• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Magazine: One Piece Creator Oda Made 2 Billion Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
No wonder he is dragging it out. Although after OP is over, I hope Oda doesn't think his next project will be as successful. But with OP's success who needs another manga project.

Well, a few years back Oda was interviewed and said he did not plan to do anymore long manga after One Piece. Instead he would do short series, one-shots, and special projects (like his idol Toriyama did after Dragon Ball.) Shorts and one-shots don't tend to make a lot of money, so I don't think he's expecting to create another mega-hit after OP, and probably doesn't care about making big money one it ends.

It's gotta be nice to reach that point as an artist where you're set financially and thus free to create anything you want.

Maybe he'll do like 20-30 chapter series?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
he probably make more than that. we forget about the movie, games and toys
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Oda will be going on a long break after the series is over. Doing a weekly serial for 10+ years can be taxing on one's mind. I'm pretty sure the series will still have another 10 years before it's over. If the time skip is the halfway point at 596-597 chapters, then it'll probably be another 500-600 chapters before it's over. Of course, it's all speculation. He might just try to speed to the ending, but that might cheapen the quality of the story unless he finds a clever way of doing so.

Every time I read a chapter with revelations central to the plot, it always amazes me every time, so I don't consider anything to be out of the question when it comes to Oda's writing.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Eiichiro Oda can now wear top hats and monocles and discuss with fellow partner-in-crime Akira Toriyama about the latest stocks and bonds. Smile

i lold.

screw all the haters.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Jure wrote:
I knew Oda was getting huge amount of money for OP, but I didn't expect it to be that much. Was OP always selling so well or is it just the last few years that it started breaking records?

I still hate this manga though...

it's been the most popular manga in japan for nearly 13 years, but recently, it's almost doubled in popularity. so it was already HUGE, and then it somehow became even huge-er?

it was a big deal when it passed dragon ball and slam dunk and harry potter's length and sales records, but after it broke the records and sold more than everything else, it snowballed into even bigger records. it's like almost 3 or 4 times more popular than the second best-selling series in japan now, and outselling every other novel in general in the history of the country. so it went from 'my god, this one piece thing is the new dbz' to ' this one piece thing is ridiculous' to ' literally everyone knows what one piece is or has read it. god reads one piece now; that's how unbelievably popular it is.'

it pretty much has no rival, which is kind of boring since worthy competition would make things more interesting. it would also make it more enjoyable to have more actual GOOD series to read in weekly jump.
rare_dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
I will not read or watch one piece even if he made 200 billion

....don't understand why you even wanted to post that? So you're not of the people that made him the 200 billion, to me that one less person to worry about when getting any type of cool new One Piece items like figures or special editions One Piece items Cool
Jure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
Jure wrote:
I knew Oda was getting huge amount of money for OP, but I didn't expect it to be that much. Was OP always selling so well or is it just the last few years that it started breaking records?

it's been the most popular manga in japan for nearly 13 years, but recently, it's almost doubled in popularity. so it was already HUGE, and then it somehow became even huge-er?

it was a big deal when it passed dragon ball and slam dunk and harry potter's length and sales records, but after it broke the records and sold more than everything else, it snowballed into even bigger records. it's like almost 3 or 4 times more popular than the second best-selling series in japan now, and outselling every other novel in general in the history of the country. so it went from 'my god, this one piece thing is the new dbz' to ' this one piece thing is ridiculous' to ' literally everyone knows what one piece is or has read it. god reads one piece now; that's how unbelievably popular it is.'

it pretty much has no rival, which is kind of boring since worthy competition would make things more interesting. it would also make it more enjoyable to have more actual GOOD series to read in weekly jump.
I see, thanks for answering. It's been only few years since I starded to follow news from industry so I have been wondering what was the situation before that. No doubt, it's the biggest manga in Japan, but what about the rest of the world? Seems to me that it's just not as popular as some other SJ titles (Naruto for example). But than again, Viz release 30 volumes of OP in half a year so I guess it's not doing bad.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Jure wrote:
Keiichi-chan wrote:
Jure wrote:

I see, thanks for answering. It's been only few years since I starded to follow news from industry so I have been wondering what was the situation before that. No doubt, it's the biggest manga in Japan, but what about the rest of the world? Seems to me that it's just not as popular as some other SJ titles (Naruto for example). But than again, Viz release 30 volumes of OP in half a year so I guess it's not doing bad.

it's very popular in certain countries in europe and asian, but it hasn't become nearly as big in america. it does well in america, just not mainstream level sales.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's very popular in certain countries in europe and asian, but it hasn't become nearly as big in america. it does well in america, just not mainstream level sales.

Why do I get the feeling that by mainstream levels you actually mean that OP has not sold high numbers.

Being mainstream is not synonymous with high sales.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Right now, One Piece is the manga series that is pretty much heavily driving the sales of Weekly Shounen Jump itself.

The only other series that I know of that really helps drive sales of the original manga magazine is Hiro Mashima's Fairy Tail, which appears in Kodansha's Shouen Magazine. (I have all 12 translated volumes from Del Rey, with the 13th and later translated volumes coming from Kodansha directly, if I remember correctly.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3