• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 9 Favorite Anime Holiday Songs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that there are anime Christmas songs. I'll admit,it's a little weird to me to hear them,considering I don't speak or understand Japanese in any way. But,they're nice anyway,so I'm not going to make to much of a fuss.
Akukame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you can find a decent version of the official music video, it's pretty hilarious. Mai Kuraki sings along with a very happy blues band at a rundown American karaoke bar.

That very happy blues band was actually her band. The band that she recorded with and toured with for her first like 4-ish albums (1999 to 2002). She originally started her singing career in Boston before being picked up by a Japanese record label. My understanding is that she still recorded in Boston and used the same band for her Japanese singles. It was actually pretty noticeable back then that none of her videos were recorded in Japan. All of the props and extras were american and a number of them contained like american flags and such.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
I can never really listen to a Kawai Eri song anymore... Her name is associated with a bit of personal trauma. I was in Japan in the summer of 2008 and had shook her hand at a very small concert in the local area. After that, I got really into her music and she became my biggest music obsession at the time. But the day I returned home to America, she succumbed to liver cancer and died pretty suddenly. To think the first famous Japanese person I met, just a few weeks before, loved by people everywhere, with a breath-taking live voice, was suddenly gone... It hit me pretty hard inside. ):
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3