man in name only.

Also I don't think it is a case of many people around here "forgetting" a show from 1978 that was not exported or advertised in the US. At most it is a dated factoid.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Well there is also the fact the Spider-Man movies did very well in Japan.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
what ages are the shows aimed at? i.e. how good/bad is the dialogue in the iron man anime. I suppose the fact that I even care means these probably aren't for me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I'm still surprised that these Marvel anime's will be airing in Japan before the US. Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's. And lets not forget these will all get fan-subbed and heavily pirated before making it over here.

Let's see if they take on the might of Marvel/Disney. Marvel and DC did recently shut down a major comics scan aggregator website. (And remember years ago, Disney threatened to sue a daycare with unauthorized painted Disney characters on the wall.) Laughing
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Iron Man anime G4 trailer - http://g4tv.com/videos/47623/Marvels-Anime-Series-Iron-Man-Coming-to-G4-in-2011/

I personally prefer the trailer done a year ago. =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Q7xgxDJh4

Wish they went with that art style and animation for the suit...
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
what ages are the shows aimed at? i.e. how good/bad is the dialogue in the iron man anime. I suppose the fact that I even care means these probably aren't for me.

I'm going to guess mid to late teens younger then the intended comic crowed. I am also going to guess that you won't see many of the political and social issues that are heavy in the comics being brought into the anime.

I am very interested to see how they treat X-Men, at its basics it is a story about equality and discrimination. If you take out all the plot points about racial, gender, religious, and sexual orientation there isn't much left but a generic action show.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

uh, I believe Japan love American superheroes as much as Kamen Rider, Super Sentai (Power Ranger in USA). Did you forget about the Spider-man show created by Toei? did you forget some of our mangaska are big fan of Marvel and DC superheroes comic, some of them even did work for DC and Marvel:

How does mentioning people either doing their jobs or a few individuals liking something prove an entire nation loves American superheroes as much as their domestic ones. If TOEI Spider-man proves anything it is that Japanese prefer their domestic heroes so much that foreign i.ps have to be changed to mirror their domestic shows. TOEI Spider-man was Spider-man in name only.

Also I don't think it is a case of many people around here "forgetting" a show from 1978 that was not exported or advertised in the US. At most it is a dated factoid.

ugh, you always find my post so you can have something to criticize me at. Look I believe the spider-man from Toei is on DVD in Japan.

Without this show, Super Sentai (Power Ranger in US) would not have giant robot. Actually, I read it somewhere that the producer for the Japanese Spiderman wanted the show to be faithful (I have the link but all I got is a 404 not found) to the original comic but Bandai wanted giant robot so that's why they change a lot in the Japanese version of Spiderman, blame Bandai. What evidence do you have that Japanese don't like Marvel and DC superheroes, Arsenic Steel? I'm sorry I don't really believe you unless you have evidence to back that up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
I saw the Wolverine trailer in Tokyo a year ago. I saw them at a Blister store in Shibuya. The concept was interesting. My beef is going to be how well the US voice actors will be. It should be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
Well G4 has aired the Sasuke tournaments (Ninja Warrior) and Kinniku Banzuke both as subtitled only broadcasts, this is probably what the programming director was referring to when saying that G4 has aired subtitled programming before.

Well it remains to be seen if these animated shows will be subbed. I am impressed with how they did Ninja Warrior. They remind me of the weird sports show on Fuji TV and TBS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Iron Man anime G4 trailer - http://g4tv.com/videos/47623/Marvels-Anime-Series-Iron-Man-Coming-to-G4-in-2011/

I personally prefer the trailer done a year ago. =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Q7xgxDJh4

Wish they went with that art style and animation for the suit...

That was my contention as well. I was excited to hear it was going to premiere in Japan in October...aaaaand then I saw the promo on G4...what is up with the CG of the suit?...it looks like some crap out of Blassreiter. I really had high hopes and was getting psyched about this after seeing the trailer posted a year ago that was supposed to "represent the art style for the show." It looked great...now we get more crappy CG anime mix?...like they think fans want to see this? The freakin' Iron Man Extremis motion comic looks better. Surprised to see Madhouse fail like this...their one of my fav. studios. Leave it to Marvel to get your hopes up and then f-up a good project.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Without this show, Super Sentai (Power Ranger in US) would not have giant robot. Actually, I read it somewhere that the producer for the Japanese Spiderman wanted the show to be faithful (I have the link but all I got is a 404 not found) to the original comic but Bandai wanted giant robot so that's why they change a lot in the Japanese version of Spiderman, blame Bandai. What evidence do you have that Japanese don't like Marvel and DC superheroes, Arsenic Steel? I'm sorry I don't really believe you unless you have evidence to back that up?

There isn't mecha in TOEI Spider Man BECAUSE it is Spider Man. Hell canon Spider-man does not have mecha like that. There is mecha in it because BANDAI wanted mecha in it. Mecha was placed in TOEI Spider man because Bandai wanted to go with the already established popularity of giant robots. So yes Super Sentai and any property Bandai was involved with at the time would have giant robots.

Quote:
What evidence do you have that Japanese don't like Marvel and DC superheroes, Arsenic Steel? I'm sorry I don't really believe you unless you have evidence to back that up?

I don't see myself making that claim. The person that made a claim that kind of resembles your bogus rehash is Oneeyedjacks. All he said was he "Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's. " to question why the new Marvel anime gets aired in Japan first. Looks innocuous enough.

You come out of left field with the idea Japan loves Western heroes followed by anecdotal factoids and people just doing their job as evidence. I can look at the shelves of any store in Japan and see there is some popularity in some Western heroes but love is an emotional exaggeration.

I am sorely lost on how factoids from 1978 are related to G4 or the 4 anime in they are going to air.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

There isn't mecha in TOEI Spider Man BECAUSE it is Spider Man. Hell canon Spider-man does not have mecha like that. There is mecha in it because BANDAI wanted mecha in it. Mecha was placed in TOEI Spider man because Bandai wanted to go with the already established popularity of giant robots. So yes Super Sentai and any property Bandai was involved with at the time would have giant robots.

That first sentence confuse me. As I said, Bandai threw in the mecha in Toei Spider-man because they wanted to and, originally the producer wanted Spider-man to be faithful to the comic, until Bandai jump in and requested Toei to throw in the mecha and the producers were forced to rewrite the plot.

Quote:
Quote:
What evidence do you have that Japanese don't like Marvel and DC superheroes, Arsenic Steel? I'm sorry I don't really believe you unless you have evidence to back that up?

I don't see myself making that claim. The person that made a claim that kind of resembles your bogus rehash is Oneeyedjacks. All he said was he "Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's. " to question why the new Marvel anime gets aired in Japan first. Looks innocuous enough.

You come out of left field with the idea Japan loves Western heroes followed by anecdotal factoids and people just doing their job as evidence. I can look at the shelves of any store in Japan and see there is some popularity in some Western heroes but love is an emotional exaggeration.

I am sorely lost on how factoids from 1978 are related to G4 or the 4 anime in they are going to air.

Well Oneeyedjack said something about if Marvel Comic superheroes are still popular in Japan. He may not have known about DC and Marvel Comic in Japan. So I gave him some information, geez why make a big deal out of my factoid. I don't see any other people complaining about my comment (only you). What you don't like me for a reason? You seem to target me for a specific reason whenever I make a comment. If a mangaka like DC/Marvel superheroes I like to point that out for western audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well Oneeyedjack said something about if Marvel Comic superheroes are still popular in Japan. He may not have known about DC and Marvel Comic in Japan. So I gave him some information, geez why make a big deal out of my factoid. I don't see any other people complaining about my comment (only you). What you don't like me for a reason? You seem to target me for a specific reason whenever I make a comment. If a mangaka like DC/Marvel superheroes I like to point that out for western audience.

I gave you the quote from Oneeyedjack. Let me do it again; " Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's." This does not look like he does not know about American comics in Japan. It looks like he is aware they are there but questions the relative popularity among Japanese fans. Stop with the emotional rollercoaster and self-victimizing. I am not picking on you or complaining about what you posted by saying I think your factoids don't don't connect with your assumption.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I gave you the quote from Oneeyedjack. Let me do it again; " Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's." This does not look like he does not know about American comics in Japan. It looks like he is aware they are there but questions the relative popularity among Japanese fans. Stop with the emotional rollercoaster and self-victimizing. I am not picking on you or complaining about what you posted by saying I think your factoids don't don't connect with your assumption.

Well when was the last time Oneeyejack check on that. Last week, 2 months ago, 3 three years ago? He didn't specified that part. If he check on that last week, then I would agree with him (with evidence). If he check on it 3 or 5 years ago, then he might not know what changed after 3 (or 5 years) after the last time he check the status of DC and Marvel comic in Japan and he would not be credible. I could always ask anyone living in Japan if DC and Marvel Comic are well-known in Japan currently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4